PDA

View Full Version : Rough Guide to Travel Trailer

Myll_Erik
11-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Howdy Folks!

We just uploaded a new trailer focusing on Travel! Let us know what you think and if you have any remaining questions on travel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKr4onLjgqo

quartex
11-21-2013, 09:24 AM
It looks really nice, lots of new game screens being shown here! I like how morale affects the amount of willpower you start the battle with.

K_B
11-21-2013, 09:53 AM
it looks fantastic! I thought that the graphics don't surprise me anymore but those landscapes are even more gorgeous.

Tirean
11-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Looks nice!

Really hope the interactive map has the ability to zoom out and see the whole of the map :D

Slimsy Platypus
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
The "new" battle boards look great! Bah I can't wait for the reverse Ragnorak known as the release of The Banner Saga!

Aleonymous
11-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Awesome! (this word is sorta losing its meaning, repeated so many times for TBS :))

And tons & tons of new things to look at... Morale, supplies, population, camp, renown, items, characters, battle maps, world map! Wow. We need a lot of time to process all that :D

balnoisi
11-22-2013, 08:45 AM
i thought the soundtrack was composed using wind instruments only, yet i hear a fiddle in this video. is that part of the final soundtrack for the game ?

stoicmom
11-22-2013, 08:59 AM
There was mention somewhere in all the information that solo instruments were being added along the way by Austin, but I don't remember about the family of the solo instruments . . .

gaelvin
11-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I suspect the music in this trailer is from another source; not from the actual game soundtrack.

Aleonymous
11-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Here's a breakup explanation of the TBS HUD properties, as I understood them from this guide-video:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS_HUD.png

The red text indicates push-buttons that actually do something, whereas the black ones are just monitors of your caravan's stats.

We should do a follow-up post with explanation of the basic metric -- Renown, Morale, Population & Supplies.

EDIT -- Please note the eight-pointed star design (like the one used to represent WP points!), formed by the eight things displayed in this HUD. Too much symbolism in this game! :rolleyes:

Slimsy Platypus
11-22-2013, 08:25 PM
The HUD is amazing. Compact, easy to understand, beautiful artwork, and brilliantly implemented! (and it leaves the remainder of the screen free to look over the amazing travel visuals! :)

raven2134
11-22-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm sending your labeling to Stoic so they can use it for a manual if they make one. That's an awesome photoshop :)

Aleonymous
11-23-2013, 05:29 AM
The only text on the HUD (apart from the numbers) is the population breakdown: peasants, fighters, varl. I am wondering why weren't they represented with small banners too, using icons instead of text. For instance, you could have three banners with some passive/earthen/greyscale colors for the three categories, and the icons could be something like:

a humanoid head (or a labor tool, e.g. plow, shovel) --> peasants
a humanoid head with a helm (or a weapon, e.g. axe, sword) --> fighters
a horned humanoid head (or just horns!) --> varl

raven2134
11-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Wouldn't it be hard to fit? Take additional space?

Aleonymous
11-23-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't think it would be so bad. Here's how I imagined it...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS_HUD_MyVersion.png
(P/F/V stands for Peasants/Fighter/Varl. Nice icons could be crafted for those, by somebody skilled.)

Note: I am 99% sure we've seen something like that version before (with multiple banners flying to the left of the HUD). I think it was on that Travel KS-update, but no pictures can be seen there. Perhaps they disappeared (broken links) after the hack-attacks?

LoliSauce
11-24-2013, 03:30 AM
It's too abstract like that. It'd just be another thing to explain, whereas text keeps things completely obvious.

raven2134
11-24-2013, 05:14 AM
What Lolisauce said

twincast
11-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Not any more abstract than most of the other symbols, especially Renown.

But I'm fine either way.

Aleonymous
11-24-2013, 08:30 AM
It's too abstract like that. It'd just be another thing to explain, whereas text keeps things completely obvious.

You could say that for all the other buttons (banners=Renown, sacks=Supplies, hammer=Settings etc) too. I don't think its so much more work to explain; the game got such a simple HUD/UI to start with. So, I say: Since they started it that way, why not go all the way? Also, those are not action-buttons, so they could easily add a tooltip that (when moused-over) brings up an explanation text.

But, I'm sure Stoic considered this representation style too, and dumped it. And, they know better :rolleyes:

Myll_Erik
11-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Remember to keep sharing this info with friends!

Arnie
11-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Aleo, what a cool diagram. May we use this for something in the future?
You did miss one button: There is an arrow at the top of the HUD to hide the whole thing. :)

Arnie
11-24-2013, 10:05 PM
The only text on the HUD (apart from the numbers) is the population breakdown: peasants, fighters, varl. I am wondering why weren't they represented with small banners too, using icons instead of text. For instance, you could have three banners with some passive/earthen/greyscale colors for the three categories, and the icons could be something like:

a humanoid head (or a labor tool, e.g. plow, shovel) --> peasants
a humanoid head with a helm (or a weapon, e.g. axe, sword) --> fighters
a horned humanoid head (or just horns!) --> varl

I feared there was too much info in too tight an area to handle it with art. The icons would have either had to be really, really small or I'd have to make more room for the info. We've planned for the game to be on some pretty small devices...

Awintory
11-24-2013, 10:08 PM
i thought the soundtrack was composed using wind instruments only, yet i hear a fiddle in this video. is that part of the final soundtrack for the game ?

There was mention somewhere in all the information that solo instruments were being added along the way by Austin, but I don't remember about the family of the solo instruments . . .

Hey guys! Sorry been quiet on the forums lately! The music in this trailer IS from the final score, including the solo violin. That violin is the one and only string in the score, recorded separately from Dallas Wind Symphony (aka the huge orchestra of winds, brass and percussion). I will be revealing very soon WHO the violinist is :)

There are also quite a few vocals in the score, none of which have been revealed yet :)

-Austin

gaelvin
11-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I stand corrected :)

The violin being the only string in the score should make the scene(s) where it plays quite memorable.

Aleonymous
11-25-2013, 02:20 AM
May we use this for something in the future? You did miss one button: There is an arrow at the top of the HUD to hide the whole thing. :)

I'm sure you'll come up with something prettier. But, the "ninth button" would break the eight-star pattern :o

I feared there was too much info in too tight an area to handle it with art. The icons would have either had to be really, really small or I'd have to make more room for the info. We've planned for the game to be on some pretty small devices...

So, space is the essence :) I believe that the HUD could be of even larger width, since the top of the screen is usually open sky or tree-tops, from what we've seen so far. Besides, you always have the arrow to hide the whole thing to fully take in the visual splendor! Oh, I'm sure you've tried all variations and picked the best.

quartex
11-25-2013, 08:53 AM
From what I've seen of the banner saga interface, there's no reason why it couldn't be ported at a tablet or even a smartphone. King of Dragon Pass works well on iPad and iPhone.

Aleonymous
11-25-2013, 09:15 AM
From what I've seen of the banner saga interface, there's no reason why it couldn't be ported at a tablet or even a smartphone. King of Dragon Pass works well on iPad and iPhone.

Indeed. The only thing that's kinda troublesome is the battle UI, with the little buttons, tile clicking etc. But, then again, I believe it's the limited timer that stresses things in Factions. For the Saga, where you'll have all the time in the world to decide, it shouldn't be a problem.

Awintory
11-25-2013, 06:44 PM
I stand corrected :)

The violin being the only string in the score should make the scene(s) where it plays quite memorable.

That's most certainly the hope :)

raven2134
11-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Where's that music update/trailer thingy man?! :p

Guğmundr
11-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah, no pressure, but I'm kinda waiting on pins and needles for it myself :)