PDA

View Full Version : Where are you coming from, as in game genre?

hannibal
05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Personally, I love tactical RPGs.

Baldur's Gate 2 is my alltime favorite, though I pretty much like all the Infinity games.

On consoles, I still play games like Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem.

The Banner Saga especially reminds me a bit of the PSP game 'Jeanne D'Arc' a tactical RPG with cell shading graphics and anime story sequences. The PSP has in my opinion a pretty bad game base, but Jeanne D'Arc is a great game. Made me love the concept of the Banner Saga, at least.

Ratatoskr
05-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I actually play almost anything, except most FPS. But I have a particularly weakness for tactical RPGs as well, action RPGs and adventure games. And Baldur's Gate was good times, I still replay the first one once in awhile.

Sean
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Hmmm, I'm a little bit all over the board. I love the old TBS games (Master of Magic, HoMM, Age of Wonders, etc) but also RPGs (Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate), FPSs (FEAR, Counter-Strike, CoD), RTS (AoE, Starcraft), and a huge multiplayer fan (League of Legends, and a variety of MMOs).

I guess I'm just an all-around gamer - if its a good game, I play it ;)

Flickerdart
05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Yessss Jeanne d'Arc. Pretty much the only reason I still have my PSP.

I'm very much a turn-based RPG guy, but I also branch out into turn-based strategy (Civilization, Total War) as well as action RPGs (Elder Scrolls, Divinity II). Plus D&D, because you're not really having fun until someone throws the party gnome at the orcs, and scores a critical hit.

opifex
05-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I'll just step into the confessional and admit that I don't play a whole lot of video games. Part of this comes from being a longtime Mac owner and having built up the assumption that cool games cannot be played on my system (not really true anymore, but I'm still startled when I see something I actually want to play ported to Mac). That said I like turn-based RPGs for the most part. I also like 2-D fighters, but I really only play those when with friends.

A lot of my gaming comes in the pencil and paper RP format. D&D, Warhammer 40k's Dark Heresy, and Cthulhu Tech being my game groups systems of choice.

Plus D&D, because you're not really having fun until someone throws the party gnome at the orcs, and scores a critical hit.

I've never had this happen, but I always count any time that I can get the GM to stare and say, "You do what?" to be a win.

Kaffis
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Like Sean, I'm a genre flirt. I've played and enjoyed at least something from just about everything, though it's hard to hold my interest with a driving game.

Old-school platformers (Mario, Metroid, Megaman, Super Empire Strikes Back), Flight and Space Sims (Knights of the Sky, Crimson Skies, TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, Privateer), Turn Based Strategy (Civilization all the way back to 1, Master of Orions, most recently Crusader Kings 2 -- pauseable counts as turn-based, right?), Turn Based Tactical (X-COM: UFO Defense, Jagged Alliance, Valkyria Chronicles, Frozen Synapse), Real Time Strategy (WarCraft 2&3, StarCraft 1&2, Age of Empires), First Person Shooters (Doom, Dark Forces/Jedi Knights, Tribes, MechWarriors, Team Fortresses, Unreal Tournaments), Third Person/Cover Based Shooters (Gears of War), JRPGs (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI), Stealth Shooters (Thief, Splinter Cell), Western RPGs in Various Perspectives (Thunderscape, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Drakan, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 3, Skyrim), really weird genre mashups (System Shock, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution), Mechanical Puzzle Games (The Incredible Machine, Cogs), Puzzle Platformers (Portal 1&2, 1000 Amps, Lost Vikings!), Massively Multiplayer (EverQuest, Planetside, EQ2, City of Heroes, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Vanguard, Rift, SW:TOR), Action RPGs (Torchlight, X-Men Legends, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance)...

So, yeah. It's a long list. That said, I've definitely grown out of some of those. I don't appreciate old-school platformers these days the way I did when I was a kid, and my patience has worn too thin to play JRPGs anymore.

That said, the genres that will ever hold my heart are old-school space sims or pre-WW2 flight sims, turn based strategy/tactical, and role-playing where I feel like the way I choose to play has an impact on the story and the world. Needless to say, about the only way The Banner Saga could be more exciting a project for me is if there was dogfighting from atop the backs of dragons or something.. and I'm happy to concede that mashing that genre in here has no real place, so I'll content myself with two out of three. ;)

stelly
05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I will play anything once, dont really like MMO tbh I think its cause I dont have the time...

Stelly

kolo83
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
My first game ever was Dreamweb, which i could not run at that time, then was Dungeon Keeper.
Next was Dark Earth and Fallout 2. From there began my passion for point and click adventure games and RPG. :)
I don't like games which require from me superhuman reflexes (becouse i suck if it comes to action games :) ).

Cathmore
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I am huge fan of RPGs, especially tactical RPGs, but I'm willing to give any RPG a try. The first two games I ever finished were Shining Force 2 and Breath of Fire 2.

Next is probably any kind of horror game, I'm a huge horror buff.

I enjoy games from every genre though, but my least favorite is probably FPS, mostly because of how it is stagnating. However, games like Bioshock, Deus Ex: HR, Half Life 2 and Borderlands show that FPSes can be great as well.

GorillaGrod
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I am a huge RPG fan
Final Fantasy 3, Baldur's Gate, Persona Series, Final Fantasy Tactics. I just like games with deep enthralling stories

Skitnik
05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Strategy and RPG, mostly turn based. Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, King of Dragon Pass, Dominions III, Wizardry, Arcanum, Fallout. And so on.

Biowulf
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
RTS ala Command and Conquer. I also play mods for Rome: Total War and Medieval II: Total War since the originals are kinda meh. I'll play most RPGs, although my favorite have be the Elder Scrolls series. It's really hard to nail down any one specific genre since I tend to play them all. I could give a list of games I have, but it would take too long :P

CottonWolf
05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Like a lot of people in this thread, I don't tend to get bogged down with genre barriers. I'll play almost anything with a good story. Or interesting mechanics. Preferably both. That said, for context, my favourite games are the Golden Sun games for GBA, Tactics Ogre and Majora's Mask.

Dark Jedi Dave
05-04-2012, 12:20 AM
I love RPGs (Fable TLC, Morrowind and KOTOR are my top 3 games), but also tactical FPS like the original Rainbow 6 and SWAT series. Sandbox style games are a great (GTA, Saints Row, Assassins Creed, Red Dead Redemption)

Morte
05-04-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm a rpg-enthusiast. Most of my favourites can be found between the late nineties and the middle of the last decade: Arcanum, the Baldur’s Gate series, Deus Ex, Dragon Age: Origins, the Drakensang series, Morrowind, the Fallout series (the first two parts remain unequalled btw), the Gothic series (excluding Forsaken Gods and Arcania), the Knights of the Old Republic series, Planescape: Torment, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and last but not least the Witcher series.

From time to time I also play shooters (the Brothers in Arms series being my absolute favourite) and turn-based strategy such as the Total War series.

kincajou
05-04-2012, 06:56 AM
I've been through a lot of different genres but the one that seems to always grab me back is adventure games.
I just can't get enough of good, self contained, stories like Syberia,Grim Fndango or the longest journey.
SOmehow i get more involved in games like these than i do in games like oblivion or morrowind :P

belamoor
05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
I play all sorts of games, though it's mostly Strategy, MMO and RPG kind of games now. List of games i played recently:
Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 - great recent RPGs, ME3 had a strong emotional impact on me, for all sorts of reasons.
Eve Online - hardcore sandbox MMO, although i am a casual carebear.
Paradox Games: Victoria II, Crusader kings II, Hearts of iron III - I love grand-strategy games. Was a huge fan of Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod for quite some time, it's easily the BEST ancient->modern timeframe strategy game that exists. Seriously.
And Bloodline Champions - my favorite out of Dota style games, mainly due to artwork, i think it's amazing and unique ! The developers are from Sweden, so it has that northern touch.
I do enjoy story-driven too, still hope to see "Dreamfall: the longest journey" sequel. "Fahrenheit" "Still life 2" anyone ? :)
I also have a thing for space ships. I remember "Tachyon the fringe" being the first game i've ever played on PC and felt in love with, been following the genre since than.

Troll
05-07-2012, 06:59 AM
RPGs and JRPGs are what made more than half my gamer life. Bioware being a large part of the first. I also played a good number of RTS and space sim (well, mostly X series).

Jozape
05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
I mostly play cRPGs(never played P&P), some strategy games(mostly of the board/tabletop type), and some puzzles(computer or not).

kincajou
05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
some strategy games(mostly of the board/tabletop type).

Ah, you caugh my interest, which ones?

ScottMBruner
05-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm about 50% RPGs (Morrowind, Baldur's Gate) and 50% classic adventure games (Riven, Police Quest) so you can understand why this game completely appealed to me - great mix of tactical and RPG elements.

(Also, I'm so psyched how KS has brought back classic game genres.)

blind_evil
05-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I come from a console background and play almost anything that intrigues me from a setting/narrative/mechanical perspective. I have a strong appreciation for Japanese developers, because I feel that they never half-ass anything like you see a lot of North American. They are not the most innovative, but they pick something to be good at and hone the craft to perfection.

That's pretty abstract.

As far as genres I think my favorite are RPGs and shooters, favorite setting is fantasy/medieval. There are a few genres I don't like at all, namely RTS, MOBAs, and tower defense. I'm don't like games where you have to build strength but there's no persistence, you lose what you've built after each match. I used to play PC games but now I only play there what I can't play on consoles (a couple MMOs I dabble in, Mount & Blade). The game I'm most looking forward to right now is Dragon's Dogma. I have been recently disappointed by The Witcher 2.

To be more specific, here are some of my absolute favorites of the last few years:

Monster Hunter Tri
Dragon Age: Origins
Bayonetta
Vanquish
NBA 2k series
Syndicate
Crysis 2
Dark Souls
LoZ: Skyward Sword
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Mortal Kombat 9
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

and some classic favorites

Monkey Island series
Final Fantasy 4-9 and Tactics
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Metroid Prime
Smash Bros. Melee

Sorry for the long post, but it's my first!

JokerAR
05-13-2012, 09:17 AM
While my pc's no longer really up to a gaming standard I'll still try pretty much anything across any of the current active platforms. I game most on the PS3 with rpgs filling the gap I used to fill with fps's although at the moment the ipad gets most of my 'game time': work not leaving long to get really wrapped up in a console rpg right now.