PDA

View Full Version : The Sagas of the Green, Gold and Red Banners

Aleonymous
02-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Hello happy vikings!

I made this map with the travels of each caravan in the first part of The Banner Saga.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cakzmrqz4307i1/TBS1_Map.jpg?raw=1

The green banner is under Ubin's POV, in Chapter 1. The gold banner is under Hakon's POV in Chapter 3. The dashed and dotted lines mark travels that are not explicitly lived-through, but happen during the course of the particular chapter or shortly afterwards. The red banner is under Rook's POV in Chapters 2,4,6 & 7.

Also, I've marked with black color-outlined circles the important locations visited. I am planning to add the travel times between each pair of "checkpoints".

Feel free to report mistakes and propose additions! :)

quartex
02-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Nice job! I understand what the solid and dashed lines represent, but who do the dotted lines represent?

Aleonymous
02-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Nice job! I understand what the solid and dashed lines represent, but who do the dotted lines represent?

Oh, that... Nothing really, it's just another line-with-arrow showing the direction of travel that over-arcs the whole path of one chapter, that could encompass several "spans" (for instance, Chapter 4 has two spans in this map: Frostvellr-->Wyrmtoe and Wyrmtoe-->Einartoft). I just wanted a single-curve passing through each chapter number, is all :)

** The only exception is the yellow-dotted line, Grofheim-->Einartoft, which is the course of the "Missing Hakon Chapter" that happens in parallel with Rook's Chapter 4.

Aleonymous
02-19-2014, 06:05 PM
OK, here's the day-count of the story, taking the fastest possible decisions (I think). I took that from the savegame listings:

Day Location
---------------------------
Ch1: 0 Strand Arrival
Ch2: 3 Forest Encounter
4 Skogr Arrival
6 Hridvaldyr Godstone
11 Frostvelr Arrival
Ch3: 11 Vedrfell Departure
18 Denglr Godstone
24 Ridgehorn Arrival
47 Grofheim Arrival (lead-in to Ch. 4)
Ch4: 49 Frostvelr Departure
52 Radormyr Godstone
57 Wyrmtoe Arrival
60 Marek Godstone
65 Hadrborg Godstone
71 Einartoft Arrival
Ch5: 72 Einartoft Siege (Serpent-Juno converstation)
Ch6: 72 Einartoft Departure
80 Dundr Godstone
84 Ingrid Godstone
88 Sigrholm Arrival
95 Bjorulf Godstone
Ch7: 102 Boersgard Arrival
106 Stravhs Godstone
106 Bellower Fight

I might upgrade this in the future to include un-mentioned important places, special events (e.g. Onef mutiny), market locations & prices etc.

netnazgul
02-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Ch7: 102 Boersgard Arrival
So there are 18 days available for rest to get "120 days to Boersgard" achievement :)

Argail
02-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Lovely map Aleonymous. Thanks for sharing! :)

Arnie
02-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Really cool, Aleo! This is almost exactly what our maps look like when laying out the game, we even use different colors, arrows and dots at the end of the travels to denote when changing caravans. We've already got a first round pass of this done for Chapter 2.
Great stuff. :)

Aleonymous
02-26-2014, 10:32 AM
We've already got a first round pass of this done for Chapter 2.

I wonder where will that journey us to :rolleyes: I expect the caravan to reach the human capital (Arberrang) or the Mender's HQ (Manaharr) at some point in the not-so-distant future!

On another track, I was trying to cross-check the following map-related info: As all caravan-travel mode is done in a side-view, what is the direction we are looking at? Most of the journeying is more-or-less along the East-West axis, so I expect that we're mostly looking towards the North, right? Did you (Arnie) keep that meticulously into account when drawing the background-landscape?

roder
02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
it would be really cool if you could see an actual banner flowing through the entire journey on the map. even better if there are alternate paths to take on the map so you can see the diversion of the banner to others' banner tale.