PDA

View Full Version : Varl Fight Illustration

sirgreensock
09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Hey everyone! It's been awesome going through the threads here and seeing the fan art and stories everyone has created.

Thought I'd share my Banner Saga inspired art started after a Factions play session a little while back that I finally got around to finishing. Tried to give it my own take on the fantastic art and design of the Banner Saga world. Can't wait to see the campaign finished!

I'd love to hear what you think, hope you like it!

http://i.imgur.com/M8iVwO7.jpg

raven2134
09-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Wowwww that's really awesome! I love the intensity captured in the illustration, the colors and facial exp are really well done too!

quartex
09-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Wow, that's a really good picture and the units are instantly recognizable. Nice job!

Aleonymous
09-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Truly awesome Tempest captured! I never quite liked those long-gloves the Warhawk usually sports, so your depiction of scaled-mail shirt is much better. Thrasher and Backbiter are in for a lot of pain :) Poor archer didn't make it :(

Great detail & shading. I especially like the Warhawk's sword. The ripples in the steel seem alive!

Guğmundr
09-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Epic fanart, sirgreensock! I especially like the environment, reminds me a bit of N. C. Wyath. Nice lighting job, also.

stoicmom
09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Incredible depiction sirgreensock WOW! thanks for sharing :D

Slimsy Platypus
09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
holy cow this is cool! You are super talented! Well done!

Kuba
09-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Pretty awesome. Hope to see more from you.

Rodick
09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Great job what you did there, i downloaded this picture and made wallpaper for my phone and PC... :) Hope there will be more :o

Arnie
09-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Sirgreensock, where do you work? You're obviously a professional. This is totally badass and is my new wallpaper. Well done, sir!
Just sent this to the team, a little pick-me-up.

John
09-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Amazing piece of art! It totally captures the feel of combat and the power of the Varl!

Alex
09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Hooooly shit, that is absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much for the post!

Aleonymous
09-25-2013, 03:02 AM
This does not seem like a digitally-created painting. What did you use?

sirgreensock
09-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Wow! Thanks for the kind words everyone!

raven2134 - Thank you, I'm glad you like!

quartex - Thanks!

Aleonymous - Thanks! I tried to give the units a slight twist through my own eyes while keeping them recognizable. The damascus steel of the sword was a blast to paint!

Guğmundr - Thank you, that's quite the compliment, Wyeth was incredible!

stoicmom - Thanks!

Slimsy Platypus - Thank you!

Kuba - Thanks, after seeing the Youtube clips, might have to give painting a dredge a go :D

Arnie - Wow, thank you for the kind words, sir! I'm stoked you and the team liked it :D Yeah, I've been working in the games industry for 3 years now, hopping around from freelance to various studios in Toronto. Never worked on something as cool as Banner Saga though :P

John - Thank you! I'm glad you think so!

Alex - Thanks!

Aleonymous - It's actually 100% digital, all done in Photoshop with a tablet, but I'm glad to hear it doesn't look overly digital :)

Aleonymous
09-25-2013, 08:39 AM
It's actually 100% digital, all done in Photoshop with a tablet, but I'm glad to hear it doesn't look overly digital :)

You kidding? :D It looks overly analogue! I am by no means an artist, but I thought --at least-- I could tell the difference... :o

Its funny how some people can create such wonderful things on a paper while others can't even draw a straight line... :rolleyes:

Rodick
09-25-2013, 08:44 AM
You kidding? :D It looks overly analogue! I am by no means an artist, but I thought --at least-- I could tell the difference... :o

Its funny how some people can create such wonderful things on a paper while others can't even draw a straight line... :rolleyes:

Im among those others :D

Aleonymous
09-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Its funny how some people can create such wonderful things on a paper while others can't even draw a straight line... :rolleyes:I'm among those others :D

That makes two of us :D Given a computer, I have some aptitude with linear-graphics and all that's straight-lines and coloring. But, when it comes to free-hand, texturing, shading etc (drawing, in a word!), then I am as good as an Ogre...

Shiri
09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Very impressive. Do you have a portfolio somewhere I could look at?

Aleonymous
09-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Do you have a portfolio somewhere I could look at?

You mean this -- http://www.odicart.com/ (http://www.odicart.com/)? (got it from sirgreensock's signature)

stoicmom
09-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Glad you saw this Shiri :D

Tatski
09-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Awesome man! Reminds me of earlier MtG art, probably alliances set. :)

Yellow
09-25-2013, 12:03 PM
very impressive! nice work man!

sirgreensock
09-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey thanks for the awesome response guys!

http://www.odicart.com/ is my current portfolio, but pretty out of date due to NDA stuff. I have more recent sketches and studies on my blog here: http://nikolaodic.tumblr.com/

Here's the original sketch I'd done a while back for this painting, changed a lot since then but kept the overall composition, was mainly picking at this painting during lunch breaks from work:
http://i.imgur.com/LDpErfG.jpg

Slimsy Platypus
09-25-2013, 12:58 PM
sirgreensock - I absolutely HAD to take a minute to log in to my profile at work (shhh... :)) to tell you that I absolutley love the sketch version. I mean I love the painted image (I instantly saved it the first time I read this thread), but the hard contrast in the details on the Varl's faces and the details in the background just make the sketch work so well. You have re-blown me away man! Loving loving loving your work!

liongordy
09-25-2013, 01:41 PM
This is absolutely astounding. It gives a remarkable feeling of depth and reality to the Banner Saga. It actually creates the feeling of reality for the giants and their horns. Arnie, you better watch your back with this guy!! I have made this my wallpaper on my computer. Such dedication from a backer who obviously has been really impressed with the game. I am really impressed.

sirgreensock
09-25-2013, 09:19 PM
All this talk of wallpapers makes me feel bad for providing such a low res image, so here's a pretty hi res image showing all the sloppy brushstrokes for your perusal :P

LINK (http://odicart.com/upload/VarlFight-HiRes.jpg)

This is actually 1/3 of the original size, original painting is about 5000x6000px :O

Aleonymous
09-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Thank you sir! Much appreciated. (yikes, the thrasher's shield was really broken to splinters!)

Now, when can we expect your next "pickings during lunch-break" :D ? I'd like something in landscape this time :p

stoicmom
10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
sirgreensock, got some help this past weekend and your depiction is now my wallpaper, too :D thanks!

Tychoxi
11-08-2013, 06:13 PM
holy cow, hope I like it? I funkin love it.

loveboof
11-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Poor archer didn't make it :(

It looks like the Thrasher is protecting the fallen archer, so maybe she's not quite dead yet :)

Amazing illustration though! - I have to say, imo it's the best work you've done (from looking at your blog)...

Myll_Erik
11-14-2013, 12:18 PM
This is superb! Mind if we share it via our social channels?