PDA

View Full Version : The 5-kill "Promote!" alert let-down

StandSure
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I was chatting with anevilyak, Zomnivore, and KamikazeDurrp this morning about how there is kind of a let-down when you get the notification in-battle that your unit has reached 5 kills and can be promoted, then only to find out that you have far less than the requisite 50 Renown to actually promote them.

We came up with a few ideas of ways that a unit might be "semi-promoted" without disturbing the Renown system, so that you can actually feel like you got something for your 5 kills and were able to act on the notification:

- get a free rename on that unit
- get a free color-change option for 5+ kill units
- or have a built-in color change to distinguish novice units from 5+ kill veterans

Anything to let you feel like you got a little reward and could set that unit you are building up apart from a base-level guy. I'm sure there are other great ideas out there too...discuss!

Dysp
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I like those ideas. Being able to name your unit would be a nice differentiation and would allow players to customize their units earlier, and simply make the units feel more important. I don't know if a free skin would be necessary, as one of the incentives to promote is changing the look of that character. It's still a good idea though.

Zomnivore
02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Discounting the price of the unit after a certain kill threshold. That way if you still focus on getting that specific unit kills you've got an incentive.

That was my lil tidbit.

Dysp
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Discounting the price of the unit after a certain kill threshold. That way if you still focus on getting that specific unit kills you've got an incentive.

That was my lil tidbit.
There is already a discount, as for +50 renown you can get a unit immediately ready for promotion. You save 40 renown for the 5 kills option.

StandSure
02-21-2013, 12:04 PM

That was my lil tidbit.

I liked this idea at first, but now that I think about it, kills=renown in a very real way. 1 kill earns 1 renown, and that's the simplest way to get it, not including the other renown earned in play. So rewarding kill threshold just ends up devaluing renown slightly. You're going to rack up a mess of kills just earning the renown you need, anyway.

I didn't think about how hiring the novice unit is a discount already, Dysp, good point. I guess that doesn't show as easily when you are working with your starter units. It might have been more apparent if you were made to hire units before play, so you would have to choose between novices and veterans.

Grits
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
No renown or discount...and a color shift would be a waste since your going to upgrade him anyway. Cool idea, just kinda low priority for them ATM. I'd rather they put their time into making new colors for advanced units etc.

StandSure
02-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Cool idea, just kinda low priority for them ATM.
Well, obviously. It's a very minor concern. I meant this more of an idea discussion, not a mandate for action. Personally, if I'm scheduling the devs time, it's on Saga-relevent content 100%.

I think that giving the rename away for free at 5 kills could possibly kill a few birds with one stone, though...I see a lot of criticism for the rename cost in the forums. It would be simple to execute, and both give instant gratification at the promotion threshold as well as a way to personalize your units early when renown is hardest to come by. It tells kind of a story too, like "this warrior has earned recognition on the battlefield...his enemies know him by name."

The New Romance
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Well, obviously. It's a very minor concern. I meant this more of an idea discussion, not a mandate for action. Personally, if I'm scheduling the devs time, it's on Saga-relevent content 100%.

I think that giving the rename away for free at 5 kills could possibly kill a few birds with one stone, though...I see a lot of criticism for the rename cost in the forums. It would be simple to execute, and both give instant gratification at the promotion threshold as well as a way to personalize your units early when renown is hardest to come by. It tells kind of a story too, like "this warrior has earned recognition on the battlefield...his enemies know him by name."
I supported this idea in another thread, but I'd like to express the same sentiment here as well. This is a very good idea, and it doesn't even hurt the devs as re-naming (because "Lord Smarty" wasn't that Viking after all) would still cost renown.

StandSure
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
(because "Lord Smarty" wasn't that Viking after all)
Crud, you don't think so? There goes my whole team, Lord and Lady Smarty, plus the Duke of Stabbing...

Conundrum
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I support this idea!