PDA

View Full Version : OUYA: The First "Middle Ground" Console

GeekBabel
07-15-2012, 04:01 PM
It doesn't seem as if anyone has made a ouya thread on this forum yet so here one is. Now what you read below will be in support of OUYA but you can say what ever you want to say about it in replies it whether you like it or hate it.

It seems to me that the main problem most people have with ouya is that it cant support games with current gen graphics calls itself a console and yet it can't compete with the big three. It runs on the same os as alot of mobile devices and yet it values itself above them.

Well before I say anything else I wanna address one thing. Yes the OUYA would not be capable of handling games like Crysis 2 or Assassins Creed Revelations etc. but I don't think it's right to insinuate that just because a game doesn't have amazing graphics it is a bad game. Yes good graphics do help to immerse the player into the world of the game making them feel more at home but great art work can provide a since of wonderment and euphoria. Take a player from the world in which they are and bringing them into one that they have never experienced before. Take a look at games like bastion, limbo, super meat boy, and spelunky. Those games don't have realistic graphics but I don't believe anyone can argue that they weren't smash hits on day one of their releases and then on. And the reason is what they lacked in realism they more than made up for in Artistic style, innovative gameplay,elegant story telling and beautiful music. As far as I'm concerned xbox and ps3 can keep the mass effect's and heavy rain's. The OUYA will do just fine with out them.

I think the misconception that everyone seems to be adopting is that they are trying to be a XBOX killer or PS3 destroyer. But to me it doesn't feel that way at all. And neither are they trying to overshadow the mobile market. It seems to me that they are trying to take the best of both worlds. In a sense creating a middle ground between console and mobile while trying to please the average gamer and the developer at the same time. For the gamer the ability to play games on the tv that they wouldn't be able to otherwise without unconventional means and for the developer, easy access to the system with out having to jump through a ton of hoops.

Look even it's biggest supporters can see that the OUYA isn't perfect but ROME wasn't built in a day. I know its easy to sit back and think "even if the OUYA fails someday the gaming world will be like this anyway" but why cant that day be today? Why wait when it's right here in front of your face. Even though $99 is quite reasonable for what they are offering I realize this is still a risk but sometimes you gotta take a chance. Maybe we won't change the world of gaming but it's a step in the right direction

Kletian999
05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Square ported FFIII to the Ouya, which is great because I hate handheld consoles; I hope other JRPGs can find their way there.

trisenk
05-24-2013, 10:20 AM
It was an easy job because it's already been ported to Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFII I_GP

Kletian999
05-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I dislike Smartphones more than I dislike the DS, so I'm still happy they did it :)

roder
05-29-2013, 09:37 AM
what type of gamer are they trying to market to? doesnt really appeal to me, but who knows. console market is opening up, with steambox coming too, and possibly xbox1 getting really bad PR lately lol

Rensei
05-30-2013, 05:51 AM
So they made a tool that works like a smartphone plugged to TV and called it a console?
The power of most of android/ios games/apps(twitch) is the fact You can play them on the go. At home, You would probably want to play more complex stuff.

I am really surprised it got so much support and attention, but then again I am weird. I don't even own a TV.

stoicmom
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
+1 for you Rensei (no tv) or we wouldn't be experiencing your incredible imaginations;)

Kletian999
05-30-2013, 12:25 PM
There are some portable games that have interested me; but portable systems use of tiny screens and batteries ruin the experience for me (and I presume other Ouya backers like myself). Also, the Ouya allows the chance to make more complex games in Android (from what I gathered, Android is a very developer friendly language /OS) which can eventually reach other phones as their tech improves.

Rensei
05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Apologies if my post came out a bit harsh - didn't mean to say that all Ouya supporters are silly or something.

It is true that Android is a very flexible platform, that can do/be a lot more, if given strong enough hardware, but I just don't see how an advanced, stronger version of it could compete with a mid-tier gaming laptop (that You can use on couch or in bed).

The PS, Xbox crowd already offers decent visuals and has the social factor going (it's a party! everybody grab your stick with a glowing ball!), while the current android devices offer amazing mobility (I can imagine the battery time being a problem, those things go down fast, plus some games block the phone function).

Kletian999
05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Ideally, the Ouya will be easier for end users to get games on their TV and using a controller (than a laptop) while more developer friendly than the big name consoles. It's also refreshing every game has some form of demo; which is falling out of favor in the rest of the gaming world.