PDA

View Full Version : Unique character who don't have unique design. Why ?

Meuhoua
01-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Helle there.

Yesterday, i was lurking on the game files and i found this file named as "Vognir" :
http://tof.canardpc.com/preview/da8420ff-fc15-4aa3-b7ac-b5cbefd3620e.jpg

So, my question is, why do not use this design for Vognir, and, by extension, why most of the unique character do not have a unique design or at least a very unique color map (as Mogr with his grey hair) ?

netnazgul
01-19-2014, 08:04 AM
I'd bet it's cause it's hard to draw so much unique pictures. Just count how much of them are needed for a single character (portrait, full-scale portrait, battle representation, all animations), you'd be surprised. And still in scope of the game (if not referring to Factions) every character has a unique design.

Meuhoua
01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Why not if the game was more animated, but in fact, it's just portrait and the full portrait to create, not so "hard", some several hours of work but they are not so much animated (just couple of frames for located little animation) ; battle representation are just color scheme respecting portrait's colors (as Rook or Ludin, who don't have long hair on battlefield, they're just basic units with the right color scheme), the only one very unique battle representation is armless Iver (expect menders who are really unique).

Aleonymous
01-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I came across that too. As Vognir doesn't participate in a fight (we just see his corpse), no dedicated isometric unit (sprite) is needed. The portrait is much easier to create/animate, e.g. eyes blinking and hair waving. In any case, I don't mind Vognir being represented by the "generic" Factions' Warmaster though; he just looks a bit younger that he sounds, is all.

netnazgul
01-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I came across that too. As Vognir doesn't participate in a fight (we just see his corpse), no dedicated isometric unit (sprite) is needed. .
Is it just me or in my fight he did participate - when Ludin attacks Dredge and falls, then Varls appear. Could be wrong though

gunnyfreak
01-20-2014, 02:30 AM
pretty sure the varls are Hakon, Mogr, and the frog guy from Ubin's entourage

Aleonymous
01-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Is it just me or in my fight he did participate - when Ludin attacks Dredge and falls, then Varls appear. Could be wrong though

The way I saw it: When you enter that battle, Vognir is already downed (face down in the mud) and Ludin gets a scripted one-shot by a Dredge tank. Then, your three Varl (Mogr, Hakon & Gunnulf) pop in. So, Vognir does participate in a battle, but as a dead body! :)