PDA

View Full Version : Guys Smash, Girls Shoot

jobedius
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Am I seeing this right that this trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GuysSmashGirlsShoot) applies to The Banner Saga too? That would be boring. Where are the the shieldmaidens? The female barbarians? Any plans in this direction?

SharkSummoner
01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Oh Thoth I hope this doesn't become a sexism debate...

Anyway from what I've heard they plan to add menders which are basically(from what I gather) Norse Spear wielding Jedi so there will be girls that smash.

Zindaras
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Looks like at least Juno from the storyline will be a spearwielder, but I too would be glad to see more warriors among the women, rather than having them relegated to only shooter and caster roles. Admittedly the female models so far are very hard-bitten and battle-ready, no chainmail bikinis here, so I'm very glad for that!

I don't imagine you guys could give us actual confirmation on this without spoiling future unit reveals but... a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh? ;)

SharkSummoner
01-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah and at least Stoic isn't as bad as say Riot or Square Enix when it comes to the disreprency of ranged to melee female characters.

franknarf
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
From the latest update: "Brendan Iribe and Alex Maxwell star as the male Mender and Spearman, respectively." This seems to suggest that male and female versions of humans will be available, eh? (Don't know about Varl.) Also, Rook, the other main character besides Juno, has a bow.

Zindaras
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Ah, you may well be right about that Franknarf! I didn't notice there were male and female Mender models there, perhaps the dream of a female spearwielder class is not lost after all! That would be great because games rarely have spearwielders anyway, let alone female ones. The only ones I can particularly think of are Hilde from Soul Calibur and a pretty wide variety of Pegasus Knights and Cavaliers in the Fire Emblem series.

jobedius
02-19-2013, 05:31 AM
no chainmail bikinis here, so I'm very glad for that!

Word!

Kimberly
02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I think a certain degree of sexism is fair, in light of the society the game depicts, but I do hope the game won't fall into stereotypes like "guys smash, girls shoot". So far, we've only seen a limited selection, and I'm not complaining.

erom
02-19-2013, 10:56 PM
To some extent, I think this is simply a technical limitation. The upgrade system locks an entire type of character into a single gender. So all Archers are Female, and all Raiders are Male. Unless you have two types of characters of the same archetype (which is, of course, totally possible) it's harder to make everything as gender-inclusive as you would maybe want.

You could imagine, of course, having a second genderswapped version of each character tree, but that doubles the necessary art assets (ouch), and art assets of the quality used by the Banner Saga are hard to come by.

Personally, I wouldn't want a character to change gender due to promotion to a higher rank.

But I'm pretty sure we'll see another female unit tree eventually. Given that we saw a brief shot of a lightning wielding (female) Mender in the trailer and the story on the website features a healer type (male) Mender, the magic units may feature a reversal of the typical gender stereotypes for schools of magic.

Flickerdart
02-19-2013, 11:29 PM
I want a varl with a giant crossbow, and so far it doesn't seem like there are girl varl.

Dysp
02-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I want a varl with a giant crossbow, and so far it doesn't seem like there are girl varl.

Male or female, a ranged varl unit would be very interesting. ..I wonder, if female varl were to exist, if they would still have horns... I like the idea of the ranged weapon specifically being a massive, heavy crossbow... or a caber. The small, wimpy varl would use a rubber-tree caber. :)

SharkSummoner
02-20-2013, 12:14 AM

Personally I'd perfer a Varl Boulder Tosser

lolomomo
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
The option of having a female character who wields an oversize hammer or axe would be wonderful.

Flickerdart
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Then we're agreed - the next unit added to the game should be a varl that throws women wielding giant axes.

balnoisi
02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
i don't think this whole subject is fair to the game, thanks to the recent trailer video we know women in the saga are also capable of reading a male warrior's letter and mourn.

Alex
02-26-2013, 10:55 PM
There are both men and women characters. Why are some classes male while others are female? Because they're each made specifically to be named characters from the single layer game. There are both male and female menders and in the future we've planned to add shieldmaidens and female horse-people. Also, the "Odin" of our lore is a woman, and so is the most important character in the game.

Guğmundr
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
...so is the most important character in the game.
Would this happen to be Juno? :D

tnankie
02-26-2013, 11:14 PM
There are both men and women characters. Why are some classes male while others are female? Because they're each made specifically to be named characters from the single layer game. There are both male and female menders and in the future we've planned to add shieldmaidens and female horse-people. Also, the "Odin" of our lore is a woman, and so is the most important character in the game.
I for one am looking forward to the single layer game :)

these modern multi layer games are ruining things with too many flavours.

It is in these times of economic scarcity that we need to remember our roots and get back to good old fashioned single layer values.

Alex
02-27-2013, 12:49 AM
I for one am looking forward to the single layer game :)

these modern multi layer games are ruining things with too many flavours.

It is in these times of economic scarcity that we need to remember our roots and get back to good old fashioned single layer values.

I blame ipad's auto-correct. :)

dron
02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Peeked on that link and saw this.
"World of Warcraft has no gender restrictions on class; any class can be either gender. However, a demographic study showed that while not all female players are healers, they do statistically prefer ranged DPS to melee. "
Intredasting

Grimr
02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Dimorphism is the original division of labor. Ignore this at your peril.

Budikah
02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
First the people of color thread and now one on sexism. What comes next? No transgendered Vikings or Varls? Not enough anthropomorphic vikings for the furries?

It's a tactical game and the art they have is probably doubling as art for the single player game. If you saw a dollar value attributed to how much it costs them to make a character you would probably understand why they can't fit every field.

franknarf
02-28-2013, 09:44 PM
@Bukidah. As humans, Vikings are already quite anthropomorphic already! :D

gripho
03-01-2013, 05:59 PM
deleted

SharkSummoner
03-01-2013, 07:17 PM
deleted

That's a fair and logical point however I have to disagree with

[DATA EXPUNGED]

however this is a divisive issue and you know what,we could be both right and wrong at the same time.

raven2134
03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Lol whut? I come in here and the 2 people at odds have both deleted their arguments. :D

SharkSummoner
03-02-2013, 12:39 AM
I didnt have a deleted argument I was just making a silly joke because gripho deleted his comment.

gripho
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I didnt have a deleted argument I was just making a silly joke because gripho deleted his comment.

Yeah, I was playing at the same time and posted my comment on the wrong thread ^^;