PDA

View Full Version : Can we all agree that this Saga image is breath taking?

Slimsy Platypus
11-19-2013, 07:43 PM
http://s14.postimg.org/i3oigvcip/Banner_saga_rook_allette.jpg

Guğmundr
11-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I certainly can!

raven2134
11-20-2013, 12:32 AM
It's my new TBS wallpaper :)

Myll_Erik
11-20-2013, 01:47 AM
It's even better once you hear the story!

Aleonymous
11-20-2013, 02:30 AM
It's my new TBS wallpaper :)

Same here ;)

Kuba
11-20-2013, 05:57 AM
I agree, it is breathtaking.

Arnie
11-20-2013, 07:06 AM
I like her shoes. The girl with the green cloak. Notice the shoes!

StandSure
11-20-2013, 08:25 AM
LOL, I had NOT noticed her shoes. Cute shoes, Arnie. Like she wrapped her feet up in fresh leaves.

Aleonymous
11-20-2013, 09:09 AM
So, you StoicStudio guys, have you ever explicitly stated/identified what was it that made you name your game Banner Saga? What is the concept idea there, the inception that unfurled into this Saga?

Tirean
11-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Haha, Arnie is like that little kid trying to impress his parents and hoping they put the picture on the fridge :D

Arnie
11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
So, you StoicStudio guys, have you ever explicitly stated/identified what was it that made you name your game Banner Saga? What is the concept idea there, the inception that unfurled into this Saga?

I don't think we have. After coming up with the basic story and the graphic imagery of a long red banner which was increasingly becoming an identifiable symbol we originally titled the game 'The Banner'. But Alex thought it conjured up ideas of some lame internet banner advert. So he added Saga to the tail since it was a 3 book story idea. 'The Banner Saga' was born!

Forget all this, please put the image located at the top of the thread on your refrigerator.

netnazgul
11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Remember the shoes, my Duke. Remember the shoes!

anevilyak
11-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Is there a higher resolution version of that available somewhere? I at least couldn't find it in the gallery.

Guğmundr
11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Is there a higher resolution version of that available somewhere? I at least couldn't find it in the gallery.

Here you go, from the press release:

http://pressreleases.triplepointpr.com/wp-content/uploads/front_screen_flat.png

anevilyak
11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks!

Arnie
11-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Symbolism: What does the raven above Alette/Rook represent?

Wordplay
11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
It is clearly the raven of happiness. :)

Alright, I'll play. There's the obvious connotation of impending disaster or death, which comes from the raven's nature as a carrion eater. So I suppose you could say it represents how the caravan are shadowed by death.

Or it could foreshadow Rook losing Alette (both Rook and the raven are corvids...and that raven could just about pass for a rook, looking at it's beak (which is curved in the manner of a rook)). In this interpretation the raven symbolises how Rook himself will soon be alone.

Or consider the raven from the story of Noah's Ark... it either never returned, or brought back no news. Taking this interpretation, the raven represents a futile journey or endeavour, which suggests an unfortunate end for the convoy.

Or considering the intelligence of corvids in general, and perhaps the fables of Aesop, perhaps the raven symbolises the ingenuity that people are capable of when their back is to the wall.

Yet I think of Odin's ravens, whose names I believe translate to 'thought' and 'memory'. I prefer the interpretation that the raven symbolises memory: specifically the continuing remembrance of what is told.

balnoisi
11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Symbolism: What does the raven above Alette/Rook represent?

well, the young one is terminally ill. the raven can smell the death incoming and is licking its own beak in anticipation of the feast, for it has seen her bathing in the river and knows under that skirt she hides a big, round, meaty arse. the bird will be the first one but you know there's actually another caravan, one of scavenger animals just waiting in line.

OR the animal is being possessed by an ancestor who dissaproves the incestuous relationship between Rook and Alette. " after all what kind of father sits her daughter on his lap like that ? and there they go, choosing a tree far away from everyone else. she looks old enough so why not arrange a marriage and give her to the Strand City Governor ? hmmph ! "

BUT being this a fantasy somewhat based on scandinavian mithology i'd go for the spiritual : it's the personification of one of the gods (one not so dead maybe); perhaps its the tall, languid, sad character previously known as Juno watching over the last hope for this worlds (and her) survival.

PS. by the way it's my favourite image of the saga so far too. i made it a wallpaper of mine the moment i saw it weeks ago http://s24.postimg.org/sw7j1z36r/dsk_slidenologo1080_blue.jpg for the desktop i prefer it without the logo.

quartex
11-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Or the raven could be either Huginn or Muninn, former messenger of the god Odin.

Arnie
11-21-2013, 06:52 AM
HAHAHAhahaha...Wordplay and Balnoisi, what awesome write-ups. I think that is all correct. You guys nailed it! Great posts to start the day with.

Slimsy Platypus
11-21-2013, 08:33 AM
The raven appears to be watching over Rook and Allette, with its gaze focused on the awaiting caravan as Allette sews the Skogr banner. The representation of the raven is also repeated on the artwork we've seen for "Juno". Perhaps the same forces that have brought the caravan together will bring Juno to Rook and Allette? Perhaps Juno IS the raven! What a great teaser to the Saga's story!

http://s23.postimg.org/4kzywe4ij/ku_xlarge_2.jpg

Aleonymous
11-22-2013, 04:48 AM
Indeed, Wordplay cornered the symbolism very thoroughly, in order for balnoisi to nail it with that Juno/raven dichotomy. That picture posted by Slimsy, where Juno dons a raven-wing mantle, proves the latter with reasonably small doubt :rolleyes:

PS #1 -- I thought the symbolism was linked to raven2134, somehow ;) Also, there's another three characters that dominate the scene: Rook, Alette & Iver. That can only be a reference to the "Stoic-three". I'll let you guys decide who-is-who. The rest of those people waiting in the valley can't be anyone else than... well.. us! The members of the community :) The march begins at 14 January!

PS #2 -- I wasn't sure what the relation was between Rook & Alette, because their ages seem not so different. I had even suspected the possibility of a "love-triangle" when Juno popped in the story too :p But, to my disappointment, Stoic confirmed that romance has no place in this war-torn story of long red banners and bearded vikings :(

Arnie
11-22-2013, 07:17 AM
More good stuff. You guys definitely dig.
Aleo: Rook is, of course, Alette's dad. He's got gray in his hair and beard with wrinkles under his eyes. :)

I don't want to bring up more symbolism questions because I think some could give away story points as possible spoilers.
(We could have had a field day with the TBS poster. There's a lot of it there, but much would not be understood until you play Ch3.)

I really like Alette's shoes. I don't normally brag about something I drew, but I really nailed it with those shoes. If there is a 'best' of TBS art, it's those shoes. My eyes go straight to them every time. (this is not a symbolism hint)

Aleonymous
11-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Now that you brought up symbolism (even though you said you tried not to), I'll point out some more symbolic "elements" of this picture, along with some possible interpretations:

The red fruit, like berries, on the tree branch the raven is perched. (a bait? an unreachable goal?)
The presence of dark, gloomy forest on either side of the main focus. (enemies all around us? despair closing in?)
How the red banner is spread and eventually goes away into the dark forest. (river of blood? how we must face the dark forest?)
The opening of the horizon that leads down a valley full of people, and eventually into a river. (hope in unity?)
How Rook leans on both his axe, as well as on a stone block carved with ancient mystical symbols (rely on war & magic, as in your own abilities and divine intervention, respectively?)

Slimsy Platypus
11-22-2013, 08:12 AM
It's just such an amazing image. When I first looked closely at it I asked myself: "why would an entire caravan sit idly (with no signs of discontent) as this young girl sits down an sews a banner? Perhaps the answer is simply that the Banner represents the entire clan, and Allette is sewing the caravan's story or additional representations of clans as they progress.

Perhaps it goes even further than that though! With Alette's leafy shoes, earth-tone color scheme, and ties to the land through her father's "landsman" background she is clearly associated very closely to the "earth" or whatever the Stoic equivalent is. Perhaps Allette is a protectorate or sorts, and she has a unique advantage over the impending doom spreading across the land. Maybe she has some innate ability that others don't that ties into getting rid of the Dredge? Maybe she holds some "ring-of-powerish" item that the world requires for salvation!... or maybe she is just sewing the Banner.

Regardless, you have to give Arnie and stoic some props; the image is absolutely beautiful and the fact that there is a story told within it that we can pick apart without any "real" background knowledge just goes to show the depth and richness of what is here. I'm so grateful that Arnie and the Stoic team decided to make this game. If nothing else, the artwork has already done it for me. The upside is that in addition I get to play a game I'm super excited about while I "unlock" more artwork to see! (but don't let me downplay how excited I am for everything else in addition to the artwork :))

Aleonymous
11-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Perhaps it goes even further than that though! With Alette's leafy shoes, earth-tone color scheme, and ties to the land through her father's "landsman" background she is clearly associated very closely to the "earth" or whatever the Stoic equivalent is. Perhaps Allette is a protectorate or sorts, and she has a unique advantage over the impending doom spreading across the land. Maybe she has some innate ability that others don't that ties into getting rid of the Dredge? Maybe she holds some "ring-of-powerish" item that the world requires for salvation!... or maybe she is just sewing the Banner.

I wouldn't place all the weight of the world on Alette's fragile little shoulders. Don't forget the lesson we learned from the PAX demo play-through: Everyone is expendable! We were that close to having Alette killed by the Dredge, in the first 10 minutes of the game! :D

I wonder if there's plot-essential characters that are effectively unkillable (e.g. Rook or Alette), taking the story along with them. If they die, game over... :rolleyes:

Antares
11-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I try to avoid looking at this stunning art, it makes waiting for January even harder. But, yes, it's beautiful (and those custom banners, argh).

StandSure
11-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I really like Alette's shoes. I don't normally brag about something I drew, but I really nailed it with those shoes. If there is a 'best' of TBS art, it's those shoes. My eyes go straight to them every time. (this is not a symbolism hint)
Love it. I had a teacher in art school who told me that you knew you'd done something well when you couldn't stop looking at it afterwards. :)

Aleonymous
12-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Talking about symbolism (again), how about analyzing the poster image:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18fvxn2lcfx89jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Looks like an entire Saga is recorded in this one JPEG!

Slimsy Platypus
12-03-2013, 12:11 AM
The poster image has certainly grown on me. I dare not delve too deep in trying to guess the symbolism there because I feel like "Juno's" role is going to be very "spoilerish". She obviously plays an important role as she seemingly is a bridge of sorts between the caravan and the end of the world here.

Aleonymous
12-03-2013, 04:14 AM
She obviously plays an important role as she seemingly is a bridge of sorts between the caravan and the end of the world here.

Interesting element. So, you perceive that the right part of the image (those roots) and the obvious fall is an "end of the world" symbolism, for the future of the ascending caravan? Also, I can't help but notice that lone tree in the peak of the slope, just before the cliff edge.

Another interesting element is the pool-of-blood that mirrors the sun-stopped-in-the-sky (as a black hole!) as well as some more root-like things, that are not quite a reflection of what's above, on the "other side". Is this "dark side" some hell or corrupted underworld? Note how the pool of blood is mirrored by the crimson banner, in the "bright side" of the world.

Hmm... The dredge are linked to the deep-earth somehow (ref: they're seen springing from the earth in that awesome tapestry animation in the Factions intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9dJT8Dkj5Nw#t=340)). The word itself (dredge) is related to excavation and delving. So, perhaps those roots serve as a similar symbolism.

Finally, no raven in this picture :)