PDA

View Full Version : Any info on the AI?

Cystennin
12-23-2013, 03:29 PM
After playing Factions and watching the PAX let's play video I was thoroughly convinced, that the only thing now standing between The Banner Saga and utter greatness is the AI. So, if you at Stoic could shed some information on the subject, it sure would help me to pull through the remaining weeks until I can play the already pre-ordered game.

Aleonymous
12-24-2013, 04:06 AM
I would also like to know about the AI and "how it works". Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see; about 20 days left :)

From what I've seen in the preview/demo build the AI is fairly competent and capable of offering a hard fight. But, there's considerable differences between Saga & Factions battles, as we've discussed around those forums numerous times.

For my part, I've been trying to lay out the details of how I'd build an AI for Factions. That project has gone in hiatus for 2-3 months but, hopefully, it will pick up... Here's the two threads; unfortunately no official response from StoicStudio there (and particularly John Watson, the Master programmer).

Towards a Factions AI: Part A -- Simulator for Rank-0 units (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1863-Towards-a-Factions-AI-Part-A-Simulator-for-Rank-0-units)
Towards a Factions AI: Part B -- What is the strongest move? (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1869-Towards-a-Factions-AI-Part-B-What-is-the-strongest-move)

raven2134
12-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi there. Do you mean you think, based on the preview you saw in the PAX demo, that the main issue with the game is the AI? What makes you think this :)?

Also, are there specific questions you may want to ask? Rather than let everything out of the bag before release and spoil your fun, it might be better if we discuss things more generally ;)

Cystennin
12-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Do you mean you think, based on the preview you saw in the PAX demo, that the main issue with the game is the AI?
Guess I should work more on my English... :) Sorry, what I meant was that by the end of September 2013 I failed to see anything that could possibly go wrong with TBS except for the AI, which (to my knowledge) was not at all commented upon. Needless to say that for any single-player turn-based strategy AI is completely game-changing. To me Factions felt a lot like chess in the way that I could choose which figure to move an my figures serving various purposes on the board. The result of most moves could be easily predicted with nothing more than addition and subtraction. Such degree of clarity is very unusual for computer strategies. Just like chess, the general rules are simple, but there's still a lot of depth behind them. And while I instantly fell in love with Factions combat mechanics, I thought, that the only thing to spoil it would be the lack of decent opponent.

As for the specifics... I'm no programmer, so I'll put it bluntly: is the AI good? ;)