PDA

View Full Version : New Character - Ekkill

Myll_Erik
12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Check out the new Character - Ekkill - on our characters page! What do you think of his portrait?

http://stoicstudio.com/characters/

Aleonymous
12-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Ekkill looks like a lunatic! :eek: Hope I won't have to face him in the Saga. He doesn't seem so... conversational :D

Do we have any details on the Grudgewielder (GW) class, Erik? Stats, active ability etc. GW isn't mentioned on the Raider subclasses, on the respective page. Spearmaster's abilities haven't been clarified either (passive nor active), but at least we've seen the sprite and the stats for that one. So, GW remains the only big mystery for the time being, along with Champion (the "fourth Shieldbanger").

quartex
12-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Interesting that the character descriptions in the main page don't match those in the Characters page. The ones in the main page have a lot more plot spoilers:

"Ekkill is running the show in Frostvellr and will outright lie to the
player when they arrive to try to get their support. He’s a bloodthirsty
psychopath who will hunt you down when you flee from the overrun
city of Frostvellr."

"Onef is one of Ekkill’s lackeys, the man put in charge of the
clan’s supplies and keeping the fighters in line. He comes off
as a heartless bastard but doesn’t share Ekkill’s sheer ruthlessness. "

I'm assuming that Frostvellr is overrun with Dredge, but I could be wrong...

balnoisi
12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
i'll be playing the smartass for the fun of it, don't hold it against me.

one's a " liar and a bloodthirsty psychopath ", the other is a " heartless bastard " ... these are very subjective descriptions of characters we don't know yet, we haven't met them. i'd rather much know about characters by what they say and do and how they say it and do it. when Myll_Erik asks here : " what do you think of him ? " my answer has to be : "sir, i think he is a bloodthirsty psychopath ! ", not much room for anything else, is it ?

so yeah of course there's gotta be all kind of characters, but for the sake of the saga here's hoping we don't get too many stereotypical one-faced flat uninteresting bad guys. nor good ones either ! not to mention Ekkil's role seems to have been completely revealed, will he have room to surprise us players ? i think i won't be reading more character descriptions to keep the spoilers away.

end of it, now i'll go back to make positive comments again.

quartex
12-02-2013, 09:59 PM
As much as I enjoy learning about the plot of The Banner Saga, I agree that the recent descriptions are a bit heavy on the spoilers. I'd prefer character descriptions that are more descriptive and don't go into as much plot detail (like the fact that Ekkill will lie to the player and then try to hunt them down when they flee). I'm guessing the recent character descriptions are being written by Versus Evil, not Stoic which, may explain the difference in tone and style.

Slimsy Platypus
12-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I've always loved the 2D artwork for the Grudgewielder, and even spotted him in the original Banner Saga trailer sitting next to the giant old Varl at the campfire :) I especially like the imagery on his shield!

I do agree a bit with the others on spoilers as it seems some people really don't like getting exposed to portions of the story. For me personally, I've never been big on avoiding spoilers as they don't really bother me and I still enjoy the context of a strong story. Regardless, I've absolutely enjoyed the little tid bits we've been being exposed to in the website; I've been checking it every day! I can't wait to learn what the Grudgeweilder's active ability does!

Myll_Erik
12-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Updated to remove some spolier info :)

Myll_Erik
12-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Well - still, you'll have to meet him in person to form a better opinion. You don't really know his back story at all yet.

Aleonymous
12-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Perhaps we are meant to deal with those... subjective details... as the hearsay that goes around about those characters. The rumors that circulate them. The dialogues and narration in the game may be extensive, but you can't really put in all the characters' back-stories. So, you need some sort of introduction material. Perhaps that exact passage is what some guardsman tells you about Ekkill when you first reach Frostvellr. Perhaps Ekkill turns out to be a real sweetheart and the person that says this about him is the liar... :rolleyes:

Well, now with actual spoilers removed, all is fine :)

Aleonymous
12-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Updated to remove some spolier info :)

Hmm... It seems like the info concerning Ekkill is too fragmented in the website. We got three slightly different descriptions in

the Main Page (slide-show at the bottom) -- "...meets the player when they arrive to try to get support."
the Blog -- "... is quite the character – that’s for sure. When you encounter him in the story, make sure you keep your eyes on him!"
the Characters page -- "... a bloodthirsty psychopath who will stop at nothing to get what he wants."

raven2134
12-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Just leave it :p. Got it fixed so at least it doesn't spoil anything.