PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop gaming thread

Flickerdart
05-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Video games are great and all, but sometimes you want to get together with a bunch of people and toss funny shaped dice, sometimes to determine the effectiveness of your actions but mostly because the kender's player is irritating everyone again.

So, tabletops. D&D? World of Darkness? Mouseguard? Why is the one you play the best, and all others terrible? How many dice do you own, and why do you need so many? Discuss!

Personally, I'm a D&D 3.5 guy through and through. Yes, its balance is shot to bits. Yes, some of the rules make no sense. But with enough game mastery, it offers an unparalleled amount of options. Sadly, Pathfinder utterly failed to fix anything about it, but at least their psionics are really cool.

Kimberly
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I have an odd relationship with tabletop games. I hear a lot about them, and they always sound really interesting, but I've never actually participated in one, so I don't know if I have the right idea about them. Are the statistics usually very important, or does enjoyment hinge more on the DM's narrative? How do you even go about finding people into tabletop games? I can't say I know a single person who is.

kincajou
05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Assuming we're talking about pen and paper RPG's,paranoia is definitley amongst my favourite, closely followed by capharnaum and INS/MV (yeah i'm a french/ blegian gaming addict)
paranooia is quircky and assuming the DM is prepared can be picked up by people without any knowledge of the rules.
I played and mastered quite a bit of D&D 3.5and its great fun but with experience i have learned that the wizard of the coast tactic is to just release expansion upon expansion untill the edition is broken then release the next one. So, yeah i gave up on d&D when my players started bringing in new manuals with game destroying rules.

Normal tabletop games... too many to mention all of them, but here are my best;
memorable mentions
-ghost stories
-dungeon twister
-kingsburg
-cyclades
-settlers of catan

dihonourable mention;
-monopoly (all bad, all round, no redeeming features)

How do you even go about finding people into tabletop games? I can't say I know a single person who is.

-From my experience grab your friends for one evening and try something out! (you'd be surprised how many people discover themselves as board game lovers ;) )

Though having been through this many times...
-if you're going to do roleplaying pick a game that doesn't require too much rule learning, at least from the player's side (Paranoia is now my choice game to introduce any person into board gaming)

-if you're starting with some people who might be intimidated by massive rules and playing times of a pen and paper rpg i suggest building up their fun with games with some simple but fun stuff (party games like munchkin, cash and guns or BANG, should interest and entratain most casual people)

- if the people you have are actually more willing to go into less "party-games" (though having one around as a fallback is always useful) my suggtions will go for kingsburg and settlers of catan (both games with simplerules but nice gameplay and great fun)

Alternatively to find gaming groups you can either google your town+ boardgaming or check at some board game shops. In the uk i found most universities tend to have board game societies (but have been more comfortable converting my friends into gaming :P )

As for game mechanics... specifically on rpgs, it really depends on what you play :P

Arnie
05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
D&D got me into games. Period. I just tucked my 6 year old to bed after reading him Spell of the Winter Wizard - Endless Quest Adventure...Dungeons and Dragons. If I didn't have have every second of my life consumed with making The Banner Saga I'd love to take the time to get back into table top gaming. I miss dice.

Dark Jedi Dave
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I love dice, too. I loved the Artisan Dice on Kickstarter. Amazing wood dice in d6 or fudge, pledged for Jack Daniels, assorted, and Rose De Bois wood dice.

As for tabletop games, I love Shadowrun, it's definitely my favorite. Sadly, since I moved overseas 4 years ago, I haven't found people who play them =(

Suzie Q Sailaway
05-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I adore Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, Rummikub, and Apples to Apples. They're my standards when it comes to a tabletop game that isn't based on a standard deck of cards.

~Settlers of Catan: Pretty quick set up and easy to learn/initiate others into. It moves along at a nice clip. The only con is it can make you and your loved ones feel seething rage toward one another (temporarily).

~Arkham Horror: Takes *quite* a while to set up and can be a bit tedious teaching others exactly how turns are supposed to go, but it's a really fun game. Actual game play can also take *quite* some time depending on the number of players and how much luck/misfortune you all happen to have. It's got a cool feel to it because even though you don't have a DM that creates custom scenarios for you, there's enough story there to make you feel like you're really participating.Nice variety of characters to choose from as well (particularly if you get ALL the expansions. coughcough).

~Rummikub: Just really, really fun. Quick set up, fast-paced (usually), and pretty much an all-ages sort of thing. Also, tiles that click 'n' clack are almost as fun as handfuls of dice.

~Apples to Apples: Super quick set up and just plain fun/funny. You get to see how quirky or literal your friends/family are. :D

I've always wanted to give D&D a try, but I've never really known a large enough group of people into it to start up a game.

Eberict
05-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Man, I would love to introduce Kimberly to a tabletop session and welcome Arnie back to dice-rolling. If you ever find yourselves out here in Asia, I have room for guests.

While D&D didn't get me into gaming, it did get me into imagining big. I began in the fifth grade with a battered copy of 1st Ed I found at a garage sale; the other prefects and I would gather in the backstage before morning assembly and play out a scenario as best as we could without a Dungeon Master. We really didn't understand what we were doing beyond rolling dice and beating down monsters, but it made us feel awesome. Later, I got involved with TSR as a playtester and dove in from there.

Although I began with D&D, I haven't stayed with it. After WotC took over, it lost some of its appeal to me. Even if I don't play Pathfinder, Paizo is a much more fan-friendly company, so I side with them more than I do WotC. I tried other systems in college (Exalted, WoD, Palladium/RIFTS, Fuzion, L5R) and wrote a little during the d20 boom for independent companies. It's given me a real appreciation for the systems that underpin the joined narrative of tabletop gaming. Now, I try all sorts of independently produced games--Remnants, Mouse Guard, Parsec, Qin, TOR, Apocalypse World--and have come to appreciate the simple but robust offerings that exist outside of D&D. (I've also learned that the French are the masters of creating easy to use/hard to break systems, but that isn't surprising considering that they also make some of the best board games.) This month I'll be beginning my campaign locally using Remnants' Rapidfire System combined with a little Apocalypse World. Hoping for good things.

Suzie, if you like Apples to Apples, you should look into a board game called 'The Resistance.' I got it recently as an alternative to the LONG Arkham Horror setup/play. Resistance is 30 minutes and a lot of fun. You won't regret it!

And to answer Kimberly's question "Are the statistics usually very important, or does enjoyment hinge more on the DM's narrative?" That depends on your group. I find the best groups are the ones who are able to balance both, prevent their DM from narrating, and play with a sort of collaborative narrative instead.

Kimberly
05-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Err, to be clear, I was referring to my lack of knowledge of tabletop RPGs. I have played boardgames like Settlers of Catan, which is objectively awesome.

As for your offer, Eberict, if I'm ever in the neighborhood I'd love to take you up on it. ;)

mcloud357
05-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Who is into Arkham prostitutes I mean Horror

Flickerdart
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
I played and mastered quite a bit of D&D 3.5and its great fun but with experience i have learned that the wizard of the coast tactic is to just release expansion upon expansion untill the edition is broken then release the next one. So, yeah i gave up on d&D when my players started bringing in new manuals with game destroying rules.
The Player's Handbook was easily the most broken and unbalanced book in 3.5, at least if you don't include the ill-fated Truenamer from Tome of Magic. Most of the later expansion books served to address the spellcaster-melee imbalance, and give mundanes meaningful options that weren't "I walk up to him and full attack".

Eberict
05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
In 3.5, I found that the outcry against spellcasters depended greatly upon your group and your Dungeon Master. The Dungeon Masters with the wisdom to limit the sourcebook materials brought to the table usually experienced the imbalance less, and in my own groups, using just the core materials, melee usually had no problem matching up to and even besting spellcasters. In a straight up, twenty-paces-at-noon scenario, yes the caster has the upper hand, but an intelligent enough melee mundane with the know-how to choose his own battlefield and dictate the rules of engagement through basic cunning and guile typically sliced through the paper tiger that is a wizard or a cleric in a matter of seconds.

Haha, even the truly impressive and scary opponents in the games we played in d20/3.5 were the other Fighters with that same determination to command the battlefield, not the spellcasters. It all boiled down to control: the one forced to react was the one who would undoubtedly lose, so it paid to do your homework and dictate the terms.

kincajou
05-14-2012, 10:15 AM
@Suzie, if you like arkham horror i'd suggest you look at ghost stories, its one of the harders co-op games i've ever played (it took me and my group nabout five playthroughs to move from beginner to intermediate mode :P ) but it is one of those games that makes you say "no! i will NOT be beaten by stupid peices of card! Bring it on again!"

@kimberly, catan is the game that taught me probability does not work :P

@ebericht and flickerdart, yeah like all rpg's games usually depend very much on the dm's abilities. Currently i'm one of those DM's that prefer non combat focused games lie world of darkness, i always got really bored by D&D 3.5 edition combat... too much hotseat time

Eberict
05-14-2012, 10:35 AM
@ebericht and flickerdart, yeah like all rpg's games usually depend very much on the dm's abilities. Currently i'm one of those DM's that prefer non combat focused games lie world of darkness, i always got really bored by D&D 3.5 edition combat... too much hotseat time

Haha, the hotseat time problem is why I now advocate simpler rulesets. The bulk of the rules in the systems I like are still for combat, but that's also because I prefer to handle the social parts of the game through roleplaying; the recent (since 2000) push to put numbers to social aspects of roleplay get too abused by bully GMs and players unwilling to commit wholly to their characterisations. (At least in my experiences.) In combat and non-combat oriented games, though, I find that the best GMs are the ones who place the most importance on ramifications and consequences of actions both on and off the battlefield and not on tangible social rewards and loot monty hauls.

Suzie Q Sailaway
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Oof! I need to wait until I'm not KickStarter poor (a whole new measure of moneylessness...ness!) any more, but The Resistance & Ghost Stories look like a lot of fun.

balnoisi
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
as a teenager i used to play pen&paper RPGs, actually i introduced my friends into them and i was very proud of it.

my favorite was The Call of Cthulhu, think i bought like 5 or 6 books of them. i fondly remember being mostly GM as a great pleasure.

also owned Aquelarre, it was based on the low-medieval age in the different kingdoms that conformed Spain in the 14th century, which had christians, jews, muslims.. using a very specific and historical frame but then implementing all the magical traditions, legends, tales and mythical creatures of such rich folklore. so it was kind of a "realistic historically accurate" game with "realistic historically accurate magical creatures".

of course i played D&D a few times, but was never into it too much. i preferred focusing on the storytelling, the atmosphere, immersion.. while every game of D&D seemed to be about slashing and throwing fireballs. too much dice throwing like it was a contest. quite boring. and i thought: "wait, i have the SNES games whenever i want that".

with the years i started playing Live RPGs, which were great when they worked properly. you got to really play the part (your role) and investigate, or outsmart other players... (also no dice were thrown, haha). we used locations that were carefully prepared (much like film sets), costumes or clothes according to the story and all kinds of atrezzo (i think you call them "props" in english).
sometimes they felt like improvised theatre. the boundaries between playing a game, acting, or even artistic happenings/performances were diffuse.

ScottMBruner
05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
I run two Pathfinder campaigns: Rise of the Runelords and Council of Thieves. Pen and Paper and dice are the second best thing to turn-based strategy games based on Nordic lore.

The Shadowrun campaign even got me psyched to run a Shadowrun game.

I own all editions (except 3.5) of D&D but I love how Pathfinder streamlined the whole thing, although I admit I think it's overpowered, there is no first level D&D anymore.

LoliSauce
05-15-2012, 03:26 AM
You might as well call me Kimberly, because my post was going to be roughly the same thing.

...actually please don't call me Kimberly, it would be confusing and could cause gender confusion.

Anyway, I mostly never had the chance to get into tabletop or new school board gaming due to my family's nomadic living habits while I was growing up. After I moved out for college and whatnot I had a lot of friends that used to play some tabletop game or another, but I never managed to get a real game in with anyone. I think there's a group that get together at libraries or some shit here in Vegas, but I have no solid idea of who/when/where/how to contact/etc.

It's unfortunate. I think I would have a lot of fun with it, as I like storytelling and getting everyone laughing or excited about things.

Oh, and to all those who've mentioned enjoying Apples 2 Apples, check out Cards Against Humanity (http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/). You can print off your own cards for free (they provide a printable pdf) and buy the expansion if you like it enough. It's basically the exact same game, but with more ridiculous (and usually terrible) questions and answers. There's even an online clone (http://pyz.socialgamer.net/) that I often play with friends in the middle of the night. (voice chat highly advised for maximum humor value)

kincajou
05-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Haha, the hotseat time problem is why I now advocate simpler rulesets. The bulk of the rules in the systems I like are still for combat, but that's also because I prefer to handle the social parts of the game through roleplaying; the recent (since 2000) push to put numbers to social aspects of roleplay get too abused by bully GMs and players unwilling to commit wholly to their characterisations. (At least in my experiences.) In combat and non-combat oriented games, though, I find that the best GMs are the ones who place the most importance on ramifications and consequences of actions both on and off the battlefield and not on tangible social rewards and loot monty hauls.

completely agree with you there, personally most of my games tend to minimise the use of rules all round. In paranoia i have actually removed the combat rules and based most actions on "drammatic need"... it removes a lot of player "freedom" but i found it fits nicely with the idea and as long as i remain fair and keep the game fun players don't really care if the enemy laser should really have vaporised their arm or not :P.

As for the rewards, i agree with you, which is mostly why i like to take about a week to prepare my missions, it allows me to add the little props, DM elements that allow consequences for the actions and to debreif the characters from their last mission appropriately (granted in paranoia half the time they get terminated but its the surreal logic which the computer uses to come to its conclusions which makes the debreifings worthwhile).

kincajou
05-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Anyway, I mostly never had the chance to get into tabletop or new school board gaming due to my family's nomadic living habits while I was growing up. After I moved out for college and whatnot I had a lot of friends that used to play some tabletop game or another, but I never managed to get a real game in with anyone. I think there's a group that get together at libraries or some shit here in Vegas, but I have no solid idea of who/when/where/how to contact/etc.

If you google vegas+ roleplaying games you should get something,
here is what i found;

http://roleplaying-games-rpgs.meetup.com/cities/us/nv/las_vegas/

LoliSauce
05-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Word. Guess I haven't put in much effort to look them up. Thanks for the link.

Looking at it, I've actually met with two of these groups before by happenstance, one in particular being the Steampunk society guys. They are some interesting people!

Arnie
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Wow, I haven't played table top gaming in a while I guess. This is great stuff.
What does 'hot seat time' mean from the table top perspective?
I still have a warm spot in my heart for D&D because of nostalgia I guess. I read the Hobbit then got into D&D and it was basically the same races and whatnot.
I like rules and dice throwing where combat is concerned, but I like the roleplaying to be devoid of rules.
One other game I did like, because it was so darn easy to die, was Darksun.
Great replies, you guys are pro and it's fun to read.

kincajou
05-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Wow, I haven't played table top gaming in a while I guess. This is great stuff.
What does 'hot seat time' mean from the table top perspective?

Basically it's the same as in videogaming. Players just sitting around doing nothing whilst waiting for others to finish their turns/actions.
With most RPG's as much as battles can be a load of fun and engaging, its usually a series of people saying what they want to do, as the rules get more complex, more time gets spent with each individual player so we increase every other player's inactivity (as they can't really take part in a player's actions).

In the end this is why most dungeon masters will find ways to streamline their games and get everyone interested as much as possible. (which usually involves more roleplay :D )

When players start regularly spinning their dice or piling them up its usually not great sign. (but it does make for pretty complex towers with all the different polyherda :P )

Eberict
05-16-2012, 06:38 AM
In the end this is why most dungeon masters will find ways to streamline their games and get everyone interested as much as possible. (which usually involves more roleplay :D )

Yeah! This is why I hunt for the simpler systems now; if I'm just going to cull a whole mess of rules from 3.5 every time I run it, I might as well just get something I feel more inclined to add to rather than subtract from. Easier to explain to players without us getting tied up in rule misunderstandings.

Plus, really, I'd rather have more fireside party dialogue than three hours spent on 5 rounds of combat. It has happened!

Ah, Dark Sun. I miss the deserts of Athas. One of the influences that probably led to my Sandfire Crest, I can safely say.

Tsuga C
05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I began gaming with the basic boxed set, moved on to AD&D, and my tabletop gaming largely (but not entirely) waned before the advent of 2E, but I never quite lost the interest in D&D over the years. Other game systems never really grabbed me. When BioWare introduced Baldur's Gate, it rekindled my desire to create characters (an addicting mini-game in and of itself) and have adventures, but I couldn't afford a decent gaming computer at the time because of my student loans.

A few months after Shadows of Undrentide was released I was able to buy a solid gaming computer (needed a new computer anyway) and that's when I purchased both Neverwinter Nights and the SoU expansion pack. I snapped up Hordes of the Underdark when it was released and those are as close as I've gotten to playing a tabletop game of D&D in many a long moon. Your school years are much more conducive to tabletop gaming, I'm afraid. Earning a living and the tabletop diasporas at the end of your high school and university years generally puts quite a crimp in your ability to gather 'round the table with 3-5 friends for a four to six-hour session once or twice a week.

My advice for the OP is to check the internet for some sort of gaming bulletin board covering your area. Maybe you'll find some folks and maybe you won't, but checking can't hurt.

kincajou
05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Plus, really, I'd rather have more fireside party dialogue than three hours spent on 5 rounds of combat. It has happened!

There was a belgian/french game called capharnaum a few years back that caught my attention enough to warrant buying it for my borther.

Arabian nights setting,
the charachters start knowing they are heroes (so it feelsnormal to be stronger than the verage human)
and one of the best rules i've ever seen in a game,the epitaph.
Essentially in capharnaum it was assumed that since you are a honourable character, you never kill your enemies (very much like what usually happens in d&d but is often forgotten :P ) players wanting to kill their enemies had to recite an "epitaph" to the character they were killing.

so unless you swung your sword to the evil djin saying something in the likes of "may the eternal sands of death crush you as my sword slices your throat", his head would still be on his shoulders.

Unfortunately finding french speakers in the uk willing to play a game that was massively lore/RP focused has proven impossible... here's hoping for a translation eventually :P

Repoman
05-17-2012, 03:03 AM
I love tabletop gaming. Just for the pure social aspect of it. I was even lucky enough to work at Games Workshop for 3 years, then moved to a comic book store / board game store for a couple of years. Those years were my golden boardgame years.

Warhammer not withstanding, I love Arkham Horror, Zombies!!!, Settlers of Catan, Advanced Third Reich, and Space Hulk. Not to mention the myriad of Card Games that are out there.

But closest to my heart is still RPGs. Pen and paper. I usually GM the whole ordeal, Call of Cthulhu, White wolf ADVENTURE! (A perfect indiana jones pulp action rpg), SCION (like American Gods but with superpowers. I ran it like The Avengers movie) Pendragon, Warhammer and Dark Heresy.

My style of running a game focused very little on actual dice rolling and more on the story telling, the rules and mechanics still remained, but battles were very stream lined with "extras" that could be killed easily and then a few bosses that everyone needed to work together to bring down. After a while, a sort of "house rules/universal" system came about, borrowing from everything, allowing for constant participation.

I miss those days. :(

Eberict
05-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Arabian nights setting

You caught my attention with just that alone. The fact that it is a French game only adds to my conviction that it has a wonderful system forming the backbone of its premise. Did I mention that the French make the best games? Gosh. If only I could understand French; I'd suggest it to the Cubicle 7 boys up in the UK, but they've got such a huge backlog and I want them to finish translating Yggdrasil already because I adore 7ème Cercle's ability to create simple yet masterful and thematic systems.

I may steal the epitaph rule in the future. Unfortunately, I think I'm the only GM in my area who pays attention to the psychology of killing other fictional human beings. I was so appalled when a newer GM I played under kept refused to let me subdue enemies and forced upon my character this 'ruthless killer' persona. I got so angry at him for that! "Reflect upon your error before passing on to the next life!"

kincajou
05-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Argh! You got me looking through the 7eme cercle website checking out yggdrsil...
And there's another rpg that adds to the list.
Too many games to play and not enough players....goddamnit!

I have encountered many players which just refuse to roleplay, unfortunately i die a little inside when it happens. There are actually two players whom i have refused to master because they're that breed... the ones who use rules to minmax and abuse the story, and then somehow it isn't acceptable that them insulting the high king of an empire means they get thrown in a prison even if they have stupid intimidate scores.
Oh, the evenings spent trying to explain that your score is nice and well but shouting at a guard who's got about twenty other friends around isn't going to help your cause in any way!

Though i haven't quite finished ruining these player's lives just yet :P... currently they're my brother's group and i've convinced him to make a campaign which is going to be based around roleplaying and survival.

Eberict
05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Argh! You got me looking through the 7eme cercle website checking out yggdrsil...
And there's another rpg that adds to the list.

Mission accomplished, :3c

I have encountered many players which just refuse to roleplay, unfortunately i die a little inside when it happens. There are actually two players whom i have refused to master because they're that breed... the ones who use rules to minmax and abuse the story, and then somehow it isn't acceptable that them insulting the high king of an empire means they get thrown in a prison even if they have stupid intimidate scores.
Oh, the evenings spent trying to explain that your score is nice and well but shouting at a guard who's got about twenty other friends around isn't going to help your cause in any way!

Oh man, that type. You always run into a couple of them. My group had a few, but at least they tried to roleplay and to consider the consequences of certain actions. Sometimes, though, it isn't really a failure of effort, just a difference of mental wiring. I knew a guy who legitimately could not think in a non-numerical manner. He tried and he tried to roleplay, but couldn't get away from the safety of the system, haha.

First rule my high school gaming group was forced to learn: No matter what level you are, no matter how powerful you become, the second you piss off an angry mob, you're dead. There are reasons mighty empires have fallen to angry mobs, haha.

Flickerdart
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Eh, insulting the high king has its time and place. Such as if you've got a dragon parked in his throne room, and he is currently chewing on the last of the royal guard...oh, and the high king was supposed to be your quest-giver before you jumped off the rails 13 levels ago and decided to take his job for yourselves.

Eberict
05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Hahaha, but not if the only thing you have to back it up is an intimidation score! ;)

Also, what are rails? They don't exist for me, haha.

Flickerdart
05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
A high Intimidate score isn't a huge problem in 3.5 - all it does is get him Friendly, and once you leave he drops all the way down to Unfriendly - and having an Unfriendly king is not a good idea.

But the attitudes table is bonkers in general (it's only a DC60 check to turn someone from trying to kill you to someone willing to die for you, in 6 seconds, using Diplomacy).

Eberict
05-18-2012, 06:34 AM
I don't know, man. I think I'd still want something more tangible behind me than a scary visage. Like an army or a sword of legend or a plan (assassination and escape), hahaha.

Also that is why I eschewed the new social rules. We didn't need no social rules in 2e! Still don't need them now.

kincajou
05-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Well said, my personal favourite rule breaking moment was actually my fault. I happened to be playing around an lesser experienced dungeon master and decided i was going to play a bard gnome (illusionist) mainly because i wanted to stand the case that removing both of those from 4e crippled the game (especially the rp element).
Now, the DM made a series of bad mistakes and i ended up teaming with an orc who cut out stone chunks out of dungeons which i would then sell as giant lumps of gold.

Breaking a game is harsh and i did only play one session with this character (it does become boring very quickly) but the story stands to show how a stupidly high bluff skill can, according to the rules, make me convince the king that "yes, you did just see me stab your wife in front of you... but really she was an evil demon from beyond the planes. And i'm a lammasu trapped in a human body! Honest."

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/archive.asp?nextform=viewcomic&id=1013

Flickerdart
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
You don't need Bluff to break the economy. Just cast Wall of Iron, and then sell the iron. Or craft infinite quarterstaves as a free action and then sell them as firewood.

Eberict
05-18-2012, 07:12 PM
You don't need Bluff to break the economy. Just cast Wall of Iron, and then sell the iron. Or craft infinite quarterstaves as a free action and then sell them as firewood.

You need permanency spells for that and plenty of Manuals of Bodily Health.

Kaffis
05-19-2012, 12:20 PM
For Pen & Paper RPGing, I've mostly grown out of the prep-heavy 3.x. Too much time building enemies and painstakingly applying templates to run the game for our group. I've also kind of soured on the way the d20 craze in the early part of the decade really made everything d20 feel kind of bland since *everything* got a d20 flavor.

That said, I didn't mind 4th edition, but my group never really warmed up to it. We did enjoy Star Wars Saga Edition for a while -- that's probably my pick for the best d20 system out there.

Recently, our group's been playing 4th edition Shadowrun after coming off a run with the FATE-powered Dresden Files RPG. I've been particularly amused by my online Scion and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying play by posts. I'm looking forward to getting MHRP played live with another group soon.

Board game wise, my short list of favorites include: Settlers of Catan, of course; A Game of Thrones, now that they finally came out with a second printing; Ticket to Ride; Formula D; Rallyman; Rail Baron; Fortune and Glory; Small World; Munchkin; Kill Doctor Lucky; and Illuminati.

If you're looking to get friends into board gaming, I recommend starting with the likes of Small World, Kill Doctor Lucky, Formula D, or Ticket to Ride. They're all pretty quick to learn, but also do a good job of allowing one to slowly grow into developing strategy over the course of a few games.

Despite my mild skepticism, I'm looking forward to starting a semi-regular group to play Risk: Legacy with, after hearing several people sing its praises.

Last, but not least, let's not forget wargaming! I play Warhammer 40k with some regularity these days (mostly just kind of killing time until we see if there's a 6th edition release this summer), have been dipping a toe into Warhammer Fantasy, and love it when I can get a game of Crimson Skies in. I've recently been thinking about looking around for some Blue Max or Wings of War action locally.

I'm rather intrigued by the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars licensed miniatures dogfighting game due to be released this summer.

Flickerdart
05-19-2012, 03:14 PM
You need permanency spells for that and plenty of Manuals of Bodily Health.
Why? Wall of Iron lasts forever - the iron it produces is nonmagical.

Eberict
05-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Why? Wall of Iron lasts forever - the iron it produces is nonmagical.

... At last I have found out why spellcasting in 3.x is broken...

Why, in my day, *shakes cane* we had to give up Constitution points to make something permanent! Razzin frazzin kids these days...

Flickerdart
05-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey, at least dragons can't spam Haste to gain age categories hundreds of times faster than normal.

LoliSauce
05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
You have joined #DnD_exploits

Hey, so do any of you guys do online tabletop gaming via voice chat and whatnot? Talked with someone recently that was going on about it.

Eberict
05-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Sadly not me. I've tried online over the years, but working with just chat or just voice/video is unnatural to me. Not in a way I could and should adapt to, but I find the online medium too limiting. I tend to play with gestures, semi-in character style, so the inability to sometimes act out what I intend rather than describe it makes the game lose the magic for me.

RocksandKittens
05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
I really like Eclipse Phase and Pathfinder. Eclipse Phase is a sort of horror sci-fi game and I've found the system very easy to use. Character creation still takes a little while, but not as long as DnD/Pathfinder, I think.

kincajou
05-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Hey, so do any of you guys do online tabletop gaming via voice chat and whatnot? Talked with someone recently that was going on about it.

Not by voice, there was a period where I played a lot of forum rpg's, then for one reason or another that faded away. It's not as good as having the players round but it does have some very entraining opportunities (and better than nothing :P)

Flickerdart
05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
So, D&D "Next" (5th edition) playtest is out. It's...not promising so far. Some examples: poison costs 100 gp, and deals 1d4 damage negated by a DC 11 Constitution check. Heavy armor costs much more, and sucks much worse than both medium and light armours. Being drunk reduces damage you take by 1d6. Crossbows deal 1 more damage on average than bows, but have a shorter range, cost more and can only be fired every other turn. If you think that people have a lot less HP now, think again - you start with hit points equal to your Constitution, and even an elf wizard has 20 HP by third level.

Electrum is back, if you're into that sort of thing, though.

Eberict
05-25-2012, 08:28 PM
The more D&D reiterates itself, the more it becomes like an MMORPG. Ever since Hasbro took over, it's gone to the dogs. And why the heck did they bring Electrum back?

At least D&D continues to follow the pattern of being a reflection of its era's prevailing paradigms...

kincajou
05-27-2012, 07:25 PM
At least D&D continues to follow the pattern of being a reflection of its era's prevailing paradigms...

I had never quite seen it that way... its quite fitting actually, and maybe mildly redeeming that each edition acts as a pop culture beacon for its decade (or half a decade if recent advances are to be trusted :P )

Ended up trying out Small world in the past few days, loads of fun! Unfortunately though i suspect as a player group we're not yet agressive enough towards each other (even though our diplomacy games would state otherwise:P).

Sinderfell
05-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I lost touch with D&D really fast when 3.5 came out. The first iteration of 3rd edition held my attention for a while, but my memories are shaped more by Baldur's Gate than real tabletop. These days I just register that it's a thing which exists.

One of the things I do go full fanboy over is Warhammer, though. Wargaming is just too damn pricy unless you've got friends that are just as into it as you, but both versions of the setting have a pretty strong pull on me. I've got a large chunk of the tabletop books FFG has cranked out. Deathwatch makes a good effort at making Space Marines at all more interesting, but Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader have sucked me in for days at a time. With how over the top a the setting can be, I rather like basing a campaign around the people who would be faceless mooks in something like Dawn of War.

kincajou
05-31-2012, 06:26 AM
I recently got in contact with the capharnaum creators and found out that the series is planning on being a shot lived one (all the better in my opinion, seing what happens to long franchises. However no plans seem to exist for an english translation, so i pushed them in the direction of cubicle 7 and the message will apparently be passed forward....

fingers crossed :D

Eberict
06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I recently got in contact with the capharnaum creators and found out that the series is planning on being a shot lived one (all the better in my opinion, seing what happens to long franchises. However no plans seem to exist for an english translation, so i pushed them in the direction of cubicle 7 and the message will apparently be passed forward....

fingers crossed :D

FINGERS CROSSED INDEED. Even if C7 will take a million years to translate it, hahaha.

I agree with you about shorter lived franchises. A couple of supplements here and there are enough, really. The problem with the really long-lived ones is that it stops being about complementing what exists and becomes more about provoking your player base to purchase more. Paizo has a good system for that because they diversify and offer subscription discounts, but other than that, most folks don't handle it well.

Flickerdart
06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Eh, a long-running system has a chance to get better as it runs along. For instance, a lot of late 3.5 material helped address assumptions in the earlier books that ended up being completely unjustified. Ideally, though, they'd have figured this out before printing the early books in the first place.

A short splat run works best with more rules-light systems, though, where you really don't need that much content to encompass almost every conceivable situation.

LoliSauce
06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
A friend that frequents SomethingAwful forums linked this amusing thread titled Dungeons & Douchebags (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473646) listing out various characters that embody some terribly silly or annoying archetype. I'm sure some of you guys will get a few laughs.

kincajou
06-10-2012, 06:01 AM
An Illithid farming dryads so he can "go vegetarian"

reminds me of when a group of players decided to use the purify food and water spell to purify the monster they just killed and make rations out of it....

kincajou
06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Bought BANG yestarday and planning on trying it out tomorrow with my group, anyone played it/got ny suggestions?

Eberict
07-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Oh, I played a couple games of BANG a few years ago at my LGS! It was a fun type of game, really just a set up and play type too. Not so sure on how to make suggestions for it, but I can attest that it is a fun game to pull out for parties and gatherings! Like Munchkin, the cards'll tell you everything you need to know.

leoleez
07-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Gosh, not to rez an old thread. But love boardgames. Mainly strategy board games;. But those require much thinking... most people don't play them. D&D was a bit hardcore for me, I always preferred Dungeon Lite, like Descent, the focus on tactical gaming really gets me. Can't wait till Banner Saga comes out!

kincajou
07-24-2012, 06:28 AM
So,
BANG is very much an entertaining game, very fast paced and a lot of fun. Not incredibly focused on strategy but enough so to allow players to still have a lot of fun. Of all the games we have in our group it's probably the fastest, followed closely by 7 wonders. In the end i was quite happy with it and would compare it to the likes of "Cash and Guns".

leoleez, if you like strategic games, have a look into Dungeon Twister. I don't remember if it received an english release but it's definitley one of my favourite strategy games

Surloch
07-24-2012, 09:12 PM
D&D (Dark Sun was my favourite campaign setting), with a bunch of other smaller studio rulesets like Vampire the Masquerade, Shadowrun etc.

Also tabletop gaming bigtime with Warhammer and now recently Mantic's Kings of War (the kickstarter got me interested).

Boardgame wise I also backed Sedition Wars, really looking forward to it arriving.

Really I'll give most things a go and if there was more hours in the day I'd be playing all the things!

Arnie
08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
As I mentioned...I love Dark Sun as well.

Urist McDorf
01-31-2013, 07:27 AM
I'm a DnD 4e guy, personally. Incredible tactical depth of the combat system and the general focus on narrativism make it really fun for me. Shame it's rather hard to find a good game of it online for some reason.

Yeah, I play exclusively over the internet since none of my RL friends are interested in PnPs. We usually coordinate on an IRC channel then use either Fantasy Grounds 2 or MapTools for the actual playing. That or just another IRC channel if we don't need maps.

SharkSummoner
01-31-2013, 10:58 PM
I wish they made more video games based off Tabletop games. Especially Warhammer Fantasy Battle,Old\New World of Darkness,Runequest,The Call of Cthulhu Rpg, Pathfinder,Fantasy Flights Warhammer 40k Rpg's, Netrunner, Arkham Horror, Summoner Wars, Descent(the boardgame not the FPS), and Scion. Those settings/games would be fun to play on a console or a computer.

Urist McDorf
02-01-2013, 04:01 AM
Meh. Original vidya settings usually aren't too bad, either. I'd rather explore new worlds than rehash already existing ones. Oh, and there's plenty of WH40k games already.

SharkSummoner
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Yes but none of the Warhammer 40k games do a good job of showing the setting and usually skim over how evil the space marine's, imperial guard, and Eldar can be. Also I don't see how games like Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, are "rehashing" when they have there own storylines, you can make a unique game in any setting and it not rehash anything.As long as the gameplay and story are smooth I don't consider any game based on a tabletop game a rehash. I wasn't saying games based of tabletop games where superior to original ones, not at all, it's just when they are there usually good. That's the weird thing about licensed games,they're ususally bad unless based off of either tabletop games or Novels. Anyway Shadowrun Returns is coming out in the Summer, and Relic survived THQ's death so everthing is fine thanks for your time.

Urist McDorf
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes but none of the Warhammer 40k games do a good job of showing the setting and usually skim over how evil the space marine's, imperial guard, and Eldar can be.
Well, that's kind of what the setting is about. Grim darkness, only war, etc.

I wasn't saying games based of tabletop games where superior to original ones, not at all, it's just when they are there usually good.
Ah, it's the impression I got, sorry.