PDA

View Full Version : New Banner Saga Update + Notes

Myll_Erik
04-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Greetings!

We’re releasing a rather large update for The Banner Saga and it includes the Linux + SteamOS versions of the game. We know it took a while, but we had to do things the right way rather than rush anything out. This update is already live via Steam with DRM Free sites getting the update within a couple of weeks. We're also happy to be having a 50% off sale for the weekend to accompany this update!

We’re happy were the Linux + SteamOS turned out. We've tested primarily on SteamOS Beta and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. If you have any issues on your system, please contact us at help-linux@stoicstudio.com.

We are very pleased with the way the game feels when played with a gamepad. We tested with the primary 4 controllers: Xbox One, Xbox 360, Playstation DualShock 3, and Playstation DualShock 4. We also tested with a variety of generic gamepads. However, if you use an unrecognized controller, you still might be able to configure it when prompted by the game. If you do this successfully, please contact us at help-gamepad@stoicstudio.com so that we can incorporate your configuration into the game for everyone else.

The Steam Cloud saves will help ensure that your save games are more permanent and available for The Banner Saga 2. When you start the game for the first time, the game will automatically upload your old save games into the Steam Cloud.

Here are the Major Points and Release Notes for this build

Main Points
· Linux + SteamOS
· Big Picture
· Full Gamepad
· Steam Cloud Saves

Release Notes
· Ported the game to Linux and SteamOS
· Added Steam Big Picture support
· Added Gamepad support for Xbox and Playstation compatible controllers
· Graphical renderer completely rewritten and optimized using Starling and Stage3d for Windows and Mac OS X platforms. This puts more load on your GPU, instead of the CPU. You can still use the old renderer by adding the command line option "starling=false" without the quotes.
· Added zooming with mouse wheel
· Fix issue preventing achievements earned in offline play from uploading to Steam when Steam finally reconnects
· Fix issue with the silver arrow
· Fix issue causing Silver Arrow to be unusable in the Bellower Fight
· Hero Stat upgrade GUI improved with new 'add' and 'subtract' buttons
· Fix several grammar and spelling issues
· Fix issue where Egil is still available for fight after being betrayed
· Battle Horn no longer deducts stars if they cannot be used on the active hero
· Command line options format has changed. See the Developer Cheatsheet for more information.

Enjoy Folks!

spicykorean
04-17-2015, 12:42 AM
The Silver Arrow fix will probably help many frustrated players.

Also, let's all be ready to welcome new players taking advantage of the Steam sale!

Aleonymous
04-17-2015, 02:30 AM
· Steam Cloud Saves
· Graphical renderer completely rewritten and optimized using Starling and Stage3d for Windows and Mac OS X platforms. This puts more load on your GPU, instead of the CPU. You can still use the old renderer by adding the command line option "starling=false" without the quotes.
· Added zooming with mouse wheel
· Hero Stat upgrade GUI improved with new 'add' and 'subtract' buttons
· Command line options format has changed. See the Developer Cheatsheet for more information.

Yay! :) Sounds like a weekend full of TBS. I salute the Cloud-Save feature, while I don't care much for the rest. I am curious to see how the new graphics renderer behaves: Will the load times be shorter? Will the game play smoother? We're just gonna have to test and see!

Also, let's all be ready to welcome new players taking advantage of the Steam sale!

That will do!

cojonuo
04-18-2015, 04:00 AM
Good job guys!. I have a question, I saw the asset-rc distributed with the ContentMod DLC didn't updated, ¿some plan about it? I'm working on a translation and I see that the locate json files was changed (at leas his modification date) in the original asset directory.

Yellow
04-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Awesome stuff!

I do have a question however,

- Gronnulf starts with 2 skill points in Exertion on the tutorial, but later on he has 0 points on that skill.
- Alette has wrong bio after she puts the hood up.
- No varls or fighters join you caravan(add to the total number) when you leave Einarntof, even when the text says that almost half the garrison follows you.
- Udin's caravan don't add any numbers neither to yours when they join you shortly after leaving Einarntof!
- When Rook and Juno go get the silver from the godstone, in the text it says "Rook woke up following Juno", but in the background picture is the other way around, Juno following Rook.

+ Nid starts at level 1(she should starts at level 5 in stead, since she joins so late and there are so little fights left. (not a bug but a suggestion)

any of that fixed/addressed?

Aleonymous
04-20-2015, 03:23 AM
Controller works perfect :) Even my crappy no-name PS4-style one, that never works for Steam games without an emulator (e.g. x360ce). However, why would anyone in their right minds wanna play this game with a controller :confused: I didn't test the cloud-save feature, but the game seems to be updating each time I exit it, so I figure it works. Also, graphic rendered seems to be working smoother now, and the zoom-in/out feature is also handy.

There's currently some problems related to rendering fonts or videos on Linux; some guys reported a workaround here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/618459405720505638/?tscn=1429481283). Some other guys mentioned a "battle freezing" bug, here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/discussions/0/618459405722005526/). The biggest temporary bug is that the Horn is unusable, which makes the game so much different, more difficult, bug interestingly challenging for experienced players! Other small bugs include some strange stat-changes for Hakon and STR-damage indicators displaying incorrect damage that doesn't include Puncture in the battle GUI. All these should be fixed within the week.

@Yellow -- I haven't checked everything, but I didn't notice any such changes to the game, so I do not think they addressed those (surely not the Gunnulf and Alette ones).

j4yj4y
04-23-2015, 04:05 PM
I was playing through the game yesterday and encountered an issue that I was unable to resolve.

No matter the battle, I was unable to click the battle horn to add Willpower to any of my troops. The stars would start to collect and if I clicked the large star, an animation would show but no willpower would be awarded an the usual horn sound would not play. This lead to a number of encounters being very difficult as that mechanic of the game just didn't work.

I see in the patch notes:

· Battle Horn no longer deducts stars if they cannot be used on the active hero

It doesn't speak to my issue exactly but I figured I would ask if anybody else has experienced this. Thanks!

JJ Stonebraker

Aleonymous
04-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Hello JJ. This Horn bug has been reported, yes, and will be soon fixed with a hotfix/patch :) I assume this happened only on previously-saved games you loaded, right? Because, if you start a fresh game, the horn works fine after it is formally "introduced" (at the end of Chapter 1).

spicykorean
04-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Boy that's annoying as heck!!!

j4yj4y
04-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Hello JJ. This Horn bug has been reported, yes, and will be soon fixed with a hotfix/patch :) I assume this happened only on previously-saved games you loaded, right? Because, if you start a fresh game, the horn works fine after it is formally "introduced" (at the end of Chapter 1).

That's correct. It was a previous saved game that we loaded up that had the problem with. Good to know it's a known bug and is working to be fixed. Thanks!