PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Wordplay

marqaha
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
I wanted to share my observations from my very first Factions match. I was paired with a player named "Wordplay."

He or she kindly engaged me in chat, asked about my experience, and upon learning that I was a true noob he or she immediately set to mentor me. Yes, I got my ass kicked, utterly, but Wordplay made losing feel rewarding.

Wordplay interrupted his or her own turns and advised me of sound strategy, drew my attention to his or her own actions, and otherwise eased me into the game in a way that no tutorial could.

Thanks to Wordplay I'm encouraged to log in again for another beating, and if this warm welcome is typical I'm sure many other new players will feel comfortable joining this community.

Arnie
02-23-2013, 01:43 AM
You know, as awesome as this is to read I must say you'd probably have this very same experience with most of the veterans in the game. This is seriously the coolest community I've ever been a part of.
Very glad your first experience was a good one, now you know how to treat the next "newb" you meet. Kick their ass, but do it helpfully in a rewarding manner. :)

Wordplay
02-23-2013, 02:59 PM
@marqaha: You're very welcome - as Arnie said, veterans did the same for me, and I'm glad to be able to pass it on. How are you finding the game since our match? Any thoughts?

I find there's a steep learning curve - it did take me quite a long time to get a victory when I started, but it was really rewarding when I did.

marqaha
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm still climbing up that learning curve but the basics are gelling in my head. At this point I'm still often surprised by some subtle condition that I didn't recognize or predict, but I'm still having fun. Free time has been at a premium this weekend so I haven't been able to immerse myself in Factions the way I'd like to.