PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaker Mechanics

tnankie
02-19-2013, 06:26 AM
Hey all,
I am seeking clarification/information on the working so the matchmaker (MM).

I understand the ranking power relationship ratio has been set to 200:6.
I also understand that MM starts with a gate of 20 then expands to 200 but there is a hard limit of 20 power difference.

So I am trying to work out the relationship of games you may be facing at the 20 gate.
I am assuming team A is base units and team B was X advanced units.

x=1
200/6 = 33.33
therefore if 20 > (ranking A + 0 x 33.33) - (ranking B + 1 x 33.33) > -20
match up is valid in first gate?
Hence if 53.33 > A - B > 13.33
match goes ahead?

if so when x = 2 (starting to approach easy win territory)

86.66 > A - B > 46.66

x=3
120 > A - B > 80

x=4
153.33 > A - B > 113.33

x=5
186.66 > A - B > 146.66

x=6 (you got curb stomped...probably)
220 > A - B > 180

One thing to keep in mind is that this is only the initial 20 gate, that gate gets larger as you stay in the queue longer.

Speculation and gut feelings:
So...I wonder if 180 ranking is enough to ensure a win against an upgraded team. I'd hate to be on 1280 facing a 1100 player with a full team of upgrades against some base units of mine (I was building a new team, say; or that I particularly enjoy the early game). My suspicion is that ranking on players who have played enough games (20+?) is a nice linear relationship/reasonable predictor of skill. I suspect that power is not a linear relationship. By this I mean 6 power difference is more than 6 times harder to deal with than 1 power difference.

Is there anything I have missed or any flaws in my reasoning?

P.S. copied this post over from the beta forums as I posted it minutes before those forums were locked.

The Mad Fool
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
I agree, and promotions make a huge difference. Fighting Unpromoted against Promoted is downright painful, even against a much less skilled opponent.

tnankie
02-19-2013, 05:39 PM
So I was just experimenting with some basic units when I realised that you can reassign their points! The only issue is that everything is currently maxed out on the basic units. Then I had a thought, if I cripple some of my basic units I could have more advanced units on the field and the same level of match making.

So I started assessing the starting units with an eye to removing a point or two here and there.

Archers could take one less max willpower I think (take two back biters instead of your axemen.)
shield varl could also take one less max willpower.

I am now thinking about a 2 back breaker 1 warhawk 2 archers with 1 less willpower and a shield varl with one less max willpower...60 team power is going to be matching lower than my current setup. 3 advanced units, little to no difference in the short term power of the basic units, +2 additional advanced units with better assignments of stats and playing against weaker players (at least until everyone else starts doing this).

I was in two minds about posting this...but I thought it might help the power aspect of the MM getting looked at so in the long run it is probably better for the game that I do post it. (Note I am going to abuse the hell out of this when I get home tonight)

raven2134
02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Nice catch tnankie. That's interesting and it should be tested, post your feedback about it too. I'm really interested in the setup and how it will affect matchups

franknarf
02-19-2013, 09:14 PM
@tnankie. Yeah, I agree that it's broken for allowing that sort of thing. This is maybe the third time I've said this :) : they need to take promotions into account when calculating power.

Flickerdart
02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
I've lost games by 1 WP, so docking the archers isn't really a good idea...the Shieldbanger though can stand to lose a few owing to his awful Exertion.

erom
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Couldn't you also run a full team of promoted units, with one stat point removed from each unit, and still get matched against basic teams this way?

That seems really strong. Because you have potentially the same units as the enemy but yours all have active abilities.

So who's willing to burn all that renown to test it?

franknarf
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I think that's what tnankie was proposing, erom. Anyway, looks like they said they're going to fix it in chat today. Now, a unit's power will be 10 + level + points above 10 that have been allocated. So a team of level-1's cannot go below 66; and if their 11th points are added, they'll be at 72.

tnankie
02-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Well I was talking about 3 9/10 rank 0 units + 3 11/11 rank 1 units giving a team power of 60.
But you could equally do a 1 0/10 rank 0 and 5 11/11 rank 1 units giving a team power of 55 in the current setup...which could/would be really nasty!

Assuming what franknarf is reporting reflects reality then that is only going to move the problem on from rank 0:rank 1 imbalance to rank 1:rank 2 imbalance. (I know rank 2 or 3 aren't in game yet)

If that is how the power calculation is going to go it might be better to be:
if (distributed stat points - (10 + rank)) > 0
power = 10 + rank + (distributed stat points - (10 + rank))
Else:
power = 10 + rank
This way you will always be considered more powerful than a unit of a lower rank.

Hang on, can you queue with less than 6 units? (easy way to get lower team power)

Be nice if Stoic would confirm/deny the calculations in the original post. (hint hint :D)

erom
02-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Yeah, there might still be an exploit here (assuming higher ranks also cost a point) - is 4 rank 3 characters (at 12/13 stats) stronger than 6 rank 0s? Guess we'll see. But I can kind of see certain rank 3 abilities being a "disk one nuke" against a basic team.

raven2134
02-19-2013, 11:38 PM
I think you cannot queue with less than 6/won't be matched

Flickerdart
02-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Frankly stat customization should just be disabled for base units, since their stats are all maxed out anyway.

Tirean
02-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Rank 1-2 different wont matter at all. For rank 2 you gain a stronger ability at the cost of using 2 WP to use it. However you only gain 1 extra stat point meaning if you cripple yourself to be matched vs rank 1 units you going to be weaker due to less WP :)

InfiniteNutshell
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Sure it will matter! The difference between a rank-1 and rank-2 unit with the same stats is that the rank-2 has the option to use the 1st- or 2nd-level version of its ability. More options is better.

It just won't matter very much, especially compared to the difference between rank 0 and rank 1.

tnankie
02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Well I gave it a spin last night. Ended up playing a few matches where I was the underdog.
But mostly went up against low ranked newer players. Think I won all 5 or 6 matches.