Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A new ladder system

A new ladder system

Right you all know I suck at writing but I had a new idea.

How about dividing the ladder into 3 sections. A power 6, power 12 and a power 18

Any team below power 6 will be an unranked game which you can still earn kills and renown for. You can't play teams which are power 7-8-9 etc without it being in friends mode.

This way we have an unranked mode, and 3 "competitive" ranked modes.

Main reason I am thinking of a new system is because in the future we are going to have 19!! yes potentially 19 different power ranks in the queue.

I don't like the idea of having a team of rank 1 guys, killing enough people and earning enough renown to upgrade one to rank 2, and then being told "oops you can't play with that guy anymore until you rank up all other members."

@Shiri. You would be able to play with him alongside your level-1s, just not in ranked games. And you could go 0-1-1-1-1-2 to try him out (if I understand the proposal right).

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    This is pretty much the system we will be using for tourneys. Power groupings.
    As far as regular global Elo in this next build (may be pushing very, very soon)you will not be awarded any Elo unless you have a Power 6 team at least.
    I like your idea Tirean.

maybe unranked mode could make it be ALL power levels if people prefered that. I just feel we need an unranked mode in which you can gain kills and renown.

I like this idea in general; I think having multiple tiers makes a lot of sense. However, I feel strongly that the tiers need to be inclusive of the in-between ranges as opposed to just covering team ranks of 6, 12, and 18. For example, having a separate ladder for each of the following team rank ranges might make sense:

0-5, 6-10, 11-14, 15-17, 18

There are of course lots of other ways this could be split up. I picked this example to narrow the range of each ladder gradually as you get closer to the top ranks.
    Last edited by InfiniteNutshell; 03-07-2013 at 02:22 PM.

This isn't a bad idea. It lets new players have an "immunity" to ladder rankings, but dedicated players will still be seen. It'd be a "training wheels ladder".

As for power rating 6+, that does seem tricky. They'd have to be separated into brackets somehow. Otherwise there will constantly be large mismatches, that is unless there is a massive population. It will be like balancing MMO pvp throughout leveling. The top power of each bracket will perform the best, while anything less will be at a disadvantage.
    ..in my avatar: my wardog & blind warsheep.

Raven had a great suggestion of making the general ranking an aggregated tourney ranking which doesn't reset while the tourney rankings would reset every week. At the same time all games outside of the tourney would be unranked games where you still earn renown and kills, just not elo.

Quote Originally Posted by piotras View Post
    Raven had a great suggestion of making the general ranking an aggregated tourney ranking which doesn't reset while the tourney rankings would reset every week. At the same time all games outside of the tourney would be unranked games where you still earn renown and kills, just not elo.
    That is a great idea. But there still needs to be matchmaking based on skill, regardless of a visible ladder or not. Not everyone is going to play the tournament and receive a rating.
    ..in my avatar: my wardog & blind warsheep.

Quote Originally Posted by piotras View Post
    Ooh this is an even better idea, and gives motivation to participate in tournaments (which is lacking right now for those of us who know they don't have much chance to place in the top 3).

Dysp, I agree with your concern about matchmaking under this system, but it's easy to resolve by using a skill-tracking mechanism for general matchmaking that is not shown publicly.

Several good players play 200+ games within their first week (blood..., nexxus, rzeznicc, and probably at least a half a dozen others since launch). I think we should keep general Elo rankings up so crazy people like them have something to work towards outside the 25 tournament games. It's good to have people like that in the game. And for the rest of us, we will know that general rankings don't necessarily reflect skill, but we'll also be able to recognize up-and-comers.

i was thinking something similar, let's see if i can manage to express it properly.

i understand by having a wider power window we reduce the chances of someone not finding a battle. but if a team with a power of 6 can be matched against a power 12, that guy probably won't risk going to battle until he has p12.

theres no reason to allow that disadvantage, no player wants that or goes looking for it. the only reason is : to increase the chances of finding a game.

i like the idea of reducing the number of team builds you can take to battle :
    so you can only go find a match if you have power 6 , 9 , 12 , 15 , 18. people with higher units will try to find a game in 12, if they can't then they change to a different power and have better luck.
    if we reduce the options, the numbers increase in them and so the chances of finding a match.

i believe this is going to happen in the next tournaments, and i don't see why it couldn't be in regular games too.

and i would keep only one ranking, theres only one account per player it does not matter how many units he has or how many different team builds he plays with. the player's career is one and should be ranked among all the others in one single place.

The problem with only allowing matches at multiples of 3 is that new players can't use their newly-promoted units as they work up to a full team! And less-new players can't use their newly-promoted-to-rank-2-or-3 units as they work their way up!

they can, when they get 3 of them. that's for elo games. they can try them as they see fit in friend matches which should have no limits whatsoever.

this would move the players population in packs rather than scattered.

Note, I did suggest the idea of all-time ranking aggregating tournament rankings, but I also mentioned that tournament games form a small fraction of the total play achieved in the game, and this may obscure/abstract the sense of purpose and progression of the game further, if there isn't something to track games outside of tourney. (That was a horrible run-on sentence, I know).

Now, what to track and how to track outside of tournaments, is the question I'm pondering.