PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for further patches/updates to Banner Saga?

roder
02-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Just wondering, and if so - what could we expect from them?

Aleonymous
02-27-2014, 02:43 AM
They should at least fix those Silver-Arrow bugs in the Bellower fight, as well as some other minor issues here-and-there (that I am sure they've tracked down but didn't have time to address). I honestly don't believe they'll want to invest more time on making a "big patch" (new content/features, rebalancing etc)...

raven2134
02-27-2014, 05:30 AM
Well John is still out on vacation. Should be able to let you guys know whats what once he's back. Should be around end of first week of March.

roder
02-27-2014, 11:43 AM
thanks raven

Myll_Erik
02-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Their will likely be some patches to address smaller things and bugs.

Argail
02-27-2014, 06:04 PM
I hope Stoic will improve the performance. :)

Aleonymous
02-28-2014, 03:12 AM
The one thing I hope (but don't believe) they will address is -- give incentives to keep caravan-population alive & growing.

roder
02-28-2014, 09:44 AM
The one thing I hope (but don't believe) they will address is -- give incentives to keep caravan-population alive & growing.

thats the only thing i want before i play a 2nd playthrough :D

Ludin's front teeth
05-03-2014, 01:13 PM
it'd be nice to polish up the spelling & weird twists in logic, at the very least...
my favorite example of the latter: Skulje "carried in a hidden place, giving enemies second thought about getting close" - so it's sending telepathic suggestions that they should stay away, and it only works if they can't see it? begs for simplification - "wicked-looking ceremonial dagger makes foes think twice about getting too close"

more ambitious - i can understand keeping the no-Ekkil-without-Onef situation in place, but the sequence of

1) caravan leaves Frostvellr without killing Onef to get in and without letting him join later (either turning down Onef's proposition, not cooperating with Ekkil, or never staying inside the walls in the first place)
2) Onef catches up with stolen supplies (you know, the thing that makes Ekkil chase after you if you're the one who steals them?)
3) Rook tells Onef to piss off -> battle!
4) the supplies mysteriously vanish AND Ekkil doesn't come after them

is absurd. either make the fight tougher and increase supplies upon victory, or add plausible narrative about how Onef's people get in your massive caravan's way to prevent you from seizing the supplies while your battle party fights his, and the supplies escape back to Frostvellr, or have Ekkil come after the supplies that Onef most definitely stole yet which mysteriously disappeared when you killed Onef's guys (unless Onef killed Ekkil to get them in the first place, in which case why not say so - except then there's no excuse for having Ekkil come after the supplies when you do recruit Onef 'the second time'), or at least have Onef make the supplies dissolve/explode with his final breath. just, please, make it more plausible than "outlaws totally confuse you and steal a bunch of your stuff while several of them are standing right in front of you and no matter how many archers you have you do nothing to any of them".

Ludin's front teeth
05-03-2014, 01:21 PM
at this point i would rather push for "larger population = benefits starting Part II" than "you know you want to piss off Onef & Ivar & Fasolt (or impress Alette & Oddleif) by maximizing mouths to feed because [slightly unbalancing in-game carrot!]". but i won't complain if they end up spending effort on the latter!

but if it's not already the case, i would appreciate the Birth random event to have a likelihood of occurring based entirely on caravan population. (possibly even slightly modified if you allow/encourage Oddleif's training - a slight decrease in chance as some clanswomen put their lives more directly on the line)

Aleonymous
05-05-2014, 06:35 AM
it'd be nice to polish up the spelling & weird twists in logic, at the very least...my favorite example of the latter: Skulje [...]

more ambitious - i can understand keeping the no-Ekkil-without-Onef situation in place, but the sequence of [...] is absurd.

I didn't mind the lore/item descriptions, as long as their effect on the battle (or the story) is clear. But, in any case, I wouldn't object to them being further elaborated or "logical-ized" either. I'd also like to see more "cursed" items, like this one (http://bannersaga.gamepedia.com/Spor%C3%B0dreki_B%C3%BAr) (gives you a +2 aggro [negative] for a negligible bonus of 5% dodge)...

The Ekkill/Onef is perhaps one of the strongest plot-twists of the game. I can't argue that it was perfectly "delivered" or that everything about it makes crystal-clear sense, but it's surely nice to have around. I think that small balance-changes and/or dialogue twists, applied here-and-there, can make this event almost perfect. We can discuss this in the modding thread (coming soon) and decide on how to have it better played-out.

at this point i would rather push for "larger population = benefits starting Part II"

... the Birth random event to have a likelihood of occurring based entirely on caravan population...

Well, that is a "bypass" solution, meaning that the first game (when played on its own) should also have some coherence w.r.t. saving the caravan population. Revising the "Birth" random event (which has only positive consequences to the caravan) the way you propose is a good start. Perhaps other events such as this one, i.e. positive-consequence events triggered by high-population, should be introduced to the game, particularly near the end where renown, supplies and morale become problems. This can also be done by modding (to be further discussed elsewhere).

Yellow
05-06-2014, 04:36 AM
The Ekkill/Onef is perhaps one of the strongest plot-twists of the game.

If the event was somehow related/linked to your caravan morale and to how many people you have lost because of hunger/or in battle etc, then i could agree with you, but right now it happens "just because"........

I can't argue that it was perfectly "delivered" or that everything about it makes crystal-clear sense, but it's surely nice to have around. I think that small balance-changes and/or dialogue twists, applied here-and-there, can make this event almost perfect. We can discuss this in the modding thread (coming soon) and decide on how to have it better played-out.

Looking forward to that, but i hate having to rely on mods to fix core problems withing any game, specially if they are lore/story related.

Aleonymous
05-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Looking forward to that, but i hate having to rely on mods to fix core problems withing any game, specially if they are lore/story related.

The only "core" story elements, imo, are:

Varl caravan, led by Hakon, reaches Einartoft. En route, they meet/rescue Eyvind (but leave Juno for dead) and witness the destruction of Grofheim.
Human caravan, led by Rook/Alette/Iver, reaches Einartoft where they meet the Varl caravan & Eyvind. All other plot events of Chapters 2 & 4 (Oddleif, Egil, Hogun/Mogun, Ekkill/Onef, Krumr) seem of secondary nature. Even the quite lengthy events at Frostvellr, outside and inside, do not seem important.
We witness a cutscene between the Serpent and Juno-resurrected. We come to understand that Dredge are fleeing from something even worse ("the Darkness").
Einartoft falls to the Dredge led by Bellower, with a heroic stance (would-be-sacrifice) by Iver. The Varl and human caravans escape and split again.
Rook's caravan keeps moving southwards, until they reach Boersgard where they meet the Ravens. From the concept art presented, I anticipate that Bolverk plays a major role in the things to come.
Juno meets Hakon's caravan, somewhere, and makes it to Boersgard with them.
She devises the "Silver-Arrow" plan to defeat Bellower, which succeeds but also causes the death of the, so-called, "Hero of Skogr".

That said, I think that we (i.e. the modders) can do whatever we like with the Ekkill/Onef side-story, as it is of minor importance. Personally, I think that the biggest problems with it are: (a) the motives of Onef's and --especially-- Ekkill's actions are kinda vague/weak, (b) the "delayed blast" mechanic that just robs you of a favorite character (Egil) feels too unfair. The problem (a) can be fixed with changes to dialogue scenes, at Frostvellr, and near/after the mutiny. The problem (b) can be fixed with a more intricate design of the mutiny event, e.g. placing multiple outcomes that lead to the death of any of {Egil,Ekkill,Onef}, along with major side-effects to the caravan's stats (Morale, Supplies, Population).

Yellow
05-06-2014, 06:13 AM
The only "core" story elements

I remember saying core problem, not "core story elements"...

Anyways, while those points you mentioned might form part of the main story arc that stoic is trying to narrate us with the game, i don't consider them the "only" core elements on the narrative neither. Without the many other mini-stories that the player can observe and/or influence trough the length of the entire journey, the game wouldn't even feel half done. So in my opinion, "core narrative elements" are not restricted nor limited to those big main story arcs.

Now back to what i did said: "core problem"
For me any big plot-hole/inconsistency in the story is a "core problem" in any game. And this example with the mutiny is in my opinion a big one, as it affects a big chunk of main characters!

That said, I think that we (i.e. the modders) can do whatever we like with the Ekkill/Onef side-story, as it is of minor importance. Personally, I think that the biggest problems with it are: (a) the motives of Onef's and --especially-- Ekkill's actions are kinda vague/weak, (b) the "delayed blast" mechanic that just robs you of a favorite character (Egil) feels too unfair. The problem (a) can be fixed with changes to dialogue scenes, at Frostvellr, and near/after the mutiny. The problem (b) can be fixed with a more intricate design of the mutiny event, e.g. placing multiple outcomes that lead to the death of any of {Egil,Ekkill,Onef}, along with major side-effects to the caravan's stats (Morale, Supplies, Population).

As i said, i agree and i am looking forward to see the changes made! But i would be an hypocrite if i told you that i am not disappointed by the fact that mods have to fix narrative issues within the game.

Aleonymous
05-06-2014, 07:14 AM
As i said, i agree and i am looking forward to see the changes made! But i would be an hypocrite if i told you that i am not disappointed by the fact that mods have to fix narrative issues within the game.

I can't say I am 100% satisfied with everything in the game, either. But, I try to fix the things that I don't like. With all the time I've devoted to the Saga and its community, this game feels a little bit like "my game" too. So, I won't stop at just being disappointed at something about "my game".

stoicmom
05-07-2014, 06:39 AM
sorry, posted in wrong place :o should have been under invalid login thread

Little Horus
06-13-2014, 06:48 PM
I know what they should patch. That nasty surprise with Oneff. Having Ekill stoping him if you let him join as a party member instead of a prisioner.