PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Stupid Game-Ruining Annoying Thing During Endgame (Spoilers)

TheUbiquitous
01-28-2014, 03:42 AM
During my second playthrough, I spent all my time and renown leveling up my melee fighters, including Rook. Because of this, Allette, Annette, All-Ann-stupid-useless-archer-ette-whatever-her-name-is earned a grand total of two kills during the entire game. And now she's forced to be in the final battle? Even though Spoiler-character spoiler-mcSpoilerson spoiler?

Spend the entire game keeping her from killing anyone or anything, basically. And now I'm forced to use her for no darn good reason. It's enough to spoilermcspoilersonspoiler her for the second-to-last battle.

Words cannot contain how annoyed I am. Grr.

loveboof
01-28-2014, 05:16 AM
I can't work out if you're trolling or being sarcastic (or serious... I guess lol).

Your 'second playthrough'? Shouldn't that mean you know what is coming up?

Aleonymous
01-28-2014, 06:04 AM
I can't work out if you're trolling or being sarcastic (or serious... I guess lol).

Your 'second playthrough'? Shouldn't that mean you know what is coming up?

Same questions sprang to my mind too :)

Suggestion for making use of a worthless Alette -- Use her as instakill bait, for Bello to use-up all his WP and so engage him.

TheUbiquitous
01-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Same questions sprang to my mind too :)

Suggestion for making use of a worthless Alette -- Use her as instakill bait, for Bello to use-up all his WP and so engage him.

Nah, I really mean it. I didn't notice the first time through because last time I intended to use her as bait. This time, I'm kind of forced to, and to do it I have to backtrack to a previous save, and I have to switch out Hogun, &c., &c.

Aleonymous
01-29-2014, 05:09 AM
Please note that to get the "Innocent Alette" achievement you must not use her against Human/Varl enemies, i.e. it's perfectly fine slaughtering Dredge! :) I maxed her out, gave her a +3STR item I found, and now she's a lean mean killin' machine. Can't wait to use her against Bello...

If my calculations are right: With Alette at 13STR and landing a "simple" 5AB on Bello (with a Varl) while she is in-range of Puncture, results in a 100% shot right up (13+2STR -vs- 15ARM). So, its a two-hit combo to get you to phase two ;)

Rymdkejsaren
01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
If you played through already you should know that it happens, and as Aleonymous says, you must only avoid killing humans and varl with her to get the achievement. I feel the dialogue brings that across pretty clearly.

I do have to admit that it vexed me a bit that after I put my foot down as Rook and said Alette could not be the one to fire the arrow, I still had to bring her into the fight. I was playing the role of a protective father and it felt like I should have had the option to leave her out entirely after deciding to fire the arrow myself. She should only be necessary if she is the one with the silver arrow?

quartex
01-29-2014, 09:07 AM
I think the story explanation is that it's important for Alette to be in the battle to see her father die, and vice versa. I'm sure there will be repercussions for Alette in Chapter 2. If she wasn't there, it would be very different for her.

Mierko
01-30-2014, 03:35 AM
I think the story explanation is that it's important for Alette to be in the battle to see her father die, and vice versa. I'm sure there will be repercussions for Alette in Chapter 2. If she wasn't there, it would be very different for her.

I am hoping that since Iver tells her to put her hood up and be someone else.. (for now) that she becomes a bad ass in part two.

She has some massive shoes to fill. Rook was a god-damned super beast with his high armor break, awesome passive movement skill and great all around stats. Mark Prey is a great ability but not one that I really used too often. He was so good as a Swiss Army Knife and was at his best darting around and winging enemies armor or trucking it across the field to finish a Dredge casting a summon or buff. It made it a bit hard to choose 'Mark Prey' when you can spend zero Willpower and fire a ranged 6 Armor Break.

Alette on the other hand had a great, but short range penetrating shot. One which was a bit expensive to line up due to her minimal movement range. She required far too much exertion to move around which forced you to draw enemies towards her as opposed to being able to flank like every other archer apart from maybe Yrsa. Her stats were good, but nothing special and because of that most people ignored her once they started building a roster. She really needs a buff if she is going to be leading the human caravan.

I am praying that Rook 'finds his way back' to her because as is, she is probably the worst archer you can use.

Tychoxi
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
For what it's worth I too think that the only essential character in this fight should be the one carrying the silver arrow (I don't know why people hate Alette and/or Rook to be honest, mind you). You can get the family drama after the battle (if you have both characters during the battle leave the family drama as it stands now).

CSRosewood
01-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Actually I think Oddlief is the worst archer of the bunch. I still use her, but her ability can be less productive than Alette's, and I have used both proficiently well. And for Rook, well yes his armor break is much better than his mark pray, I just don't think that's its intended purpose. If Rook sustain considerable Strength damage, Mark Pray makes an appealing substitute towards killing an opponent by using the Strength of his allies instead of his weaken self. Think Rook works exceptionally well when in a group of archers, which the game seems to provide plenty of in his caravan.

In any case, Rook 'finding his way back to her' can work both ways, dead or alive. Dead, might just introduce the gods to you and why they're are silent, or alive, he'll stop at nothing till he finds a way to bring her back. I'm getting a feeling if someone -does- come back from the dead, whoever you sent will come back much better than before.

I'm still debating on which ending is more appropriate. While Alette's death is sadder, in that no parent should have to witness a death of a child (which is an important theme to the story), I'm leaning towards Rook as his death will cause Alette to be more independent (as he always wanted if you read his description) while possibly making a triumphant return to protect the one(s) he cares about. Maybe he ends up cheating death with the gods absent. Who knows.