PDA

View Full Version : Austin Wintory gets a grammy nomination.

balnoisi
12-12-2012, 08:57 AM
For the first time in the 55-year history of the Grammy Awards, a videogame soundtrack has been nominated. The honor goes to Austin Wintory, composer of the score for the mesmerizing PlayStation 3 game Journey, published earlier this year.

The 28-year-old Denver native’s work has been nominated in the Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media, pitting Wintory against a who’s-who of film composers Howard Shore (Hugo), Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight Rises) and John Williams (Tintin).

“To be nominated alongside John Williams,” Wintory said to Wired, “is a lifelong dream that I genuinely thought would never happen.”

Wintory said that after his work composing for an upcoming independent game called Monaco is finished, his next project will be the remake of the adult adventure game Leisure Suit Larry.

a pity Banner Saga is not mentioned too. the more exposure to big media the better ;)

you can read the rest of this here :
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/12/video-games-grammys-journey/

SharkSummoner
12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Banner saga has decent music but i don't think its worth a Grammy. Also i thought the theme song for civilization 4 got a Grammy or did it get a different award?

Guğmundr
12-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Banner saga has decent music but i don't think its worth a Grammy.
I think balnoisi meant it is a pity that they didn't mention the Banner Saga as one of Austin's upcoming projects ;)

The music currently in Factions is only placeholder. The final soundtrack will be fully orchestrated.

Here's what Austin has to say about it:

There are two basic cues in there currently, which are in NO WAY indicative of what the final product will be, except maybe in that I too like the less aggressive approach to the combat. But I'm currently neck deep in working on an adaptive combat music system. Until then, the cue that you are hearing is basically a variation on the main theme for use in the city Strand.

The other cue, the bigger and more aggressive one, was never really meant for use in-game at all. It was just an exploration of ideas. I'll get it swapped out ASAP!!

Ah the dangers of exposing Works in Progress .... ;)

SharkSummoner
12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh i didn't know the guy who made the music in this game made the music for Journey sorry.

balnoisi
12-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I think balnoisi meant it is a pity that they didn't mention the Banner Saga as one of Austin's upcoming projects ;)

yes Guğmundr that's what i meant. sorry if i didn't explain myself properly :)

Slimsy Platypus
02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Grammys tonight - good luck to Austin (not that he'll / you'll need it!). It's an absolute honor to simply be nominated, but I'm rooting for him (you) to go all the way!

Grits
02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Soooo, looking forward to TBS score! Congrats Austin!
This game really has it all. Fantastic art, deep mechanics, top notch music. Damn! So cool.

The Mad Fool
02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Congrats Austin!