PDA

View Full Version : unbalanced matches = entry barrier = un-fun

Pinbot
02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
I just tried for the first time since the first week of beta, and...well it was a lot more fun when the teams were even. Playing against a team of higher leveled units, you know from the outset it's a lost battle because the other guy clearly is experienced in addition to having better units. Still it's a long road to get to the end, and the only hope of payoff is seeing whether you can get a few kills on the way--which incidentally means you aren't playing to win because you are leaving fully intact units for him to mop you up at the end. So having to play badly to get the consolation prize of a bit of extra reknown and more kills, it's kind of not fun.

Leveling up is great for the rpg campaign aspect. But for open pvp...well it's like pvp in an mmo--with the match massively handicapped in favor of whoever has the most hours played. Does anyone besides mmo addicts think that pvp in mmo's is fun?

Did I miss a mode where you can get a fair fight? I saw the tournament, but looking at the number of hopeless bouts I'd have to slog through to get a team of all level 1's to qualify for the tournament...no thanks.

Still totally excited for the campaign game...you know, the one I actually signed up for on kickstarter. (yes I read the last update, and I do understand how we ended up here, so I'm not mad--but still pretty disappointed with present state of affairs)

erom
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
What time of day are you playing, roughly? Ideally mis-matches should be rare to nonexistent, but the player base is still pretty small (Hopefully the influx of new players tomorrow will help) and the matchmaker is struggling to find fair matches for everyone at all times during the day.

Pinbot
02-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Sunday morning (west coast usa), probably not prime time. I'll give it another shot at a more likely hour.

Floyd Ryan
02-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Usually you find very balanced opponents, the deviation is very small. Just give it another try! :)

sweetjer
02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Try again tomorrow, Pinbot. Part of the issue with matchmaking atm is the small player pool. After launch, finding games on equal footing should be much easier. Stoic has been revising the system to alleviate these issues. Also, in my experience you shouldn't necessarily give up on uneven matches. Though it's discouraging to get matched unevenly, some of my most rewarding games this past week have been those where I was outranked by 2-3 units and still managed to win. Have fun, hope to see you in battle!

Also, just for the record, I love your handle. Bride of Pinbot is one of my favorite tables, if that's the reference.

Pinbot
02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice! I've been rocking the pinbot handle for...damn probably more than a decade now, and I believe you are the first to guess that it is all about Bride.

Softclocks
02-26-2013, 06:08 AM
In my 5th match I was pit against the guy currently ranked numbe 4 on the list of "most played games".

Needless to say I was butchered :)

Ziggy
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
All of my prerelease games were against higher level, experienced dudes who I essentially handed some renown on a plate, but since release I've been playing people at or below my level. I really think it was just a numbers thing. I'd wait for the numbers to settle down before worrying that anything needs changing.