Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Linux, Mobile, and Ports, Oh my!

Linux, Mobile, and Ports, Oh my!

Thank you do I down load on my Mac Pro. Can game be downloaded on iPhone,iPad or just my Mac pro

Mac OS and Windows only for now, Linux/IOS/Android is not yet supported

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    Mac OS and Windows only for now, Linux/IOS/Android is not yet supported

darn, i hope linux gets some love soon

Icetiger, sorry to say but any porting of Factions will only potentially come after the single player game/s.

In the last Kickstarter update, Stoic has said that the single player game will be ported to Linux, but the free to play multiplayer will not be ported in the mean time, so as not to distract their energy and funds from the main project.

This game definitely needs porting to mobile devices in the future, and simple UI adds to this
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

@nazgul. I don't know about a direct copy to mobile. Do you think the timer could be made to work (accounting for lag and unreliable network connectivity)? I'd like to see an alternate version that is mostly hotseat and PBEM .

If played through wifi then I don't see any connection problems [more serious than current connection problems with lots of players]. One problem though could be matching PC/mac steam players and non-steam mobile players together.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Stoic has said that the single player game will be ported to Linux, but the free to play multiplayer will not be ported in the mean time, so as not to distract their energy and funds from the main project.
    So we wont see a Linuxversion any time soon?

Not until after the Saga at the earliest.

As per John (Tech Director):

The Banner Saga: Factions will indeed be available to all backers without a Steam requirement, as promised. We can already authenticate and log players in with their stoicstudio.com account credentials, but a few more pieces of technology need to be developed in order to make that happen:

1. Efficient client updating. We frequently update the client, and requiring a fresh multi-gigabyte download every time we do this is not feasible. Steam provides an efficient update system that only downloads the changed portions of the total package.

2. Payment processing. Steam provides a wallet system that allows players to buy things in the Market. We need to choose and integrate with a non-Steam payment processor.

3. Friend Lists. We need a way to manage friends in-game, independent of Steam.

These things are all being worked on in conjunction with the rest of the work going into the Saga. Though Factions is Steam-only for now the plan is still to port it as soon as we can, once we've gotten the single player done to the best of our ability.
    Also see,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...a/posts/410956

A few questions down. This is also for the benefit of other non-backers wondering.
    Last edited by raven2134; 03-03-2013 at 01:45 AM.

So, is there any more information on when a Linux version will be released. I'm beginning to regret backing this project.

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Several ports are currently underway, in various stages. I'm personally working on the iOS and Android ports, and I'm working with some outside agencies in the early stages of Linux, PS4 and XBone ports. Once those are finished, we will hopefully go further down that road! Once we have some solid ETAs we will announce dates.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    and I'm working with some outside agencies in the early stages of Linux, PS4 and XBone ports.
    I am a Linux user and a backer of the project. When the project was pitched in Kickstarter, Linux was among the supported platforms. Backers paid to have the game out on Windows/Mac/Linux. Now the game has been out for Windows/Mac for months and you are telling us you just started porting to Linux? Where did PS4 and XBone even came from? Should you not be delivering first for the kickstarter platforms?

Yeah I am ranting a bit.

13.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    I suppose my statement 'early stages' may be a little misleading since it sounded like I am 'just starting' porting to linux. Perhaps I should have clarified that I 'started porting' to all these platforms from the beginning, and to the extent possible kept my porting plans in mind throughout development, to make it easy to complete the ports when the time came. While a simultaneous release on all target platforms would have been the most desirable situation, it was not possible. I would remind you that I am the only programmer responsible for the launch of the game, and now for the porting work that needs to be done. The Windows and Mac platforms were completed in January, and we are not going to delay releasing them while we work on the other platforms.

Linux, XBox, and PSN are all on the list of platforms we will support. Fortunately, the porting technique we have selected is such that post of the work is shared between all platforms. In fact, since Linux is most similar to Windows and Mac, it is will likely complete earlier than others. For the best information we have on the relative importance of platforms to our backers as a whole, please refer to the survey we took during the Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...a/posts/192814

TLDR; I am working on it as fast as I can. Hopefully your patience and my workload will meet halfway.

Quote Originally Posted by dulbirakan View Post
    I am a Linux user and a backer of the project. When the project was pitched in Kickstarter, Linux was among the supported platforms. Backers paid to have the game out on Windows/Mac/Linux. Now the game has been out for Windows/Mac for months and you are telling us you just started porting to Linux? Where did PS4 and XBone even came from? Should you not be delivering first for the kickstarter platforms?

Yeah I am ranting a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I suppose my statement 'early stages' may be a little misleading since it sounded like I am 'just starting' porting to linux. Perhaps I should have clarified that I 'started porting' to all these platforms from the beginning, and to the extent possible kept my porting plans in mind throughout development, to make it easy to complete the ports when the time came. While a simultaneous release on all target platforms would have been the most desirable situation, it was not possible.
    I understand and respect that. I was not expecting a simultaneous release any way but I have to admit I thought you would get Linux done first before heading off to other ports.

I would remind you that I am the only programmer responsible for the launch of the game, and now for the porting work that needs to be done. The Windows and Mac platforms were completed in January, and we are not going to delay releasing them while we work on the other platforms.
    That is good to know. Limited resources is a valid reason for some delay but then I am concerned if doing three simultaneous ports is the best use of your limited resources? You also mentioned a third party port... What is that about?

Linux, XBox, and PSN are all on the list of platforms we will support. Fortunately, the porting technique we have selected is such that post of the work is shared between all platforms. In fact, since Linux is most similar to Windows and Mac, it is will likely complete earlier than others.
    Some good news at least.

For the best information we have on the relative importance of platforms to our backers as a whole, please refer to the survey we took during the Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...a/posts/192814

So the red lines are first choices, which means Linux is the first choice of more people than PSN and almost as popular as XBLA. The cumulatives may be misleading as there is no additional cost associated with asking for the game in another platform. Then again, did the kickstarter mention Xbox or PS as platforms? I am not saying "Do not port to Xbox or PS", I am saying "Give kickstarter platforms priority (if you are doing so, make it obvious maybe?)". Not that I think it will have any effect on your decisions, but I want you to know what I am thinking as a backer of your project.

TLDR; I am working on it as fast as I can. Hopefully your patience and my workload will meet halfway.
    Again, good to know. Looking forward to the game.

I am also a bit disappointed about you not porting the multiplayer portion but I guess it is too late to complain about at this moment.

15.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #15
    Since the game is implemented almost entirely in AS3 bytecode, with C++ ANE wrappers for FMOD and Steamworks, the approach we are taking to porting is wrapping it in the Scaleform middleware. Scaleform is a clean-room implementation of the AS3 virtual machine that runs on many platforms. In most regards, it performs far better than Adobe AIR. Scaleform is not a 100% complete implementation of the AS3 virtual machine and the Flash SDK, so there is some work to do to adapt it. There are also some tweaks, performance optimizations, FMOD and Steamworks integration, and other loose ends to take care of. So most of the work is done ... a rewrite is not required for the port. That is what I am trying to find a 3rd party to do for me.

The work of making the game run well inside Scaleform is 90% of the remaining porting work. Making the thin platform-specific wrappers to provide the main entry points for each platform is a pretty small task. For the consoles we also have to implement the controller support, so that's one of the reasons the Linux support portion of the porting may complete earlier. Not to mention the certification and red tape hassles with actually putting the game on consoles.

I got this game on Steam and from what I have played, it is awesome and I'm very excited to play some more. I have a couple of questions about the Android version:

What is the best way to keep informed about when the Android version will be released?

Is there any way to know if the game will run on the Gen 1 Nexus 7?

Even though I already have TBS for PC, I'm definitely going to get it for Android because it's perfect for my daily bus commute. I'm just really hoping that it will work on my tablet because it's a lot less fun playing it on my phone (mind you that didn't stop me from playing Xcom on my phone)