Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: We want to see your crests!

My crest is a design based off my family crest, specifically this one: https://www.heraldry.ws/html/rutherford.html

A dear friend of mine shopped it for me to make it appropriate for submission, and he also removed the outer shield which will probably be represented by the banner itself. As for what the crest stands for, the inner orle/shield represents preservation or protection (something I'm sure my caravan will be striving for a lot in-game...), and when the orle is coupled/shaded the color of crimson it stands for military strength and magnanimity. Once again, all things a Clan should probably have in this post-apocalyptic, viking world. :P

As for the three birds, they are Martlets; mythological birds resembling a swallow, but having short tufts of feathers in the place of legs. As for their usage in my family's crest, to quote a fellow ancestor of mine:

* "The use of the martlet as a charge has two basic meanings in the symbolism of heraldry. The first and most common association is with service in the various crusades in the Middle East and Iberia. The heralds of continental Europe claimed that the beaks and legs were lost in the Holy Land fighting the Muslims. Presumably they were adopted by ancient warriors to signify their surviving a crusade. In England the martlet tends to keep its beak, and the Scottish author of "A System of Heraldry" published in 1722, Alexander Nisbet [a Rutherford descendant and Clan Hume member], stated that in England they also kept their legs, although these were very short. As you can see, all three Rutherford martlets have both beaks and feet.

The martlet has a second signifigance. When the martlet is used as a 'difference' on the shield, it indicates that the bearer is the fourth born son of the owner of the coat of arms. There is, however, no documentation of a Rutherford [or three, one for each martlet] fighting in the crusades or of a 4th son of a Lord Rutherford establishing these arms. Knowing the strictness with which the Scots have historically approached heraldry, the martlets are not placed casually. It's likely that one or both of the possible scenarios is part of Rutherford history."

* Quoted directly from an essay about my family's genealogy and crest, and authored by Gary Rutherford: https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....at_of_arms.htm
    Last edited by Shonen Hero; 05-01-2012 at 08:02 AM.

<-- my trisk-paw logo will be what I'll send in.
    I saw a tribal yin-yang symbol once that I reshaped into a triskele, and then further into a pawprint to go with my pen/art name. I did about 6 versions of the design before I was reasonably happy with the look (I'm a bit of a perfectionist).
    The logo has now become a kind of personal talisman for me, and I draw strength from it when I'm having a tough time. I intend to get it as a tattoo at some point, but I'm a sissy about pain and keep putting it off. Maybe the time isn't right yet...

Love the design, Mastermind - I'm a sucker for swirls and storms,
    Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaeris...

Like many others my crest was done by Jessica,
    having looked at her first animals i really liked the idea and settled on the raven as a mythological/norse symbol

This is the first "rough cut", I'll be tweaking it over the time... I chose the bear, because my family-name has the meaning of "little bear"
    Drink coffee! Do stupid things faster and with more energy!

Fair Winds and Good Hunting from House WulfGriff!

I've gone through a lot of edits on this image, but it still hasn't quit satisfied my desire to be as accurate and fantastical at the same time; thus I have a second version I pencilled a while ago. Haven't gotten around to doing a digital draft yet.

Renessa - The penciled one is quite whimiscal!

Really? Thanks, now excuse me whilst I blush prettily

Mine was made by Ian: https://gaelvin.tumblr.com/post/21603...sign-by-itself

It's more or less a picture of my last name Odenholm. Oden being the god Odin in swedish and holm being a small island. I think Ian really got it. I really love the style. Thanks again!!

-Jimmy

Just knocked mine up in mspaint (don't judge me haha) I used a hammer and saw as im a carpenter and the design on the shield is my family crest, the image is abit of a cliche but nevermind!! just need to ask someone if they can do the design abit more professionally

Here's probably what I'm gonna choose as my crest submission. May be too complicated ( can easily remove some of the teeth ), but I figure that if a fanatical clan had lost its gods, maybe the shamans would create one to worship and keep the people in line.

Mine will be based on this: (minus the stats, and in black and white, of course):

Azlaroc- Love the "elder gods" feel!
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

A variation of a wolf image (specifically symbolising the Fenris wolf) I've been using since I was ten.
    Not sure if I'm done with it yet.

You may have already seen my crest on the Kickstarter comments, but here it is again. I call it "The Direpug." My wife and I have a couple of pugs and since we started watching Game of Thrones, we've been calling them our direpugs and the sigil of our house. So now I really get to have it as the sigil of my house!

Mine is a raven carrying an eye, because I wanted something that invoked the idea of Odin and sacrifice. Largely because I think Odin is the most interesting of the Norse gods. I'm still tinkering with the shape of the beak (this one isn't really correct for a raven, but it looks neat), and when I finish I'll probably drag it into Illustrator to convert it to a vector image and clean up the lines.

My crest is based off of asian surname totems of my parents, "Cao" and "Wu".

Quote Originally Posted by kak268 View Post
    Renessa - The penciled one is quite whimiscal!
    Haha, thankee! It does look kind of funny in pencil, mainly because I still needed to see the lines despite areas I intend to be black, but hopefully it'll be more regal once I get it into Illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by ricknbackr360 View Post
    [...]I call it "The Direpug." [...]

Holy crap that is amazing.
    Sorry for the unproductive post, but that needed to be said!

All of these crests are so amazing! I will have to post mine tonight.

Man, there are a lot of amazing crests here! Seeing them has put mine to terrible shame... Is Jessica still doing requests and can anybody provide a link to how to contact her? I have a feeling it was in one of the updates but I haven't been able to find it. I'd love a better looking crest, unfortunately I'm no designer or artist. :/

My crest has the Horn of Odin and the Raven, both symbols of the chief deity of the Norse. The three runes at the bottom are mannaz, wunjo & perthro. Meaning (very roughly) Mankind finding joy in the unknown.
    Last edited by elykar; 05-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast