PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Fray in The Banner Saga: Factions beta test!

Sean
11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Hello everyone! The team has been hard at work getting beta to a solid state and we think we've now done that.

Our new Factions video is up! It's over 5 minutes of new footage and in-depth walk-throughs of combat, tactics, and character progression in The Banner Saga: Factions (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/the-banner-saga-factions.php). Keep in mind, everything you see here is how combat is developing for the single player game as well.

7XuJe9kvTjg

Know any friends who would like to be involved in the beta but missed the campaign? We're not quite ready to take pre-orders yet but feel free to send them to our updated website where they can find our Beta signup.

http://stoicstudio.com/images/blog/enter-the-fray-newsupdate.jpg (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/enter-the-fray.php)

For those of you in testing (or just interested), this has been a long and fruitful week for new content. In additional to a global chat window in Strand, we've added two new classes (the Backbiter and Siege Archer), character promotion, a tutorial on every page (press the ? button in the lower right), and a slew of little player-requested features, like the ability to r-click and remove points from a character one at a time. Check it out and see what you think!

Our fantastic Backers have also been writing up a storm on the forums and compiled a helpful all-inclusive guide to the game, which you can find here (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?400-Look-here-before-posting-List-of-Guides-Suggestions-amp-Discussions). Thanks a lot to all the regulars on the forums!

We've been adding every Backer who has requested beta access since the last update. If you are currently a Kickstarter Backer but do not have access, here are the things to know.

First, make sure you have a Stoic Community account. If you do not have one, make sure you register (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/register.php) with the exact same email address you had when you pledged to the Kickstarter.

Once you register, keep your eyes peeled for a verification email to confirm your account. Until it is confirmed, it will not upgrade. This will come from "mail@stoicstudio.com" so make sure you add it to your address book so it doesn't accidentally get put in your spam folder.

Beta Access is not immediate, the team generates new keys in batches. Once your account is upgraded, you will enter the queue to get a testing code. We do these often so it shouldn't take too long.

Once generated, you can quickly access your testing key by going to your profile (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile) and look under the "Beta Testing Information" section.

For more information (once you get your testing key), see this copy of the email in the forums: Congratulations! You're in [Download Instructions Included!] (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?364-Congratulations!-You-re-in-Download-Instructions-Included!)

If you have recently registered, but do not see your name as "green" (here's an example (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/member.php?97-Ratatoskr) of how it should look when you look at "My Profile" in the top navigation when logged in) or if you're having any other issue, let us know (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/sendmessage.php)!

To all our American backers, enjoy Thanksgiving week! For everyone else, we hope to see you soon in the game or on the forums. Thanks!

Halsy
11-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I registered and confirmed and my name is still not green.

raven2134
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi, are you a backer?or a paid tester? Paid testers will get their own unique forum ID color soon. You won't have a green Id unless you were a kickstarter.

Halsy
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
No, I'm not a backer. It just said to come here to sign up for a beta but the join link only wants you to pay. So do you have to pay for this thing or not?

Halsy
11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
You do realize that the way this invitation is structured means you're currently engaging in fraud, don't you? Bait-and-switch is very much actionable. I'd suggest you remedy this immediately before the authorities have to get involved.

raven2134
11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Its not a bait and switch if you don't pay for what you don't get? If you paid and didn't get anything I would understand how that would be legally sactionable. This is a paid open beta.

Sean
11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
You do realize that the way this invitation is structured means you're currently engaging in fraud, don't you? Bait-and-switch is very much actionable. I'd suggest you remedy this immediately before the authorities have to get involved.

There is no bait-and-switch here. It is clearly explained well before you get to any window where you're entering any billing information: http://stoicstudio.com/forum/enter-the-fray.php

Furthermore, a bait-and-switch would be something like saying "Join for the low cost of $9" and then saying "Aww, we're out but you can get an Exclusive Pack for just 3 monthly payments of $19.99". The ONLY price you will see is the the $15 you see on the only pay where you are linked to where you can purchase a code. And again, you are clearly explained the price and why it is there before you are brought to a billing screen.

Frusciante
11-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Asking 15 dollars to participate in an open beta test for an upcoming free to play title....???

I like you guys, the game looks great, but this is ridiculous. I mean the game releases in one month for free and you're trying to make some quick buck by charging for an open beta test? Charging for betas seems to be a new trend and is even worse then day one dlc's and badly done microtransactions.

I don't know what to say, I was fine with 'ethical' microtransactions but this all seems to be a little to money grabby to me. Also if I allready have to pay to test a game, what will I have to pay later on in the 'free-to-play' multiplayer?

raven2134
11-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Your paying to play now. When the multiplayer goes live, any transactions will be for renown, which is used to buy or upgrade characters, for cosmetic changes, and for items as well as other things they might think of. Renown is also earned from Kills. If your not comfortable with it, you just need to wait a month. As they explained they're making it a paid beta to be fair to their KS backers, and also to help encourage that the players that do sign up are as interested and invested in the game as the community they attracted through the KS.

balder
11-20-2012, 05:04 AM
+1 for raven2134, it really is a worthwhile point as well. The game has a fairly steep learning curve and there is no use for beta players who just play a game or two without actually learning. This will only make it harder to get even matches and stress the limits of the game. As balancing is so important, it would be a shame if not as many as possible of the potential always-win builds are found.

apoxwrhthrio1980
11-20-2012, 05:13 AM
So this isn't the free to play Factions just it's paid beta? I'm really confused :confused:

balder
11-20-2012, 05:26 AM
apoxwrhthrio1980, for Kickstarter backers the Beta is free to play. For new people who want to get a sneak peek, help test the game, hone their skills before launch, it's at the cost of $15. For that, you get two beta keys, Veteran gem to your banner and early access to updates further down the line. The argument for this has been stated but everything can be read here:
http://stoicstudio.com/forum/enter-the-fray.php .

Sean: Maybe you could change the link for the 'join up' image in the post. It currently doesn't lead to the 'enter the fray'-page which can be confusing...

apoxwrhthrio1980
11-20-2012, 05:43 AM
From what i've read and what the devs were saying i understood that the Factions game will be online early this November and it will be a free-to-play online game featuring the battle system of the final Banner Saga game and that you could pay only to buy renown if you wanted. Inever heared anything about paid beta. Obviously I understood wrong. Thanx for the clarification balder.

PS: paying beta is really lame :(

Frusciante
11-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Your paying to play now. If your not comfortable with it, you just need to wait a month. As they explained they're making it a paid beta to be fair to their KS backers, and also to help encourage that the players that do sign up are as interested and invested in the game as the community they attracted through the KS.

Yes I've read that and dont buy it. Kickstarters pledged to get the singleplayer game, multiplayer wasnt even planned untill after they got a huge amount of extra money. SO why would it be unfair to KS backers? There is a balance for Kickstarter games to appease the backers while at the same time dont let new customers feel like they're unwelcome. An open beta should be open (that is without a fee of 15 dollars for one month) for everyone.

They can dress it up however they like, but its still just a way to raise some more money. Raising money is not wrong necessarily, they are a company afterall. An open beta is however not the way to make money. Creating an open and active community is very important for multiplayer F2P titles. You said they only want people in the open beta that are as invested as kickstarter backers. I think they should get as much people to try their game as possible. Some people will like it and get invested, other won't.

Not that this is a complete disaster, it just doesnt feel very welcoming to me as a non-backer. Like I said before, the game looks great and the banner saga people are probably very nice people. But having to pay 15 dollars for the open beta of an indie f2p multiplayer game seems overly greedy to me.

raven2134
11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
They announced the F2P multiplayer during the KS. One of the perks that was announced midway, was being part of the beta for the F2P multiplayer. Just clarifying that. It's true that it's a bit odd I suppose, however I don't see how you can call the developers greedy...considering that they aren't taking a salary from any of the funds pledged to them during the KS, and they aren't again taking any of the money from those joining the beta by paying for the access as profit or salary even. Any funding goes into game development, not the bank. No reason to think of them like EA.

Veringatorix
11-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Having not read the signup process I have no comment on that. I think it's not unreasonable to charge for a beta at all. In addition to the points previously outlined by several people I would like to stress that paying is ENTIRELY optional. The funds generated by those excited enough to pay to get into the game quicker I'm sure will be used to make the whole experience better for all players. If you don't agree with the price tag, don't opt into the beta, quite simple really. Calling the developers greedy because they choose to charge for early entrance and a chance to help shape the game is absurd in the extreme considering the lack of salaries from the generated money as well as the hard work these guys have put into this of their own free will.

Troll
11-20-2012, 09:53 AM
This is simply called suporting a game with an early access. While it may sound a bit expensive, particularly for a F2P, this is a good way to potentially raise some funds to further enbetter the game.

Maybe there should be a clarification between open beta and the current model sicne they are different, but you know what you pay for.

KRD
11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
An open beta should be open (that is without a fee of 15 dollars for one month) for everyone.

I get that people might be disappointed to find out beta access wasn't free (as in beer), some of my mates who didn't pledge on Kickstarter were too. But I don't think you know what open beta really means. Wikipedia to the rescue:

Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.

Emphasis mine.

Rymdkejsaren
11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
I am not a huge fan of paid betas either.

I am however a huge fan of freedom of choice. So in the name of public service I have designed this little guide which will help you decide. It assumes you have $15 to spend.

Question 1:

Do you want to pay $15 for the goods and services described here (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/enter-the-fray.php)?

If your answer is YES, click here (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/enter-the-fray.php) and complete the transaction.
If your answer is NO, do not complete the transaction.

Thank you for using RK's guide to freedom of choice.

Frusciante
11-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Freedom of choice of course has nothing to do with this. I'm dissapointed in the decision to go for a paid beta. The fact that I don't have to particpate in the beta at all doesnt change that. But I get what you mean, if I dont like it I can just leave. And this is exactly my point, this paid beta comes across as unwelcoming to me.

Related to this is this snippet I saw on the beta page:

''Receive the same future multiplayer updates that will be given to kickstarter backers, including early acces to new classes, production updates, expansion content and more''

I'm not sure exactly how to interpret this, but will this also mean the backers will continue to get early acces to classes after factions releases properly? Backers of course should get rewards for pledging, but in my opinion they should not be given privileges in the final game that new customers dont have. Since in a multiplayer game the community is very important, both new and old customers should be treated equally in the sence that no group has a permanent structural advantage over the other. Creating two groups of customers does not create a good community and does not welcome new customers.

Since you're all backers and Banner Saga fans of course you're going to defend Stoic and disagree with me. But still, don't you agree that it is important to create a level playing field for both backers and new customers?

Rymdkejsaren
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I agree with you in that I think Stoic should not have charged for the beta of a game that will later be released free. But they chose to handle it that way as to not put out their Kickstarter backers. That is the situation and that leaves you with the choices in my nifty guide.

As for receiving classes ahead of others, it will not give you an ingame advantage the way you might think. Classes are all (going to be) balanced in power level, so you will be quite able to have a valid team build even if you do not have access to the latest released class. So some people will get a sneak peak on the new classes.

Following the suit of other similar games, I assume a class will not be available for ranked play until it is released for everyone.

Quidman
11-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm also agree that 15$ is a little too much, because, if we paid that, we also don't have the single player game (we should paid a second time) bakers have both for 10$, I can understand that they have more, but here, I think it's a little too much difference. Because we don't really get something : since faction is ended, it becomes free, and we lose all advantage (except the proud of participate to this adventures) and it seem's to be like throwing money out of the window.

I'm also agree that, if there's an other advantage later, that's not a good idea. As said by Frusciante if there's penalty for new costumer (and may be some of them would have participate to kickstarter campaign if they discover them before his end...) they may feel spoiled.

One solution, is to give to people who rejoined this beta, 15$ of credit (or even 10$) as if they paid this money in faction when he's released (and in that case, I don't care if backer have the same advantage or not).

PS: sorry for my poor english, I hope i'm understandable enough.

raven2134
11-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Fusciante, the premise of the kickstarter was to raise funds to be able to make the game possible. The access to new classes and other such content aren't just for backers actually, but for anyone who will also buy the single player game. The perk we backers get for having supported and made the game possible, is the single player game when it comes out, and the access to the additional content in the multiplayer game because we paid for the single player.

Right now, for the multiplayer, the backers and paid testers, will get a 1 week headstart before the final multiplayer game goes live for the public. This means we keep our renown, characters and whatever progress gained over that week, into the live.

The sneak peak and whatever else mentioned to be the same as backers pertains to receiving updates and news, who knows, maybe a perk or two as the game develops, it's not necessarily content for the multiplayer game. They're not creating two communities. They're trying to get you into the same loop as the backers.

I believe they have a legitimate right to limit in a fair way, the content in the free multiplayer, to give you that incentive for buying the single player, since that was really their objective.

I do agree with the sentiment that, rather than have the $15 pay just for beta access, it could have been used for the pre ordering the single player and then also grant you beta access. They did not do this because they not yet have a firm release date, and possibly also because though you get the idea, the single player game may be different than what you expect from the beta. Whatever the case, they decided against taking pre orders for now, and instead chose the paid beta.

Just clarifying.

Rymdkejsaren
11-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Remember matchmaking is based on your team renown. You will not be fighting people more powerful than you point-wise ever.

Flickerdart
11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
New units won't automatically make you win everything forever. A player that knows what they're doing will be able to win battles with teams identical to what was in 1.0 beta, while a player that has no idea what they're doing won't win just because of the Siege Archers and Backbiters at their disposal. New units mean new options - for instance, a unit that creates impassable squares makes a 5-archer team plausible - but options aren't win buttons.
As for paid beta, it makes sense to me. Stoic is offering a free game. Stoic is also offering early access for people that don't want to wait for the free game. Just because you don't want to wait doesn't mean you're entitled to get it free whenever you want. It's pretty self-evident that Stoic needs absolutely no help in establishing a community for the game, and once it goes live, there will be even more people here.
Don't like it? Just wait.

Quidman
11-21-2012, 03:36 AM
Thank you raven2134 for your explanation, it's more clear about what we can have now.

Flickerdart, the problem isn't paying for the beta access (I think Fusciante is agree with me), it's just that it's seem's to be too much for "don't have to wait one week". And really, if I wasn't short of money I certainly buy it just for the developers because this game look really great! (yes 15$ its not so much, but in the consideration that I also have to buy the game later).

But yet, 15$ for one week of game before the others? (if your intention is to buy the singleplayer game whatever the quality of faction is, that mean that)

And it's easy to said "don't like it? just wait" but I think it's not the problem, and it's not a really constructive (or respectfull) argument. If it was so obvious, we didn't speak about that here.

Flickerdart
11-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Flickerdart, the problem isn't paying for the beta access (I think Fusciante is agree with me), it's just that it's seem's to be too much for "don't have to wait one week". And really, if I wasn't short of money I certainly buy it just for the developers because this game look really great! (yes 15$ its not so much, but in the consideration that I also have to buy the game later).

It's not a week. You get to keep stuff from the last week of the beta, but it will last longer than that.

Frusciante
11-21-2012, 11:42 AM
New units won't automatically make you win everything forever. A player that knows what they're doing will be able to win battles with teams identical to what was in 1.0 beta, while a player that has no idea what they're doing won't win just because of the Siege Archers and Backbiters at their disposal. New units mean new options - for instance, a unit that creates impassable squares makes a 5-archer team plausible - but options aren't win buttons.
As for paid beta, it makes sense to me. Stoic is offering a free game. Stoic is also offering early access for people that don't want to wait for the free game. Just because you don't want to wait doesn't mean you're entitled to get it free whenever you want. It's pretty self-evident that Stoic needs absolutely no help in establishing a community for the game, and once it goes live, there will be even more people here.
Don't like it? Just wait.

I don't like the word entitled in this context. It is true that some people on the internet can feel unjustified entitled when it comes to games. But what you're doing is calling people entitled just because there is a little bit of criticism on your beloved game.

What you're saying about winning forever is an extreme hyperbole. Having instant win buttons or not is also not the point. If you've played competetive online games before you know that having more options in games like this can be very important. For example new skills or professions in guild wars would often completely change the builds that were used in the competivive scene. So its not that the new units are not balanced, it's that early acces to new classes gives certain players an advantage. The advantage is not in the fact that some classes might be overpowered or not but because some people get to know the classes sooner then the rest of the competetive scene.

About the community, obviously there is a very strong backer community allready which is great. However, it would also be great if plenty of new customers join in. For these new customers I think it is important that they don't feel like there is a big part of the community that gets all kinds of priviliges.

As a non-backer, thats just how I feel about this. I dont think I'm being unreasonable and I know I'm not entitled about anything.

Edit: If the multiplayer priviliges are rewards for the sinleplayer game like Raven2134 says, it makes a lot more sense. What does remain then is the problem that I can't pre-order the singleplayer game yet and the multiplayer will be released substantially before the singleplayer. So then again, the only option is to pay 15 dollars for a one month beta. Also people who are only interested in the multiplayer will still be at a disadvantage. I can live with that however since no game can be entirely free and people need incentives to buy the singleplayer.

raven2134
11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Then just buy the single player when it comes out to get access to the units. The single player is their objective. The perk for owning the single player is early access to the units.

How is this different but more customer friendly than a trading card game. Yet people don't complain when decks are updated...why cos that's the game and that's the business.

Edit: read the edit.

Frusciante
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Did you miss the last paragraph in my post Raven?

raven2134
11-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Previous post edited. Your edit had not come up when I read it. Of note dota 2 and mechwarrior online, are also open paid betas that will be free on release.

Rymdkejsaren
11-22-2012, 06:27 AM
DotA 2 does not charge for beta.

http://www.dota2.com/survey/experience/

You fill in that and you get an invite in a couple of weeks or so. Or you ask a tester, they get invites all the time. I have 4 lying around if anyone is interested.

[edit] Well seems I was wrong, you CAN pay for DotA 2. Which is weird becuase getting a key is super easy by applying on the link above or getting one from testers.[/I]

Troll
11-22-2012, 08:23 AM
DotA 2 does not charge for beta.

http://www.dota2.com/survey/experience/

You fill in that and you get an invite in a couple of weeks or so. Or you ask a tester, they get invites all the time. I have 4 lying around if anyone is interested.

[edit] Well seems I was wrong, you CAN pay for DotA 2. Which is weird becuase getting a key is super easy by applying on the link above or getting one from testers.[/I]

It did up until a few weeks / months ago and it wasn't cheap.
You can easily get keys for it now, but 5 months ago it was qutie hard, and around Chirstmas last year is was a rare commodity. Some players who got tradable copies traded a single copy for sometimes more thna a 100$ worth of games.

The thing is, unlike Stoic's TBS:F, Valve's DOTA2 has been running as beta for much longer, and still is.

SchierkeWiking
11-22-2012, 09:02 AM
If I understand this correctly, paying players will get exclusive classes for the FTP multiplayer?

If that's true, there goes any semblance of balance or competetiveness in the game. One thing is to sell cosmetic stuff, or faster access to things you can still obtain for free eventually and you you may say "but all classes will be equaly poweful!", but that doesn't make it true. Balance in an strategy based video game is very, very hard to achieve. And with such a small team balance will be even more difficult to accomplish.

Really sad, I tought that this being an indie game it would have system like that of TF2 or LoL.

Rymdkejsaren
11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
If I understand this correctly, paying players will get exclusive classes for the FTP multiplayer?

If that's true, there goes any semblance of balance or competetiveness in the game. One thing is to sell cosmetic stuff, or faster access to things you can still obtain for free eventually and you you may say "but all classes will be equaly poweful!", but that doesn't make it true. Balance in an strategy based video game is very, very hard to achieve. And with such a small team balance will be even more difficult to accomplish.

Really sad, I tought that this being an indie game it would have system like that of TF2 or LoL.

The classes will not be exclusive, but they will be availble earlier if you are a kickstarter or paid for beta. I am guessing/hoping that they will not be available for ranked play until they are released to the public.

SchierkeWiking
11-22-2012, 10:11 AM
The classes will not be exclusive, but they will be availble earlier if you are a kickstarter or paid for beta. I am guessing/hoping that they will not be available for ranked play until they are released to the public.

The final part of this interview:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/02/of-banners-sagas-microtransactions-and-balance/

Makes it sound like some classes would only be unlockable in the single player, therefore those who don't buy it won't have them in the multiplayer.

Am I reading it wrong?

I know the developers have to make money, that's the whole point, but having "premium" content that affects gameplay and balance is usually a sign of iffy FTP games.

Rymdkejsaren
11-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I stand corrected, you will get some units in Factions if you buy the single player chapters. However this is not anywhere close to a pay-to-win type of scenario. Remember matchmaking is still balanced by team points and so the characters you do not have available to you if you pay nothing are not more powerful, simply different.

If you want the full game content available to you, you will have to pay. I am not certain what the problem is with this.

Net1
11-22-2012, 12:25 PM
So, Factions will never be released as a free to play game?

raven2134
11-22-2012, 12:32 PM
It will be, slated for mid-december. For free.

SchierkeWiking
11-22-2012, 01:29 PM
I stand corrected, you will get some units in Factions if you buy the single player chapters. However this is not anywhere close to a pay-to-win type of scenario. Remember matchmaking is still balanced by team points and so the characters you do not have available to you if you pay nothing are not more powerful, simply different.

If you want the full game content available to you, you will have to pay. I am not certain what the problem is with this.

Only if balance is 100% perfect. And no game has ever been perfectly balanced. Having more options will always be an advantage unless the other classes are extremely similar to ones everyone has or if they are underpowered.

Let's put it this way, everything else being equal who will have a better chance to reach the highest ranks of multiplayer?, those with the free classes or those with all the classes?, more ability for adaptation and strategies is an advantage. Period.

Of course as with any game the Devs can do whatever they want and charge for whatever they want. But for an indie Dev that went for crowndfunding the "if you pay you get an advantage in multiplayer" is rather dissapointing for me. I guess it's not right kind of game for me.

Rymdkejsaren
11-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Only if balance is 100% perfect. And no game has ever been perfectly balanced. Having more options will always be an advantage unless the other classes are extremely similar to ones everyone has or if they are underpowered.

I do not see that the impossibilty of making a 100% balanced game strenghtens your argument. The imbalance could go either way (favouring free units or non-free units), and thus the point is moot. Although having fewer options will certainly give you a smaller variety of team builds available, there is no proof that those builds will be any less viable. Let me put it this way instead: do you think it will be impossible to create a team that lets you win games with only free units? That is in essence what you are saying.

Let's put it this way, everything else being equal who will have a better chance to reach the highest ranks of multiplayer?, those with the free classes or those with all the classes?, more ability for adaptation and strategies is an advantage. Period.

Of course as with any game the Devs can do whatever they want and charge for whatever they want. But for an indie Dev that went for crowndfunding the "if you pay you get an advantage in multiplayer" is rather dissapointing for me. I guess it's not right kind of game for me.

I think the skilled players will reach the highest ranks. I think there will be players up top with all kinds of team builds.

The game is F2P, but to unlock the full content you have to pay. What F2P game does not work like this? It sounds to me that you simply want the whole game to be free. How does that make sense?

Quidman
11-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't think the problem is about paying, but that here, for that case, paying didn't give you anything special if you intend to buy the single player game...

Troll
11-22-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't think the problem is about paying, but that here, for that case, paying didn't give you anything special if you intend to buy the single player game...

For now the only advantage I'd see apart from the early access and the self satisfaction of supporting a dev team you like, would be the ability to influence the SP game developement with feedback the beta. It's more of a collective "reward" than a personnal one though.

Ratatoskr
11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Based on this quote:
''Receive the same future multiplayer updates that will be given to kickstarter backers, including early acces to new classes, production updates, expansion content and more''
It almost sounds like anyone who pays for Beta actually is going to get the classes and things that kickstarter backers will get, so only the people who don't pay for beta would be unequal so to speak and that would be free-to-play.
But I could be interpreting that wrong getting that they haven't clarified these things anywhere that I've seen.

tals
11-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Speaking as a very new player, this was one kick starter game I wish I had kickstartered so very happy to support it in this way. Played a couple of hours so far and it pretty much meets the expectations set by RPS a few weeks ago. For those interested games appear to last around the 20 minute mark so about right.

mjstarkweather
12-23-2012, 09:03 PM
For Christmas, bought a couple of friends of mine beta keys; very happy holidays for them

sweetjer
12-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Based on this quote:
It almost sounds like anyone who pays for Beta actually is going to get the classes and things that kickstarter backers will get, so only the people who don't pay for beta would be unequal so to speak and that would be free-to-play.
But I could be interpreting that wrong getting that they haven't clarified these things anywhere that I've seen.

Speculation: it says early access to classes so I think that means they'll let paid beta supporters access testing phase for new classes for balancing purposes, but those supporters will likely have to earn the new classes through the single player to play them in the official Factions client like everyone else (this is my understanding of how class additions will work after the initial classes are released, correct me if I'm wrong).