PDA

View Full Version : What are your questions?

Myll_Erik
12-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Looking to see what kind of questions everyone has on their mind about The Banner Saga - going to try and tailor upcoming info releases for you folks as much as I can! Post away!

roder
12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Hmmm I might be re-asking questions, but here are some off the top of my head:

1. I know you can replay it endlessly, but how many hour of gameplay can we expect from one playthrough of Chapter 1?

2. Are we able to become an evil band of vikings or the anti-hero, so to say, or is it mostly us being the good guys and Dredge being bad guys?

3. How big do you guys envision this becoming? I know the kickstarter and all has already surpassed your expectations, but now that you know what this game can do, are you guys looking for longer than a trilogy, maybe other offshoots (eg. Factions) etc.

4. Considering how long it took to create Chapter 1, will it take the same amount of time to create Chapter 2? or is the foundation already set, making chapter 2 a bit easier/faster to come together. (I took this one from chat/forums i think)

5. Are there any difficulty modes? If not, how hard would you say the game is generally?

Slimsy Platypus
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm very interested in the upcoming unit's abilities and classes that we haven't seen yet. I've been loving how the site is handling it!

Also, a bit more specifically:

1. Are there multiple endings?

2. How much of the game includes fully animated sequences? Are they a few occurrences sprinkled throughout like the classic final fantasy series or much more frequently like a more modern RPG?

3. Are there (still) any plans to link factions to the single player story in terms of unlocks, city development, etc.?

4. When building teams in the single player, will we be limited to 6 units and the individual class limitations (i,e. Can we bring more than two Varl to battle? Will we ever fight with 7, 8, 9, + units on our side?

Wordplay
12-05-2013, 12:56 AM
I'd like more detail on how battles work. We've been told that units with high morale can start with above average willpower. We've also been told that sometimes you fight skirmishes, representing actual skirmishes, and that sometimes you fight in 'wars' where the whole caravan's fighters participate. In war, we hear, you can elect to fight tougher battles, or essentially elect to fight sequential battles with injured units. Winning these tougher fights translates to fewer losses in your caravan. I'd also like to know a bit more about how the AI behaves, both tactically in battles, and also how the NPC losses are calculated. For example, is there a random component in it, so that you can have numerical superiority, win a Factions style skirmish-battle, but still suffer a defeat? And what are the consequences of defeat, tactically, strategically, or even in story terms? I appreciate that we can put a fair bit of information together, and we've been shown many bits in isolation, but I'd quite like to see it all working together with an explanation as to how the parts interact.

Could we have a play through or trailer demonstrating battle, but focusing on the things about it that are different from Factions? Particularly, how battles feed into the strategic situation?

Also, naturally interested in lore, units abilities, Dredge and Dredge abilities, but expect only a drip-feed on info on that, with much of it likely being held back until Chapter 1 release.

Aleonymous
12-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Hi Erik :)

Here's my list. Also, note that I am repeating some of the above; the ones I really want to know more about:

New classes & abilities -- Still waiting on Grudgewielder, Wardog & Champion! Beserker, Spearman & Mender too...
Items -- Are there any other "Greater" magic items, like the Horn? Or just the per-unit equip-able ones we glimpsed?
AI and difficulty modes -- Is there an option to select difficulty level? Any special rewards for taking it harder?
Large-scale Wars -- As asked by Wordplay (above).
Essential differences in battles wrt Factions -- For example, Pillage-mode, Renown-gain, unit death/knockout
Save/Load mechanism
"Transcendence" God Stones (image below) -- What are they for?
Lore -- Is there stuff like books or discussions, that don't help "beat the game", but offer depth and wealth to the world?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/046/475/379591f60325ff7d75f0616a5567a74b_large.jpg?1381454 218

And a couple of more down-to-earth stuff: Pre-order? Price?

quartex
12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm curious about the re-playability of The Banner Saga. I've been playing a lot of FTL recently, and the event pool is small enough that if you play the game enough you will see the same event pop up. But when you pick an action it may not always succeed, there's often a percentage change of success and failure. The same is true for King of Dragon Pass. Depending on the people in your clan ring (or the stats of the person trying the action) you won't always succeed.

I know The Banner Saga will have lot of random events, but when replaying the same event will the same action always succeed/fail? Or to take an example from the PAX demo, will selecting certain actions always cause Alette to be attacked by a Dredge? I'm wondering if players who are familiar with the game will start saying, "Oh, I know this event and I know the correct action to take" and always be right. (this is a problem with any "choose your own adventure" style game)

On a related note, do the stats of your characters have any influence outside of combat? I really like how in FTL upgrading your ship gave you new choices in events, along with improved combat abilities. I guess the Banner Saga equivalent would be which characters your have in your caravan.

quartex
12-05-2013, 10:08 AM
One more comparison to King of Dragon Pass. In combat you would select various strategies and the game will tell you the outcome of your battle. Often even if you have selected what seemed like the "best" combat actions, the battle could still go poorly for you because your opponents were stronger than you, or used magic, etc.

I'm curious how winning a battle will correspond to the outcome of a war. And I expect there's no constant rule to the outcome, I'm guessing it's a result of multiple factors. For instance if a small caravan gets attacked by thousands of dredge, even if you win the battle, I would expect your caravan to take casualties because of the massive difference in numbers of combatants. Do you have any idea what factors affect the outcome of war? Does the number of your units that get knocked out when you win a combat affect it? Does your caravan's morale affect the outcome of war, or just your willpower in combat? Does the number of peasants (and other non-combatants) in your caravan affect it?

Myll_Erik
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Please keep the questions coming folks!

Aside from the game - what about questions for Stoic?

quartex
12-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Here's a few more for Stoic: If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently? What do you hope to change when you start work on Chapter 2? What were your favorite (and least favorite) parts of developing The Banner Saga? What are you proudest of in the final product?

Aleonymous
12-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Here's a few more for Stoic: If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently? What do you hope to change when you start work on Chapter 2? What were your favorite (and least favorite) parts of developing The Banner Saga? What are you proudest of in the final product?

Good questions! +1. I'd like to add some in the same theme -- What was the most difficult/challenging part of the development? What was the highest-risk "gamble choice" that was eventually won or lost?

Myll_Erik
12-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Alright - Surely you folks have some more questions about the game or the future! Let me know!

hreinnbeno
12-08-2013, 05:08 AM
I have one question regarding the writing of the story to stoic.

What did you read, listen to, watch (movies or tv series) or play (video games) to get in the mood and get inspiration to write the storyline/vibe/world of The banner saga (they have probably had to answer those kind of questions before, but I just remember these questions regarding the combat and the art)

raven2134
12-08-2013, 09:09 AM
People in chat want to know about the passive ability and specific info about the spearman :)

Aleonymous
12-08-2013, 10:21 AM
People in chat want to know about the passive ability and specific info about the spearman :)

Same, for the Mender & Wardog too. Please :)

Wordplay
12-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Most of mine above were covered by the battle overview trailer (thank you again for that), but if we're asking specific questions of Stoic, then I'd like to know what the guys are up to over the next couple of months, whether it's the last polishing on Chapter 1, content for Factions, having a well earned rest, or all of the above. :)

Also, I guess, what's in the far future for Stoic? Do they want to expand the team or keep the company about the same size? I know the Banner Saga was kind of a dream project that the team worked on in their free time for a while...but are there any other game ideas that the team would like to do, apart from Chapters 2 & 3?

roder
12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
yeah I'd also like to know the future/direction of where Factions will be headed, what features from saga will they incorporate into multiplayer

Slimsy Platypus
12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
One question that has come to mind after playing Factions tonight:

In factions it's still not all that uncommon to encounter a glitch when entering a battle. The two primary ones I see are the "nothing loads with potentially floating Vikings" and the straight "minimize screen and go to loading". These bugs have been reported months ago in the bug report forum, but my question doesn't have anything to do with that (not complaining for the record :)).

Phew... with that being said, what is the expected status of the game bug-wise at release? Most importantly, are the saving measures in place that IF a player was to encounter a bug in the single player (say when entering a battle) we won't be forced to replay content we've already done?

Wordplay
12-11-2013, 05:39 AM
I thought that this had been asked elsewhere, but looking now, I can't find it.

Do we know who voiced the recent trailers? (Good job incidentally)

The lady's accent sounds like she's from the north of England...or maybe the Midlands.

Aleonymous
12-11-2013, 05:59 AM
I thought that this had been asked elsewhere, but looking now, I can't find it.

Do we know who voiced the recent trailers? (Good job incidentally)

The lady's accent sounds like she's from the north of England...or maybe the Midlands.

Aye, we raised this question to Erik's attention after the first trailer (the travel-system one). Still waiting on the answer. Perhaps its a person from VE, or one of the actresses that did the models for the archers?

Myll_Erik
12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
For the trailer - that is actually the Versus Evil marketing director - she's done VO in the past since she has such an awesome voice for it, and yes she's from the UK!

Drusain
12-13-2013, 05:52 PM
1. Will I be able to rename my characters/generics?
2. How competent is the AI? In one of the latest released videos of gameplay I saw a dredge literally walk past an archer unit to hit a raidmaster with his shield ability up.
3. In the E3, we learned that the number of AI placed on the field does not scale at all depending on how many characters you have. To me, this is make it so I have very little incentive to not bring as many characters as possible regardless of what choice I would rather pick in the story. Was scaling addressed?

Slimsy Platypus
12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
3. In the E3, we learned that the number of AI placed on the field does not scale at all depending on how many characters you have. To me, this is make it so I have very little incentive to not bring as many characters as possible regardless of what choice I would rather pick in the story. Was scaling addressed?

I think what Alex meant when he said that is that regardless of how many units you bring, you will face the same number of dredge for the particular battle scenario you are on. This actually GIVES you an incentive to bring as many characters as possible, and not give "very little incentive". The more characters you bring, the easier the battle will be. My guess is that this is intended as it makes your choices have more impact, and likely not something that needed to be fixed.

raven2134
12-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Well just to clarify, more characters vs fewer on your team (6 compared to bringing less than 6) has it's advantages and disadvantages, which you'll learn once the game gets released.

It's like what people tried in Factions.

Less than 6 - yes you get more turns PER unit. But the units also wear down faster (less targets to distribute enemy damage), and you have less options
6 - less turns PER unit, but you can distribute incoming damage better, and have more tactical options.

The turn mechanics sort of mean the game automatically adjusts so that even with a smaller than 6 team, you can still play/fight and have a chance. Generally, you will also always be wanting to bring max team, it just works better/is safer :).