Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Draw Mechanic

And what if instead of resting or doing nothing, one of them simply moves onto a different, but equally safe square... indefinitely?

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    And what if instead of resting or doing nothing, one of them simply moves onto a different, but equally safe square... indefinitely?
    Imho draw should be declared if both players agreed to a draw. In your case one of players didn't agree to a draw.

And not agreeing on the draw creates an abusive behaviour where one player will force another to surrender or to run circles indefinitely.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    And not agreeing on the draw creates an abusive behaviour where one player will force another to surrender or to run circles indefinitely.
    Theoretically it is possible. But in practice I don't meet such situations. I think it is very rare. I only meet situation in which both players agreed to a draw.

That the game doesn't have a draw function isn't the problem. The game's entropy doesn't guarantee an unavoidable end to each session; that's the problem. A stalemate mechanism is one solution. Sudden death is another. A limited number of rounds could do it. Making the outer edge of the board disappear after a certain number of turns pushing vikings on the those spaces in one space toward the center of the board could also do it.

Or how about this: a morale slider that tracks players' loss of vikings, health, armor or the number of times you have to rest to gain willpower; when you lose a point, your opponent gains one, and after the first point the slider skips zero so if you're at 1 morale and lose 1, it brings you to -1, preventing ties. If you lose enough morale, you just lose. If enough rounds go by without any morale adjustments, the higher morale instant-wins.

I just want to restate that any draw function in the game will be abusable (either as trolling or elo-loss dodging) or give the losing player a chance to steal the win with a stalemate. The former will happen if offering/accepting draws is entirely up to the players, while the latter will happen if it's automated. Automated draws would be more desirable if harder to implement.

I'm just spit balling here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stoic already plans on doing something like this and wanted to wait until after beta to see what would be the fairest way to handle it. The game fairly screams for decisive end games.
    Last edited by Pepcart; 03-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2