PDA

View Full Version : How to Fix The Banner Saga Crashes, Stuttering Cutscenes, and Black Screen Issues

seafoodspecial
01-22-2014, 05:01 AM
Just got The Banner Saga off steam and deeply enjoying it! I ran into a few hitches though, but was able to fix them. Thought I'd share this guide to help others out there:

How to Fix The Banner Saga Crashes, Stuttering Cutscenes, and Black Screen Issues (http://www.crashwiki.com/how-to-fix-the-banner-saga-crashes-stuttering-cutscenes-and-black-screen-issues/)

Aleonymous
01-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks! Really useful, for eliminating small problems & helping out with troubleshooting. ;)

Argail
02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Hello everyone!

It's been a while. Glad to be back. :)

I have just downloaded the game a couple of days ago and am immensly excited to experience its emersive and incredibly epic storyline. However, I am having some technical issues performance-wise which certainly have an impact on the overall gaming experience. Generally speaking, I have a very low frame rate in the singleplayer which I never (or rarely) experienced in the Factions multiplayer. I hope that some of you might be able to provide me with some additional hints, since I tried already a few things. Please also note that I just finished the third chapter, so no spoilers please. ;)

General observations:

- game slows down with time
- game is generally slower in large battles

I already tried:

- disabling vsync in my graphic's card option menu
- disabling my virus scanner (MS Essentials)
- playing in windowed mode (first seemed to work but then turned out to simply delay the problem)
- disabling desktop composition (resulted in some minor but odd graphical issues)

-> all of the above didn't really work; as far as I can tell the best results still come with windowed mode, however, with increased time the performance still becomes worse and the frames drop. This sometimes even influences battles since hitting the right buttons in combat is tough when the game is stuttering.

Does anyone of you know anything else I should try?

The game is definitely playable and I am absolutely blown away by its opening hours, but I am sure it would be even better if I could enjoy it without lags. ;)

- Argail

Aleonymous
02-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Hello Argail. This sounds bad :(

My game did not slow-down/stutter after long-play. What did happen is that it might crash-to-desktop. That happened after 4-5 hours non-stop play in my case, so, I kept in mind to close down and restart the client every 2-3hrs. I think it's the same "memory leak" issue as with Factions. Don't know what causes it, but it surely deteriorates the game's performance over time. I believe its mostly related to how sound is implemented. This means that if you disable sound you might not feel this problem. I know it ruins like 50% of the game, but an experiment will just help you narrow-down & encircle the problem.

Have you checked this tip -- http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1790-Build-1-10-51, in then "KNOWN ISSUES" section? (right-mouse-click on the red text) It's supposed to help out tons.

What's your system specs? Are they well above the minimum requirements? I believe they are quite similar to Factions, which makes it a little weird to have problems only there...

--Aleo

Argail
02-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Hey Aleonymous

First of all, thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate it. :)

My game did never crashed, even after hours of play. I might also add that I am not playing the steam version but the DLC free one, so we can rule any steam-related causes out.

I am using a Lenovo T510 with an i5 CPU, 6 GB of RAM and an nVidia NVS 3100M. For all I know, that's a similar computer John himself is using. So according to Stoic, it should be enough to play the game properly. ;)

I checked your link and "Enable hardware acceleration" is already enabled...I also updated flash, just in case. Hm! I will try again another session today.

- Argail

Aleonymous
02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
My game did never crashed, even after hours of play. I might also add that I am not playing the steam version but the DLC free one, so we can rule any steam-related causes out.

I am using a Lenovo T510 with an i5 CPU, 6 GB of RAM and an nVidia NVS 3100M. For all I know, that's a similar computer John himself is using. So according to Stoic, it should be enough to play the game properly. ;)

I checked your link and "Enable hardware acceleration" is already enabled...I also updated flash, just in case. Hm! I will try again another session today.

Hmmm, I'm out of ideas :( Your PC is much stronger than mine and it seems you've gone through most of the typical troubleshooting steps... You *could* try de-activating the sound (not sure how, in this DRM-free/GoG version) and see if this helps any. Otherwise, wait until John shows up and reads these threads, or email support/help/John...

netnazgul
02-21-2014, 09:15 AM
I'd bet it's due to all textures and graphics being loaded into RAM and not unloaded when not needed. Thus if you check Saga process after several hours of play you'll notice its significant size increase.

The only current solution is to save, exit and restart Saga.

Argail
02-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Hello guys

So I put another few hours into the game and my first impressions remain: the longer I play the worse the performance gets. Also, I tried turning audio off (hesitatingly though ;)) and it didn't do much to the performance. I think what netznatzgul said sounds about right since the game runs more smoothly after a new start.

Also, I noticed two different kinds of stuttering: sometimes the framerate simply lowers a bit so that the game is a bit slower but not by much. Then, however, there are sometimes also brutal framerate drops from one second to the other where it really takes incredibly long to finish a conversation or to fight a battle. This also applies to the sounds which begins stuttering as well.

Nonetheless I made it to the last boss fight and am currently trying to beat him (quite though that guy). I will absolutely do another playthrough another time and hope that future patches will focus on the performance so that I can enjoy the Banner Saga even more.

- Argail

Argail
02-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone

I now also playtested TBS Factions after having not played it for quite some time. It has the same issues and is in fact almost unplayable due to severe lags and stuttering in almost every battle (i.e. loosing between one or two moves per initiative round). I really like Factions and would like to play it some more, but with the issues described it is almost impossible.

Does anyone have any further ideas? :)

- Argail

Aleonymous
02-27-2014, 02:40 AM
If this is the only (Steam) game suffering from such problems, then, I think you should directly contact Stoic (e.g. john@stoicstudio.com) for support. They should probably be back-in-action in about a week or so.

Argail
02-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Hi Aleo

I sent an email to John, let's see what he says. However, I think he is out of office until March 6th. Hopefully he can find a fix when he is back. :)

- Argail

netnazgul
02-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Argail, do you have your ingame Steam Overlay disabled? It can provide unplayable experience on certain setups

Argail
02-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Hey netnazgul

What do you actually mean by steam overlay?

I play the DRM free version for the singleplayer and still have the same issues (they are very much alike in the sp and mp), so I don't believe it has anything to do with Steam.

Cheers

- Argail

netnazgul
03-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Well, it means that Steam Overlay is not the issue here :p

JiiSivula
03-14-2014, 04:26 AM
The site behind this link "How to Fix The Banner Saga Crashes, Stuttering Cutscenes, and Black Screen Issues" from the first post seems to bee down. Does anyone have the text copied or something?

I have issue with the cutscenes. They are stuttering, pixelated and green mess. Haven't found solution anywhere.

Argail
03-26-2014, 04:46 AM
Hello folks

It seems that the most recent Adobe Flash update helped a bit with the problems described above. It now takes a bit longer till the game starts stuttering, however, the core issue remains. I hope we will get a solution to this soonish. :)

Cheers!

- Argail

Barleyman
06-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Downgrade. I had nothing but grief with adobe player 12 and 13. Going back to 11 solved MY problems.

Fazolt
06-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Odd, I wasn't aware people had these issues.