PDA

View Full Version : Yrsa theories.

Fazolt
06-15-2014, 11:16 AM
THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NOT FINISHED CHAPTER THREE!

Proceed at your own risk.

I think this character might actually have a far greater role in TBS 2.

Okay, firstly I'll start this by saying, what do we know about Yrsa?

Very little.

She's a bit odd, possibly insane.

She seems to have some form of "magic" (and not just trickery via the use of oil) as evidenced when she burns a raven whilst conversing with Hakon and she even claims that she is a witch.

She claims to be "Ludin's Bodyguard" though retracts this statement as if to imply it as a joke, but we learned from Tryggvi that even though a character says something that sounds crazy, doesn't mean it is.

Ludin seems to greatly respect her, and care for her, and is very frustrated when she is lost (presumed dead) during the forest fire, if you accept her offer to burn the forest.

I believe that this character hasn't died in the forest fire, (If she was lost in it) and that she has a relatively big role to play, I don't know what, but I'd like to hear some other theories. Perhaps Ludin is her puppet, or she is someone more important than we believed? Maybe she even killed Vognir. I'm not quite sure, but I do believe that since we've seen so little of her, and that she has been made so mysterious, that we will see more of her. And of course, it's entirely possible that I'm reading into nothing.

Aleonymous
06-16-2014, 03:29 AM
I agree with you, that there's more to Yrsa than is "handed out" in TBS1. I am also confident that her (possible) disappearance in Chapter 3 doesn't mean that she was killed, i.e. I expect her to re-appear at some later point of the game. Perhaps, when/if the caravan reaches Arberrang (the human capital) we might learn more about her; and, about Bersi who's portrayed as a freak-of-a-varl, serving a human!

Looking at the snow/cold-filled world of TBS, I can't help but believe that there must be an "opposite", that is fire! And, the only fiery character we've seen so far is Yrsa. Maybe she's something like GRRM/ASOIAF's Melisandre (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Melisandre)?

Fazolt
06-16-2014, 05:31 PM
I hadn't thought of that, but come to think of it now she does somewhat remind me of Melisandre, in terms of both her apparel, and facial features. I don't think though that the whole Ice/Fire thing is as relevant in the Banner Saga though because it is more ambiguous than in GoT as to what the ultimate evil is, (in GoT you have an army of evil snow zombies, and fire breathing dragons, it's pretty clear what the finale's going to be :P) and lastly the snow/ice simply represents the habitat of TBS. I think a more appropriate comparison would be fire to the "darkness" mentioned by the Serpent towards the end of the game. As for Bersi, I have no clue about what he is, possibly a former mercenary of the Ravens?

Aleonymous
06-17-2014, 02:44 AM
Dredge, meanies spreading from the north, can be thought as an analogue to ASOIAF's White-Walkers (evil snow zombies :p). I am not sure that they are "evil", maybe Stoic got a nice plot-twist for that too. Also, Dredge ain't afraid of fire, but Varl are... :rolleyes: Perhaps Yrsa is an agent of some society of pro-human Varl-haters? But, how can she cope with Bersi, then? :confused:

Bolverk and the Ravens (sounds like a rock-band! :cool:) also have major roles to play.

Fazolt
06-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes, but unlike the White Walkers the player, and characters, have some compassion for the dredge (dredge child/revelations about slingers/stone singers, and learning they are fleeing the north), and there is a level of morale ambiguity to be considered when killing them. The White Walkers? Not so much, I have a feeling that in the following games we will see more of the Dredge, from a different point of view though (fingers crossed) possibly even a dredge character? Come to think of it though, you do bring up a good point about Yrsa being someone capable of manipulating flame, and the Varl being afraid of flame. I'm not sure what the relevance is, but Ludin doesn't seem to like the Varl much, except for Bersi, and he has what we believe to be a flame wielding body guard by his side. Not sure if there's any relevance between the two, but it does pose a few questions.

Aleonymous
07-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Here is the wikipedia article on Yrsa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yrsa The character portrayed there doesn't seem to have many similarities with the in-game character, so I don't think it can be used to make extrapolations. One description mythological character is this:

Yrsa was not one of the slave girls, and it was soon observed that she was intelligent, spoke well, and in all respects was well behaved. All people thought well of her, and particularly the king; and at last it came to so far that the king celebrated his wedding with her, and Yrsa became queen of Svithiod, and was considered an excellent woman.

The game's Yrsa seems more like the capricious, witty and unpredictable type. You wouldn't call her "well behaved", for sure! :D

Finally, the name's etymology (http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Yrsa) theories:

#1: Younger variant form of İrr (from Old Norse œrr = 'mad, furious, wild')
#2: From an Ancient Norse unknown word for 'she-bear' with the same roots as Latin ursus (see also Ursula, which is used as a Latinisation of Yrsa as well)

The game's character seems closer to theory #1.