Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: We want to see your crests!

I've been experimenting with some Viking inspired designs: name the memes and/or video game references.

What do you guys think? Any feedback? Any suggestions for other things to spoof?

They look really neat! They look a little like cave paintings out of a Scifi movie to me. I really like the one in the bottom left.

There are two down notes I might add. 1) The triforce is not a copyrighted symbol on it's own, but it might be too close for them to want to touch, so you might want to check with a colored name if you can. 2) The curve in the genial regions . . . maybe a little too much like a uterus. Not that females in the banners is a bad thing, but it might not be the impression you are going for.
    Last edited by Lukas The Dead; 06-22-2012 at 05:28 AM.

very impressive, somehow though i'm gettong more of an aztec feel from the two on the top left, on reflection i think it might be because of the "square" fingers and broad noses
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by Geburah; 06-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas The Dead View Post
    They look really neat! They look a little like cave paintings out of a Scifi movie to me. I really like the one in the bottom left.
    Thanks - they actually are inspired from the figures seen on this norse runic stone:

Viking designs sometimes do look very Aztec, especially the snake-head designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas The Dead View Post
    There are two down notes I might add. 1) The triforce is not a copyrighted symbol on it's own, but it might be too close for them to want to touch, so you might want to check with a colored name if you can. 2) The curve in the genial regions . . . maybe a little too much like a uterus. Not that females in the banners is a bad thing, but it might not be the impression you are going for.
    For the Triforce, yeah, I know. I'll probably change that figure if I decide to send it in... I did it more as a joke/fun exercise. Same for the "arrow to the knee" (top right), "Look at all the F***s I give" position (bottom right) and the draugr (Viking undead) slaying scene (bottom left).

The spirals are actually found in the original Viking figures, and I don't mind them - I think you'll find the Vikings weren't supremely aware of what fallopian tubes looked like.

One I'm working on now is a little different and doesn't quite work is a martlet done in a Viking style, based on this fibula of a raven:

The crest:

I'll probably have to modify the wing position so it fits into the crest box better, and maybe simplify some elements.
    Last edited by Geburah; 06-25-2012 at 08:04 AM.

i like this last one best

Thanks! Here it is, more "crest friendly":

I think I'll be using this one for the game!

Oarfish! Because Oarfish are crazy and really do look like something out of mythology.

It needs some cleanup and a lot of detail won't work once shrunk down, but the general idea is there!

Some really cool designs here, mine is still a work in progress but the idea is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Veringatorix View Post
    Some really cool designs here, mine is still a work in progress but the idea is there.
    if you use inkskape to draw your design in a digital form you should be able to clean out the "wobbles" in the straight lins (assuming you want to do that)

My avatar is going to be my crest. Made by gaelvin! A raven/crow on a well holding a pecan branch

I still don't have a crest. I'm not much of an artist myself.

Hi! I'm Phil, and I'm new here. THought I'd share my preliminary crest.

That's right. Squirrels... My family's crest irl is these three squirrels, so I thought I'd go that route.

Anyway, it's not done yet. Debating getting rid of the circles and it's not perfectly even.
    Last edited by MetalPhil; 08-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathmore View Post
    I still don't have a crest. I'm not much of an artist myself.
    you can look if any of the crests up for adoption appeal to you

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhil View Post
    Hi! I'm Phil, and I'm new here. THought I'd share my preliminary crest.

That's right. Squirrels... My family's crest irl is these three squirrels, so I thought I'd go that route.

Anyway, it's not done yet. Debating getting rid of the circles and it's not perfectly even.
    Nice. I'm glad I won't be the only person submitting a crazy squirrel crest. I kinda like the circles, though symmetry would probably help. And if you look at the squirrels right it kinda looks like they have no arms and two heads. Or are they supposed to be like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    Nice. I'm glad I won't be the only person submitting a crazy squirrel crest. I kinda like the circles, though symmetry would probably help. And if you look at the squirrels right it kinda looks like they have no arms and two heads. Or are they supposed to be like that?
    I assume their front legs are holding a nut out in front, thus they kind of merge in the silhouette to form the "second head" you see.

That makes sense. I still think it looks cool either way so it was more of a mention than a suggestion to change anything.

Is there going to be a formal crest submission? Are we supposed to just embed them with an IMG tag?

We'll be alerted of the official crest submission period well ahead of time, and will get a final set of guidelines at that time. Considering that the game itself is launching Q1 2013 or something like that, I imagine this will be pretty soon. Coinciding with Factions, possibly.

See avatar--nested 7-points stars. I've liked 7-stars for a long time--they're scarcely more work as a doodle than 5's and you get the fun of two variants.

I find the {7/2} messes with the eye which wants to resolve it into an squares {8/2} or triangles {6/2} so it's kind of 'slippery'. The {7/3} on the other hand is visually stable. So the nested juxtaposition of the two 7's hopefully highlights the contrast but also emphasizes their kinship and I like to think it yields a single element with a chaotic/dynamic surface around a stable/ordered heart. (pretty funny how over-theorized that simple shape is, eh?)

For the crest, the slight inflation of the 7/3 and the deflation of the 7/2 makes the whole thing feel a little more organic, makes it easier to see at the small scale, and differentiates the two elements.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast