PDA

View Full Version : Camp Suggestion

gaelvin
01-25-2014, 03:02 PM
First, let me say, I love this game. I powered through on Easy difficulty just to experience the story. Now I intend to go through again on Normal and see how I can manage.

I have been skimming through the forum threads since the Launch (there are just too many to keep current with them all), and one issue that has been mentioned which I encountered was a difficulty in acquiring Supplies, how much are used to Rest in Camp, and how this effects Morale.

A possible solution (and another layer to the decision-making aspect of the game) occurred to me when I thought about Rook. Rook's Class is Hunter, so... what if there was an option added to the Camp screen, maybe call it Forage, where your Caravan spends time hunting and gathering Supplies (there are already some Travel Encounters where something like this happens). When you Forage, a Day passes and you gain the benefits of Rest, but you lose no Supplies; you have the chance to gain additional Supplies, but also run the risk of having an Encounter (where heroes could be wounded again, forcing you to consider Resting again).

I have no idea if such a mechanic could be added to this Chapter, but perhaps the Sequel(s).

Aleonymous
01-25-2014, 05:05 PM
+1 to forage. What good is hunter than can't hunt! :P

LoliSauce
01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
This is an amazing idea, but it could lead to the possibility of people spamming it to build up renoun from battles and supplies, which would become rather exploitable.

angelcatano
01-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Well, there should be an event if you camp for too long, maybe dredge catch up (which should happen specially after Einartoft), Brigands could ambush and kill people/steal supplies

gaelvin
01-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Good idea... plus, it makes sense that you couldn't keep hunting and foraging in one place for too long without depleting the area. Maybe each day spent foraging brings in fewer supplies while the chance of an encounter increases. And the encounters could be more like those in Travel; some might lead to a combat (and the chance to gain some Renown), but others would just give you the consequences (i.e. wolves chase off a yox and you lose X number of supplies).

Basically, forage could provide a short-term benefit to supplies and morale at the cost of lost time, but would soon reach a point of diminishing returns if you tried to game it to farm renown. Plus, it would still count as resting in camp for purposes of travel, and any encounters which are triggered by how long it takes to get from point A to point B (assuming I understand how that mechanic works in he game :)).

Blarg_the_Viking
01-26-2014, 04:25 PM
I support this. It would definitely help to resolve the problem of never having enough renown to split between Promotions and buying food, while also making the game more complex in an interesting way.

EmblaWinterblade
01-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Not bad, not bad at all! :) It is important i think that it should only lower the costs of camping but not earning anything new,at least not as long as we are in a frozen wasteland, it is a good thing that the game is hard and sad. And also maybe make the camp more interactive?!

Sloul
01-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Thought the same while playing, actually I also thought a lot about the rpg game Expeditions: Conquistador.
I think it could be a good source of inspiration for Banner Saga.
Not saying the one is better than the latter, NO. The two of them are absolutely awesome, but they are based somewhat on the same ''archetype'' gameplay wise.

In Expeditions:Conquistador you're the leader of an expedition, you've to make tough choices and such. Every class of your team will give you an advantage during your travels (outside combat):
- with doctors (they also fight) you can heal faster your troops
- hunters can hunt during travels (when making camp actually)
- fighters can act as guards to make sure that they would be no supply stealing
- scout can scout the area to discover treasures

I think that something like that could fit perfectly in The Banner Saga.
If a dev is reading me and did not play the game I mentioned, I would gladly gift it (through steam or gog). It's about 30 hours gameplay. And, again, on many aspects it reminds TBS.

CSRosewood
01-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Well, I'll support the idea of foraging if there was a set time line to which the dredge will overrun you. Like the day dial that counts time passing as you travel. Have a creeping black shadow slowly engulf the dial, in which your caravan is at the coast of the sea of dredge pouring into the land. Of course, it could result in confrontation of war and since your caravan hardly ever has more fighters than clansmen, surely, it'll be impossible to assure none of them get hurt during such encounters. But at some point, there's little to nothing a small group of warriors could do to thousands of dredge attackers. Game Over.

Secondly, by negating the usefulness rest by granting the same benefits to forage makes rest obsolete. Foraging can still be hard labor. Hunting, chopping down firewood, etc. If anything, sure it can obtain rest for the caravan but the rest option should always provide the fastest and safest moral boosts compared to Foraging.

gaelvin
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM
I was thinking of Forage as; Rest-Augmented (adding a supply gain; or at least no supply loss), balanced by Encounters (forcing more tough choices, hunting accidents, possible battle losses, etc.). It seems like that could balance the equation, especially if the results of a "bad" decision during a Forage Encounter could lead to Morale loss; I don't think this loss, or zero-sum should be guaranteed by Forage, rather it should come as a result of your choices. Simply Camping should always be the safe way to boost Morale at the cost of Supplies. Foraging should carry some risk.

CSRosewood
01-31-2014, 02:45 PM
The text encounters are fine as they don't have to yield renown, but battles... naah. Unless there's a specific schedule, it's too gamey to milk renown from it, seeing as renown = supplies, it's a win-win in many cases.

If "staying too long is bad" option is implemented, hopefully it's not in a way that "lets move a few inches and start foraging all over again" mentality but a hard-deadline where the caravan mush be at certain points by certain times of the game. Sometimes the dredge moves closer faster, some times slower. It would have been a nice touch to feel pressured about resting while traveling. And again, I still think foraging should yield less moral boost. Because, while resting spends supplies, safety-net from events, heal characters and moral boost. Foraging would reduced supply cost (in some cases as you stated, negate it entirely), isn't as safe from events, heal characters, and moral boost.

The trade off is, you won't spend as much supplies for a less moral and a chance at a minor event. Some of which might not be bad.

On another note, I like to add that certain areas should yield less results... like the wasteland between Frostvllr and Wyrmtoe. Success should be very seldom... well because it's a wasteland for a reason.