PDA

View Full Version : The Factions Help & Support Area

Stoic
02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Welcome all the the Help & Support area specifically for the multiplayer version of The Banner Saga called Factions. Having issues or looking for help from Stoic and your fellow gamers? This is the place to post it!

When posting about issues, especially bugs (they do happen from time to time), please be as specific as possible. The more information you give, the easier it is for people to respond and address (and more so, rectify) the issue. It may be beneficial to include information such as what Operating System you are using, what type of video card, and what driver version you are on.

Thanks!

netnazgul
02-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Played some games yesterday to taste the final game (after some early betas).

I like to see what this game turned into. Right developing decisions and tons of feedback made a fortune here certainly :)

One quick question though - where can I see my own stats? Hall of valor only shows the top-20 or am I wrong?

Bloodaddict
02-20-2013, 05:42 AM
One quick question though - where can I see my own stats? Hall of valor only shows the top-20 or am I wrong?

I had the same thing yesterday when I started, but when you exit the game and start again you should see your rank in the hall of valor as well.

netnazgul
02-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Also, concerning the issue I've spotted quite some time ago, but it's still unresolved.

When in battle, there is "?" button that opens help overlay and "banners" button that toggles banners.
But in Strand "?" button suddenly toggles banners (building hints) instead of showing help, and help is opened by "banners" button.

InfiniteNutshell
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM

There's currently a bug where the Hall of Valor doesn't update until you restart the game (which I believe the devs have said will be fixed in the next patch). This makes it so that you don't see your own stats during your first session of gameplay, since when you logged in you hadn't played any games yet and thus didn't have any stats.

John
02-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Yes, HOV should be fixed now.

There's currently a bug where the Hall of Valor doesn't update until you restart the game (which I believe the devs have said will be fixed in the next patch). This makes it so that you don't see your own stats during your first session of gameplay, since when you logged in you hadn't played any games yet and thus didn't have any stats.

netnazgul
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Oh, forgot the main part.

There need to be confirmation dialogs on several actions (promotions, renaming, all that irreversible kind of stuff), something with big red letters saying

"THIS ACTION WILL TAKE YOUR RENOWN FOREVER AND WON'T EVER GIVE IT BACK, ARE YOU SURE?"

For example, now all you need to hire new character is to press "hire" button. You can misclick it and have 50 of your precious renown fly away for an experienced archer you don't even need.

John
02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Confirmation dialogs are part of the latest build, and are on everything that costs renown. Check out the release notes here:

http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?929-Build-1-5-77

Oh, forgot the main part.

There need to be confirmation dialogs on several actions (promotions, renaming, all that irreversible kind of stuff), something with big red letters saying

"THIS ACTION WILL TAKE YOUR RENOWN FOREVER AND WON'T EVER GIVE IT BACK, ARE YOU SURE?"

For example, now all you need to hire new character is to press "hire" button. You can misclick it and have 50 of your precious renown fly away for an experienced archer you don't even need.

netnazgul
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Confirmation dialogs are part of the latest build, and are on everything that costs renown. Check out the release notes here:

http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?929-Build-1-5-77
Yep, just saw that ingame when promoting unit, you were faster than me :o

Jorgensager
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey, in general, do you prefer bugs to be described and posted in this forum, or should we just send log files and description to community@stoicstudio.com? It's certainly easier to include the log file and screenshots in e-mails, but then it could be useful with community discussion/other reports of similar bugs in the same place...

I guess my question is if it's worth posting a new thread when I find a bug, if I should post it in an already-existing thread (e.g. the 1.5.77 build thread) or if you prefer to get emails with log file and screen shots (where appropriate) on the more obscure bugs straight away instead?

raven2134
02-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi Jorgen, if the bug is new then make a new thread. You can post about it, and attach the log. John regularly goes through this forum area. If the bug you feel, is urgent or dire, then send the email with the log :).

Jorgensager
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Problem being I don't know which bugs are known (is there a comprehensive list somewhere?), and wouldn't want to double post a thread. Hmm, and what if I don't want to post my log on a public forum for one reason or the other, would it still be worth it? [not saying this is the case ~ just hypothetically!]

For the record, the bug I have in mind is where adding a point of willpower with the horn restricted my Warhawk's possible "movement zone" in an awkward way, and just in case, I sent them a screen shot and the log already... whups ^_^

Thanks!

raven2134
02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Ah, yes. The site has received that mail. Sure, post it in for now. Take this support area as your basis, if it's not here yet then post it. If it's 2 pages back, then post anyway, can consider the bug resurfaced or unresolved

Vraja
03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
I'm not clear on whether I should make a new thread or post here, so I'm posting here for now. I have what I believe to be a bug that is happening to me fairly often.

When I finish (win) a match, after striking the killing blow, nothing happens. Instead of getting the win/renown screen, it simply sits there, as if its still my turn. Chat will still work, all sounds etc, but the game won't end. I've had it forced by the other player surrendering once or twice, but currently I've been sitting in one match for at least 30 + minutes after his last unit died and it won't end.

I don't have any particular known steps to reproduce this. It seems to happen randomly. I've seen the "the seas have grown stormy" message before about lag, but its not popping up in this case. And as mentioned chat is working fine so I don't think its lagging out.

Please help! This is ruining some great matches as well as robbing me of well-earned renown. And I imagine my opponent isn't get his renown either.

Thanks.

netnazgul
03-22-2013, 01:03 AM
I've noticed that just after the latest update and reported to devs. Unfortunately it wasn't properly fixed and devs are now at PAX, so we will have to live with it for several days.

raven2134
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Very sorry to hear that happening Vraja. It must be something to do with the servers and match resolution. For the most part the game is stable but I think Stoic hasn't fully gotten around to sorting out the database and versus server.

This will be looked at when Stoic gets back from PAX. Hang tight, won't be too long.

Ratatoskr
04-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Just a random question- is it possible to zoom out the battlefield anymore? I've been gone so I haven't played since early beta and I can't remember if there were hotkeys for that.

The board is closer than it used to be right?

trisenk
04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
You can - kinda - zoom in and out: left Ctrl + mouse wheel (on Windows at least). But it just shrinks everything with black borders around with the same FoV, so it's not really useful. When zooming in ugly pixels will hurt your eyes.

Early in the beta everything was drawn in a different way - consuming more resources, but allowing for pretty zooming. I wish it was still available, even as an option. Sometimes I play on my 1366x768 laptop, and half the board is obstructed by initiative bar, chat and horn. Either that, or smaller GUI elements.

Ratatoskr
04-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Damn, I was hoping I could get my wider view back. I like being able to see a better overview of the board.

Being able to at least move the horn over/ minimize it would be nice.

AnotherPersona
04-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Remember the bug that came with the latest patch? The one where the victory screen wouldn't come up after the battle? It's happening again, 3 times I have experienced it now. A friend has as well. And I am seeing it on the in-game global chat. Just thought I'd let you know. Hope I don't get a tourney freeze. xD (Have restarted steam, did not help)

Brackstone
05-16-2013, 08:20 PM
I hate making my first post on a new forum a bug report, but I haven't been able to play the game for about a month now. For a while, until the most recent update, I always recieved the connection issue message when booting up the game, and would never reach the main menu. I had hoped the newest update would fix it, but instead the connection problem message no longer appears and the game never progresses past the loading screen. I have tried reinstalling several times, and no firewalls or antivirus programs are getting in the way.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit if that helps. I checked the log reports, and they stop around the 10th of may, so I don't know if they would be of use. Any help would be much appreciated.

Rensei
05-16-2013, 08:47 PM
http://get.adobe.com/pl/flashplayer/ - get the latest Flash Player, then check firewall, router setup maybe? My bet is it's one of those.

raven2134
05-16-2013, 09:48 PM
It's network related. Stoic has received similar reports. They generally can't troubleshoot it for you cos it's not the client and it's not server related. You have to check your network settings, router, firewalls, anti-virus, and other security programs. Make sure the game client is not blocked.

The log reports stopping sounds different though.

Try checking what I suggested, and shoot a mail to support@stoicstudio.com with further details.

Brackstone
05-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Ok, so I got the game working again. I didn't change anything except I redownloaded the game again, and afterwards deleted all the files in the steam folder except steamapps and steam.exe. I was originally doing that for another issue, but it helped fix this too. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Rugeon
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I can't get past the tutorial when it asks me to "click the check mark to continue" it simply doesn't register my clicks. This came after having to update adobe air because the game would would crash as soon as I moved my mouse, but now it's like my mouse doesn't even exist. I have had this game since beta but have never played it and I can only apologize for my laziness in reporting this issue.

I am running on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 with these specs:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1

stoicmom
07-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi! Stoic is attending RTX this weekend. On behalf of the tech John, the word for you is to upgrade your macos and this should take care of the problem.:D

kpkoers@mtu.edu
07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
So I haven't been playing this much until recently, but when I logged on yesterday I started having issues for the first time. Whenever I played a quick match, at the end of the match, the game would just hang. it would never end, and just sit there. It seemed like it wasn't "finishing out" the turn of the last troop killed, as their portrait would remain in the queue at the bottom of the screen, and it would still show their shield with armor value and hit points (usually negative). Even surrendering didn't seem to work, the only way I could get out of the battle was to close the game entirely, and then I didn't get any renown from the battle. It also appeared that some of the other players were experiencing the same thing when we were chatting in the game. Not sure what the hitch is, but I didn't have any trouble two days ago, and last night it happened to me every single battle (4 in all), before I gave up and quit.

John
07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the report. I happened to be debugging right when that happened, and I found the source of the problem.

It was affecting everyone playing for about 30-45 minutes last night. Hopefully the fix will prevent this from happening in the future, once the next build goes live.

Spetsnazer
03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Odd, some guy left the battlefield, but game didn't end. No ending fullscreen banner. Just, frozen timer on units, nothing happening. Could still write in chat even if the lad left. Animations and everything still active, but game froze.

visorium
07-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Heya, Warriors!
That's a strange problem:
I have no space in PG or I have space in PG? :confused:
I already have 72 warriors and 9 empty slots which somehow I can not fill... is impossible to me hire another nine units.

stoicmom
07-21-2014, 10:35 PM
visorium, i have that same problem: an entire empty row but cannot add units :p

visorium
07-21-2014, 10:44 PM
incredibly insulting! I want my 60 renown back ~(ΘεΘ)~