Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Revamping the Renown System

Revamping the Renown System

Currently the accumulation of renown is just mind boggling slow, even if you purchase bonuses it is still quite low.

First is an example to demonstrate.

Promblem - Rank 2 requires 20 kills and 150 renown to upgrade from rank 1-2. The basic unit also costs 10 renown and 5 kills or 30 renown + 40 to upgrade from basic. Altogether that is 20 kills and 220 renown or 25 kills and 200 renown. Based on consitent scoring matches we are looking at approximately 16 matches give or take. Let us say an average 15 min match and were looking at 4 hours roughly to get 1 unit from basic to rank 2. Do a little quick math and that is 20 hours to get 5 rank two's.

Solution - Adjust it so that upgrading costs for units are either via kills OR renown. Not both!

The other two alternatives are increasing the current renown earnered by at least a factor of 2, more than likely 3. Or on the other hand, reduce the costs a fair margin.
    Last edited by Lament; 03-07-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Just some notes on the math:

First, it's worse than you say: you forgot the 40 to upgrade from zero to one. So 180->220, 160->200.

A killed unit gives you its rank in renown, so a top-level team is worth 18. A win against that should net you 20 or so. Until you get there, as you add higher-rank units, you'll be facing higher-rank teams and getting more renown per kill.

I still say some renown values should increase.

- Is a 50% reduction in my turn time worth only 2 renown? Seems a little low. I suggest 4.

- One renown for a win seems very trivial to me. Higher ranked matches take longer to do. So that 20-30 minute win nets me 1 renown.... woohoo. I suggest 3-5 depending on relative rank of the team. Even more would not be out of the question.

- Additional ways to earn bonus renown would be good to.

I can understand and appreciate the time it takes to level a unit. Currently though the leveling system is not very good imo. If that were to change then the grind would be more tolerable. I do not care if you scale everything up a bit. Just make me feel like I have earned enough. Right now I do not feel like I am getting what I am worth. I am fine with like 8-10 battles for rank 2. Rank 3 seems a little high though imo. I do appreciate the lowering of rank 1 though.

Quote Originally Posted by franknarf View Post
    A killed unit gives you its rank in renown, so a top-level team is worth 18.
    So I take it that level 0 and 1 units are worth the same, but level 2 units are worth more?

I thought so...my memory isn't what it used to be, so I might have this wrong.

150 renown for an upgrade is way, way too much. Reduce to something reasonable like 50 or 75.

Before this update, I had no problem with Renown and its F2P aspect.

Now it looks like a hell of a grind, EVEN with the 18 euro boost, which is ridiculous. Seriously, I was praising this game as a rare case of F2P done good. It saddens me to say that now it looks - *looks*, nothing conclusive there yet - like any other money-grabbing F2P setup.

Well could be high...just also note people need something to spend the renown on. People have max rank 1 teams less than 2 weeks after launch. Would probably take 2-3 weeks to make a full rank 2 team. And 2.5 months for a full rank 3 team?

At least you do have something to put the renown into over a long period of time. And not "k, I've maxed out after 1 month, what do I do now?"

That assumes you only want 1 team of a rank 2. Which to me, is extremely boring and hugely time consuming.

Not necessarily. It's just that people need to stop thinking of progression in increments of total 6 promotions. Yes 6 fills the team, but also remember, you're not likely to require a complete team overhaul to reach a new build, just change out a unit or 2. Moreso when you already have access to the ability of a particular unit from rank 1? This means once before and after you hit 6 you actually build 1 at a time.

I'd expected rank 2 to cost 100 rather than 150, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be (and certainly not money-grabby, I really do not think so).
    I think Carrots hits it on the head : how do you keep people from obtaining everything they want in the first month after release ? I think that's what the devs are balancing for.
    Admittedly I have been playing more than the average player, but before rank 2s started to roll in I already had 15 rank 1s (which will be even easier to get now). And for most of my playtime I did not use expert mode nor had a booster (actually purchased the permanent booster, but only a few days ago).
    The rank 2s will need work to get to, and that's OK.
    I, for one, don't want to see rank 12 teams all over the place any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    I'd expected rank 2 to cost 100 rather than 150, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be (and certainly not money-grabby, I really do not think so).
    I don't think it is their intent either, but the patterns the game falls into start resembling F2P games that are very much pro-money-bono.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    I think Carrots hits it on the head : how do you keep people from obtaining everything they want in the first month after release ? I think that's what the devs are balancing for.
    That is a question of game design. Should a game offer solid gameplay which makes people come back to it over and over again despite having all features unlocked at the start or should the long, drip-drip-drip progression be the gameplay itself? F2P aspect does not help at all, as it gives the devs all the wrong motivations.

To each their own, of course, but grind really kills it for me.

It is a concern, and to each his own, but to focus on a phrase you mentioned:

Should a game offer solid gameplay which makes people come back to it over and over gain despite having all features unlocked...
    I think the game achieves enough of this from rank 1 play already. And with a rank 2 team being achievable within a month of steady(not intensive) play...I think it's a good middleground.

The opposite is as true, in the extreme that everything, even rank 3, is unlocked within 1 week, many players will also lose interest and motivation.

2700 to upgrade from all rank 1s to all rank 3s. By their cash-shop value that is well over $100. It really needs to be recosted, or renown gain increased. They claim to want a not pay-to-win model, but this is making the game pay2win (or grind for 60+ hours).
    Last edited by Lubanja; 03-08-2013 at 10:05 AM.

It's pay to advance quicker. If you spend $$$ on advancing units to rank 3 it doesn't mean you're a winner. Game starts after the tutorial at power 1 (i.e with the free thrasher) and building your team is part of the experience, as it is in every strategy / rpg game - from zero to hero.

EDIT:
    Personally, I have little interest in rank 2 and 3, too much grind for me with a single build. I would rather build a different rank 1 build and see how it goes.

I think that the mindset of a fully ranked team only approach (in contrast to advancing units one by one) is from the fact that you can buy the experienced units, so rather than having to progress your team from scratch you just grind until you have enough to buy a full rank 1 team. Although it's impossible to do with rank 2 and 3, people still remain in the same mindset.

BTW: I love to see the kill-count removed as a requirement for promotion and have the battle count per unit be used instead (so there's is no issue of SB not being able to finish off units while archers going crazy with finishing kills etc.)
    Last edited by piotras; 03-08-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    Well could be high...just also note people need something to spend the renown on. People have max rank 1 teams less than 2 weeks after launch. Would probably take 2-3 weeks to make a full rank 2 team. And 2.5 months for a full rank 3 team?

At least you do have something to put the renown into over a long period of time. And not "k, I've maxed out after 1 month, what do I do now?"
    Exactly, thats the same way i see things, i have had no issue so far gaining renown, as for yesterday i had 500 renown standing there doing nothing(i had already 20 units, of them 12-14 were rank 1, and had bought 3 Barracks upgrades)

So when rank 2 and 3 came out i was able to upgrade a couple of units to level 2 and still have like 200 renown left...

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    I don't think it is their intent either, but the patterns the game falls into start resembling F2P games that are very much pro-money-bono.

That is a question of game design. Should a game offer solid gameplay which makes people come back to it over and over again despite having all features unlocked at the start or should the long, drip-drip-drip progression be the gameplay itself? F2P aspect does not help at all, as it gives the devs all the wrong motivations.

To each their own, of course, but grind really kills it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubanja View Post
    2700 to upgrade from all rank 1s to all rank 3s. By their cash-shop value that is well over $100. It really needs to be recosted, or renown gain increased. They claim to want a not pay-to-win model, but this is making the game pay2win (or grind for 60+ hours).
    You guys seem to be misunderstanding what p2w stands for. This game is in no way shape or form a pay to win format. Now you can clearly argue that it is a pay to ADVANCE format and you'd be totally right.

Pay to win gets the name from the unfair advantage a player who spends money has over one who does not. Someone could spend 10000$ on this game and have no advantages over someone who spent nothing, they simply have top ranked units that play against other peoples top ranked units.

Now could the renown take some tweaking? Definitely. Could it be steering people towards buying renown? Pretty likely but, I don't think Stoic is intent on bleeding people dry or boring them away from their game. It most likely (since this isn't a finished game) just needs more balancing.

For me the renown gain is also about the pride of earning that victory or winning that underdog match and being rewarded for it as what I feel I deserve. Or reaching that achievement for an extra boost. If people do not get what they feel they deserve (within reason) than it demotivates them to play.

One renown for a win? That is too low. Especially for a hard fought battle. I feel I deserve more so it devalues every win. Makes them feel like not much of an accomplishment. I got 1 renown for my epic comeback underdog win. I felt cheated. One lousy renown? I could have just surrendered and played another match it would have been faster and I would earn more renown that way. I have seen this trend where people surrender more now. Not only to they will earn renown faster by just playing another fight, but it also slows your opponents team leveling down, especially with under rank 6 teams counting for elo. It is more productive when farming for renown to surrender than finish a match. It should not be that way. I got a 12 win streak. Not a lot compared to the other cheesy farming players, but I felt like it was a good thing. What did I get? 1 renown. woohoo. Again it is not enough. With the game balance now though I would not raise this any.

My point? Raise the amounts that players get so they feel like they are getting a better reward for their efforts. I do not care of you scale up the costs of the units to match. I would rather get 5-10 renown for a win and have base units cost say 25 instead of 10 then 1 renown for a win with 10 cost units. I want to feel rewarded for my efforts and good play. Right now I do not feel this way.

Some ideas for renown:
    - 1 renown for every unit alive at the end of the match
    - 1 renown for every WP stored in the horn
    - 1 renown for the win for every rank the team is to a min of 5. (so winning against a rank 6 team nets 6 renown)
    - 1 renown for an underdog bonus for every rank of the higher level team you beat
    - 1 renown per rank of the unit killed (to a min of 1). So killing a rank 2 unit nets you 2 renown.
    - expert bonus should be increased to 3 (I am losing 1/2 of my turn for 2 renown...)
    Have a random bonus objective or two that pops up every fight for extra renown for your team. This could be programed several ways including some based on bg composition. Like:
    - 1 renown for using a special x times during a match
    - 1 renown for not spending any wp on a certain unit
    - 1 renown for getting 2 kills with 1 unit (used for low str units only)
    - 1 renown if they survive until the end (this would be good in like BB who die often)
    - 1 renown for getting x armor break with a unit.
    and many more could be programmed. These would be random and different for each player. You could get say 2 per match and 3 if you are on a x winning streak or 4 in an underdog match. In this way you can earn extra renown and it discourages surrendering.

I am all for having to wait a bit to level my units and understand not wanting to be able to build a rank 3 team in a few weeks. I just feel the values should be increased across the board for the gains. If you want to raise other costs after that I am fine with it.

Hi Vexbane, some interesting ideas you proposed, and some which have been suggested also during beta, who's to say the renown for doing stuff in battle won't be coming at some point (I suggested that before too).

Just to note some things though:
    1. No Elo is recorded now for teams under 6 power.
    2. Most people can earn 10 renown total per win, while the defeated party walks away with about 5-6 renown. (Meaning the accumulated bonuses from winning, besides the win bonus itself is +4 renown: +1 for win+1-2 for full 6 kills, +1 for win streak).
    3. The units alive and horn willpower to renown is something questionable because these may create unwanted player behavior or conflict with the main objective of winning the match.
    4. I think bonus renown for playing at, with, and against higher tier/power teams is planned to be implemented, but in the resolution screen instead of per unit-rank killed.
    5. It is probably better to keep the gap of renown between winning and losing moderate, because while we do want tor reward a player for winning, we want the experience to be fun, and fulfilling for both parties, not just the winner .

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    2. Most people can earn 10 renown total per win, while the defeated party walks away with about 5-6 renown. (Meaning the accumulated bonuses from winning, besides the win bonus itself is +4 renown: +1 for win+1-2 for full 6 kills, +1 for win streak).
    Not to nitpick seeing as it's only 1pt of renown, but since it's such a small number to begin with.....My wins usually net me 9 for a win. And that's including all kills, win streak bonus, and daily match bonus.

So no 10 is not the norm. I've gotten as low as 7 with a win before, and based on the cost of promotions and the fact your avg game is 15-20min that's absurdly low.
    Last edited by scase; 03-09-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast