PDA

View Full Version : Death not permanent? Confused new player here.

dmastri
01-26-2014, 10:58 PM
I started to poke around to see if others had anything to say about this, but I see spoiler warning on many posts and I'm only at the beginning, so forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. Does character death not automatically translate to character death in the story?

After Rook and Alette return to Skogr you fight that battle with Egil stepping in to protect Alette. When I fought the battle Egil was killed. However after the battle he got "killed" in a scripted sequence where a Dredge pops up behind Alette and you have to decide to either warn her or charge in.

Then in the next battle Rook got killed, but immediately afterward he's still alive in the cutscenes.

I guess I'm confused. Can characters die in combat permanently or only via story events? To be honest, this is a fairly big let down as it breaks immersion for me.

Blarg_the_Viking
01-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Here's how it works - unlike in, say, Fire Emblem, losing all STR in battle doesn't mean death in story - getting dropped in a fight results in an "injury" that reduces the characters STR and takes a few days to heal. In fact, if you win a battle, all of participating characters are treated as though they survived, even if only one of them is still standing at the end of it. It's only if you lose a battle that characters who fell in it might actually die.

If, however, a character is described as dead during a story event (like Egil - there's a reason why you get an achievement for getting him to the end of the game alive), then they're just dead, and nothing can bring them back.

So, make good decisions during cutscenes and don't lose any fights and you won't have to bury any party members. Otherwise... their names will be writ upon the banner. They will not be forgotten.

dmastri
01-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Ah okay. That explains it.

thanks!