PDA

View Full Version : User-hostile interface decisions

skington
04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
I backed the Kickstarter but only got around to playing the game the other day; I've skimmed this forum but haven't seen anything that appeared to be related to what I want to say, but I could be mistaken. So apologies if these points have been brought up already.

Also, I can't see anywhere how to tell which version of the Banner Saga I have. I'm playing the non-DRM version which calls itself 2.1.65 in Mac OS X, 22nd January 2014, but I have no idea if that's accurate. This version number doesn't appear to resemble anything in the patches & updates thread, for instance.

FWIW, I'm really liking the game from what I've seen so far. It's just that it does some of the stupid video game things that really annoy me. For instance:

(1) Please give me a way of quitting entirely

At the moment, if I want to quit the game, I need to go to options (or Escape), and select Quit game, which asks me if I'm sure (fair enough); then I get dumped back to the loading screen, and I have to select Quit again. To add insult to injury, Mac OS then claims that the application quit unexpectedly so I have to tell it to shut up too.

Why not give me the option of saying "yeah, I want to quit to desktop, please save me the clicks"?

(2) Please let me restart a fight as-is

I completely understand and embrace the way the game tries to save milestones, for replayability, but avoid save file scumming. But it gets frustrating if I realise that I got my initial move wrong in a given fight, and while I can reload, I need to sit through the animation of people arriving at a village, and then go through a dialogue tree before I can get to the fight again.

Yellow
04-29-2014, 03:13 AM
+1 to both

Aleonymous
04-29-2014, 03:19 AM
I am indifferent to the first. The second has been asked multiple times, and I wouldn't mind really. A less drastic addition would be an "undo" button, that you have right to use only a couple of times per match.

Sin2x
04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Good thing that there is still no "undo" in real-world chess. Stoic, don't casualize the game.

Yellow
04-30-2014, 05:03 AM
Good thing that there is still no "undo" in real-world chess. Stoic, don't casualize the game.

It wouldn't be too hard to have an autosave at the start of each battle, just saying....Having the option to not be forced to go trough the same long dialog and cut scene over and over again is not "casualising" anything!

Also many games have already the option to either, "quit to main menu" or "quit to deskop" don't see why this one cant...

Aleonymous
04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Stoic, don't casualize the game.

There's no such thing as casual games; there's only casual gamers... ;)