PDA

View Full Version : The Banner Saga Patch 2 - Release Notes - 2.6.45

John
06-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Major Updates:

Translated into 6 Languages: Deutsch, Français, Русский, Português (Brasil), Polski, and Español!
Added Save Profile Slots!
Balanced and Tuned the Bellower fight!

Localization:

You can set your desired language by right-clicking the game and changing Properties, or from within the game itself via the Options menu. If you change to a non-English language, Subtitles will automatically be enabled.

Save Slots:

There are now 5 Save Profiles that you can use. All of your existing save games will be automatically migrated into 'Profile 1' when you start the game.

Bellower Fight:

The difficulty curve has been tuned. Your party's injuries are now healed before the Bellower fight due to your long stay in Boersgard. Bellower and his minions are not as strong in Normal difficulty.

Changes:

Added and updated many Kickstarter Backer names
Deleted the tents on the left side of the forest camp for medium population
Changed Dredge Splinter Passive to no longer triggers Bellower's enrage attack
Made the Bellower fight easier by lowering his max str/arm for the second round in normal and easy mode. Also made henchmen lower tiers
Added confirmation box to delete progress and start new game
Added video disable command line option for people experiencing video crashes: '-video_disable'
Updated FMOD to 4.44.34
Added confirmation dialog to skip introductory Videos
Converted both intro videos to 720p 24fps FLV
Added sound effect occurs when clicking the Help button in the Heroes menus.
Added sfx when dragging and dropping character cards on Heroes & Assemble screens
Character portraits in Heroes Details now load as needed instead of all loading when Heroes opens
Zeno Content editing tool is now included with the game. See this link for information about how to Mod The Banner Saga: http://bit.ly/tbsmodding

Bug Fixes:

FIXED: Party Injuries do not heal as days pass in Boersgard
FIXED: Shooting Silver Arrow while at 1 Strength causes Game Over
FIXED: Level 5 characters do not show equipped items description while in battle
FIXED: Occasional issue in Chapter 3 that prevent save files from saving
FIXED: Items cannot be purchased from the Market when loading from some save games
FIXED: Issue with credits crawl slowing down near the end of the credits
FIXED: Character equipped with Eyeless Rift still sees chance to hit percentage
FIXED: Pressing Esc while information is up on Heroes screen will exit fullscreen
FIXED: Clicking an item in the marketplace after closing the Options menu creates a console error
FIXED: Item highlight in marketplace flicks on and off if cursor is directly below the item
FIXED: Continue button text is not centered in the button on the Heroes page
FIXED: Credits do not exit after reaching the end

Build Number: 2.6.47

The build number is displayed in the titlebar of the game window, and at the beginning of your log files.

Log file location:

Windows: %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\logs\

Open Windows Explorer
Paste the path into the location bar textbox and hit Enter

Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/TheBannerSaga/Local Store/logs/

Open Finder
Hit Command-Shift-G to open the “Go to the folder:” popup dialog
Paste the path into the textbox and hit Enter

Aleonymous
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Great news! :) So, I take it that the localization beta is over. Do we need to "opt out" or is that done automatically?

Zeno Content editing tool is now included with the game. See this link for information about how to Mod The Banner Saga: http://bit.ly/tbsmodding

John, about Zeno, the google-doc you link to, mentions that a certain "Mod Content" free Steam-DLC is required to be downloaded and installed in order for the mod tool to function. When should we be expecting that?

John
06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
You should already see the "Mod Content" DLC in your DLC list. If you don't, I'll need to investigate. Try restarting the Steam Client now that we've updated the game.

Aleonymous
06-20-2014, 10:48 AM
You should already see the "Mod Content" DLC in your DLC list. If you don't, I'll need to investigate. Try restarting the Steam Client now that we've updated the game.

OK, I'll do that when I get home from work, in some hours.

I was just curious if this DLC should/would show up in the DLC-list of the Steam-store page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/237990) (along with OST etc).

Yellow
06-20-2014, 11:32 AM
So,

- Gronnulf starts with 2 skill points in Exertion on the tutorial, but later on he has 0 points on that skill.
- Alette has wrong bio after she puts the hood up.
- No varls or fighters join you caravan(add to the total number) when you leave Einarntof, even when the text says that almost half the garrison follows you.
- Udin's caravan don't add any numbers neither to yours when they join you shortly after leaving Einarntof!
- When Rook and Juno go get the silver from the godstone, in the text it says "Rook woke up following Juno", but in the background picture is the other way around, Juno following Rook.

+ Nid starts at level 1(she should starts at level 5 in stead, since she joins so late and there are so little fights left. (not a bug but a suggestion)

Any of that has been addressed with this patch?

Stobinator
06-20-2014, 12:04 PM
On a first glimpse I noticed a few new issues.

1. When hovering over the morale meter the actual word "morale" is missing. This can cause linguistic issues in many languages as the strings have just been cut without adapting grammar.
http://kevstober.de/hosting/14.png

2. Ability descriptions are missing when selecting a character on the battle screen.
http://kevstober.de/hosting/15.png

John
06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
@Stobinator thanks, we are addressing these for a hotfix.

Aleonymous
06-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Hmmm, that "Mod Content" DLC doesn't show up. I exited/re-entered the Steam-client (and the game itself) several times, to no avail. Maybe it just needs time for the patch to "sync in"? (pun intended :p)

I also noticed a small "bug" (dunno if it existed before): At Chapter 1, I exited the game (and thus saved) right after the Nobleman fight, when Vognir's ships arrive in the docks and Eirik asks Ubin to go meet them. Upon re-loading the game, no ships could be seen in the harbor...

John
06-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Ahhh.. There are still some more Steam buttons and whatnot that I have to push to make it visible to everyone!

Hmmm, that "Mod Content" DLC doesn't show up. I exited/re-entered the Steam-client (and the game itself) several times, to no avail. Maybe it just needs time for the patch to "sync in"? (pun intended :p)

I also noticed a small "bug" (dunno if it existed before): At Chapter 1, I exited the game (and thus saved) right after the Nobleman fight, when Vognir's ships arrive in the docks and Eirik asks Ubin to go meet them. Upon re-loading the game, no ships could be seen in the harbor...

Yellow
06-20-2014, 03:53 PM
So i guess the answer to my question was : No?

John
06-20-2014, 04:14 PM
AFAIK, none of those things have changed in this patch.

So,

Any of that has been addressed with this patch?

Yellow
06-20-2014, 04:28 PM
AFAIK, none of those things have changed in this patch.

Ok, are there going to be more patches then or was this the last one?

John
06-20-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm going to fix a few issues that have surfaced and make a patch soon (perhaps in an hour). Additional bugs will be fixed and features added in future patches!

Ok, are there going to be more patches then or was this the last one?

John
06-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Updated/Hotfixed to Build 2.6.47:

NOTE: Fix issue where Morale tooltip on Travel HUD was getting its second line truncated
NOTE: Fix issue where ability info panel in battle was not showing abilities

Fazolt
06-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Just to make sure you know, the mod tool is showing up fine for me. EDIT: Caravan's still don't seem to be handling "population well" Varl/Clansmen showing up when there are 0 in the caravan, disproportionate amount of fighters in comparison to Varl when has more Varl than fighters.

Yngvar
06-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Same problem as above.

And another one: I've just realized that the names of the locations -Mead House or Market, for example- in each and every city or town are untranslated.

John
06-21-2014, 09:41 AM
I'll check into this today!

Just to make sure you know, the mod tool is showing up fine for me. EDIT: Caravan's still don't seem to be handling "population well" Varl/Clansmen showing up when there are 0 in the caravan, disproportionate amount of fighters in comparison to Varl when has more Varl than fighters.

John
06-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Some text is not translated:

Names of locations 'in-world', e.g. names above cities
Names of clickable locations 'in-town', e.g. 'Leave', and 'Heroes'
A few VFX in battle 'Last One Standing!', 'Forge Ahead!', etc...

Same problem as above.

And another one: I've just realized that the names of the locations -Mead House or Market, for example- in each and every city or town are untranslated.

John
06-21-2014, 10:20 AM
@Fazolt would you please mail the save files that display the caravan population issues? I'm not seeing it at first glance in several different scenes.

If you want to make it really easy for me, use the quicksave feature available in developer mode:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXKMaroP1t18BXEKrl0YpFamg-ZN8wPk-vTt0rAq53M/edit?usp=sharing

Henly
06-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Injured in heroes list not translated in any language.

Yngvar
06-21-2014, 11:05 AM
That's the actual look of the caravan (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140621060527150502.jpg) after Skogr and there are more varls coming.

Fazolt
06-21-2014, 06:44 PM
@Fazolt would you please mail the save files that display the caravan population issues? I'm not seeing it at first glance in several different scenes.

If you want to make it really easy for me, use the quicksave feature available in developer mode:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXKMaroP1t18BXEKrl0YpFamg-ZN8wPk-vTt0rAq53M/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, how should I send you the files (I'll take a screen shot of the console in the scene where this occurs, to be safe) and how do I do access the q save? Is it in the logs folder of application support/tbs/logs (or something similar)? And should I do the quick save at the location where the error occurs (it occurs any time there is a "zoom in" on the caravan, and a walking scene)?

EDIT: Yngvar added a picture demonstrating the issue with the caravan's showing fighters/clansmen/varl where there shouldn't be, or disproportionate amounts. Sometimes it varies.

John
06-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, I've found the issue and will be hotfixing it tomorrow evening. (It was a typo in the caravan graphics setup code)

Fazolt
06-23-2014, 07:30 AM
Okay. Glad I could help.

Aleonymous
06-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys, I've found the issue and will be hotfixing it tomorrow evening. (It was a typo in the caravan graphics setup code)

Assuming that this bug didn't exist before, and if I might be allowed the curiosity (:o): Why did you tweak the caravan-population code for? Those population-subgroup numbers shouldn't have been related to localization... So, where you experimenting with the effect of population-change on gameplay?

andro1965
06-23-2014, 04:53 PM
How i can donload this patch????

Aleonymous
06-23-2014, 05:05 PM
How i can donload this patch????

If you have the Steam version of the game, it should update automatically. Not sure how it is done with the DRM-free (e.g. GoG.com) version; maybe re-install?

Yellow
06-24-2014, 03:19 AM
If you have the Steam version of the game, it should update automatically. Not sure how it is done with the DRM-free (e.g. GoG.com) version; maybe re-install?

At GoG you have to re-download and re-install.

John
06-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Ahh, I've been changing everything :)

In particular the caravan was pretty strongly hard-coded, and I had to refactor it to allow it to be data-driven (for the next game, and other games/mods). It's still a bit hard-coded but the guts of it are cleaned up and refactored.

Assuming that this bug didn't exist before, and if I might be allowed the curiosity (:o): Why did you tweak the caravan-population code for? Those population-subgroup numbers shouldn't have been related to localization... So, where you experimenting with the effect of population-change on gameplay?

Aleonymous
06-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Ahh, I've been changing everything :)

In particular the caravan was pretty strongly hard-coded, and I had to refactor it to allow it to be data-driven (for the next game, and other games/mods). It's still a bit hard-coded but the guts of it are cleaned up and refactored.

Curiosity sated, for a little while. :)

My next question: Should we expect "big" gameplay changes for Saga2? If so, will those be "backwards compatible" to Saga1? Maybe via modding or you could deploy an official "TBS1: Enhanced Edition" DLC or something. From my experience, it is a pain trying to keep an "engine" continuously-updated with new features compatible with all past "data", but it seems that you're trying to do just that...

John
06-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Updated to build 2.6.51

NOTE: Fix issue with too many Varl and Fighters showing up in close travel caravan
NOTE: Add 60 more Kickstarter backer crests
NOTE: Fix syntax errors in some conversations where square brackets around names were showing up, e.g. "Rook] ..."
NOTE: fix typo in war for spanish where dredge/fighter/varl counts were not showing up
NOTE: Updated Steam Achievements in Spanish and Polish (They were still in English on Steam)

Aleonymous
06-25-2014, 04:18 AM
Updated to build 2.6.51

NOTE: Fix issue with too many Varl and Fighters showing up in close travel caravan
NOTE: Add 60 more Kickstarter backer crests
NOTE: Fix syntax errors in some conversations where square brackets around names were showing up, e.g. "Rook] ..."
NOTE: fix typo in war for spanish where dredge/fighter/varl counts were not showing up
NOTE: Updated Steam Achievements in Spanish and Polish (They were still in English on Steam)

John, people over at steam-boards (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/?tscn=1403686551#c540744936027724273) saying this hotfix made them unable to access the Market place. I didn't cross-check it myself, but there's at least 4-5 of them reporting this.

John
06-25-2014, 11:13 AM
@Aleonymous yep I found it and am making another build now.

Fishcake
06-25-2014, 03:09 PM
@Aleonymous yep I found it and am making another build now.

Ah, glad I found this page. I'm at Boersgard and haven't been able to access the market for the last few towns I visited. Clansmen are dropping like flies as I've not been able to buy supplies.

Once fixed does it generally take long to get published to Steam?

Absolutely loving the game so far, great work guys!

Aleonymous
06-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Once fixed does it generally take long to get published to Steam?

I'll take a chance and bet the hotfix that fixes this will be on Steam in a few hours... :) Your steam-game should update automatically. Exiting and re-starting the steam-client is maybe the safest way for the patch/hotfix to apply itself "smoothly".

John
06-25-2014, 03:29 PM
It's usually quite quick. However during the Summer Sale, every Steam service is totally bogged down, so what is normally a 30-minute build turnaround turns into a 12-hour turnaround. Bad timing :)

John
06-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Updated to 2.6.56

NOTE: Fixed Market click not working
NOTE: Updated Spanish translation with revisions

Aleonymous
06-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Something weird is happening with the Skystriker steam-achievement . It shows that 0% of the players (http://steamcommunity.com/stats/237990/achievements/) have ever gotten that. I hope that its a problem of the "aggregation" and not preventing players from actually getting that achievement... Speaking of that, any chance of fixing Factions "broken" Elo-achievements? :p

Here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/?tscn=1403763302#c540744936269393686) is another suspicious bug report (malfunction of "Mark Prey" ability). I hope it's a false one!

John
06-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Skystriker achievement fixed (it just wasn't showing up right). I'm looking into Mark Prey now.

Harmoniker
06-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Hi, good news. Thanks for patching and adding more languages! :o

But, why I see only the old version (Mac OS X installer, English 1.0.0) on GOG.com? What is going on?

John
06-26-2014, 08:51 AM
We're making a few more little hotfixes during the course of the week. Once everything is all tidy, we will upload a new build to GOG.

JW

Hi, good news. Thanks for patching and adding more languages! :o

But, why I see only the old version (Mac OS X installer, English 1.0.0) on GOG.com? What is going on?

Yngvar
06-26-2014, 09:03 AM
The subtitles text doesn't show properly in the Spanish version.

http://i.imgur.com/4IDzx0C.jpg

From the Steam Community.

Yngvar
06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
There's the same problem through the whole game.

http://sia2.subirimagenes.net/img/2014/06/26/140626061951756860.jpg (http://www.subirimagenes.net/i/140626061951756860.jpg)

Aleonymous
06-26-2014, 04:37 PM
John, this Mark-Prey bug may have "infected" the Silver-Arrow battle, again, in case Rook bears the arrow... Here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/540744936420347429/?tscn=1403808922) is a report from the Steam-boards.

John
06-26-2014, 11:41 PM
I wasn't able to reproduce any issues with the silver arrow and Rook.

John
06-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Updated to Build 2.6.61

NOTE: Fix issue with Mark Prey not functioning
NOTE: Fix issue with Spanish VO subtitles not displaying

Kimberly
06-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Might I suggest you add a link to the patch in the release notes posts? I'm still mystified as to where I am actually supposed to download the patch, or even an updated version. There doesn't seem to be a patcher program in the game folder, and the "Download Game" link on StoicStudio.com only provides version 2.1.65. This seems like very poor customer support for people not using third-party patchers like Steam.

John
06-27-2014, 04:04 PM
The Patch 2 build and following hotfixes are only on Steam, which automatically updates the patch hotfix builds. I'll put up a DRM free zip in the downloads section as soon as the hotfixes are finalized. We've made a few minor changes each day since the initial Patch 2 release: Some of them bug fixes, some of them pieces of missing polish that needed adding. At this point we've fixed everything that has come up. If nothing else comes up over the weekend you can expect a non-Steam download of the updated game to be available later next week. I'm not going to build and distribute a multi-gigabyte DRM-free version every time we do a hotfix, but instead roll up all the changes into a single download. This is the same approach we took with initial launch and Patch 1.

GOG players: The GOG build will be updated at the same time as the KS DRM-free build.

Yngvar
06-27-2014, 06:18 PM
It sounds fair enough to me.

DDickens
06-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Updated to Build 2.6.61

NOTE: Fix issue with Mark Prey not functioning
NOTE: Fix issue with Spanish VO subtitles not displaying

I bought The Banner Saga on steam and the window of the game tells me that it is up to date, but Mark Prey is not working for me. How can I fix this? Or when can I expect a fix?

John
06-29-2014, 09:36 PM
I bought The Banner Saga on steam and the window of the game tells me that it is up to date, but Mark Prey is not working for me. How can I fix this? Or when can I expect a fix?

Can you please send me your log files and save files?

Log Files
The log file locations are:

Open Finder
Open Windows Explorer

Save Games

Games are saved in a similar location to the logfiles, in this case:
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/TheBannerSaga/Local Store/save/saga1/
Open Finder
Windows: %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\save\saga1\
Open Windows Explorer
Each save file is a single .json file paired with a .png screenshot. You may share save files with others or transfer them to different machines. They may also be used to contain the state necessary to reproduce bugs.

Aleonymous
06-30-2014, 05:27 AM
John, I'm just summarizing some issues reported in the Steam-boards:

Game won't save after some point -- There's at least two reports (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/#c540744937038846267)of that bug, and it's probably quite serious Is it related to the large number of hotfixes?
Silver-Arrow / Mark-Prey issues -- I think you'll nail those down soon enough.
The good-old "Teleport" bug -- There was one mention of it (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/#c540744936841269084), with Oddleif. I remember it happening with Rook, back in December 2013.
CPU over-usage -- That must be a technology-specific issue, and not something that can be addressed easily...

John
06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
John, I'm just summarizing some issues reported in the Steam-boards:

Game won't save after some point -- There's at least two reports (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/#c540744937038846267)of that bug, and it's probably quite serious Is it related to the large number of hotfixes?
Silver-Arrow / Mark-Prey issues -- I think you'll nail those down soon enough.
The good-old "Teleport" bug -- There was one mention of it (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/#c540744936841269084), with Oddleif. I remember it happening with Rook, back in December 2013.
CPU over-usage -- That must be a technology-specific issue, and not something that can be addressed easily...

We've tracked down the save game issue. It happens if you camp during travel very close to the next trigger for a scene -- for instance if you camp _just_ outside of Frostvellr, when you break camp you see the world travel scene flash in, then Frostvellr loads immediately -- leaving your save game situation borked. We're going to need to test the change thoroughly on Tuesday (today is a holiday in Canada) before putting it out for everyone. In the meantime, anyone who encounters this bug should send me their save and log files, and I can actually fix it on a case-by-case basis by editing the save file.

The Mark-Prey issues should be fixed, I'm not aware of a confirmed case in 2.6.61, are you? The silver-arrow issue is the problem where zero willpower prevents use, correct?

Teleporting I don't know much about, very hard to reproduce. If you encounter it please send your logs and saves.

The CPU over-usage is definitely a machine-specific issue, not much I can do about it. I could perhaps add options for things like disabling snow and animations and whatnot. I'm working on the mobile port right now too, so some of those optimizations might help out the PC version in a few months.

Aleonymous
06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
The Mark-Prey issues should be fixed, I'm not aware of a confirmed case in 2.6.61, are you? The silver-arrow issue is the problem where zero willpower prevents use, correct?

Teleporting I don't know much about, very hard to reproduce. If you encounter it please send your logs and saves.

I am gonna check the Mark-Prey bug later this evening, in the v2.6.61. About the Silver-Arrow bug, here's the thread (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/540744936730964081/) I fell upon; it sounds like the same symptoms that used to happen before the 2nd patch, i.e. the SA-button sometimes would not be "pushable". I am gonna give a few tries too.

About Teleporting -- I've never come across it in the official releases, in over 180hrs of play-time. It must now be quite rare, indeed.

Aleonymous
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I am gonna check the Mark-Prey bug later this evening, in the v2.6.61. About the Silver-Arrow bug, here's the thread (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/540744936730964081/) I fell upon; it sounds like the same symptoms that used to happen before the 2nd patch, i.e. the SA-button sometimes would not be "pushable". I am gonna give a few tries too.

About the battle-bugs -- I tried several battles, loading save-games:

Bellower Fight (Normal): Rook has Silver-Arrow. It is activated normally, with Willpower
Bellower Fight (Normal): Rook has Silver-Arrow. Can't activate with zero Willpower
Bellower Fight (Normal): Alette has Silver-Arrow. It is activate normally, with Willpower.
Bellower Fight (Normal): Alette has Silver-Arrow. Can't activate with zero Willpower
Mark-Prey: Works normally. Tested at Bellower Fight and at Sigrholm fight.

About the CPU overheating issue -- Here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/?tscn=1404153884#c540744937134420981) is post that helped someone; perhaps it can be useful for others too.

John
06-30-2014, 03:13 PM
About the battle-bugs -- I tried several battles, loading save-games:

Bellower Fight (Normal): Rook has Silver-Arrow. It is activated normally, with Willpower
Bellower Fight (Normal): Rook has Silver-Arrow. Can't activate with zero Willpower
Bellower Fight (Normal): Alette has Silver-Arrow. It is activate normally, with Willpower.
Bellower Fight (Normal): Alette has Silver-Arrow. Can't activate with zero Willpower
Mark-Prey: Works normally. Tested at Bellower Fight and at Sigrholm fight.

About the CPU overheating issue -- Here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/648816743143212793/?tscn=1404153884#c540744937134420981) is post that helped someone; perhaps it can be useful for others too.

Cool, I was able to reproduce the zero willpower issue locally and will fix it. The one that I'm not sure about is when you get the circle/slash icon on the ability, and it's not willpower related (if that actually still happens)

That CPU overheating workaround is indeed very helpful!

JW

DDickens
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Can you please send me your log files and save files?

Log Files

Open Finder
Open Windows Explorer

Save Games

Games are saved in a similar location to the logfiles, in this case:
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/TheBannerSaga/Local Store/save/saga1/
Open Finder
Windows: %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\save\saga1\
Open Windows Explorer
Each save file is a single .json file paired with a .png screenshot. You may share save files with others or transfer them to different machines. They may also be used to contain the state necessary to reproduce bugs.

Sure thing, where should I send them though? Do you have an email? Or should I just post them here?

Aleonymous
06-30-2014, 05:05 PM
The one that I'm not sure about is when you get the circle/slash icon on the ability, and it's not willpower related (if that actually still happens)

I've come across this bug several times in the past, but I haven't been able to pick up a pattern... It's surely not strictly willpower-related. For what it's worth, I had emailed you two log-files where that bug manifested, in 29-Jan-2014 (when you were on a break); if you want, I can re-mail them.

Yngvar
06-30-2014, 05:13 PM
I've got the same problem with the silver arrow but just once.

It's weird.

John
06-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Sure thing, where should I send them though? Do you have an email? Or should I just post them here?

Please send them to help@stoicstudio.com

Aleonymous
07-01-2014, 03:38 AM
That CPU overheating workaround is indeed very helpful!

For the record, here (Steamboards) (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/540744936675673445/#c540744937416939320) is another solution that helped.

John
07-01-2014, 01:04 PM
There is a candidate hotfix build on the 'beta' branch. We will QA it tomorrow but you guys can go ahead and take a look. In particular, I am interested in Russian feedback on the new font. To switch to the 'beta' branch select it from the dropdown in

Steam LIBRARY->The Banner Saga ->Properties->BETAS->"Select the beta..."->"beta - For public testing"

Release Notes 2.7.01:

NOTE: Allow silver arrow to work properly even if player is out of willpower
NOTE: Increase pan speed during battle. This creates a smoother experience, especially on lower end machines.
NOTE: Update Vinque font to include Russian text. No more Arial for Russian
NOTE: Fix decamping very close to the next travel location trigger

Test Notes:

This affects the 'battle self popup' across the board for all units. Please test cases of legitimate willpower exhaustion as well as the silver arrow case which has a willpower cost of zero. Please test the '2' hotkey that activates the targeting mode for this ability.

NOTE: Increase pan speed during battle. This creates a smoother experience, especially on lower end machines.

Affects all battles across the board but should only have a cosmetic effect. The pan speeds for villages and travel scenes should remain unchanged

Instead of switching Vinque to Arial in Russian, we now switch to an alternate Vinque (VinqueRU). VinqueRU looks slightly different than Vinque, mostly in the glyph spacing, but overall looks similar. The Languages menu should always display language buttons other than the Russian button (Русский) in plain Vinque. I had some issues with the non-Русский buttons getting messed up after a restart, which is now fixed, but please check how the VinqueRU is getting swapped out both at runtime and through a restart.

This was a global issue that could affect anyone, albeit uncommonly. The way to make this happen was to camp while traveling, very close to reaching the next scene change trigger. For instance, when approaching Frostvellr. If the camp button is hit immediately before reaching the trigger, the caravan will start to slow down. The caravan hits the trigger and stops 1 pixel before the trigger immediately, and goes into camp. When camp is exited, the travel screen comes up for a brief moment and then Frostveller loads. At this point, the player would no longer be able to save. I have addressed this by changing the way DECAMP works -- DECAMP is waiting for you to load into the old travel scene. It never finishes loading into the old travel scene because it immediately kills the load and starts loading a new scene. I made DECAMP listen for those interrupted and exited scenes. This needs thorough testing because DECAMPing everywhere is affected (towns, camps, etc... Anywhere you hit the "Leave" button)

Aleonymous
07-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Release Notes 2.7.01:

I can confirm that Silver-Arrow with no willpower works fine (I tried only Alette carrying it). There is only a negligible problem: If you activate the Silver-Arrow ability, target Bellower but cancel the action, then you can not directly re-activate it. The workaround is that you have to close the unit-action HUD (e.g. click somewhere on the board) and re-open it (e.g. click on unit) to activate Silver-Arrow again.

The panning-speed thing seems to work fine too. Actually, I didn't notice anything, which I deem good :)

Russian fonts do look prettier. Lets wait and hear what the Russians think.

I didn't test this camping problem. It seems quite difficult to replicate and it never happened to me before. Do we need to be on our toes and click on camp just before entering a major location (where it switches from world-travel to close-travel or to village/town-view)?

By the way, I noticed this possible issue: Kindle, Dredge Stoneguard ability, did not trigger Bring-the-Pain damage (nor RtF, for that matter). I happened in the Bellower fight, on Normal; I got logs the logs if you need them. I'm noting it because I think it used to trigger those damages, before...

John
07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Updated to 2.7.01

Release notes recap:

Bro Fox
07-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Updated to 2.7.01

Release notes recap:

We have already tested the new Russian font for about 2-3 hours, and found no bugs. So far so good.
Thanks for your cooperation, we are very glad! :rolleyes:

Lohengriehn
07-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Hello

Any news on the patch for the gog version? i really look forward to initially start the game in german :-) it gets hard to resist to keep the dmg file untouched on my harddrive ;-)

gripho
07-12-2014, 07:03 AM
It seems there's an issue in chapter 5, that I don't remember having in my previous playthroughs: in the dialogue between Eyvind, Alette and Rook just after Eyvind speaks with Juno in his dream, Jorundr is present in the scene while everyone is talking as if he wasn't there, and he even have a line where he is talking of himself at the third person. Thus I suppose it should be someone else (Krumr?) instead of Jorundr.

Harmoniker
07-16-2014, 06:05 AM
We're making a few more little hotfixes during the course of the week. Once everything is all tidy, we will upload a new build to GOG.
JW

Is the beta test over now? The GOG users waiting curiously....

Fionkisuinte
07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Hello any news about the GOG release ?

John
07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Hello any news about the GOG release ?

Working on that today!

Fionkisuinte
07-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Working on that today!

OK thanks.
Can't wait to see that :)

Harmoniker
07-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Working on that today!

And? Any result?

Harmoniker
07-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Working on that today!

That is not funny! For all new forum readers: Here is a table to convert the SST (Special Stoic Time) to normal time:

next week = in 2 months
maybe tomorrow = in a month
tomorrow = in 2 weeks
today = 1 week or more

Aleonymous
07-30-2014, 08:12 AM
That is not funny! For all new forum readers: Here is a table to convert the SST (Special Stoic Time) to normal time:

next week = in 2 months
maybe tomorrow = in a month
tomorrow = in 2 weeks

Patience is a virtue, especially when dealing with those small projects that have a history of delays (due to several reasons, most prominent among them being the team-with-one-programmer). That's no excuse, I know, but we should not stick to words like "today", "tomorrow" etc. John just wanted to say that he's working on it, and not completely dumped it, is all.

Luckily, they've switched from the SoonTM ETA they were using, for a long time :)

Harmoniker
08-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Sorry, what is going on?
Why is there no reaction from the developers?
Why is Steam more valuable than GOG in the eyes of the developers?

Lohengriehn
08-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Its live on GoG. At least I got a red 1 and installer says 1.1.0. Downloading :-) Thanks@devs.

Fionkisuinte
08-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Just see the update on GoG. Thanks :)

Spitzklicker
08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
It has taken a long time until the translation patch was available on GoG; and it was not easy for me to wait that long. But haste makes waste. So, thanks a lot for that great game and the German version.

choergi
08-13-2014, 04:11 AM
Thx for the GOG.com patch!

zmtd
08-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Hello.

Now that the GOG build has been updated, what about the KS DRM-free build update ?

Yellow
08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
- Gronnulf starts with 2 skill points in Exertion on the tutorial, but later on he has 0 points on that skill.
- Alette has wrong bio after she puts the hood up.
- No varls or fighters join you caravan(add to the total number) when you leave Einarntof, even when the text says that almost half the garrison follows you.
- Udin's caravan don't add any numbers neither to yours when they join you shortly after leaving Einarntof!
- When Rook and Juno go get the silver from the godstone, in the text it says "Rook woke up following Juno", but in the background picture is the other way around, Juno following Rook.

+ Nid starts at level 1(she should starts at level 5 in stead, since she joins so late and there are so little fights left. (not a bug but a suggestion)

/still waiting for that to be addressed.

Ratatoskr
03-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Out of curiosity, was there ever a DRM free patch that I just missed?
Or will I at some point have to give in and play my Steam version instead?

stoicmom
03-25-2015, 08:15 AM
I don't have an answer Ratatoskr, but I am thrilled to see you here :D

John
03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Out of curiosity, was there ever a DRM free patch that I just missed?
Or will I at some point have to give in and play my Steam version instead?

The DRM free version is build 2.7.01

Aleonymous
03-25-2015, 05:23 PM
The DRM free version is build 2.7.01

Just as the current Steam version.

Ratatoskr
03-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I've been a little AWOL. Life and such, and I can only play so much Factions at a time. Good to see there's still a decent community here, through.

Anyway, so, I should just redownload the DRM free version then? Because I haven't downloaded anything since the original link went out.

Although, I don't know what I'd do for my next play through considering that I've already played the version where almost everyone dies (which makes for some interesting battles), the version where almost everyone lives and the original where I was just trying to do the best I could.

Aleonymous
03-28-2015, 03:30 AM
Although, I don't know what I'd do for my next play through considering that I've already played the version where almost everyone dies (which makes for some interesting battles), the version where almost everyone lives and the original where I was just trying to do the best I could.

If you're a bit technically inclined, I would propose you try modding! :) Here's a recent discussion at the Steam-forums (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/558747218082331765/#c618457398955606498) about doing some core-changes to the game, e.g. buffing the difficulty, tweaking the "economy" of the game etc. Oh, and here is the thread (this forum) (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?2038) that sparked the modding talks.

Ratatoskr
03-28-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm afraid technically inclined is pretty much the opposite of what I am. But it's been long enough I probably wouldn't mind just a regular play through, especially if some things have changed.

So.. I downloaded the newest version of the DRM free game, but it's giving me an error when I try to actually play it. When I try to open the application, it tells me that there was an error with steam and I should reinstall it. Anyone else have this problem?

In fact, it looks like this: http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p630/Rtoskr/Kickstart%20Photos/Steam%20Error_zpsbre8hs4y.png

Aleonymous
03-28-2015, 01:00 PM
I don't believe that anything significant has changed, between the release version and the latest one. Mostly bug fixes and the addition of some features like subtitles, difficulty tweaks etc.

Why would the DRM-free version got anything to do with Steam (the DRM "temple" :p)? Do you have both DRM-free and Steam version of the game? Maybe there's some conflict in that case...

Ratatoskr
03-28-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't believe that anything significant has changed, between the release version and the latest one. Mostly bug fixes and the addition of some features like subtitles, difficulty tweaks etc.

Why would the DRM-free version got anything to do with Steam (the DRM "temple" :p)? Do you have both DRM-free and Steam version of the game? Maybe there's some conflict in that case...

I have the steam version but I've never actually installed it so I don't see why it would be an issue, particularly since the original game I downloaded still works fine. I'm literally just clicking the application in the win32 folder exactly like I do with the other one, but I'm getting that weird error instead.

Aleonymous
03-29-2015, 06:07 AM
It definitely sounds like some sort of conflict between the two versions of the game. Even if you haven't installed the Steam version, maybe just being in you library means that it has "left its footprint" on you system (e.g. created a folder in you User-Documents), and is thus confusing the DRM-free version. As with all those problems, you should start with uninstalling and re-installing the game... If that doesn't work, better email support@stoicstudio.com directly, as John will surely provide the solution more promptly than these here guessings and troubleshootings :p

Ratatoskr
03-30-2015, 06:30 PM
True enough. I'll try uninstalling steam and see if that works. I don't think I can uninstall the DRM free version since I never installed it in the first place. It just lives in a folder on my computer. Of course, I can't really uninstall the steam version since I never installed it either, so I should probably just ask for help already.

Particularly since I'm suddenly getting Steam achievements for playing the DRM-free version of the Banner Saga, and there is something very wrong with that.

Aleonymous
04-01-2015, 03:52 AM
Interestingly, I also had some weird issues with my Steam version of TBS1, yesterday: When I clicked to launch the game, it failed opening a windows-error message like "AIR ...blah blah... couldn't initialize components; re-install or contact support". I am pretty sure the game worked fine a week ago, when I last played it, and the only things I might have changed where... some color-mods on Factions' SWFs which worked fine :rolleyes: Checking the integrity of TBS1's file/cache (via Steam) said that some ~25 files failed the test and "have to be re-acquired". Being unable to figure how to re-acquire only those files, I ended up un- and re-installing (re-downloading) the entire game, and everything worked right. I might have had some mods hooked up on TBS1, but nothing I can't easily re-do.

Yellow
06-23-2015, 03:49 AM
I got a couple of "new" bugs to report.

1. There is a misplaced tree in the background(shortly before Onef betrays you)
http://s22.postimg.org/vkr9vdxv1/Untitled.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/vkr9vdxv1/)

2. "Exertion" sometimes gets bugged when your hero has 0 willpower left, even if you use the horn to regain willpower, the character remains unable to use it, as the exertion skill gets stuck on 0 for the current hero until next turn.

Aleonymous
06-23-2015, 04:27 AM
2. "Exertion" sometimes gets bugged when your hero has 0 willpower left, even if you use the horn to regain willpower, the character remains unable to use it, as the exertion treat/skill is stuck on 0.

That sounds serious. It must be some left-over from that Willpower-item bug that surfaced (and was eventually corrected) with the latest patch. Some other guy at the Steam forums mentioned a similar thing, recently. If you got "hard evidence" (e.g. log-files, save-files, maybe a snapshot or video), do email them to John for a check.

Yellow
06-23-2015, 04:51 AM
That sounds serious. It must be some left-over from that Willpower-item bug that surfaced (and was eventually corrected) with the latest patch. Some other guy at the Steam forums mentioned a similar thing, recently. If you got "hard evidence" (e.g. log-files, save-files, maybe a snapshot or video), do email them to John for a check.

I will do another playtrought and take some screenshots, but as far as i remember it is not a recent bug, i remember it happening to me long ago but never bothered to report it back then...

Where do i get log files from?

Aleonymous
06-23-2015, 05:56 AM

Windows: %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\logs\ , where%HOMEPATH% is something like C:\users\<username>

Check the logfile (text file) dates and maybe browse around that path, because I think Stoic have changed the name of the logfile directory with the latest path.

Yellow
06-23-2015, 07:45 AM
Updated my bug list to include screenshots, as well as added a couple of other bugs...

- Gunnulf starts with 2 skill points in Exertion on the tutorial, but later on he has 0 points on that skill.
- Alette has wrong bio after the battle with Bellower, when she puts the hood up.
http://s14.postimg.org/6amob79m5/Untitled.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6amob79m5/)
- After the fight with Bellower, during Alette and Iver conversation, Alette's look is different depending on the perspective(On one she has the hood up, on the other she does not)
http://s23.postimg.org/gf36rkhhz/Untitled.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/gf36rkhhz/)
- No varls or fighters join you caravan(add to the total number) when you leave Einartoft, even when the text says that almost half the garrison follows you.
- Udin's caravan don't add any numbers to yours when they join you shortly after leaving Einartoft!
http://s21.postimg.org/thdq7cryb/Untitled2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/thdq7cryb/)
- There is a typo when talking to Tryggvi the first time(after leaving SKOGR) He says that we should not trust men with helmets, that they look at "your"(should be you) trough their helmet and lie....
http://s21.postimg.org/4ovqh5h8j/typo.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4ovqh5h8j/)
- The camp screen does not match the composition of your caravan: Sometimes you have 0 valrs but on the camp screen there are several displayed; sometimes you have more varls than humans, but on the camp screen there is 100 humans for each valr, etc.
http://s21.postimg.org/6vzz52mir/unmatching_description_and_picture.png (http://postimg.org/image/6vzz52mir/)
- The "far travel" caravan on the background, does not match the actual caravan composition(even if your caravan has varls, clansmen and fighters, only one type is displayed on the background picture)(this is hard to notice because of the small size, but once noticeable it breaks immersion)
http://s7.postimg.org/tuel284p3/the_banner_saga_2014_01_17_15_59_23_46.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/tuel284p3/)
- There is a misplaced tree in the background(shortly before Onef betrays you)
http://s22.postimg.org/vkr9vdxv1/Untitled.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/vkr9vdxv1/)
- "Exertion" sometimes gets bugged when your hero has 0 willpower left, even if you use the horn to regain willpower, the character remains unable to use it, as the exertion skill gets stuck on 0 for the current hero until next turn.

+ Nid starts at level 1(she should starts at level 3-5 in stead, since she joins so late and there are so little fights left. (All other Characters that join so late into the game start maxed out already)(not necessarily a bug but rather a suggestion)

PS:
With the upcoming release of The Banner Saga 1 on PS Vita and PS4, it would be a good chance to polish the first game some more before the upcoming release of The Banner Saga 2...

Yellow
10-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Any news regarding the bugs from my previous post?

Yellow
10-28-2015, 06:37 AM
¿ O_o ?

avguste
11-04-2015, 01:13 PM
I just got the game and I am getting the same error.

stoicmom
11-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Would suggest you send that error to help@stoicstudio.com or john@stoicstudio.com :D

avguste
11-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Issue was fixed with a simple restart of the computer

Yellow
11-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Issue was fixed with a simple restart of the computer

What issue?

Aleonymous
11-07-2015, 04:30 AM
What issue?

avguste had a problem starting the game client. Apparently it was some random malfunction of Steam and/or this system.

Spat Bandit
01-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Really happy to see the difficulty curve improved! any and all fixes are welcome too!

Alem
11-13-2017, 03:27 AM
When a last patch available via Steam will be release on GOG?

Aleonymous
11-18-2017, 05:36 PM
When a last patch available via Steam will be release on GOG?

Hi there and sorry for the late reply. Which patch are you referring to? GOG patches usually follow up on Steam after a couple of weeks (or months, at most).

Alem
11-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Hi there and sorry for the late reply. Which patch are you referring to? GOG patches usually follow up on Steam after a couple of weeks (or months, at most).
The GOG version is 2.36.16, via steam available 2.42.50

StoicProducer
11-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Hi Alem, we're currently working on integrating with GoG Galaxy to add some of the additional features available with that platform (Achievements/Leaderboards) so that's why it's a little behind! We also have a shared codebase between the trilogy of games, so some of our work on Saga3 required us to do bugfixing of Saga1 and Saga2 before they were in a release-able state. GoG has also made it easier for devs to upload builds automatically so that should help us keep our GoG players up to date with Steam because we love them and we want them to be happy :D (So, the answer is soooooooon!)

Khatie
11-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Hi Henly, would you be able to share a screenshot of what you mean, please? You can send it to support@stoicstudio.com. Thanks! :)