PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 4 Starting Supplies

AgentTBC
02-17-2014, 07:07 PM
I just started over twice before realizing what was going on; no matter how many supplies with which you end Chapter 2 and how much renown you have spent on supplies you start chapter 4 (if you don't pick up Onef) with 18 supplies which is 3 days worth. That means if you don't know this in advance (and requiring that sort of foreknowledge would be terrible design) it is VERY easy to start chapter 4 with no food and no renown with which to buy more food, making your caravan face a slow lingering death by starvation. Obviously the effects of starvation are somewhat lacking at this point but the solution is to make starvation matter.

So is it a bug that you start Chapter 4 with 18 supplies and lose any renown you spent prior to that? Because it's either a bug or an extremely dubious design decision. If it is intended to start Chapter 4 with 18 supplies you should not be able to buy food with renown prior to that point.

CSRosewood
02-18-2014, 12:10 AM
The interesting thing is that you don't need to buy any supplies whatsoever during chapter 2 to make it to Frostverl. And yes, sadly, whatever happens between chapter 2 and 4, your caravan eat their supplies to the point of 3 days remaining. Kinda crummy. However, even if you don't do the Onef supply run, you can still obtain enough supplies by choosing to stay outside the walls at the end of chapter 2 and fight 3 consecutive battles with the dredge. Should get you enough renown to buy enough supplies to make it to the next place.

gripho
02-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I agree they should have either prevent people from buying supplies in Frostvellr during chapter 2, or refunded the renown used at the beginning of chapter 4 (deeds done during the ellipsis?)

AgentTBC
02-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Yeah I read you can do that but you shouldn't have to use knowledge gained from a previous playthrough. I just don't think you should be allowed to spend all your renown on food and stuff prior to chapter 4 when it's all going to disappear with no warning.

CSRosewood
02-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Well, I do think the supplies should disappear based on how many days you spend in chapter 3.

Ludin's front teeth
05-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Well, I do think the supplies should disappear based on how many days you spend in chapter 3.

that makes absolutely no sense - Rook's time in Frostvellr has nothing to do whatsoever with how long Hakon takes to arrive in/get out of Ridgehorn (not to mention the unfortunate design decision to skate through Schlid and zip to Grofheim with not even an option to camp and Promote).

confirmed the following:

1) without buying any supplies in chapter 2, and gaining Hogun, Mogun, and otherwise maximum Clansmen and Fighters, we reach Frostvellr with 6 days of supplies remaining;
2) tending the wounded (to improve morale), then deciding to 'try something else' (not even checking out the water passage) takes two more days off;
3) regardless of staying inside or outside the town, and if inside regardless of cooperating with Ekkil, after concluding the opening fight(s) with Ekkil's thugs or dredge, there are 3 days of supplies remaining.

still need to test staying outside + not confronting dredge (thus not gaining pile of Clansmen)...

Aleonymous
05-05-2014, 07:01 AM
still need to test staying outside + not confronting dredge (thus not gaining pile of Clansmen)...

It's the same deal, i.e. you start Chapter 4 with ~3 days of supplies.

This is all a side-effect of using a single day-counter for two separate story-lines. The "global" day-counter (starting from Ubin's arrival in Strand) has no use apart from that "Make it in 120 days to Boersagard" achievement. Also, the fact that "The Sun has Stopped in the Sky" makes time-keeping a little troublesome (from a lore perspective). Anyway, bypassing the no-night issue, I'd have instituted some sort of a calendar and measure time using that. Evidently, the day that Hakon's caravan reaches the ruin of Grofheim does not have to be the same day that Rook's caravan decides to leave Frostvellr. That surely needs better "support", in the story I mean, especially in the ending of Ch2 and the start of Ch4.