PDA

View Full Version : The Banner Saga Localization Beta Test

John
05-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Hello everybody, our next patch is almost ready, and we are excited to announce that includes translations for 5 more languages: German, Russian, French, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Polish. Spanish is coming in a few weeks and is not in this patch build.

If you would like to participate in testing the translations, please follow the instructions and read the Release Notes below. If you encounter any problems with the patch, or have any feedback and questions, please use this thread to discuss. You may also participate in the Steamworks forum if you prefer: http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/540742667756899958/

Instructions for participating in the Beta:

Navigate to your Steam Client LIBRARY
Right-click "The Banner Saga"
Click "Properties..."
Click the "BETAS" tab
In the dropdown box labeled "Select the beta...", choose "localization"
Close the Properties dialog

The game should now start to update. When it is complete, you will be able to launch the new build of the game.

NOTE: Save file locations have changed. The new build will move your save files to a new location. See below for details.

RELEASE NOTES 2.5.52:

Localization

The game has been localized into 5 additional languages:

French
German
Russian
Polish
Portuguese (Brazil)

You can set your game language via Steam using the Properties->LANGUAGE menu. You can also change the language in-game via the options (Escape) menu. If the game language has been changed manually, the game should continue to start in that language until it is changed again manually, or until the Steam Client language changes and the client is restarted. If you select a language other than English, Subtitles should be enabled for you automatically.

In general, we want to GUIs to update immediately upon language change. Acceptable exceptions are:

temporary tutorial tooltips that are already displayed on screen
subtitles for video and VO for the duration of the current video or VO
chat bubbles that are already displayed on screen
The "Battle!", "Forge Ahead!", and "Pillage!" animations

Please take care looking for words that don't fit, don't appear, are incorrect, or are in English when they should not be.

Save Profiles:

There are now 5 Save Profile slots. When you create, resume, or load a game from a Save Profile, all saves for that profile go into a directory specifically for that profile. The folder is

The Profile menu is displayed when you attempt to Load or Resume a game from the Start Screen. When the player selects 'New Game' it automatically creates the new game in the next Profile, if one is available. If none are available, the Profile menu is displayed. If the player attempts to Load a game while playing, the Profile menu is never displayed.

The first time a player runs the patched game, her save files are automatically copied into profile 0 (zero). They are copied from the Local Store folder:

save/saga1/

into the Local Store profile folder:

save/saga1/0/

Bellower Fight

Made the Bellower fight easier by lowering his max str/arm for the second round in normal and easy mode. Also made his henchmen lower tiers.

All characters should now be un-wounded before the Bellower fight.

Incorrect caravan members:

Hogun and Mogun no longer join the caravan if they die in the fight outside the village where you first meet them. Repro: help the brothers in the fight at their village, lose the battle. The resulting popup says they were killed in the skirmish. They should no longer appear in the player's roster.

Fasolt no longer joins you in some circumstances after Einartoft. Repro: previously, if the player chooses to help Eyvind destroy the bridge at Einartoft, and the player fails the fight against the varl or surrenders, Fasolt will survive the bridge scenario. Iver appears and talks to Jorundr, who tells them to leave the city. Fasolt would then be in the party. Fasolt should no longer appear in the party in this scenario.

Battle GUI:

There are now hover/glow states for the small stars used for allocating willpower to attacks or abilities.

Miscellaneous Improvements:

Spelling fixes
Pixel gap removal
GUI Loading system
Texture size reduction

KNOWN ISSUES:

Percent chance to hit is not appearing on the enemy popup when the enemy's armor is greater than the attacker's strength.
Subtitles don't automatically enable if the language is set from the Steam Client

Aleonymous
05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, John.

Two quick questions that might save all of us time & frustration:
(1) How long do you intend to "run" this beta? Will it become inaccessible (back to patch #1) once it ends, or it will just "wait" for finalization/release?
(2) What type/scale of feedback are you guys looking for, with this beta? As I said, I am not a native speaker of any of the five new languages, but I can imagine people whining about this-and-that not sounding nice (terms, mostly) etc.

I also got a glimpse of the Zeno tool, too. Pretty neat! :D I am gonna dive into it, once we're done with this localization beta.

Stobinator
05-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the beta access!

I've just had a quick look at the first few minutes of the game in German and have to say that there a quite a few issues that strikes the eye (and a few that are a bit more subtle).

1. Overlapping text when hovering over the willpower meter on the battle screen:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/1.png

2. Cut off text on the end of battle screen:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/2.png
- There is either a letter missing at the end of the text string or the German word "Belohnungen" ('Rewards') is cut off.
- The promotion message in the middle of the prompt is probably also cut off, as the current wording does not make an awful lot of sense in German.

3. Save game names don't seem to be translated:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/3.png
- This could be down to the profile slot having been populated with data before the localisation update was applied.

4. Awkward and inconsistent line breaking behaviour in help text boxes:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/4.png
- The lines often break in the middle of the sentence. This could be down to manual line breaks being inadequately inserted in the German strings where the line length does not match with the original English.

5. Random set of characters at the beginning and end of a subtitle string:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/5.png
- This is the only instance I have found so far and the characters could just be in the text file, but I thought I'd mention it here, just in case these are for some odd reason inserted by script.

These issues have been found on a MacBook 13inch in native retina resolution.
This is it for the issues that could affect functionality, there are however a few linguistic issues that I thought are worth mentioning.

1. Dredge - Wüter:
I'm not quite sure what to think of the translation for 'Dredge', which literally translates to 'someone who rages' or 'someone who causes havoc'. On the one hand it's quite creative, matches the general nature of the Dredge and has a nice mysterious ring to it, but on the other hand it looked somewhat out of place to me when I first read it. I had to actually think about what the word was referring to me, but I also think it has the potential to grow on me. When I personally thought of a translation for Dredge, I was thinking about a word that keeps the sound of the English with German spelling applied, such as "Dretsch" or "Dretschen". This would go in line with other race names such as "Varl" and also has very nordic sound to it.

2. Dredge Grunt - Wüter-Landser:
Now, this one is a bit problematic. The German word "Landser" has quite a negative connotation. It is in fact just a word for a plain foot soldier, but it has been particularly used during WWII. Since then it has been somewhat discredited and is also the name of an infamous German nazi rock band. There are probably better words to translate 'grunt' which avoid the potential nazi reference altogether, such as "Fußvolk" ('foot soldiers') or the plain old "Soldat" ('soldier').

3. Poor ability translation:
Some of the ability translations don't really match the context, up to a point where I would consider them mistranslations. For example, the German translation of 'rally' literally translates to "collection", and 'tempest' has been translated as '(thunder)storm'. For 'tempest' there would have been the word "Wirbelwind", which matches the context, perfectly describes the twisting motion of the attack and keeps the storm reference.

4. Generally inadequate translations:
Don't get me wrong. Most of the dialogue translations are competent. There are no severe mistakes and some of the phrases have been translated excellently. One thing I noticed though, is that you can tell that the text has been translated from English, which is never a good thing for a localization. Sometimes the German doesn't feel natural, some conversations don't make perfect sense in German and often inadequate words have been chosen. For example, 'Governor' has been translated literally as "Gouverneur", which is a valid translation, but to match the medieval viking setting, the term "Statthalter" would have been much better. 'Landsman' as part of the 'light step' ability has been translated as "Landratte", which is a derogative term used by sailors to describe non-sailors and of course does not match the context here. 'Chieftain' in the intro battle has been translated as "Oberhaupt" ('leader'), which does not read natural and should have been "Hauptmann" ('chieftain') or "Anführer" ('ringleader'). The list goes on...

I don't think this thread is the right place to discuss every little linguistic nuance, that's why I'll leave it for now. If there are other Germans in the forum interested in discussing the German localization, I'd be happy to go into more detail, maybe in a dedicated thread.

To sum it up, I'd say the German translation has a lot of room to improve, which I think is a bit of a shame. The original English has such a dense and coherent atmosphere, but the German localisation somewhat fails to properly convey that atmosphere. Of course most of the raised points are highly objective, but I feel very passionate about localization, which is why I apply pretty high standards. Just out of interest, one thing I'd like to know is whether the game was tested by dedicated language testers or not. Is this what the localization beta is for, or have the localizations already had in-game quality assurance?

John
05-26-2014, 08:01 PM
@Stobinator

1. Good catch. That might even overlap in english. What's with the English at the bottom of the screen though? Did you change the language to german while the bottom text was already displaying english?
2. We caught alot of these but obviously not all. Will fix for the next build. Regarding the promotion message in the middle -- I don't think it is actually cut of. Perhaps the translation is just incorrect. In english this would have been "Tempered by blood, pain and resolve, Eirik is ready for promotion!".
3. This is actually the new 'Profile' menu, which doesn't contain save names, but the "Day 1" should be translated. Will fix for next build.
4. We can improve this. Some of the translations maintained the same relative line breaks (exactly as you surmise), but in general I've been trying to remove the hard line breaks when not absolutely necessary and just let the algorithmic line wrapping behavior handle it. From this image I would fix the tooltips for Renown (Ansehen wird durch...), Bio (Informationen: Hier erfährst...), and Ability (Fähigkeit: Dies ist die...).
5. Those are the 'Inklewriter' specific italics characters not getting processed. Will fix

Regarding your linguistic issues, I am going to bring this up with our translation team for feedback. Thank you for bringing the issues to my attention.

To answer your final question, this public Beta is the first time we are testing the game for language content, and this is the purpose of the public beta. We have spent the last week doing QA but primarily by english speakers for the purpose of dealing with the technical issues such as words getting cut off, overlapping, not showing up in the desired language at all, etc... As you might imagine, we had our hands full dealing with all those issues.

At this stage I would like to use feedback such as yours to guide any necessary revisions by the translation team (and find any technical issues we may have missed). If you do end up involved in a dedicated German thread, I will include the translators on it so that they can read and perhaps respond as needed.

John
05-26-2014, 08:04 PM
1. The beta will hopefully no more than 1 day. We will incorporate any linguistic feedback, and deal with any technical issues that arise, create a final build, test it with our QA team, and release it.
2. Technical issues such as words getting truncated or overlapped, english text appearing where it should not, will need to be addressed. Native or fluent readers in the target languages are encouraged to give linguistic and contextual feedback if anything feels incorrect or out of place.

Thanks for the heads-up, John.

Two quick questions that might save all of us time & frustration:
(1) How long do you intend to "run" this beta? Will it become inaccessible (back to patch #1) once it ends, or it will just "wait" for finalization/release?
(2) What type/scale of feedback are you guys looking for, with this beta? As I said, I am not a native speaker of any of the five new languages, but I can imagine people whining about this-and-that not sounding nice (terms, mostly) etc.

I also got a glimpse of the Zeno tool, too. Pretty neat! :D I am gonna dive into it, once we're done with this localization beta.

Stobinator
05-26-2014, 08:35 PM
1. Doesn't overlap in English as far as I can tell. The English wording is much shorter ('Great Morale' vs "Hervorragende Moral", 'willpower' vs "Willenskraft"). And yes, the English at the bottom displays, because it was already on screen when I changed the language.
2. There are definitely words missing in German then. Looks like the translations of '...and resolve...' and '...is...' are cut off. I'm gonna take a guess and say that the cut-off German is "... und Entschlossenheit ist ...", which would be positioned immediately after the second line and before the name of the character.
4. There are also more of these on other screens. For example on the battle screen the help text for 'Stat Banner' and 'Horn' has awkward line breaking.

Thanks for answering my question. I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the low amount of overlaps and the like. German is usually very heavily affected by these issues, due to the enormous length of words and phrases. Especially for a PC game with variable screen resolutions, you did a great job on resolving these issues!

visorium
05-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Надмозг отокуе или куплеты на длинном флаге корована

Русский с маленькой буквы в меню - это неправильно, ребята.
Хотя, такой русский, возможно, и стоит писать с маленькой буквы:(
PS: Заранее прошу прощения за излишнюю экспрессивность, но я очень долго ждал этого перевода и был очень разочарован

Вот список ошибок, которые я заметил с начала игры и не доходя до второго камня. Причем это самые вопиющие - некоторые фразы пришлось бы выписывать целиком, это уже выше моих сил.
Времена глаголов, падежи, склонения, пунктуация, стилистика, грамматика... ничто не уцелело.

Here is a list of mistakes i found from the beginning of the game and to godstone of Denglr. And i must add that it`s only a small part of them - just the most stupid. Grammar, stylistics, sequence of tenses are almost totally ruined! There are no orphographical mistakes, though.
I already mentioned translation of "warhawk" with word 'ветрогон', which means "someone who makes the wind blow" literally, but in fact it`s just a guy who farts or a remedy to ease this process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carminative). If it`s a joke - it`s a bad one.

- ветрогон - это что? пукальщик? (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ветрогонное_средство) Если уж не хочется переводить warhawk дословно как "ястреб войны", есть много хороших слов с подходящим смыслом: Буревестник там, Ураган, мало ли! Умение его назвать - широкий замах, вихрь.
- пульсирующие клетки
- полигон (казарма)
- павильон (лавка, лоток, прилавки). Вообще очень много современных слов, которые портят атмосферу, и при этом легко заменяются на простые синонимы.
- отрывок с явлением Эрика, который подошёл, приблизившись, и приступил
- Убин: здесь все слегка хаотично (ыыы)
- портового рынок
- вы слоняетесь между рядами открытым лицом домов? (это машинный или переводчик слабоумен?)
- если все думают, что я урабатываюсь вусмерть, откуда мне много знать? (что это?)
- хадд прячется с взмахом руки эйрик
- Гуннульф о новом прикиде: нет, просто купил их, пока вы ходили вокруг. Почему? (вместо "А что?")
- клановцы, бойцы и варл (одинокий варл) (клановцы ? куклуксклановцы. заменить на - клан)
- через несколько минут появляется эйрик с обветренным человеком (лицо, руки, жопа могут быть обветренными, но не человек)
- эйрик стоит во главе стола с поднятым топором (что это? мЫшинный перевод.)
- эйрик после битвы: А вот и они. (с ними покончено... не? да, вот эти ребята:)
- эйрик выглядывает из окна в бухту (а чо, эпос же. вот он прямо в бухту и выглянул)
- реплика Убина после фразы о кораблях, флагах и гостях безграмотна чуть более чем полностью.
- варл ступает на пристань. Вы вспоминаете его молодую версию, расхаживающую (...шта?)
- он пытается сказать то, что...
- молодой принц людей отбросил свою тунику (либо, это был плащ, либо Лудин решил стриптиз устроить)
- Стренд не чужой для варлов, но редко в нем бывает так много. (чегокого?)
- женщина в красном подзывает вам взмахом (чего?) и стоит рядом (когда успела??), и, главное, смайлик "=/"
- ношу десятины в столицу (пироги он бабушке носит! или налоги, всё таки. Еще и десятины во множественном числе. Две десятины - это уже двадцатина?:))
- выражение Лудина похоже на каменную стену. (сцуко, поэтично и безграмотно)
- пить с весельем (беззаботно пить, не?)
- интрига, чтобы создать родство... (это что там варлы задумали?)
- воины следовали за тобой из-за того, какими поступками ты показал себя. (детсадовское построение фраз)
- вы нетрезво встаете (вы встаёте, покачиваясь)
- вы толкаете Вогнира: "ты нужен" (шта?)
- где находится ваш караван в мире (в мире, что тут не ясно-то)
- лед, который разрывает корабли (напополам, бля)
- проведите еще несколько дней с мальчиком, старый друг (что за бабка пишет? что это за сюси-пуси? там вообще большая путаница с "вы" и "ты")
- Терпением Лудина не тягаться с Хаконом (мЫшинный перевод)
- караван, разбивающий палатки (всесте со льдом, который разрывает корабли)
- путевая точка (и непутёвая тоже есть)
- драгский. просто драгский. (и Драгунский)
- "король лежит без движения, за исключением расползшегося пятна крови" (вот оно двииигается)
- "вся эта еда. все что мы получим до начала зимы" (рыдаю)
- не беги, дай мне подумать (Алетт стоит на месте! или нет?)
- возвышается над людьми в тренировочном поле (мЫшинный перевод)
- люди бегут от окраины (окраины чего? Москвы, видать)
- ещё один вождь (почему не тан? дык индейцы же они все!)
- Боже, Рук, не начинай говорить им, что я знаю, что делаю (да никогда, блеа, нет, нет... проспись, мЫшинный переводчик)
- сколько мы ещё будем продолжать эту игру? (не знаю, с таким-то переводом...)
- я убил достачно булыжников на своём веку (штошто)
- Я принял кое-какие решения. Но скажите мне прямо, оба из вас...
- обещайте что погибнете зря
- вы вступаете на гор. площадь. толпы драг виднеются в каждом направлении
- вождь съёживается ( как мошонка на морозе?)
- это застало нас врасплох (что это?)
- Это трудно, но вы тащите себя к двери тронного зала... (вы часто тащите себя?)
- поднимаетесь на смотровую возвышенность (шта?)
- Когда вы возвращаетесь к ним, вы видите, что были неприятности (не всё прошло гладко)
- божий камень (просто камень. божий человечек, божья милость... "Камень бога Хридвальдира" или "Камень Хридвальдира")
- бросают свои скудные пожитки у божьего камня Хридвальдира (здрасьте, божий камень Хридвальдир - приятно познакомиться)
- я встрял нянчиться с кучкой слабаков (ох и встрял, кто-то решил щегольнуть знанием сленга...)
- "Мы не хотим встречаться с ними наедине" (с драгами они, видите ли, свиданькаться не хотят, бессердечные, никаких охов-вздохов, не будет свидания!)
- рассерженные члены клана ищут удовлетворения (Содом и Гоморра)
- Не останется ничего забрасывать, когда придут драги. (мЫшинный перевод)
- молотильщик (http://ru.masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Молотильщики) а трешер и в Африке трешер
- проныра - бэкбитер (проныра всё равно не передаёт значения оригинала)
- длинное знамя коравана (это они про баннер, про стяг-то свой)
- я не хочу убивать человека (какого?)
- вышивая новые куплеты на знамени (куплетисты, чо там)
- потому это кажется таким отсталым (ааа?)
- не видя,как они бежали свой город
- стала вашим бременем
- это выглядит не очень хорошо (выглядит скверно. - аа?)
- в настоящее время никого не пускают (СЕЙЧАС, есть такое слово)
- Каким-то образом мы попадём внутрь стен (вас, сцуко, замуруют там)
- Постоялый двор забит беженцами, больными и ранеными, а также полон шума.
- Что за хрень вы делаете (вопрос к переводчику)
- Достаточно хорошо (пффф)
- уже достаточно вещей пошло не так (видимо, нет - ни конца ни края не вижу этому издевательству над хорошей игрой)
- нам придётся повторить это лишь позже. и я не потерплю всё это второй раз. (шта? мЫшинный перевод)
- Странствующая дорога (как пьянствующее вино)
- меня тошнит смотреть на эту помойку
- опять этот смайлик "=/"
- не стройте из себя крутого, юноша (шотошото? это что-за бабка переводит?)
- Лудин посмотрел на вас так, словно вы только что ударили себя по лицу (шотошото?)
- слухи распространяются и достигают Могра (кривота)
- Вы спрашиваете, что они делают. "Разламываем тут всё" говорит он (кточтокому??)
- у тебя есть один выстрел (мЫшинный перевод)
- это не то, что я видел (мЫшинный перевод)
- до вас доносится крик, стандартное приветствие варлов (мЫшинный перевод)
- на вид их несколько сотен (на первый взгляд)

Дальше не осилил...

Стоики! Вам нужен хороший корректор.

Stoics! You need a good proofreader, corrector.

Such a good game deserves good translation!

А пока это напоминает известный скетч: http://youtu.be/7BAd6t9gBKc
And original: http://youtu.be/2YYM209GJoE

mono
05-27-2014, 05:22 AM
Да, качество перевода очень низкое. Жаль.
Sadly, current Russian version has a very poor quality.

Aleonymous
05-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Some notes about the French version, although many of them might apply for all five languages:

1. Scaling of text-fonts for specific entries within the same menu/object. For instance, in the starting menu the "Chargement de la partie", or in the caravan population HUD the "Membres du clan", is visibly smaller. I can understand how this is necessary, but in some cases a better choice of words/translation could alleviate this "problem" (quote marks as it's not really a problem, just a necessary measure).

2. I confirm Stobinator's remark about awkwardly placed line-breaks on item tool-tip descriptions, for the french translation too. I don't have any screenshots though. Is the text wrapped automatically, or are the breaks are manually placed? I haven't spotted any such problems in dialogue or pop-up texts.

3. The in-battle banners "+1 Renomee" (Renown) and "Ameliorer" (Promotion) are not properly wrapped, i.e. they extend a bit to the right of the background-banner. Maybe that text should also be shrinked to fit?

4. The title "Terrain d'entrainement" (Proving grounds) seems to have invaded the "Heroes" and "Assemble your Heroes" menus. When the language is switched (in-game) to English and then back to French, it then appears correctly. However, it is slightly clipped on top (bad vertical alignment?). Note that I only change language in-game, not from Steam Properties. Also when/if this "Terrain d'entrainement" reaches Factions localization, it is partially covered by the Renown-banner (top right), so it will probably have to be shrinked too.

5. Hero injuries (e.g. "Injured!" and "2 Days", on the hero portrait, in the "Heroes" menu) are still in English.

6. Loading save games: The title/caption/description of the saved games do not wrap well in the left-side of the menu. Sometimes there's awkward line-breaks and spaces, other times the title extends to the right and falls on the screenshot of the save-game.

7. This could be a problem of my system, but the letters bearing french accents do no show up correctly in the subtitles of the voice-over parts (e.g. in introduction videos, or when entering a new location in close-caravan-view). In all other parts of the game, they show up correctly. This might not be a problem with players whose PCs/OSs are set in that language, or happen to be using the correct font encoding.

8. [Linguistic] The translation of some terms does not sound very well to me. Please note that I am not a native French speaker, but some things do strike as weird. For instance: The word used for Exertion ("Fatigue") has a negative connotation; maybe "Effort"? Also, the word for Promotion ("Ameliorer") is literally translated as "improve", whereas the original word ("Promotion") serves just as well in French!

9. [Linguistic] I can confirm Stobinator's (German) and Visorium's/mono's/Zogg's (Russian) remark that many parts of the script seem to have been translated sentence-for-sentence (or worse, word-for-word) which makes them sound "off" in a more general context... As this probably extends to the whole game, and for all five languages, I am not sure how much can be done. What I mean to say is that there's a LOT of room for improvement, via copy-editing & proofreading.

10. [Confirm Corrections] (a) H&M now stay dead, if you lose the fight helping them. (b) All hero-injuries are removed before Bellower fight.

11. [Known Issue?] STR-attacks never miss/deflect! Enemies consistently attack strength dealing 1STR damage; poor Iver@14ARM was owned by a swarm of <4STR grunts and was taken down after 3 rounds :) Is that some test-change you made for this build? I am sure it relates to the "hit-chance-not-showing" that you mentioned in the Known Issues, but it makes battles a bit harder to win :)

Stobinator
05-27-2014, 08:02 AM
@Aleonymous:

1. In general the system of shrinking text to fit is really helpful for localization, but I agree with you. When the difference in font size gets too huge, it just doesn't look very aesthetic and the translation should probably be shortened.

7. Was fine for German umlauts. I don't think this is related to the system's font setting, though. The font file delivered with the game contains the necessary characters and should display correctly regardless of system settings. Maybe a screenshot would help?

Aleonymous
05-27-2014, 08:21 AM
One other thing that I recalled:

12. In the Marketplace, when buying supplies, the text "1 point de Renomee apporte:" was also badly wrapped in its allocated space (too long) and it covered the value of that field.

7. Was fine for German umlauts. I don't think this is related to the system's font setting, though. The font file delivered with the game contains the necessary characters and should display correctly regardless of system settings. Maybe a screenshot would help?

I'll try to get that when I get home. What I remember clearly, is that the preposition "à" looked something like "ŕ", and the accent circuflex (as in "être", the verb "to be") was equally strangely treated, maybe with an irrelevant letter with a cedille (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedilla) under it...

Zogg
05-27-2014, 10:16 AM
No need to hurry with release of russian translate like this. Russian fans of TBS did own translate and it is nothing to compare with this beta.
Most russians who wanted TBS in native language loaded fan made translate. 4324 downloads.

http://www.zoneofgames.ru/games/banner_saga_the/files/5109.html

The Banner Saga deserves more, now i read dialoges like absurd comedy. alas! =\

John
05-27-2014, 10:38 AM
All great feedback folks! I am working on the technical issues right now, and speaking to our translators about the linguistic issues you've brought up. We'll keep you updated with our progress. In the meantime, please keep letting us know about any problems you find.

gripho
05-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I just downloaded the French version, I have not launched it yet but I checked the trophies and have some remarks:

Maître Tacticien (Master Tactician) : the text reads "Remportez une bataille en mode difficile dans la Tente d'Entraînement du camp en utilisant 5 unités de niveau 6.", whereas it should be "6 unités de niveau 5".

Some unit names are not sounding very well in French, or mistranslated.

Backbtiter is translated as "Diffamateur" which means slanderer... I would have used instead the French word "Fourbe" which means cunning/deceitful, perhaps in combination with another word, like "Pillard fourbe" or "Epéiste Fourbe".

Grudgewielder is tranlated as "Rancunier" (rancune in French means Grudge). I would have been more litteral and translated it as "Porte-Rancune" which imho sounds better.

Mender is translated as "Magnien", which does not mean anything in French (it's just a surname). My suggestion would have been "Raccommodeur" ou "Repriseur" (from the synonymous french verbs raccommoder and repriser which both mean to mend)

Eagle Eye is translated as "Œil de Lynx", which isn't bad but it's unfortunate that there isn't any lynx in Banner Saga, when there are plenty of eagles ;)

Lancemaster is translated as "Maître Lancier". I agree for once.

Warden is translated as "Gardien". No problem with this one either. Same for Hunter translated as "Chasseur".

Warleader is translated as "Chef Guerrier". The use of adjective "Guerrier" doesn't sound very well, litteral translation "Chef de guerre" would have been better here.

Warmaster is translated as "Maître Guerrier", same as above I would have preferred "Maître de guerre" instead.

Warhawk is translated as "Rapace" (which means either avid, ravenous or bird of prey in French). To evoke the might of the Warhawk and to go well with his Tempest ability, I would have taken some liberty and used the expression "Foudre de guerre" which has the advantage of keeping consistency in the warrior class naming (with the "de guerre" qualifier)

I don't see any better option for the Provoker translated as "Provocateur", it fits quite well.

Shieldmaster is translated as "Maître Protecteur" (master protector), ok too.

Champion is translated as "Colosse" (colossus). It's not bad but why not keep "Champion" which have the same meaning in French?

Skystriker is translated as "Guerrier du ciel" (sky warrior). This one is difficult, the current translation doesn't feel right at all but I don't have any good proposition, perhaps "Décoche au ciel" - i.e. "shoots (an arrow) to the sky".

Translations "Archer de Siège" for Siege Archer and "Maître Archer" for Bowmaster are correct, I'm just wondering if they shouldn't be written au féminin "Archère de Siège" and "Maître Archère" as there are only archer women in TBS... ?

Trasher translation to "Massacreur" is quite good.

Finally, Raidmaster is tranlated as "Maître Assaillant" (master assailant). It's not bad, but I would have chosen "Maître Pillard" (master raider) instead.

Aleonymous
05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
I just downloaded the French version, I have not launched it yet but I checked the trophies and have some remarks

Phew, thank god a native french speaker showed up; it would have been too few with only my poor contributions :o

I like the unit names translations you propose. I hope you come up with better translations for some of the rest of the terms used in-battle and elsewhere. That "Oeil de Lynx" confused me too; isn't there a "Oeil de <nom d'oiseau>" expression in french? The Skystriker's translation felt bad; I'd go for something really simple like "Archer du Ciel" or "Fleche Celeste" or something. Also, I'd avoid two/three-word names, but sometimes it's not easy. In this context, "Colosse" is for the Strongarm unit (not Champion), which is quite OK, imo.

John
05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
@Stobinator: Interestingly, the font you see in the middle ("Beförderung!...") is in the wrong font. It looks like it all in Arial, but it should be in Minion Pro, and the name in the middle should be in Vinque. I'm going to try to address this in the next build, so please keep your eyes open. You should only ever see 2 fonts in the game (Minion Pro and Vinque). You should only see Arial if you are playing in Russian, and then only replacing Vinque.

JW

Teomus
05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Dear John,

I became very sad because with the new patch my 100% complete fanmade hungarian localization became totally useless. :(
Sadly every json.z file's structure changed. Is there any easy way to "convert" the "old" translated json.z files into the new ones (at least the conversation files)?
It'd be a horrible long work with the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V solution with the 6-7.000 lines and hundreds of files.
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Teomus,
hungarian hobby translater

John
05-27-2014, 02:32 PM
I assume that you are referring to the cnv_*.json.z files that house the conversations. For this patch we have changed the way that conversations are loaded and localized. The cnv_*.json.z files from before still exist, but they are the english master copies. Additionally there is now a new strings file per conversation. These string files are located in:

saga1/locale/LOCALE/convo/

And from that point follow the same subdirectory structure as the conversations themselves. If you look at one of them as an example, the format is very simple, it is simply a conversation key/value replacement. The conversation options are handled as an array of options. For instance, saga1/locale/en/convo/part1/cnv_ally_egil.json:

{
"convoUrl": "http://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/25rn",
"options": {
"skipMarkrookMark": [
"{skip}"
],
"youThinkAboutWha": [
"I've never seen a shield like that before",
"Iver seems to think you're pretty good",
"You're protective of Alette, huh?",
"I'm heading back to camp. Stay strong."
]
},
"stitches": {
"egilBetweenYouAn": "[egil] Between you and Iver, we're going to be ok, I can tell.",
"egilButIfYouWant": "[egil] But if you want, just call me Gil.",
"egilButIveBeenPr": "[egil] But I've been practicing with it since I was a kid.",
"egilDidHeSayThat": "[egil] Did he say that?",
"egilIDontHaveMuc": "[egil] I don't have much else to do, and how many people get to train with a varl?",
"egilIUsedToSpend": "[egil] I used to spend a lot of time just getting used to lifting it.",
"egilIWantedToLet": "[egil] I wanted to let you know that I meant what I said before. About making sure nothing happens to Alette.",
"egilIWill": "[egil] I will.",
"egilImPrettyGood": "[egil] I'm pretty good with it now.",
"egilItsRookRight": "[egil] It's Rook, right? I know we haven't... talked much. Before now.",
"egilItsTheOnlyTh": "[egil] It's the only thing of my father's I have left. Then when my mother died... she gave it to me, before she died.",
"egilJustSeemsLik": "[egil] Just seems like... I could be a help to someone.",
"egilMyArmsFineIt": "[egil] My arm's fine. It's a strong shield.",
"egilOhAndIfYouNe": "[egil] Oh, and if you need something, let me know. I can do anything you need.",
"egilOhYeahImGrea": "[egil] Oh. Yeah, I'm great. Er, not great, considering everything that's... I'm fine.",
"egilRookIKnowIDi": "[egil rook] I know, I didn't mean...",
"egilThatsGoodImT": "[egil] That's good. I'm trying. Never had to fight anything like dredge before, but..",
"egilThatsWhatIWa": "[egil] That's what I want to be.",
"egilWellShesIDon": "[egil] Well, she's... I don't want her to get hurt.",
"egilYeahIDoubtTh": "[egil] Yeah, I doubt there's many. My father made this. It's solid metal, really heavy.",
"heRaisesItUpToSh": "/=He raises it up to show you.=/",
"rookDontWorryShe": "[rook] Don't worry, she can take care of herself, too.",
"rookEasyGilIKnow": "[rook] Easy, Gil. I know what you meant.",
"rookEgilOkGil": "[rook egil] Ok, Gil.",
"rookHowsTheArmEg": "[rook] How's the arm, Egil?",
"rookISawYouTakin": "[rook] I saw you taking some hard hits out there.",
"skipMarkrookMark": "{skip} mark1=rook mark2=egil",
"youCanSeeHisChee": "/=You can see his cheeks turn bright red.=/",
"youFindEgilJustO": "/=You find Egil just outside the camp, practicing his sword swings.=/",
"youThinkAboutWha": "/=You think about what to say.=/"
},
"urlKey": "25rn"
}

The format of the actual conversation files should not have changed at all. If you unzip your changes back on top of the conversation files, and set your in-game language to 'english', you should still see the translations. I don't think that the conversations load the 'en' string files, but I could be mistaken. I'll check on that now. If, not I have a tool in the Zeno editor that allows me to generate string files from the conversation files. We can use that to convert your translations into the loadable string files.

Dear John,

I became very sad because with the new patch my 100% complete fanmade hungarian localization became totally useless. :(
Sadly every json.z file's structure changed. Is there any easy way to "convert" the "old" translated json.z files into the new ones (at least the conversation files)?
It'd be a horrible long work with the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V solution with the 6-7.000 lines and hundreds of files.
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Teomus,
hungarian hobby translater

RoyalFKR
05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
i took a look at the portuguese translation and there are some mistakes, it is still understandable, but far from the correct portuguese. There is another major problem, the word "Shieldbanger" is translated as "Escudo" and "Escudo" actually means "Shield", Shieldbanger should be "Destruidor de Escudo"(like "Shield braker") or "Escudeiro"(like "protector" or "defender") depending on how you want people to see the class, so far that is what i have to say... i'm still playing the BETA and will report you if found another big problem like this.
Thanks stoic for being worried about the translations.
RoyalFKR

RoyalFKR
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Ah, there is some missing words in some dialogs too, i'm really sorry i don't have enough time to look at this with more patience, i really love the game and was waiting long for the translation. i wish i could help a lot more but got a lot of other stuff to do.
Stoic, please keep going with this game and trying to get better.

RoyalFKR

Aleonymous
05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
OK, here's some problems with the French translation, as captured in images. I think those problems will occur in most other languages

[Font/Text] Marketplace: Text overflow
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00001.jpg

[Font/Text] Assemble Your Heroes: Badly titled as "Proving Grounds" (and overlaps with Renown banner)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00002.jpg

[Font/Text] Bad Text Wrap
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00004.jpg

[Font/Text] Bad Text Wrap
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00005.jpg

[Font/Text] Font-scale inconsistency: Here we got three different sizes. Its too much. All words should be of same/similar length, at least.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00006.jpg

[Font/Text] Load Game: Missing month name. I guess it tries to retrieve it from my local-settings (Greek OS), and fails...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00007.jpg

[Font/Text] Load Game: Save-game caption overflows onto the location snapshot (and missing month, too)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00008.jpg

[Font/Text] Font Encoding: Some characters are wrongly displayed. This problem only happens in those VO captions.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00009.jpg

[Linguistic/French]: Exertion is poorly translated to "Fatigue". I propose "effort" or "excès".
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00003.jpg

Some more stuff:

1. [Linguistic/French] Warden's ability ("Rally") is translated as "rassemblement". The correct term is "ralliement".
2. [Linguistic/French] I noticed that there's a lot of "formal plural" used... I can't express how weird it sounds when Hakon tells Ludin --politely-- to F*** Off! :D
3. [Confirmed Corrections] Bellower stats are lower in 2nd phase, for Normal & Easy, and his bodyguards are lower-tier. I haven't checked if all silver-arrow bugs were fixed. Does it require WP to use the arrow, now?
4. [Lingering old bug] After Rook's fall, and just before ending sequence, hooded-Alette's description in hero-tent is (still) broken/void.
5. [Suggestion] You could use an indicator when the game is autosaving/overwriting, in a checkpoint slot and in the "active" slot. I am imagining your rotating triskelion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskelion)-device, along with the words "Saving..."

John
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
@Aleo: The missing months thing has something to do with your system settings. Can you tell me how you have your system localization settings configured. Also, would you please send me your game log file so I can take a look there as well?

John
05-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Update: 2.5.55

Changes:

NOTE: Fix invalid italic mark =/ in german vedrfell convo: '=/Die Geräusche sind leise. ...'
NOTE: Fix issues with Match Resolution 'Promotion' text getting cut off
NOTE: Fix issue with bad line breaks in Heroes Details for german
NOTE: Fix issue where 'Day' was not translated in the Save Profile selection screen
NOTE: TBS-989 Pressing Esc while information is up on Heroes screen will exit fullscreen
NOTE: Expand the available/cost fields in the marketplace screen
NOTE: Improve fit of French +Renown and Promote! banners

Aleonymous
05-28-2014, 02:21 AM
@Aleo: The missing months thing has something to do with your system settings. Can you tell me how you have your system localization settings configured. Also, would you please send me your game log file so I can take a look there as well?

Indeed. I changed my Win7 regional-settings (namely the date format) from Greek to English/US, and everything showed up fine. I remember this issue on the previous builds too. I personally don't really mind that, but it might be happening for all non-English-OS players; so, if it's something simple to set right... I've emailed you my log-files.

Changes:
NOTE: Fix issue where 'Day' was not translated in the Save Profile selection screen
NOTE: Expand the available/cost fields in the marketplace screen
NOTE: Improve fit of French +Renown and Promote! banners

Correction confirmed (for French at least; I didn't bother to check the other languages :o)
You changed something here? It looks kinda better, but still not quite well (for French)...

Aleonymous
05-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Here's some more stuff about the French translation (hopefully the last; I'd appreciate a cross-check with a french speaker, e.g. gripho)

1. [Bad Text Wrap][Translation Consistency] (help of "Heroes" menu)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-28_00001.jpg

2. [Bad Text Wrap] (help of "Heroes\Character" menu)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-28_00002.jpg

3. [Linguistic/Stylistic]: HUD looks bad. Instead of the long "membres du clan" we could have a simple "paysans" (peasants); Instead of "combattants" (which is internally used to denote the sum fighters+varl, for War purposes), how about the term "guerriers" (warriros)? Finally, Varl starts with a lowercase letter, which is inconsistent with the rest of the entries.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-28_00003.jpg

4. [Text Wrap]: Most of the Battle-UI hover-tooltip/descriptions that have been auto-shrinked are badly wrapped. Instead of Middle/center they show Top/Left. That counts for the tooltips for {Move (action button), Rest (action button), Active-ability/Rank (stat), Break (stat)}.

5. [Linguistic/Term translation]: Kindle has been translated as "Incendie", that means fire... In my understanding, your choice of "Kindle" for the Stoneguard ability doesnt refer to the action of starting a fire, but, to the action of chopping down a large block of wood into smaller pieces, to be used as "firelighter" (material that catches fire easily).

6. [Possible Bug]: I am not sure about this existing on previous builds but here goes -- Is the "bleed" debuff applied to an "impaled" enemy only when there is room for him/her to be moved-back by the kick?

gripho
05-29-2014, 11:37 AM
There are quite a lot of text wrapping issues overall.

1. [Bad Text Wrap][Translation Consistency] (help of "Heroes" menu)

"Equipe" (team) is a correct translation for Party in this context, "Escouade" (squad) may be fine as an alternate translation to make a better distinction between the party and the full roster.

"Remplaçants" (replacements) may be too sport-connoted for the roster tranlation, "Troupe" (troop, band) may be better.

"Améliorer" (improve) might be replaced by "Promouvoir" (promote) or "Promotion" (promotion).

On the promotion screen, "Obtenir des statistiques plus" is not even a complete setence in French... It should read "Augmenter les statistiques" instead.
"Augmenter le rang de l'objet" is a litteral translation but leads people to believe the rank of the item the unit is wearing will be increased during promotion, improving the item. I would have put instead "Porter des objets plus puissants" (wear more powerful items). In the confirmation screen, "X de Renommée" (X Renown) should be replaced by "X points de Renommée" ("points" cannot be implied here in French, contrary to English). BTW, globally "Renommée" may be replaced by "Renom" which is a quasi-identical synonym in French (both are being translated by Renown in English, the only distinction is that "Renommée" shoud only apply to living things, whereas "Renom" can also apply to inanimate objects), and being shorted will cause less text wrapping issues.

In proper French, the unit class should also be placed before the rank: "Maître Lancier rang 2" instead of "Rang 1 Maître Lancier" for example.

There's also a problem with the names on the town/camping screens, as they are (with good cause as they are actually images) not translated in the screen, but translated in the texts that mention them (tutorials, etc.)...

3. [Linguistic/Stylistic]: HUD looks bad. Instead of the long "membres du clan" we could have a simple "paysans" (peasants); Instead of "combattants" (which is internally used to denote the sum fighters+varl, for War purposes), how about the term "guerriers" (warriros)? Finally, Varl starts with a lowercase letter, which is inconsistent with the rest of the entries.

I agree with Aleonymous proposed alternate translations "Paysans" and "Guerriers".

Aleonymous
05-29-2014, 11:52 AM
French translation

Thanks for the thorough feedback, gripho!

I was thinking that the battle-summary fields could also be better translated and thus "text-length-homogenized":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-27_00006.jpg

1. "Meurtres", thats fine even though its more akin to murder rather than defeat... Perhaps "Ennemis Vaincus" (enemies defeated)?
2. "Victoire" would serve just as well.
3. "Paysans tués" (clansmen killed)
4. "Guerriers tués" (fighters killed)
5. "Varl tués" (varl killed)
6. "Héros Blessés" (injured hereos)

Stobinator
05-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi John,
today I had another chance to have a quick look at the German localization. First of all I have revised some of your fixes.

Changes:

NOTE: Fix invalid italic mark =/ in german vedrfell convo: '=/Die Geräusche sind leise. ...' - Didn't get around to revise this one
NOTE: Fix issue with bad line breaks in Heroes Details for german - Verified fixed

NOTE: Fix issue where 'Day' was not translated in the Save Profile selection screen - Verified fixed in German

Unfortunately I have found a few more issues, not to mention a good deal of linguistic issues, such as serious mistranslations and typos.

1. Text overflow when hovering over an injured hero on the hero screen:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/6.png
- This could well be fixed by removing the line break after the first sentence.
SIDE NOTE: Not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but the dots of the German umlaut Ü are slightly cut off at the top of the screen. Not really a big deal though.

2. German text is cut off when adding an item to a hero:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/7.png
- The German word "Gegenstände" is cut off quite a bit.

3. Some more bad line wrapping in the promotion confirmation modal:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/8.png

4. Overlapping text for long character names on the conversation screens:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/9-1.png

and
http://kevstober.de/hosting/9-2.png

5. Untranslated line of dialogue right before the fight that follows after first meeting Hogun and Mogun:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/10.png
- The rest of the conversation was in German.

6. Very small and barely readable text in the ability description boxes when text is fairly long:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/11-1.png
- Could these be wrapped? It looks like there would be enough space. If not the text should be shortened.

and there is an issue with the variables in the German string of the siege archer's ability description:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/11-2.png

7. German text is overlapped by skull icons on the war summary screen:
http://kevstober.de/hosting/12.png
- The German words "Getötete Gegner" are slightly overlapped by the skull icons, when killing a lot of enemies during the battle.

8. German heading of the war summary screen is cut off when losing the fight
- Didn't manage to grab a screenshot, but on the first screen of the war summary (or battle summary) the German word "Niederlage" ('Defeat') is only half way visible.

gripho
05-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Note: the Exertion translation by "Fatigue" makes me cringe as well. "Effort" would be much more in line with the actual meaning.

gripho
05-29-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm at chapter 3 now. All in all, there are only a few big actual misinterpretation in the translation, but any French native speaker will have the feeling that parts were translated almost word for word, and seem off or don't sound very good in French (or in some cases aren't proper French). Context is often not taken into account.

What would be the best way to retrieve the English script to compare? Lots of time I find a sentence that doesn't feel right, but I don't have the original to compare it to.

gripho
05-29-2014, 04:26 PM
French translation

Thanks for the thorough feedback, gripho!

I was thinking that the battle-summary fields could also be better translated and thus "text-length-homogenized":

1. "Meurtres", thats fine even though its more akin to murder rather than defeat... Perhaps "Ennemis Vaincus" (enemies defeated)?
2. "Victoire" would serve just as well.
3. "Paysans tués" (clansmen killed)
4. "Guerriers tués" (fighters killed)
5. "Varl tués" (varl killed)
6. "Héros Blessés" (injured hereos)

I think "Ennemis Vaincus" is better than "Meurtres", but is perhaps to long. In my opinion, "A vaincu" (has defeated) followed by the number of skulls would convey the meaning well enough while staying quite short.

I agree for "Victoire" instead of "Bonus de victoire". I might maybe keep "perdus" instead of "tués" to convey precisely the meaning that these are people that were killed by the ennemy, but in shorter form like you did: "Paysans perdus", "Guerriers perdus" and "Varl perdus".

And definitely, "Héros blessés" would be preferable to just "Blessures".

Aleonymous
05-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Some of Stobinator's observations also count for the French translation:

1. "Heroes" (and "Assemble your Heroes") screen is wrongly titled as "Proving Grounds". Also, that title is clipped on the top. As I said, toggling language to English and back, corrects both title & clipping.
1. "Injured!" and "Days" are not translated.
4. In conversations, sometimes the speaker-name (in the blue banner, bottom left) overlaps with the small-speaker-portrait.
6. The ability description fonts are too little. I don't really mind that though, on a big-monitor PC cuz I prefer an accurate description.

And, here's some more "fresh" notes:

a. [Text Wrapping]: Text overflows from banner, in the bottom. This is the pop-up for the random event triggered by low-morale, where Varl are telling fame-and-glory stories while drinking.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-05-29_00001.jpg

b. [Translation Missing]: All in-battle fly-text (Resist, Deflect, Dodge, Critical etc) is still in English.

c. [Possible Bug?]: I won the first phase of a War, decided not to take up a second phase, and I was granted an item. I thought those were given only when you won both "dredge waves" in Wars...

d. [Dialogue Markup Error]: In the convo between Rook/Alette/Eyvind/Jorundr in the beginning of Chapter 5, a markup remained in the text (the mark "[rook]" denoting that camera looks on Rook; didn't take a snapshot, sorry!)

e. [Translation Errors]: Sometimes the dialogue lines of a character start with a lowercase letter. I noted that 4-5 times when the sentence started with the word "Ça" (This).

Aleonymous
05-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Another localization problem for the French version:

The unit-name banner (@bottom-left corner, between unit-stats [left UI panel] & turn-queue [bottom UI panel]) for some enemies is too short, with the unit-name being truncated, i.e. it does not bleed to the right of the banner. I noticed that for the Dredge Slag Slingers, whose French name is too long and I can't remember it now :o

Stobinator
06-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Another localization problem for the French version:

The unit-name banner (@bottom-left corner, between unit-stats [left UI panel] & turn-queue [bottom UI panel]) for some enemies is too short, with the unit-name being truncated, i.e. it does not bleed to the right of the banner. I noticed that for the Dredge Slag Slingers, whose French name is too long and I can't remember it now :o

I noticed that one in German, too. To me it looks like long unit names break onto two lines and the second line is not displayed. Screenshot below, the German word for 'Dredge Slag Slinger' is "Wüter-Schlackeschleuderer".

http://kevstober.de/hosting/13.png

Aleonymous
06-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Some item explanations, namely the "Knockback-at-X-Strength" ones, are wrongly translated in French.

Bjorulf's Blessing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-06-01_00001.jpg

Obsidian Powder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBS1_Localization_Beta/2014-06-01_00002.jpg

(this probably happens also for the "Studded Pommel" item, but I haven't seen it)

The text translates to: "Attacks of Strength X are avoided (évitées)". Probably the translator misunderstood what knockback meant. I'd propose something like "Attaques de Force de X pousse cible 4 carreaux".

Talking about item-property translations, I love how the French did the "AGGRO" (aggression modifier, that makes a unit more likely to be attacked by enemies): "Chercher la bagarre" which literally means "searching for trouble/fight" :D

John
06-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Build 2.6.10

The Localization Beta has been updated with the addition of Español, as well as a few bug fixes.

NOTE: Fix overlapping/cutoff title text in Heroes/Assemble Heroes screens
NOTE: Fix corrupted text in french VO subtitles
NOTE: Localize 'Skipping Turn' and Bellowers 'Stunned - Skipping Turn' flytext
NOTE: Heraldry: Fix label layout for long text on KS thanks and search fields
NOTE: convert both intro videos to 720p 24fps FLV
NOTE: Fix german battle tooltip layout
NOTE: prevent AIs from mistakenly attempting to use willpower on actions/attacks that they already spent on movement

The translation team is working on consolidating your feedback so far. We will update the game with a revision in the near future.

Thanks everybody, and keep on testing! Steam Client usually takes up to 30 minutes to update, so if you aren't seeing the new build, try restarting the Steam Client.

JW

Black1ce
06-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Hi!

I've only registered to this forum to report a bug that made me laugh quite a bit :D.
Since I'm not allowed to create a new thread and because I'm playing the Localization Beta I'll just report it here.

It happened only after a download of an update of 230.6MB which was today, so I think I have the newest Build.

[STORY SPOILER WARNING]

http://imgur.com/fGSLMmi,a2yVnYx#0

thanks for reading.

Black1ce

Aleonymous
06-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Build 2.6.10
NOTE: prevent AIs from mistakenly attempting to use willpower on actions/attacks that they already spent on movement

I never noticed that bug... You mean that AI-controlled units had access to more willpower than they were supposed to? Or, that they *thought* they had more WP, which screwed-up their decision/move-making?

Speaking of AI bugs: Have you cornered the "enemy-in-range-but-does-not-attack" or the "friendly-fire-Kindle" ones?

[STORY SPOILER WARNING]

I saw that too. I thought it might be just my case, and I didn't have time to relaunch steam & game to double-check. But, it seem that is a bug and a funny one at that! :D

John
06-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Heheh, that is a funny one. I know exactly why it is happening as well. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll have a fix in the next build.

Hi!

I've only registered to this forum to report a bug that made me laugh quite a bit :D.
Since I'm not allowed to create a new thread and because I'm playing the Localization Beta I'll just report it here.

It happened only after a download of an update of 230.6MB which was today, so I think I have the newest Build.

[STORY SPOILER WARNING]

thanks for reading.

Black1ce

John
06-04-2014, 11:37 AM
In most cases, you should be able to hit ESCAPE and use the Options menu to switch the language back to English to see the original text.

I'm at chapter 3 now. All in all, there are only a few big actual misinterpretation in the translation, but any French native speaker will have the feeling that parts were translated almost word for word, and seem off or don't sound very good in French (or in some cases aren't proper French). Context is often not taken into account.

What would be the best way to retrieve the English script to compare? Lots of time I find a sentence that doesn't feel right, but I don't have the original to compare it to.

Aleonymous
06-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Just finished my French-localized play-through. As great as ever :)

I want to bring up only a minor balancing-issue: The set of three vs-Dredge battles at the start of Chapter 4 (if you choose to stay outside Frostvellr) are quite difficult, especially the last/third one where: (1) Iver can't help, (2) you might have some heroes injured. I played on Normal, and while I beat the first two battles (hard ones, but I made them with no KOs) I actually lost the third one using [Gil, Rook, Alette, Odd]; I didn't take H&M and had no Tryggvi. My four heroes were at rank-3, nicely statted, but it didn't help against the swarm of Slingers and the pair of Grunts/Stoneguards that also spawn in that fight. You might wanna pitch down that difficulty. Calabilla (http://bannersaga.gamepedia.com/Calabilla), the item you find by winning all three fights, should be more accessible! :)

John -- Is the Zeno tool bundled with this beta-localization build functional? I think I provide the correct paths, but it doesn't seem able to "load" the game's content, in order for its other modules to process the data. Also, could you elaborate a bit on what the "Manifests" are, where can they be found, how can they be created etc? I guess it's something like builds (or components of builds), so that if we create a mod it will be "wrapped/packaged" in one of those manifests (to share with other users)?

John
06-04-2014, 04:31 PM
The Zeno tool in the build is missing a few key pieces of data to make it usable. I am currently working on the 'Decompiler' aspect of it to make it functional for everyone.

JW

Just finished my French-localized play-through. As great as ever :)

I want to bring up only a minor balancing-issue: The set of three vs-Dredge battles at the start of Chapter 4 (if you choose to stay outside Frostvellr) are quite difficult, especially the last/third one where: (1) Iver can't help, (2) you might have some heroes injured. I played on Normal, and while I beat the first two battles (hard ones, but I made them with no KOs) I actually lost the third one using [Gil, Rook, Alette, Odd]; I didn't take H&M and had no Tryggvi. My four heroes were at rank-3, nicely statted, but it didn't help against the swarm of Slingers and the pair of Grunts/Stoneguards that also spawn in that fight. You might wanna pitch down that difficulty. Calabilla (http://bannersaga.gamepedia.com/Calabilla), the item you find by winning all three fights, should be more accessible! :)

John -- Is the Zeno tool bundled with this beta-localization build functional? I think I provide the correct paths, but it doesn't seem able to "load" the game's content, in order for its other modules to process the data. Also, could you elaborate a bit on what the "Manifests" are, where can they be found, how can they be created etc? I guess it's something like builds (or components of builds), so that if we create a mod it will be "wrapped/packaged" in one of those manifests (to share with other users)?

gripho
06-08-2014, 06:09 PM
One example of mistranslation at the beginning of chapter 4.

In English, Onef says "If the dredge found live bodies he thought they'd live the city alone", which has been translated in French by "Si le dredge trouve des survivants, il pensera que la ville n'a pas été touchée" (that doesn't make sense...). The translator wrongly assumed that "he" was referring to a single dredge, instead of Ekkill...

A proper translation should have been (talking about Ekkill) "Il pensait que si les dredge trouvaient des survivants ils laisseraient la ville tranquille".

gripho
06-08-2014, 06:12 PM
One example of mistranslation at the beginning of chapter 4.

In English, Onef says "If the dredge found live bodies he thought they'd live the city alone", which has been translated in French by "Si le dredge trouve des survivants, il pensera que la ville n'a pas été touchée" (that doesn't make sense...). The translator wrongly assumed that "he" was referring to a single dredge, instead of Ekkill...

A proper translation should have been (talking about Ekkill) "Il pensait que si les dredge trouvaient des survivants ils laisseraient la ville tranquille".

Following setence "That's the worst thing" should either have also been translated litterally "C'est... la pire chose..." instead of "C'est... le pire...", or else "C'est... horrible..." (that's... terrible...)

Fazolt
06-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Well. Enough said. Pretty sure this is a glitch XD.
http://postimg.org/image/9iaqrjmm3/4f82da41/
I'm using a late 2013 Mac Book Pro.

NOTE: For some reason the image is showing up as a question mark, right click on it and open it in a new tab to view it.

Fazolt
06-11-2014, 10:58 AM
I found another bug, involving Rook's caravan. His caravan at the beginning (Just after leaving Skogr) is full of Varl! This makes no sense as he has not yet had any Varl join him (except Iver of course), this "bug" wasn't present before updating to the beta.

John
06-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Odd, this was supposed to be fixed over a week ago. I will investigate.

I found another bug, involving Rook's caravan. His caravan at the beginning (Just after leaving Skogr) is full of Varl! This makes no sense as he has not yet had any Varl join him (except Iver of course), this "bug" wasn't present before updating to the beta.

John
06-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Build 2.6.23

NOTE: UPDATED LINGUISTIC REVISIONS/EDITS TO Español, Français, Deutsch, Polski, and Português. Русский revisions are coming soon.
NOTE: Fix overlapping/cutoff title text in Heroes/Assemble Heroes screens
NOTE: Fix corrupted text in french VO subtitles
NOTE: Localize 'Skipping Turn' and Bellowers 'Stunned - Skipping Turn' flytext
NOTE: Heraldry: Fix label layout for long text on KS thanks and search fields
NOTE: convert both intro videos to 720p 24fps FLV
NOTE: Fix german battle tooltip layout
NOTE: Fix Heroes injury tooltip incorrect wrapping
NOTE: Fix Heroes details Items label getting cut off
NOTE: Fix handling of cutoff long names in the battle initiative active unit name flag
NOTE: localize flytext for CRIT/DODGE/RESIST/DEFLECT/PROTECTED into English
NOTE: localize skip video confirmation dialog
NOTE: add Google Analytics for bellower fight start/arrow/victory/defeat
NOTE: add Google Analytics for language selection
NOTE: Make sure Video subtitles pause along with the video during tutorial intros
NOTE: Zeno now has modding capabilities
NOTE: Bug-eyed characters in conversations are fixed.

Aleonymous
06-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Build 2.6.23

1. NOTE: UPDATED LINGUISTIC REVISIONS/EDITS TO Español, Français, Deutsch, Polski, and Português. Русский revisions are coming soon.
2. NOTE: add Google Analytics for bellower fight start/arrow/victory/defeat
3. NOTE: Zeno now has modding capabilities

1. I am curious to see the range/depth that revisions have undergone.
2. What's that? Some way to tell how many people have reached those stages of the game? Can we (players) access that, or is it just for you guys?
3. Yay! :)

John
06-11-2014, 02:30 PM
#2 is just for us to make sure the final battle is balanced correctly.

1. I am curious to see the range/depth that revisions have undergone.
2. What's that? Some way to tell how many people have reached those stages of the game? Can we (players) access that, or is it just for you guys?
3. Yay! :)

Stobinator
06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Hi John, just had a first glance at the new update and noticed two issues:
1. The flytext in German was showing the string ID. Is that to be expected as long as there are no translations present, or should the English be displayed in that case?
2. I am now unable to change the language in-game. When selecting a language from the menu the UI does reflect the change but upon leaving the menu the language remains the same.

John
06-11-2014, 04:52 PM
The flytext is a known issue and should be fixed tomorrow.

I will fix the language changing issue ASAP!

Hi John, just had a first glance at the new update and noticed two issues:
1. The flytext in German was showing the string ID. Is that to be expected as long as there are no translations present, or should the English be displayed in that case?
2. I am now unable to change the language in-game. When selecting a language from the menu the UI does reflect the change but upon leaving the menu the language remains the same.

John
06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Updated to 2.6.25

NOTE: Fix bug-eyes on Alette, Hooded Alette, and Egil
NOTE: Fix issue with language not changing properly from menu
NOTE: Fix issue with Portuguese language not activating

Aleonymous
06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Some quick notes on French translation:

1. French translation for knockback items is still wrong. It translates to "Strength attacks knock-back X tiles" instead of "Strength damage of X knocks-back". The knock-back distance is fixed to (up to) 4 tiles, and its the STR damage that changes.
2. French translation for Sundering Impact is wrong. It translates to "Fragmented Impact"... Maybe "Impact Destructive" would sound better?
3. French translation for items with a "per kill" bonus sounds weird. I'd go for "+X Volonte par meurtre" instead of "+X Volonte de tuer".
4. I noted very few linguistic changes in the French version, for terms & other GUI elements that we proposed. Actually, only Fatigue->Efforts (for Exertion) fell to my attention so far...

Some other generic notes:

a. Eyvind still has bug-eyes
b. Slag and Burn description (in Heroes menu) is wrong. It doesn't mention the 2ARM damage on tile-AoE (splash-damage) and it says +0Break on target-unit for all ranks which is wrong (its +0/1/2 Break). Description is wrong on English too
c. Portraits in Heroes menu load much more slowly; it sometimes takes up to a whole second for them to load.
d. There is no "Mod Content" DLC to download/install, so are we to skip that step in setting up Zeno? (I haven't tried it yet, so disregard this, for now)

John
06-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Updated to 2.6.30:

NOTE: Updated Russian translation with edits
NOTE: add placeholder text for flytext translations
NOTE: TBS-996 Village elder in Vedrfell has bug-eyes
NOTE: TBS-996 [Localization] - Deflect flytext in Vedrfell tutorial appears as {flytext_deflect} in all languages
NOTE: TBS-987 Difficulty description box may appear empty when first visiting the difficulty menu
NOTE: TBS-990 [Localization][FR] varl is not capitalized in the UI element
NOTE: TBS-995 Character images in the Heroes page are loading slowly, with memory spikes. All party portraits are now cached. non-party roster members still have to load from disk when you access them.
NOTE: Fix eyvind bug-eyes
NOTE: TBS-998 [Console Error] Snake and Juno sprites are missing at the beginning of Chapter 5 cutscene.

Aleonymous
06-13-2014, 04:12 AM
Updated to 2.6.30:

NOTE: TBS-996 Village elder in Vedrfell has bug-eyes
NOTE: TBS-996 [Localization] - Deflect flytext in Vedrfell tutorial appears as {flytext_deflect} in all languages
NOTE: TBS-987 Difficulty description box may appear empty when first visiting the difficulty menu
NOTE: TBS-990 [Localization][FR] varl is not capitalized in the UI element
NOTE: TBS-995 Character images in the Heroes page are loading slowly, with memory spikes. All party portraits are now cached. non-party roster members still have to load from disk when you access them.
NOTE: TBS-998 [Console Error] Snake and Juno sprites are missing at the beginning of Chapter 5 cutscene.

So, I take it that all those NOTE: TBS-9xx entries stand for known issues, to do corrected in due time.

Stobinator
06-13-2014, 08:27 AM
These entries probably just stem from their bug tracking database and were used to annotate the submitted changes in the version control system. I guess, they should all be fixed in the current version.

Aleonymous
06-13-2014, 09:43 AM
These entries probably just stem from their bug tracking database and were used to annotate the submitted changes in the version control system. I guess, they should all be fixed in the current version.

You are probably right about the bug-tracking numbers. One thousand bugs is not so little! I wonder where/when/what-build# did the bug-number serial-counter start... :rolleyes: But, the problems reported in entries TBS-990 (non-capitalized varl in [FR]) & TBS-995 (portraits loading slowly) are still "wrong" for build 2.6.30. So, I believe they are changes to come...

EDIT -- OK, sorry. My steam-client didn't do both back-to-back updates (from 2.6.25 & 2.6.30), meaning that TBS-990 & TBS-995 are corrected in 2.6.30.

Fazolt
06-13-2014, 07:56 PM
For some reason the difficulty seems to reset whenever I close and open the application now (I play on hard, so this is especially noticeable).

Teomus
06-14-2014, 03:01 AM
Dear John,

there is one sentence yet what not translatable yet, and it hasn't been translated
in the other languages either.
"The Last One Standing"
(Or is it not possible at all?)

Best regards,
Teomus

Fazolt
06-14-2014, 04:10 PM
A few more bugs to report, the Varl in Rook's caravan are still present before any Varl have joined, (I noticed a recent patch when I opened my game, so I updated to see if this would fix the issue), and he ha a rather large amount of fighters in his caravan considering how many clansmen he has (the ratio of fighters to clansmen is far greater than before beta), lastly upon arriving in Frostvellr with Rook's caravan the "marching" music doesn't stop, and it overlaps with the soundtrack that starts at the arrival. Lastly, I have noticed several rank 3-5 items showing up in shops early in the game, this has never happened to me before in my previous play throughs, (I've counted 3 rank 5 items already) these items have been showing up in Chapter 2 quite frequently. Of particular notation is the Valka thread, it has shown up in almost every single town since Skogr, as well as the Statue of a Faceless Man.

Aleonymous
06-14-2014, 04:53 PM
I have noticed several rank 3-5 items showing up in shops early in the game, this has never happened to me before in my previous play throughs, (I've counted 3 rank 5 items already) these items have been showing up in Chapter 2 quite frequently. Of particular notation is the Valka thread, it has shown up in almost every single town since Skogr, as well as the Statue of a Faceless Man.

I think that this is completely random, i.e. "it might just happen", meaning that it's not technically a bug... I've always had rank-4/5 items appearing in Skogr market, which was always frustrating! I think the markets should have items (a) that can be afforded by the caravan's current Renown and (b) whose rank is equal to --or, up to one point higher than-- the caravan's max-ranked hero. For example, if the caravan has 21Renown and the maximum hero-rank is 3, then the market should only have up to rank-4 items. Buying an item for later use is something not really encouraged, is it?

Fazolt
06-14-2014, 07:18 PM
I think that this is completely random, i.e. "it might just happen", meaning that it's not technically a bug... I've always had rank-4/5 items appearing in Skogr market, which was always frustrating! I think the markets should have items (a) that can be afforded by the caravan's current Renown and (b) whose rank is equal to --or, up to one point higher than-- the caravan's max-ranked hero. For example, if the caravan has 21Renown and the maximum hero-rank is 3, then the market should only have up to rank-4 items. Buying an item for later use is something not really encouraged, is it?

Yeah, it's just never happened to me before, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug, I wanted to make the devs "aware" just in case it was.

Yngvar
06-14-2014, 07:27 PM
I've seen the same untidy shop problem since the release.

I thought it wasn't a bug but a nonsense.

:rolleyes:

Fazolt
06-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Good to know! I just was lucky enough not to encounter this issue before in my previous play-throughs I suppose.

Fazolt
06-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but lately my to-hit ratio has been 100% regardless of armor or strength, after the most recent patch. Enemies with 1 health have been hitting Mogr whilst he still has 16 armor. Also, arrow traps from the sky striker have been lasting the whole match after the sky strikers death, the same with Yrsa's coals.

Aleonymous
06-15-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but lately my to-hit ratio has been 100% regardless of armor or strength, after the most recent patch. Enemies with 1 health have been hitting Mogr whilst he still has 16 armor. Also, arrow traps from the sky striker have been lasting the whole match after the sky strikers death, the same with Yrsa's coals.

I noticed this "never-deflect/100%-hit" issue in the first build of the beta-localization (even mentioned it here, somewhere), but it was fixed in the following builds. I am not sure about the latest build =/

Burning coals remaining after Yrsa's knock out is a known issue (perhaps intentional), from the release build. I am not sure about Oddleif's Rain-of-Arrows, as it was very rare for her to die on me, with a trap still up in the sky :cool:

Stobinator
06-16-2014, 05:12 AM
I've noticed the "never deflect" bug in the latest loc build as well. Additionally I've won the second battle stages of quite a few wars and have not received a single item. Not sure if this could be an issue as well.

Aleonymous
06-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Additionally I've won the second battle stages of quite a few wars and have not received a single item. Not sure if this could be an issue as well.

On this track, I remember once getting an item for fighting/winning only the first stage of a war-battle, i.e. not taking up the second wave. Not sure which beta-build it was, though...

[Suggestion] It would be nice if enemy-units could as well "wear" those items during the battles (receiving their benefits), so that you know what you'll get if you beat them. Also, markets are very scarce in Chapter 3, so it would be nice if the chance-to-find-items (as war loot) was increased, for that Chapter.

Fazolt
06-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I noticed this "never-deflect/100%-hit" issue in the first build of the beta-localization (even mentioned it here, somewhere), but it was fixed in the following builds. I am not sure about the latest build =/

Burning coals remaining after Yrsa's knock out is a known issue (perhaps intentional), from the release build. I am not sure about Oddleif's Rain-of-Arrows, as it was very rare for her to die on me, with a trap still up in the sky :cool:

I don't know if it's a bug or not, it's just not present in TBS: Factions, so I assumed it was.

John
06-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Are you sure that difficulty is not saving in your save files? The difficulty is on a per-save file basis... Once you load the save file you should see the same difficulty at which you had previously played. It is expected that before you load a game, at the start screen, your Difficulty will be Normal after a restart of the game client application.

For some reason the difficulty seems to reset whenever I close and open the application now (I play on hard, so this is especially noticeable).

Fazolt
06-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure, but I think it was just endemic to my computer, some of my Steam files became corrupted and I had to reinstall everything, now the issue doesn't seem to be present after testing this morning after a new installation.

John
06-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Build 2.6.34

NOTE: TBS-993 Chance to hit percentages are not being shown in battle
NOTE: TBS-979 [Localization][RU] Profile text in the save profile menu is not present.
NOTE: Updated flytext wording in all non-English languages
NOTE: Updated Video skip confirmation dialog in all non-English languages

Remember, you might need to restart Steam to see the new build.

Yngvar
06-17-2014, 07:12 AM
I noticed this "never-deflect/100%-hit" issue in the first build of the beta-localization (even mentioned it here, somewhere), but it was fixed in the following builds.

Not in the spanish build. :confused:

Fazolt
06-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Ok, normally when Yrsa or Oddleif plant a "trap" it lasts for one round, when they die though, it lasts for the entire game. I'm pretty sure this is a glitch. I'm now seeing clansmen in Hakon's caravan, when there are no clansmen in his caravan. And lastly, I'm not sure if this is a glitch, but when a shield master deflects a melee blow, they don't use their return the favor passive ability.

Aleonymous
06-17-2014, 01:09 PM
1. When Yrsa or Oddleif plant a "trap" it lasts for one round, when they die though, it lasts for the entire game. I'm pretty sure this is a glitch.
2. I'm now seeing clansmen in Hakon's caravan, when there are no clansmen in his caravan.
3. I'm not sure if this is a glitch, but when a shield master deflects a melee blow, they don't use their return the favor passive ability.

1. Hmm. It might be a glitch, but not an overly annoying, or game-breaking, one. Yrsa's coals could be left after her death, as a reminder... But, Odd's trap seems wrong to "stay up in the sky" even after her death, though...
2. That sounds weird, indeed. Hakon's caravan does have fighters (human ones), but certainly not clansmen. Do you also "see them" in the caravan, e.g. when in close-up caravan view (e.g. when entering villages, or approaching godstones)?
3. This is normal. RtF is triggered only when the SM receives damage. So, if an attack was deflected, the attacker shouldn't receive armor-damage.

Yngvar
06-22-2014, 04:44 PM
The following notes were taken through my first attempt to play the Spanish translation included in the beta localization...

In their wake translated as En un principio (In the beginning) instead of En su duelo/velo (Mourn or vigil), much more accurate to the context: The Gods are dead.

Brigands translated as Brigadas (Brigades) instead of Forajidos (Outlaws).

Governor translated as Gobernador instead of Jarl (Chieftain, Earl, Nobleman in Old Norse).

Steward translated as Criado (Servant) instead of Alguacil (Sheriff) or even Mayordomo (Butler).

Tiles translated as Fichas (Tokens) instead of Casillas.

Fill translated as Rellenan instead of Ocupan (Occupy).

Varls translated as Varles instead of keeping the original form.

Solo (Alone) insted of Sólo (Only) again and again.

Producirás (Manufacture context) instead Causarás (you'll inflict, of course).

Renown translated as Reputación (Reputation) instead of Renombre.

Proving Grounds translate as Campo de la verdad (field of the truth) instead of Campo de prácticas or Campo de armas (field where the medieval tournaments took place).

Some answers doesn't match with the questions due to grammar agreement problems.

Example #1.
Eirik interrogates the old skald at the market.
Eirik: Hoy no estoy de humor.
Merchant: ¿De qué?
Eirik: Para hablar contigo.

Example #2. This one is particulary terrible in each and every sense.
Ubin meets Vognir and Hakon at the docks.
Ubin: Si está Vognir debe estar Hakon.
Hakon: ¿Debe haber?

...I'm sure I've missed some others mistakes through that first moments. Probably, I've forgotten a few more. After a while I've just stopped to write down every single thing because of the unbelievable amount of them. And everything is getting worse and worse after that.

Anyway, right now I'm facing the Hogun & Mogun situation but I'll go back to Strand ready to take more notes.

Do you want to hear some last funny thing?

Well, surprise, surprise, in my campaign Oddleifs's husband and Skorg's chieftain is still alive because of, you know, the translation.

Yngvar
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM
More things that bump in the night during my insomniac journey from Strand to Einartoft.

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/23/140623065443116894.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140623065443116894.jpg)

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/23/140623065656265237.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140623065656265237.jpg)

Problem with names and labels.

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/23/140623065851132192.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140623065851132192.jpg)

The war text dialogue doesn't show the number of enemies and allies properly.

I forgot to take some screenshot but the randomsetofcharactersatthebeginningandendofasubtit lestring issue has been becoming a constant through the Frostvellr's event.

John
06-24-2014, 09:03 AM
@Yngvar

Would the correct translation for the war screen be:

Cuentas rápidamente con la cabeza. Tiene que haber al menos 999 de ellos. Tienes a 888 de guerreros y 777 Varl a tu lado.

balnoisi
06-24-2014, 12:05 PM
@Yngvar

Would the correct translation for the war screen be:

Cuentas rápidamente con la cabeza. Tiene que haber al menos 999 de ellos. Tienes a 888 de guerreros y 777 Varl a tu lado.

Not Yngwar but still :

The use of de in "Tiene que haber al menos 999 de ellos" is correct.
But in "Tienes a 888 de guerreros" it is not. It should say "Tienes 888 guerreros y 777 Varl a tu lado".

Yngvar
06-24-2014, 02:01 PM
There is not such a thing as correct grammar in the beta localization translation, Balnoisi.

Sad but true.

In fact the proper translation should be something like this:

Los Dredges desnudan sus armas, prestos para la batalla.

Calculas/cuentas a simple vista/a ojo. Ha de haber no menos de -número de enemigos-. Junto a ti aguardan -número de guerreros- guerreros y -número de varls- varls.

Yngvar
06-24-2014, 04:53 PM
These screenshots were taken last night.

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/24/140624113752719407.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140624113752719407.jpg)

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/24/140624113835643256.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140624113835643256.jpg)

The first one is unbelievable in each a every sense. I've played the English version of the game before but If I hadn't played it I would have any clue what the hell is talking about. The second one is funny...

The only sound is the trees blowing through the trees.

...till you realize that the translation ruined one of the most dramatic scenes in the whole story-line.

Guðmundr
06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
The first one is unbelievable in each a every sense.

Lol, I put it into Google Translate, and this is what came out: "On the floor before that the dead slingshot is a small stone figure, his hands looking for something that cannot be found."

John
06-24-2014, 07:14 PM
What should they say?

En el suelo antes de que de que el tirachinas muerto sea una pequeña figura de piedra, sus manos buscan algo que no puede encontrar.

El único sonido es el de los arboles soplando a través de los arboles.

I can put 'em on the list to fix, or I can fix them myself.

JW

Yngvar
06-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Sorry for the big delay.

I had to go back to the original scene to be able to understand the whole thing.

There are two options: Literal and free.

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/25/140625042132806815.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140625042132806815.jpg)

En el suelo ante el hondero muerto hay una pequeña figura pétrea, sus manos buscando algo que no puede encontrar.

Tendida en el suelo ante el cadáver del hondero yace una pequeña figura pétrea, implorando sus manos algo que no llegará.

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/25/140625042215939429.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140625042215939429.jpg)

El único sonido es el del viento soplando a través de los árboles.

Sólo el rumor del viento entre los árboles rompe el incómodo silencio.

The free is richer than the literal that is just correct but simple.

visorium
07-02-2014, 07:25 AM
so about 2.7.01b (RU)

- Гуннульф про костюм: "Why?" переведено как "Почему?", хотя по смыслу это "А что?"
- Опять обветренный человек (Вальгард). Обветренным может быть только лицо, губы и руки, это слово с ограниченной лексической сочетаемостью.
-"Люди" вместо "клановцев" - хорошо, но "Люди, Бойцы и ВАРЛ" адын штук - это всё же немного странно.
- "годность провизии" - намудрили, можно было просто "провизия" или "припасы"
- "Пробив". Может быть, просто "Бронебойность"? Слово "пробив" в роли существительного официально не существует в русском языке, а по факту это очень узкоспециальное жаргонное слово.
- "броневого урона" - броневой? Опять намудрили, ненужное словотворчество, просто - "урона броне"
- "Я никогда не ожидал..." это мышинный перевод, очевидно - "Не думал что..."
- "к одному из старших юнцов" - стилистически неоправданный оксюморон. Может быть "к одному из парней постарше" или как-то так. "Юнец" - слово, несущее в себе оценочное суждение, причем отрицательное. Он еще желторотый бывает.
- "Айвер:Боги, Рук, не рассказывай им, что я знаю, что делать." - трудная фраза, опять переведено неверно. "Боги, Рук, только не говори им, будто я знаю, что делать." Глагол "говорить" здесь лучше подходит, чем "рассказывать", потому что в слове "рассказывать" есть смысловой оттенок намерения, и получается, что Рук пойдёт делать это специально. Замена одного "что" на "будто" убирает тавтологию и делает текст более лёгким для восприятия.
- "Зуб за зуб" - хорошо, но лучше "Отдача" - потому что ЩБ не "выполняет контратаку", это бред сивой кобылы :)
- "Целитель" лучше "Ткач"
- "Джорундр" можно "Йорунд" (-р не читается)

/.../

Checked it superficially to the first Godstone.
Many mistakes were corrected, some are still there, and some were changed to the new ones.
There is still a lot of work to do. But now it`s better than it was, glad to see it. I liked new font as well.

Итоги беглого осмотра, глубоко не забирался.
Многие ошибки исправлены, какие-то остались без изменения, какие-то заменили на другие ошибки:(
Работы ещё много. Но это уже не тот блжд, который был в первом варианте, это не может не радовать. Ну и замена шрифтов порадовала.