PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Einartoft

ArchbishopSurprise
01-15-2014, 04:39 PM
First, I want to say that this game is amazing. I love the heavy, potentially drastic/fantastic decision making events that can result in wildly different outcomes, like a favored character's death or the addition of powerful new allies. I have been doing little else but play this game since release and I'm seriously in love. However, I've run into a couple problems that make it difficult for me to proceed.

[Spoilers ahead!]

I've just left Einartoft with Iver in tow, but while I was given an event saying that about half of the last Varl stronghold was to join him, I only have the 50 or so Varl that Rook had with him when he first arrived. Then, I had another event where Ubin, his bodyguard and more "warriors" join me, but yet again, I have no extra Varl in my caravan. I'm now desperately avoiding any war combat, as I don't think I have the army to handle it. Is this intentional that I don't receive extra units after leaving Einartoft, or is this the game-breaking bug I'm afraid it is?

And please, please tell me there's a new game plus option once this is all over. Renown is such a precious, scarce resource that I hardly ever get to promote the characters I'd like to. But if I can retain the levels of those I've already promoted into a new game, I'd be twice as likely to play through multiple times and see what each decision gets me.

Kuba
01-16-2014, 02:18 PM
There is no new game plus.

Yellow
01-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I've just left Einartoft with Iver in tow, but while I was given an event saying that about half of the last Varl stronghold was to join him, I only have the 50 or so Varl that Rook had with him when he first arrived. Then, I had another event where Ubin, his bodyguard and more "warriors" join me, but yet again, I have no extra Varl in my caravan. Is this intentional that I don't receive extra units after leaving Einartoft, or is this the game-breaking bug I'm afraid it is?

seems like a bug, happens to me to!

Rensei
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
If I recall correctly at this point it doesn't really matter. After the mining village battle, where the hero BowMaster activates there are no more battles (I think?), so as far as the game goes You can wipe out Your entire caravan or starve them to death. The number of fighters/varls determines how hard will the battles (charge/formations etc.) be, clansmen doesn't appear to affect anything at all (apart from the supplies). Might be wrong of course.

Grunkaz
01-16-2014, 04:19 PM
I did not always get the bug (Seems like it event chain linked) i did have a (slight spoiler) event with mutiny. But i got it with Onef (Eskil is alive and in the company but that's not his main concern,) I have found no way to avoid it by making choices in the dialogue and i call bullshit for his reasons, (My morale have been normal to high all the way and no major spats in the company). Is it no way to avoid?! He guts me ! and then kills of three companions (including Egil)

Yellow
01-16-2014, 05:18 PM
If I recall correctly at this point it doesn't really matter. After the mining village battle, where the hero BowMaster activates there are no more battles (I think?), so as far as the game goes You can wipe out Your entire caravan or starve them to death. The number of fighters/varls determines how hard will the battles (charge/formations etc.) be, clansmen doesn't appear to affect anything at all (apart from the supplies). Might be wrong of course.

Even if it does not matters from the "War" point of view, i do not think it was intended, the game makes you believe that every decision you make has a outcome that might affect the gameplay/story, why would it simply ignore the outcome of your actions in this particular issue?
Later down the road you can still recruit/let them join, more people, and the decisions you make can still save lives/save supplies etc etc, so there is nothing that would point out to the issue being intentional and not a bug!

Rensei
01-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Well I am by no means saying it's a good thing, especially since the whole story makes You really care for Your flock. I'm just saying that it looks like (due to an oversight?) it doesn't affect the game in any way at that point.

Rensei
01-16-2014, 08:15 PM
OK... I have Varl blood on my hands. Lots of it. Just starved over 400 to death. The rest of the group (heroes) seems to be fine with it, as their morale at max level (it seems to be slowly going down as I walk with no supplies now).

Took the battle, expected insane challenge, "You take a quick head count. There must be at least 1 of them. You have 0 fighters and 0 varls at your side"...
Wow, not many dredge, such disappointment, so do... hell who came up with this meme?

Anyway, apparently the AI army count is hard-coded as a slightly modified army value of he player. I guess I will push on with this playthrough. I might get the "always happy army" achievement. Will keep You posted.

Aleonymous
01-17-2014, 07:19 AM
OK... I have Varl blood on my hands. Lots of it. Just starved over 400 to death. The rest of the group (heroes) seems to be fine with it, as their morale at max level (it seems to be slowly going down as I walk with no supplies now).

Took the battle, expected insane challenge, "You take a quick head count. There must be at least 1 of them. You have 0 fighters and 0 varls at your side"...
Wow, not many dredge, such disappointment, so do... hell who came up with this meme?

Anyway, apparently the AI army count is hard-coded as a slightly modified army value of he player. I guess I will push on with this playthrough. I might get the "always happy army" achievement. Will keep You posted.

lol, Rensei! Trying to break the game's spirit, eh? :D

Rensei
01-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Not really - I just enjoy learning the game's mechanics (how does renown transfer between both caravans, is it worth not advancing the team and save renown for better items, only levelling the team when it's in final shape, etc. etc.). Also I want to know where not to invest renown - after loosing both lvl3 backbiter and siege archer to scripts.

Aleonymous
01-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Not really - I just enjoy learning the game's mechanics

That's what we call a "intrusive/destructive" method to learn info about something. That's like breaking a box to see what's inside ;) I think Stoic attempted to make a game that would be played "as is" and that needn't be "bent into obedience" like that. Something like the Mac computers :p

Rensei
01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
That's exactly why I don't see myself owning anything made by Apple any time soon :)
And I'm not breaking the box, not really - I'm just giving it a stronger pat.

RoBear
01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Rensei how did you have strong moral with no supplies and a starving caravan? Whenever my caravan starves it forces moral down. Resting only makes it worse as it decreases each day there is no supply for me.

It doesn't seem that moral is very important if you have a strong tactical team though since the minor hit to willpower won't stop a party of lv4+ from wrecking house. During your war scenario with 0 caravan size how many dredge did you face? Did you still get plenty of renown from the tactical fight?

Rensei
01-17-2014, 04:55 PM
If You starve on the road the morale goes down, if You keep resting in the camp You initially burn through Your food, effectively maxing morale, which doesn't go down when the food runs out and they start starving. If You do that in a town, You can resupply right away and have more than enough to keep the remaining 0 followers at max/good morale.

Tychoxi
01-17-2014, 09:20 PM

Wow, that actually sucks. I did notice that the dredge headcounts were usually suspiciously similar to my own... but this really destroys the sense of choices mattering and betrays a rigged system. They better address this issue.

Aleonymous
01-18-2014, 05:07 AM
I did notice that the dredge headcounts were usually suspiciously similar to my own... but this really destroys the sense of choices mattering and betrays a rigged system. They better address this issue.

Yeah. I'd appreciate more "soft" game-overs like that one. Really, the game is supposed to be "harsh", right? So, why not make it "hard" too? This "you can lose a fight but the game goes on" thing shouldn't be applied to all fights... It kinda reminds me of the "leveled worlds", like Skyrim :(