PDA

View Full Version : Currency differences in the Marketplace

The New Romance
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Hey there,

the issue I'd like to post about is not really a bug, but nonetheless I think it's not working as intended.

I live in Germany, and Steam displays prices in Euro for me. When I started Factions for the first time yesterday, its ingame store was showing prices in US Dollars. That wasn't much of a problem, since everything got converted (at something akin to the current rates) to Euro when I clicked on "purchase". I didn't actually buy anything, but the prices were displayed right.

However, when I started Factions for the second time, the marketplace prices had changed to Euro - at least the base prices. They were being displayed as converted following current conversion rates, but the discounted Sale prices were not. As far as I can tell, they're just the Dollar prices with a Euro sign tacked on.

This leads to some strange behavior, as shown in this screenshot (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128376296). Notice how the Sale price of a 1-day-renown-boost is actually higher than its base price.

So, to cut the long story short: please make sure pricing is consistent in different currencies. In this regard, I would especially like to ask you to convert prices according to the respective conversion rates, rather than just take the Dollar prices and substitute $ with € (which unfortunately is how Steam does it, most of the time). I can understand that pricing is this way because of publishers who want it to be, but you don't have a publisher, and giving people an advantage in the marketplace simply because of their place of residence wouldn't be very fair in my opinion. A unit of renown should cost the same no matter where you are.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just logged into the game and saw that you already fixed it! That's quick action, I have to say ;) See the new pricings here (http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/921255349153747748/9538D99E2734722F68EA455AA155E04676ADCD64/).

John
02-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Yes, this build addressed several currency conversion issues. I'm glad it is working better for you!

Hey there,

the issue I'd like to post about is not really a bug, but nonetheless I think it's not working as intended.

I live in Germany, and Steam displays prices in Euro for me. When I started Factions for the first time yesterday, its ingame store was showing prices in US Dollars. That wasn't much of a problem, since everything got converted (at something akin to the current rates) to Euro when I clicked on "purchase". I didn't actually buy anything, but the prices were displayed right.

However, when I started Factions for the second time, the marketplace prices had changed to Euro - at least the base prices. They were being displayed as converted following current conversion rates, but the discounted Sale prices were not. As far as I can tell, they're just the Dollar prices with a Euro sign tacked on.

This leads to some strange behavior, as shown in this screenshot (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128376296). Notice how the Sale price of a 1-day-renown-boost is actually higher than its base price.

So, to cut the long story short: please make sure pricing is consistent in different currencies. In this regard, I would especially like to ask you to convert prices according to the respective conversion rates, rather than just take the Dollar prices and substitute $ with € (which unfortunately is how Steam does it, most of the time). I can understand that pricing is this way because of publishers who want it to be, but you don't have a publisher, and giving people an advantage in the marketplace simply because of their place of residence wouldn't be very fair in my opinion. A unit of renown should cost the same no matter where you are.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just logged into the game and saw that you already fixed it! That's quick action, I have to say ;) See the new pricings here (http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/921255349153747748/9538D99E2734722F68EA455AA155E04676ADCD64/).