Thread: exagon map

exagon map

exagons are perfect for more tactics and directions of attack and movement. Why not ? units can move in more directions not only lateral and it can get more choices of direction especially in hall map. Exagon can reduce effectiveness of raidmasters and wearriors with facing bonuses and archers can move in more flexible way.

I'm actually kind of shocked they didn't make it hex-based, since a lot of other games have moved that way in the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by archita View Post
    exagons are perfect for more tactics and directions of attack and movement. Why not ? units can move in more directions not only lateral and it can get more choices of direction especially in hall map. Exagon can reduce effectiveness of raidmasters and wearriors with facing bonuses and archers can move in more flexible way.
    While I always like the idea of hex maps, it would not be a simple change to make - at this point, it would require a fundamental reworking of literally every mechanic in the game, I would imagine. Not to mention having to completely redo all the animation to have characters facing six directions instead of four.

For good or ill (and I say good, since the game is awesome), it's square tiles from here on out.
    Last edited by Jawbone78; 03-05-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling

I like the square times - they're more like chess, and positioning is much more important when your bulky Varl have difficulty moving on the diagonal. Hexes may be more realistic, but they also make things easier.

Yeah I like the square tiles and i think the game was made with that in mind.. Square tiles allows better movement blocking, positoning and etc... Also some game mechanics of the game wouln't work well with a hex format..

To my mind, hexagon maps are great for simulation, as they fit together nicely and don't have the feel of artifice introduced by square tiles.

But Banner Saga is emphatically NOT a simulation game; its gameplay is highly stylized to encourage balanced, dynamic gameplay--like chess but with more splash damage. By severely limiting our options, it rewards creativity within severe constraints, pushes more focus onto calculating turn order, &c.

Also, multi-space units (which play a huge part of Banner Saga) are a LOT harder to do elegantly on a hex map (sure, super mega huge 7 hex units work, but there is a huge jump from 1 hex to 7 hex, and anything in between has facing issues).

i remember that tactical way of Baldur's Gate was nice, not exactly exagon but the mix real-time + turn was awesome, i dont know why there arent real tactical melee games based on this concept..pity...

Quote Originally Posted by erom View Post
    Also, multi-space units (which play a huge part of Banner Saga) are a LOT harder to do elegantly on a hex map (sure, super mega huge 7 hex units work, but there is a huge jump from 1 hex to 7 hex, and anything in between has facing issues).
    This is the reason why Banner Saga uses a square-tile map. Units of different sizes, and the positioning and blocking strategies that go with them, add a lot of the depth and uniqueness to The Banner Saga and they really wouldn't work well on a hex grid.

One of my first games after launch was against another new player who promptly blocked in one of his own varl, found he couldn't move or attack diagonally and then typed something like "I can't believe this game has so many outdated and broken mechanics. I'm going back to <some abbreviation I didn't recognize>" and then surrendered. I feel bad for that guy because he rejected a really interesting and deep game because it wasn't what he expected it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by archita View Post
    i remember that tactical way of Baldur's Gate was nice, not exactly exagon but the mix real-time + turn was awesome, i dont know why there arent real tactical melee games based on this concept..pity...
    If I recall correctly, there are a number of recent Kickstarters promising Baldur's Gate style gameplay. So maybe it'll make a revival, even though it doesn't bring in the masses the way, say, Mass Effect's shooter-RPG hybrid does.