Thread: Cinematic & animation

Question Cinematic & animation

Great thanks to stoic team. Game is just what I wait for: interesting, strategic, viking!
    I want to ask developers or knowledgeable people. There were many cinematics for different games where people use this cool stile of animation like in yours, similar to anima maybe (I'm not sure), when drawn paintings come alive, like in Company of Heroes Tales of Valor, Guild Wars 2.
    I tried unsuccessfully to browse and search for some tutorial. Today, when ordinary people take video responses to hollywood movies, sometimes better then original one, I want to try to do what I like. And maybe someday I create my own game with friends as cinematic designer
    Please help who can. Some tutorials, or the entire course of whatever it need to do such great movies. Thanks to those who respond.

Hi,

You should try looking for "rotoscoping". It's an old film technique where the film is split into individual frames, and each frame is drawn over. It takes a very long time, but it creates a very 'lifelike painting' style. A famous example is the film A Scanner Darkly starring Keanu Reeves, which looks like this:

I also tried it myself in a music video you can see here. It wasn't difficult but it took me a whole year to draw, so make sure you have a good artist so you can get it done quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by docjesus View Post
    I also tried it myself in a music video you can see here. It wasn't difficult but it took me a whole year to draw, so make sure you have a good artist so you can get it done quickly!
    Hi docjesus. Just saw your rotoscoped video. Very nice work, I especially liked the answer to "What do you do when you fail spectacurarly?"

And yeah, I can see how it can be (was) a pain to make. I guess the guys at "A Scanner Darkly" had more elaborate techniques (e.g. like applying a "digital filter" to each frame?) to process the video-frames.

Hey, Aleonymus, thanks for your comment on my video, but I thought I'd better answer you here too for anyone who's interested.

While the A Scanner Darkly team had infinitely more expertise and equipment at their disposal, I think the basic idea was the same: take each frame and draw over it digitally. If I'm reading the Wikipedia page correctly, it seems they would rotoscope important frames and use the software to fill in the missing frames, which is understandable considering there would be 24 frames per second of footage. By comparison, my film runs at 8fps, which I felt was as low as I could reduce the frame rate before it looked too jerky and unnatural. I ended up with 1300 hand drawn frames for roughly 3min of rotoscoped footage - I dread to think how many the A Scanner Darkly team had to draw for a 2 hour movie, even with the software that could interpolate frames for them!

There are filters you can apply to film that claim to replicate the effect of rotoscoping, but it's not even close. Only by hand-drawing it can you get that unique look. Luckily, you can still get the look even if you have no real experience (I'm a terrible artist myself) - you just have to be willing to put the time in and never give up! Which, of course, was the point of the film in the first place

I'm all for hand-drawing too. All those CG-stuff plaguing the game/video-industry lately sort of get to me. I like "detailed" hand-drawing (e.g. as in Baldur's Gate) butthis "retro-novel" theme of TBS is also interesting.

Anyway, here's an example of what I was referring as "filtering" the frames.

(It's a pic of my new avatar, I'm a also Playmobil-collector!)

All these were made with Paint.NET (free) using the software's standard-filters. There's also some scripting possibilities, in order to process multiple frames in a batch. Nevertheless, more dedicated software should do such things "automatically".