PDA

View Full Version : Steam Overlay + Sale

Shiri
02-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Is there any chance we can get the sale extended for those of us being screwed out of giving you money by Steam, if they don't manage to fix it before the sale ends? :(

raven2134
02-21-2013, 06:11 AM
OHHH that is a good point. I'll make sure stoic sees, this, but also know, while the whole market is on sale right now, sales will be a daily thing even after Feb 25, just instead of everything on sale, it will be a thing or 2 at a time.

StandSure
02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm seeing this overlay problem mentioned in a couple locations...I hope people realize that you can also add funds to your Steam account out-of-game from the main Steam page under your account. I don't know if this area is problematic also, but could be a (less-than-ideal) solution, since Stoic can't really change the Steam interface.

raven2134
02-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Even if funds can be added this way, the problem is that the store won't authorize the payments/transaction. :(

StandSure
02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Even if funds can be added this way, the problem is that the store won't authorize the payments/transaction. :(
Ah...did not realize. Stupid Steam.

Floyd Ryan
02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Having the same problem here. Getting the Steam overlay error but Steam overlay is enabled. Disabling & restarting Steam did not help.

edit: nevermind. on mac it works sometimes. Now i'm rallying for eternity in blazing colors... ;)

John
02-23-2013, 05:38 AM
There is an potential alternative method if the Steam Overlay is broken on a given machine. We can redirect you to a Steam web page that allows completion of purchase outside of game. We would like to get this in sooner rather than later, and it is high on the list of things to do. It is frustrating that the Overlay works intermittently on Mac OSX and not at all on 12% of our Windows players' machines.

Is there any chance we can get the sale extended for those of us being screwed out of giving you money by Steam, if they don't manage to fix it before the sale ends? :(

mistakeagian
02-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I would LOVE to spend some money and wish i could have before the game went live. Please, get the alternate method setup ASAP.

Shiri
02-24-2013, 02:03 PM
That sounds great! I am just hoping I can take advantage of the discount when you get that working, since it's quite a few pounds' difference.

mistakeagian
02-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Just an FYI. I tried everything I could find to fix this issue. Finally, I found a thread for some game that launched on Steam like 4 years ago. In that thread someone mentioned going into a web page that had a Flash video. Right click the video and in the settings, turn on hardware acceleration. Magically, my problem was fixed.

I had already tried shutting off everything in startup, changing the hot key, delegating files, launching the overlay .exe as admin, everything. Turned out it was an issue with my Flash player. Give it a try if your still having overlay issues.

Shiri
02-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Holy crap, that worked for me too, thanks a bunch mistakeagian!

EDIT: ...but the sale is over ;_;

John
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
That is a very interesting result!

The game doesn't explicitly depend on Flash Player in any way, so it is frustrating that Adobe's settings would leak over into the game. The game is also packaged with its own Adobe AIR, which should further insulate it. We will test this out. This is an important piece of info for me to share with the Adobe support engineers.

Just an FYI. I tried everything I could find to fix this issue. Finally, I found a thread for some game that launched on Steam like 4 years ago. In that thread someone mentioned going into a web page that had a Flash video. Right click the video and in the settings, turn on hardware acceleration. Magically, my problem was fixed.

I had already tried shutting off everything in startup, changing the hot key, delegating files, launching the overlay .exe as admin, everything. Turned out it was an issue with my Flash player. Give it a try if your still having overlay issues.

John
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
This is the Adobe URL containing instructions for this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Mumm
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
For those having the problem that this workaround fixed. Could you post the version of Air you have? It might be an issue with an out of date Air version.

http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/determine-version-air-runtime.html

netnazgul
02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
today's steam update:

Windows
- Improved network performance of the overlay web browser
So maybe it's already fixed

John
02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
To change your Flash Player settings:

Right-click the following
Choose "Settings...".
Ensure that "Enable hardware acceleration" is clicked.

quality=high width=400 height=200 parameter=parameter_value

Shiri
02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
1.5.0.7220 is my adobe air version.

Mumm
02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Ok that is a problem, should have 3.6+

davemo
02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
If we don't have flash installed at all on our OS, which might be common for those of us playing on a Mac, is there a way to change this setting within the player that is included in the game/Air SDK? I use Google Chrome to browse, which has its own sandboxed flash player; changing settings for that would not have any affect on global flash settings, right?

John
02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Right, I would think that changing settings in Chrome would not have any effect, because it is indeed sandboxed.

The problems with the Overlay on Mac seem to be different than the problems on Windows. On Mac I am seeing the Overlay fail to load intermittently -- in fact almost exactly every other launch of the game. On Windows, some machines simply never load the overlay at all. The hardware acceleration settings and old Air installs seem to be causing this on Windows.

What symptoms are you seeing on your Mac? When the overlay loads (usually about 5 sec after launching the game), it displays its little grey rectangle inside the bottom left corner of the TBS:F window. Every other launch I see it appear, and the other launches it never appears.

If we don't have flash installed at all on our OS, which might be common for those of us playing on a Mac, is there a way to change this setting within the player that is included in the game/Air SDK? I use Google Chrome to browse, which has its own sandboxed flash player; changing settings for that would not have any affect on global flash settings, right?

Shiri
02-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Ok that is a problem, should have 3.6+

Is this a problem I should be fixing myself or is it something you're likely to be able to fix with a patch like directX issues or something? (I am not great with computers :()

davemo
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
The problems with the Overlay on Mac seem to be different than the problems on Windows. On Mac I am seeing the Overlay fail to load intermittently -- in fact almost exactly every other launch of the game. On Windows, some machines simply never load the overlay at all.

What symptoms are you seeing on your Mac?

The overlay didn't load for me one time, and then another day it loaded fine and I was able to purchase all the colors without any issues. I didn't test back-to-back application launches though.

Kosathral
02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
I can confirm that you have to update your Flash and activate "Hardware accerlation" with a another Browser then Chrome (on Windows). I used Firefox and now the Overlay works like a charm.

Mumm
02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Is this a problem I should be fixing myself or is it something you're likely to be able to fix with a patch like directX issues or something? (I am not great with computers :()

Something we will look at Shiri :)

Boondog
03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm running into this issue as well. I've updated AIR and Flash player to the latest versions, although ,now it appears that I cannot perform the following step:

Right Click, select settings and then select "allow..." etc, etc.

Upon doing some more forum diving, it seems that this is potentially related to quick time (another forum indicated that removing QT appears to resolve this issue with Chrome). However, doing so did not resolve the issue for me (although hopefully it will for some others).

Unfortunately this is still blocking me from what I really want to do. Buy some new colors :) Any alternative solution or help would be greatly appreciated. Well done all around.

UPDATE: Just do it in Firefox. Chrome is causing issues with the settings update. Worked and ready to go.

Mumm
03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah, Chrome doesn't effect the global hardware settings.