PDA

View Full Version : Factions Review

AndrewW
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know, I put a review for this game up on my website. If you care to check it out, find out what I think of the game, the link is below.

http://www.misinformedbros.com/index.php?post/2013/02/18/The-Banner-Saga%3A-Factions

jimntonik
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Sounds like the devs were very kind to you. I wasn't so lucky.

At one point I was banned from the game for mentioning to another player that the beta was ending, and that they may want to use their money to purchase the full game instead of buy into a very short beta test.

I wish Stoic had been more open about this in the first place, I think it would have helped alleviate the perception that Factions is one big cash grab.

Alex
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
You didnt get banned, just suspended for a couple days, and the guy you told not to join beta is sweetjer, one of our biggest supporters. Wasn't personal anyway, we like having you around, we've said that before. :)

Glad you are enjoying the game, Andrew! I agree that it's interesting we get negative feedback about microtransactions, I think because "f2p" is such a hated concept. Truth is, I haven't given myself any bonus because (I think) the game is more fun with a progression to it.

Catch you in battle!

sweetjer
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
in defense of Stoic and because my name was said in a thread.... Jim, you were trolling chatbox telling potential customers of an indie studio not to buy in cause it "wasnt worth it"... at that point there were still 2 months left of beta. 2 day ban sounds fair to me...

Anyway, Andrew, nice review man. I'm gonna start checking your blog on the regular, always like to have more gaming stuff to read at work :)

jimntonik
02-22-2013, 03:35 PM
@sweetjer

Sorry to hear that you didn't appreciate my advice, but at that point all we knew was that the game was due to be released in "November". I was trying to look out for you, and if you felt that 2 months of beta was worth paying for at that point, I'm happy to hear it. I think most people would feel their money better invested in picking up a copy of the full game, but clearly your opinion isn't the same as mine. It certainly wasn't worth it in my opinion, and I haven't changed my opinion in the time since - especially since Factions itself is F2P, and still has a lot of kinks to be worked out.

@Alex,

I'm glad to hear it. At the time, you seemed more interested in giving me my money back and less interested in my feedback. I hope you guys take the time to implement some of the changes I suggested back in '12, they would certainly help address many of the issues you mentioned in your recent Kickstarter update.

Budikah
02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
I'll say that I'm really enjoying the game and I've spent a decent bit of time with it. My only complaint is that I purchased into the Beta only to have the game be released a few days later - which I chalk up to my mistake. While I hope they adjust renown values - I hope that my early purchase of renown won't be wasted when the value could potentially change.

Either way I'm glad I get to support a small studio making a game that so far I've enjoyed immensely. I've already clocked about 18 hours of playtime which is more than I've gotten out of games that I've paid twice what I paid for this.

stoicmom
02-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Great review, Andrew, and THANKS!

AndrewW
02-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Glad this was well received, minus Jim's little issue. Happy that's all worked out tho. :) Can't wait to see what is to come with this game.

Slimsy Platypus
02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Great read Andrew, thanks! Hope to see you in battle soon :)