PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback

Dark Jedi Dave
05-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Since the forum is in its infancy, I think a thread giving suggestions and comments to the Mod team would be useful.

One suggestion is expanding the timeout period with users. Its seems to log me out in about 15 minutes of inactivity. Thanks!

Sean
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I went ahead and doubled it so it is now 30m.

Suzie Q Sailaway
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I went ahead and doubled it so it is now 30m.

Awesome! I got logged out a few times while typing responses (largely my fault though because I kept getting distracted by shiny things).

I really dig the way the forum is set up!

I wonder though- is there any way to permanently disable smilies or does it need to be done each time one posts? :d

/asking hugely important questions

stelly
05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Awesome! I got logged out a few times while typing responses (largely my fault though because I kept getting distracted by shiny things).

I really dig the way the forum is set up!

I wonder though- is there any way to permanently disable smilies or does it need to be done each time yone posts? :d

/asking hugely important questions

If I remember correctly I think you can limit the number of smilies in the admin section... still a little rusty...

and I thought that I was the only one distracted by shi......

Suzie Q Sailaway
05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
If I remember correctly I think you can limit the number of smilies in the admin section... still a little rusty...

and I thought that I was the only one distracted by shi......

Haha, nice! and thanks so much for the info. :3

Ratatoskr
05-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Just a question, is there a way to make the forum remember me so that I don't have to log in every time since I'm checking this way too often? I feel like I saw a button once but then things crashed and I haven't found one since.

Aaron
05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I've been trying out the tree view for threads. Since it's not strictly linear, it's hard to tell which posts are new when I revisit a thread. I think the new posts get a blue-tinted icon beside them instead of the default white icon, but the difference is subtle and the icon doesn't change when I read the post to mark it read.

ScottMBruner
05-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Just a question, is there a way to make the forum remember me so that I don't have to log in every time since I'm checking this way too often? I feel like I saw a button once but then things crashed and I haven't found one since.

Hi Ratatoskr,

When you hit the login page, there's a grey box to the lower left which allows you to click "Remember Me." That should do the trick.

Kaffis
05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Ratatoskr,

When you hit the login page, there's a grey box to the lower left which allows you to click "Remember Me." That should do the trick.
The Remember Me button isn't part of the quick login at the top of general forum pages, though. That's probably why you're not seeing it, Ratatoskr.

Sean
05-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Hi Ratatoskr,

The Remember Me button isn't part of the quick login at the top of general forum pages, though. That's probably why you're not seeing it, Ratatoskr.

Okay, should be working now. I fear I mod'd the top too much so it was hiding. I now but it beside the login panel for the quick login and have it auto-checkmarked. Should work better now ;)

Sean
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I've been trying out the threaded view for threads. Since it's not strictly linear, it's hard to tell which posts are new when I revisit a thread. I think the new posts get a blue-tinted icon beside them instead of the default white icon, but the difference is subtle and the icon doesn't change when I read the post to mark it read.

Something I definitely will be working on this weekend (it annoys me, too).

Ratatoskr
05-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Too many people to quote directly, but thanks, I haven't actually been logged out since I posted my question oddly enough so whatever it is it works. And now I know how to make it remember me should I get logged out again.

Dark Jedi Dave
05-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks, Sean, looks like I'm auto logged in.

Gyro
05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Just wanted to say how nice everybody has been so far.

Kimberly
05-04-2012, 11:32 AM

You know, I agree. We've got a pretty nice community going here. Uncharacteristically un-Vikinglike, really.

Morte
05-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Perhaps the trolls are just on the road, heading fast towards their destination...:eek:

lamaz
05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Whoever came up with that Notice thing on the top of the page thank you so much! I was also wondering could we get a thread or something, which could automatically show just the responses from the devs with links to the original posting?

Sean
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Whoever came up with that Notice thing on the top of the page thank you so much! I was also wondering could we get a thread or something, which could automatically show just the responses from the devs with links to the original posting?

Well, we have the Staff Posts enabled now - You'll see a STOIC button but I'll probably change it to Stroic Post! to make it a little more friendly. I also have the Dev Posts automatically "golden" so they are easy to see when looking at a full thread. I am also working on a Dev Tracker like the one I had for SB, SBG, and TOR that I will hopefully have by this weekend.

End of the day, I know getting the Dev Posts to be easily accessible is a must for everyone.

lamaz
05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, we have the Staff Posts enabled now - You'll see a STOIC button but I'll probably change it to Stroic Post! to make it a little more friendly. I also have the Dev Posts automatically "golden" so they are easy to see when looking at a full thread. I am also working on a Dev Tracker like the one I had for SB, SBG, and TOR that I will hopefully have by this weekend.

End of the day, I know getting the Dev Posts to be easily accessible is a must for everyone.

http://www.kryptonitekollectibles.com/images/prod/BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

A picture is worth more than a thousand words! :)

Flickerdart
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
The close button on the crimson alerts is far too dark, to the point that I didn't notice it until one of the alerts told me that it existed. Make the buttons white instead of black?

Sean
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
The close button on the crimson alerts is far too dark, to the point that I didn't notice it until one of the alerts told me that it existed. Make the buttons white instead of black?

Is it better now?

Flickerdart
05-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Dunno, I closed them. If new ones come up I'll chime in again.

LoliSauce
05-08-2012, 12:24 AM
What is the significance of the five starred threads?

Sean
05-08-2012, 08:18 AM
What is the significance of the five starred threads?

Community members can "rate" a discussion (or thread) using the "Rate This Thread" option at the top. Casting a vote for threads you view is entirely optional, but if you think that the thread is superb, you might rate it as a 5-star thread, or if you think that it's unspeakably dismal, you might choose to rate the thread with a single star.

Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you will see a set of stars appear with the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and can allow you to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy forum with a lot of threads.

I've also been looking at an option of rating individual posts (although probably an up/down instead of 5 stars).

LoliSauce
05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh word. That's kind of obvious, now that I think about it. I guess rating things just isn't something I normally think of.

Thanks.

lamaz
05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Uhm these new thread icons are a bit.. hmm.. lets say chaotic. I personally prefer something a bit more simplistic, just my two cents :)

Sean
05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Uhm these new thread icons are a bit.. hmm.. lets say chaotic. I personally prefer something a bit more simplistic, just my two cents :)

Thanks for the feedback; they are definitely a work in progress. And seeing them in action, I can already think of some tweaks to make to, well, make them less chaotic, so to speak ;)

My original thought was to use an axe (to make it viking-themed), a firey axe for hot topics, an axe with a silver blade for "new" posts, an axe with a black blade for old posts... and then the other icons as needed (locked, moved, deleted, etc).

LoliSauce
05-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Screenshot (http://sadpanda.us/images/956363-X6MOES6.png)

^ The "New" icon seems to be causing the thread titles to get obscured in the "What's New" page.

And honestly, I prefer things minimalistic. Small, unobtrusive icons and whatnot.

Sean
05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
You're right. I'll fix this as soon as I get home tonight.

Flickerdart
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
IMO the "popular thread" icon doesn't need to be so blatant (since you can see, by the page count, how popular a thread is anyway) while the "I have posted in this thread" icon could stand to be a lot more prominent, since it's really helpful in keeping track of threads.

Sean
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I did update the "new" icon to make it less of an eye sore and I was in the midst of getting this all done last night but we had a rain storm move in caused a lot of short power-outages. Since I would get bored quickly if my computer went b00m due to that, I just left the system unplugged last night. I should get a good update tonight or tomorrow, though.

LoliSauce
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Cool. The new alert close buttons stand out very well, by the way.

Sean
05-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Okay, made some edits and ready for the feedback. I'm working on a totally different set (more because I am wondering if it'll look cooler or not) but let me know what you think of the latest changes... are they less chaotic?

LoliSauce
05-12-2012, 12:42 AM
It looks good. I like the more subdued look from this iteration of changes.

Is the other set going to be the more viking themed one you were talking about wanting to do previously?

lamaz
05-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Yeah looks better now, easier on the eyes :)

belamoor
05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I guess it's just me, but i kind of liked old stoic post icon more, new one doesn't mix with the color pattern that well.
I like when stuff looks like forum branch icon, nice, fits the overall looks, different states are easily distinguishable, but still as similar as possible. Makes it not that distractive in an already information-dense environment. I cheered a little when i first saw this change. :)
Not that it's so much of a problem as new stoic post icon fits better thematically and are good by itself.

Sean
05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Hmmm, do you think it'd look better if I used the Stoic icon with a black or dark background vs the white one now? I can see how the white one might stand out a little too much...

lamaz
06-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Just noticed that the facebook 'like' text is too dark so it doesn't stand out very well. Also the new font used on the navigation links seems to get a bit smudged on the edges, maybe a bigger font size would help?

And one other thing, I suspect that you can't do much about this, but when using IE 8 the forums break in various places :D For example this quick reply box is all over the place and the font, smiley etc. options don't show properly. There are a lot of small things like that which don't work properly. Before someone asks, I use IE8 at work and unfortunately am stuck with this for unforeseeable future.

To not make this post about bad stuff only here's a squirrel playing a banjo(or something)!
http://www.maniacworld.com/squirrel-vs-penguin.jpg

You are doing great job with the forums! :)

Sean
06-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback and I'll definitely look into what's going on with IE8. IE appears to be the 4th popular browser for viewing this site and about 25% of the IE users are using IE8 (there are even a few IE7 and IE6... O.o!!!). I'll install it on one of my older sys at home and see what's going on. It might be a CSS issue because I've been trying to use more CSS3 and HTML5 methods but doubting the older browsers really support that much.