PDA

View Full Version : Dredging Up The Secrets Of Banner Saga’s Story [Rock, Paper, Shotgun]

Sean
10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Rock, Paper, Shotgun is on a roll with information about The Banner Saga. Check out their latest article!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/12/sep/bannersaga14.jpg

The Banner Saga saga’s not over yet. Not by a long shot. First, we brought you multiplayer impressions straight from the front grid lines, and then you learned everything there is to know about balance, microtransactions, and – in the process – yourself. So then, what could possibly be left? What frigid depths of Stoic’s mighty ice fortress have we yet to plumb? Well, mainly the actual Saga – the sprawling, multi-chapter single-player behemoth born of Kickstarter’s unholy flames earlier this year. So I asked Stoic about every last bit of it: how it’ll progress, what sort of Big Evil Force we’re dealing with, where choices will come up and how much they’ll affect the storyline, why all the voice actors are from Iceland, how they mo-capped those gorgeous animations (hint: lots of falling on their faces), and tons more. Dig in after the break.
Want to know more? Then get to reading: Dredging Up The Secrets Of Banner Saga’s Story (http://bit.ly/Syvg67).

LoliSauce
10-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Loving all the RPS writups. So much information, it's wonderful. It's got me hungrier than ever for beta.

Aduro Visare
10-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Great article, good to see you guys getting so much press. Love how the direction the story is heading in, I wonder though how will the second and third part connect with the first? I'm assuming you will be able to load up the previous save file but will the player be making decisions that haunt the player in unexpected ways in later parts or are most of the consequences more immediate?

I say this because I hope its the case. I always felt that it would add depth to a game if you make a decision 2 hrs into part 1 and everything goes nice and peachy, but then half way through part 2 its like damn I shouldn't have done that. Personally I feel most developers only do this in way where you can see the consequences a mile away, the consequences don't affect the player directly, or the effects are minimal to the point of being inconsequential.

bmacklin
10-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Very nice. You guys are getting some good exposure out there!

Alex
10-04-2012, 10:01 AM
@Aduro:

This is definitely what we're going for here. We set out trying to make decisions matter more than your average RPG and that was one way we want to do it. You might make a decision in Chapter 1 that locks in the fact that you're going to lose that character in Chapter 2 and not know it. By the time it happens you can't change things.

We'll be trying to find a balance here of what feels fair. We don't want things to just happen out of nowhere, making the whole game feel like random events, but we don't want to explicitly tell you "this decision will have that result" either. It's a tricky balance to find and it might piss off a few players, but we think it'd feel new and refreshingly even if it stings a little bit.

Hopefully we pull it off!

Frusciante
10-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice interview again. The part about V/O is really confusing and vague though. Can't you just clearly say what is voiced and what isnt? Are only cutscenes voiced? Are regular dialogues voiced?

Also, will people who pledged lets say 100+ dollars get the entire trilogy or only chapter one?

Ratatoskr
10-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Nice interview again. The part about V/O is really confusing and vague though. Can't you just clearly say what is voiced and what isnt? Are only cutscenes voiced? Are regular dialogues voiced?

Also, will people who pledged lets say 100+ dollars get the entire trilogy or only chapter one?

Pretty sure the kickstarter said everybody $50 and up will get all 3.

lamaz
10-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Pretty sure the kickstarter said everybody $50 and up will get all 3. It did.

And most likely only the cutscenes or other really important conversations are voiced. Which is fine, because you can explore the character backgrounds and the story in general a lot more when you only need the written dialogue. Now that I think of it, I bet it's like in Baldur's Gate where you have a decent amount of voiced dialogue without sacrificing the many dialogue options and extensive storytelling.

Troll
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
There was not a single voiced dialogue in FFT (apart from the short high pitch scream from time to time) and nothing was lost to enjoy the deep story.

Edit : in fact, all SNES / PS era games were unvoiced and so many were great with very deep stories and interesting characters.

Better have a few well constructed voiced dialogues and many options than a large number of quicly worked voiced dialogue and too few options. I costs money to voice a dialogue, and time.

Floyd Ryan
11-01-2012, 05:43 AM
As i understood the interview only the narrator will be voiced, or at least he will be voiced.

Btw, love the idea about a narrator who starts in icelandic then fades to english with very characteristic icelandic accent. Sounds like the atmosphere and immersion will be awesome - can't wait to play the game!