PDA

View Full Version : My experience playing the game at PAX Prime 2013

TheWolfLoki
08-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I tried to keep this as Spoiler-free as possible so anyone can read it without worry :)

As a fan of Banner Saga: Factions, and Banner Saga as a whole, I was excited for it being shown at Penny Arcade Expo Prime. The first thing after entering through the "floodgate" entrance to PAX was finding the Indie Megabooth where Stoic's booth was located.

When I arrived at their booth, two laptop computers were being used to play the game and I could see emotion running through the player's faces; excitement, deep-thought, and joy. Beautiful art surrounded me, there were prints of backgrounds, characters, battlefields, and scenes from the game I had yet to see. Honestly, it blew me away. From playing Factions and seeing screenshots online I thought I knew what to expect but nothing prepared me for the wonder of it all. The art style is absolutely incredible.

When the girl playing the game on the right laptop saw that there was a line of others wanting to get their chance to play, she ended the cut-scene and got up. I took her place and clicked through a cut-scene's dialogue, choosing my own responses. I soon entered battle and saw many new units all over the battlefield, ready for placement. Each unit had it's own special character art, and abilities. The abilities stretch far beyond those already found in Factions and each unit really felt like it fit into a role no other could match. I used my strategies previously forged in Factions to break the oppositions armor to pieces and dance around enemies' formations.
The game felt really good, in fact, it felt GREAT. Everything ran smoothly, and combat was a blast. The passive and active abilities were a mix of old and new, some of those available in Factions even worked in new ways, and I could immediately tell the game's combat had progressed to an even deeper strategical point. After intense rounds of combat, I was back into the story line, choosing dialogue paths, and gaining insights to the characters. The backgrounds looked incredible, and each character was highly detailed and felt completely unique.

I wish I could have played longer, but there were others waiting for their chance, and I didn't want to deprive anyone of the opportunity to play such a great game. I am excited to get Banner Saga when it releases and excited to play more Factions in the meantime.

If you are attending PAX this weekend, I urge you to stop by the Stoic booth located in the Indie Megabooth and check out the game for yourself!

stoicmom
08-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Way to go TheWolfLoki :D THANKS!

TheWolfLoki
08-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Thank you! I was absolutely stunned by the game :)

Aleonymous
08-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the --spoiler free-- briefing, WolfLoki! :)

I don't believe there exists the person who won't have his jaw drop when he first sees and feels the game :rolleyes:

Patience my friends, patience. :cool:

gnarlyhotep
09-04-2013, 03:36 PM
My experience was pretty much the same as TheWolfLoki's. The game felt smooth, like a release product much more than a beta. I was very impressed with the quality of the animation and the overall feel of gameplay.

The whole experience was good enough that it convinced two of my friends to get the game.

One of the better booth experiences there. Well done all.

stoicmom
09-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Wow! gnarlyhotep, thanks for sharing your experience :D

Aleonymous
09-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks gnarlyhotep! Those of us who couldn't make it just have to make do with the "fixes" of 5mins play-thru vids every 2-3 days :p

I'm sure the devs need the positive-review "buff" to keep them "on fire" in order to deliver the game as soon as varlly possible :)