PDA

View Full Version : Will the save file from Chapter 1 being able to be loaded in future releases?

Slimsy Platypus
10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I wonder if The Banner Saga will allow you to take a save file from Chapter 1 and load it into Chapter 2 once it is released?

A bunch of games have done this in the past. In some senses it could help us feel like we own our progress, but in another it might make it feel like we HAVE to create a perfect save file (which is scary considering the nature of the decision system).

Aleonymous
10-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Your enthusiasm carried you too far ahead, Slimsy! :) Lets just wait for the first Saga/Chapter and see how it does.

But, coming back to the question, I'd love to have such a feature, especially if Saga #2 differentiates its plot right from the start-point, depending on your imported save from Saga #1. In some RPGs, the initial character-generation guided you through some questions and stuff and depending on your answers, it generated a team or character or starting conditions. Perhaps something similar could apply for the Saga #2, but you get to skip this if you have your Saga #1 save imported. In any case, I guess that Stoic will have to make it equally playable by new players too, so I wouldn't hope for bringing in a mighty +3 sword... :D

dufake
10-11-2013, 08:02 AM
What if we port our party from BS Factions to episode one?

Therefore, we don't have to worry if we can not find a game for high power units.
There will be no rest for the heroes

el-zach
10-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Please don't make huge interwebbing story decisions matter in a sequel*ish game.
I always feel like the developers have to use to much resources to just cover the choices of previous games - which often leads to a very generic feeling and leads to (at least for me) the opposite impression of having choice which matters.
Often phrases like "It was like making two games [...]" is used - and i really do believe so. But inmyhumbleopinion replayability is best achieved through a deep story.
Anyways - Stoic will find a good way to implement the one or the other. :)

raven2134
10-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Perhaps could give you the most salient choices to make at the start of Chap 2. Like a prologue narration or something, which could allow you to approximate the playthru on the previous chapter...

This is an interesting area for brainstorming :).

Given how variable your cast will be at the end of Chap. 1 (due to diff people dying/living as you make decisions), I too still wonder how they could make that persistent in Chap. 2.

Aleonymous
10-14-2013, 03:33 AM
What if we port our party from BS Factions to episode one?

Hello dufake, and welcome to the community! :)

There have been extensive discussions about the interplay between Factions and Saga. I would surely like to see something like that, as both games (assuming that they are different games) will profit from this. Concerning your idea, I think it more likely to port a party from Saga to Factions, and not the other way around... Dunno

Please don't make huge interwebbing story decisions matter in a sequel*ish game. I always feel like the developers have to use to much resources to just cover the choices of previous games - which often leads to a very generic feeling and leads to (at least for me) the opposite impression of having choice which matters. Often phrases like "It was like making two games [...]" is used - and i really do believe so.

Well met, el-zach. :)

I don't know what [game(s)] you have in mind, but I do agree that it can be a real pain to design a game with the "burden" of all the past actually interfering with the present. All the more so, for such small dev-crews and such deep games...

Given how variable your cast will be at the end of Chap. 1 (due to diff people dying/living as you make decisions), I too still wonder how they could make that persistent in Chap. 2.

Like they say in football: "one match at a time". Let us first tackle Saga #1, and worry for Saga #2 later! :) If I had to choose, I'd say go for a good finite game, and not a infinite bad one.

netnazgul
10-14-2013, 09:02 AM
I think that making a separate story with different characters and references to previous events (or parallel events) is the best way developers have done it in the past (as is in Fallout 1/2 (stronger reference) or Elder Scrolls series (loose reference) or type-your-series-here).

el-zach
10-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Am totally with you netnazgul.
I didn't play it that much, but Golden Sun 2 had an interesting relationship to it's previous characters, as you were playing the former antagonists.
However i was under the impression that the Banner Saga's story was mainly about the traveling caravan, so i guess it'd make sense if _a_ following chapter would also center around that same caravan.

I'm just hyped for this game. It's been to long without a proper SRPG in my hands.

Arnie
10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
I wonder if The Banner Saga will allow you to take a save file from Chapter 1 and load it into Chapter 2 once it is released?

A bunch of games have done this in the past. In some senses it could help us feel like we own our progress, but in another it might make it feel like we HAVE to create a perfect save file (which is scary considering the nature of the decision system).

Our current plan is to have your game/decisions transfer over from one game to the next. It is one story divided into 3 books. However, we also plan on having an option to start with a 'default' lineup of characters if you wish. This is necessary for players who just bought The Banner Saga 2 and avoided the first one...for whatever reason.

netnazgul
10-19-2013, 02:38 AM
This is necessary for players who just bought The Banner Saga 2 and avoided the first one...for whatever reason.

Why would anyone do that?! :eek: