PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty settings.

pix
01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
So does anyone know yet the specifics of difficulty in SP? As in what exactly changes between the different settings? For example, I had someone tell me they pursued the dredge in war almost every time on Normal difficulty, but I played my run-through on Hard and charged in every war and I rarely did well enough to fight a whole new battle with my wounded units. I assume it also affects things like caravan supply consumption, but I'm mainly interested in battles.

Aleonymous
01-22-2014, 04:37 PM
I think difficulty affects three things:
(1) The number of foes, e.g. 3-4-5 enemies for easy-normal-hard, respectively.
(2) The tier of enemies, e.g. Scourge-Warrior-Destrorer (the three tiers of that high-STR 2x2 Dredge type) for easy-normal-hard, respectively.
(3) All Dredge take a -1/+1 (penalty/bonus) to their starting STR & ARM, w.r.t. their normal stats.

So, yeah. Taking 2nd waves in War is perfectly viable in Normal, while rarely "smart" in Hard...

pix
01-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks. Kinda makes me feel like I'm missing out a little!

Aleonymous
01-23-2014, 05:52 PM
New info -- I was playing again today, on Hard, fighting a Ridgehorn battle that I previously played on Normal. Weird thing is that now (on Hard) the enemies were less, but had more stats. Actually, it was just four tanks, 2 Scourge & 2 Stoneguard. However, on my previous Normal-difficulty run, I remember at least 6-7 units, but only ~3 of them were tanks. So, perhaps the difficulty setting is also accounting for Turn-Advantage? This would mean that point #1 of my first post may not be generally true after all...

Rensei
01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Like I said already: stats - difficulty, numbers - random.

Aleonymous
01-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Like I said already: stats - difficulty, numbers - random.

Indeed, but...
What's the underlying pattern?
How is the "power" of the enemy-team calculated?
How does that relate with your team-power?
Is is just numbers & ranks or numbers & stats? (or all)

balnoisi
01-24-2014, 08:46 AM
i'm not that good a player, still i finished the game in hard mode winning all battles ( didn't get the achievement don't know why, maybe lost a training game ? ) played most of the 2nd chance war battles where you can choose to keep attacking ( except a couple of the very last ones ) and beat the final boss in the first attempt.

to be honest i don't think Stoic succeded in providing a hard mode. with the extra renown you get from fighting more battles and more enemies you rank up on par and the challenge vanishes. it will only be difficult if you conciously avoid combat when possible and are therefore forced to battle using low level units.

Aleonymous
01-24-2014, 09:05 AM
That's true, bal. I finished the game on normal easily, and re-fought many parts of the story (including Bello) in Hard, with no particular difficulty.

I would suggest a "difficulty slider", with 0-10 settings, where the current easy/normal/hard correspond to 2/4/6, or something. Or, at least, a "nightmare" (or "Ragnarok") difficulty setting that will be practically unbeatable. That would be a challenge, no? :D

Rensei
01-24-2014, 09:45 AM
The can add nightmare mode pretty easily - toss in 3 big angry dredge mofos (4 tiles speed, 3 exertion, lots of willpower, enough armor to require at least 2-3 breaks and enough strength for oneshot capabilities) with no weaklings running around and slowing their advance on every damn fight. That and permadeath.

Colleteral_Skystrike
01-24-2014, 10:11 AM
The can add nightmare mode pretty easily - toss in 3 big angry dredge mofos (4 tiles speed, 3 exertion, lots of willpower, enough armor to require at least 2-3 breaks and enough strength for oneshot capabilities) with no weaklings running around and slowing their advance on every damn fight. That and permadeath.

Yep, that would be one way. But the particular turn system in TBS always allows you to maim the enemies closest to you and then deal with the rest in relative peace.

The one battle that had me say "oh ****" went a bit different. It was a war and as usually I charged. I defeated the first wave easily enough. My units had a few scratches but they were still in decent enough shape to make me confident I could beat a second wave with ease. Moreover, my experience to that point had been that the second wave was usually weaker than the first. Not in that case: 4 of the big mean dredges spawned with very high stats + 2 of the red slingers. The nastiest 2 had so much strength that they simply onehit each of my unit they attacked. I lost that fight. Even turn advantage wasn't enough to turn the tide. There was just too much armor to break and too much strength to deplete. And I lost one of my units with every other hit the enemy made.

My point: If Stoic worked with second waves more often (not just in wars and not just as something optional to minimize losses/get items) they could easily add a whole new level of difficulty. Moreover, second waves hit you with your units in disorder. They have moved out of formations and your enemy spawns around you. Of course, if Stoic were to add more enemies, reknown earnings would have to be reduced.
The combination of brutal second waves + less reknown per kill would create one truely nasty hardcore mode.

Rensei
01-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Yeah - that too, sometimes the bastards spawn super close AND get the first move (bug?) on my slightly armor stripped units for a terrible start.

Aleonymous
01-24-2014, 11:04 AM
... and permadeath.

Indeed :)

Another thing that can be addressed is the deployment zones & enemy spawn locations. For example, I would lilke "Charge!" War-option to lead more often to (1) that "checkers" deployment that seems like a melee has already broken out or to (2) that "surrounded" deployment, where you cannot turtle in a corner. "Formations" could lead to the classic Factions deployments and so on.

Surtr
01-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Wow, you guys must real pros! I struggled on normal and had to play the final battles on easy because the whole thing just became an exercise in frustration.

Rensei
01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Play a few Factions battles daily for a week or two and You'll be destroying the AI like it was nothing :)
Seriously - we need fresh meat there.

Surtr
01-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Seriously - we need fresh meat there.

I'm sure you do. I think I'd make a tasty breakfast for you guys. :)