Thread: Map with fire on the middle.

Map with fire on the middle.

Is really bad. I just spent 10 mins where no one landed a single hit. We both placed our units on other sides of the map and no one could get across without suiciding. Map works only if you are both placed on same side.

P.S. My opponent left because it was too boring.

It's not necessarily suicide to cross the fire! It only deals one strength damage per tile you enter, not to mention that archers can shoot across it.

That one dmg is not a problem. But to do so you need to put a guy out of position or do that 1 dmg on more than one unit.

I've had games where I'v needed to cross 4-5 units and pull through for the win. It's a tough map to play on, for anyone, but that's also what makes it interesting. I do think it is tough when one side camps, but camping is more punishable in Factions than it is a problem for other games.

I like this map and have had some good matches on it. If you both line up on the same side it can be brutal. Or you can go corner to corner and have a stand-off game, or any in-between. I think there should be more maps like this honestly.

The "fire map" (Great Hall) punishes certain builds more than others. If you are running all melee or mostly melee, I'm sure you find the Great Hall to be an absolute nightmate, as your "flanking" options are more limited and the narrowness of the lane makes your approach very predictable and moreso suceptable to funneling.

That's not to say that all players interpret the limitations of this map as a bad thing. It certainly requires a different opening positionining of your units to help alleviate all the potential areas your opponnent could be lining their units up, and (it is my opinion) that this bit of variation actually adds an interesting element when building your team. If we're not putting together a team full of all raiders and warriors, we might think "well, how will my turn order play out when at the Great Hall and my opponent has lined up in the opposite corner? Similarly, how will this play out on the Beach?"

That being said it certainly does suck when the begginning of the matches draw out at the Great Hall. However, keep in mind that we have complete control over these situations. If we just moved our units forward then later became frustrated when the situation arose where there was the fire pit between us and our opponnent... well then perhaps we need to rethink our approach towards our opponent at this map?

Great Hall is my favorite map. I the decisions that the fire forces players to make. Many opponents I have found are overly scared of the fire and I can use it as more or less a one-way wall. Having a smart approach to the fire can give you an enormous tactical advantage, especially over players at lower ELOs

I love that map. Especially when I use a Strongarm and a Skybreaker. Fun times stunning warhawk on the coals.

It is an interesting map to be sure, but it can also be incredibly frustrating for players who don't have as much experience in the game. It's kind of an "expert" map, and you can really only do well once you understand a lot of banner saga's concepts.

It's also too much of a crapshoot. As Platypus said, it punishes certain builds greatly. Got two slow moving varl? Have fun not being able to use the center of the map at all because you take two damage from crossing the flames and you won't be able to move all the way across without getting surrounded by your opponent waiting on the other side.

Since we have no say in what map we actually get to play on (which I like for the most part) it seems weird that there are 4 or 5 maps with little terrain to get in the way, but then a single map where terrain is the deciding factor for how you play.

I'll keep playing that map sure, but that doesn't mean I don't roll my eyes whenver it comes up in the rotation.

@RomanLegacy, I'm not so sure about that. I run 2 varls, 1 archer, and I adore playing Great Hall, even (especially?) when we deploy on opposite sides of the fire pit.

I think it takes quite a bit of higher level play though to be able to manage multiple groups of your units, and determining how to split them so that your two groups won't get smashed apart in smaller numbers.

I wasn't trying to say that varl aren't usefull on that map, but rather that the typical use for sheildbangers (hold the line in the middle) doesn't work on that map, while it works fine on all the others.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it gives people who understand the different ways to play on that map an event stronger advantage then another player in normal play. If I'm playing someone who is much better than me on that map, I'm like to be humiliated, rather than on every other map where I will only be defeated. If I'm playing someone who is worse than I am, I'm likely to stomp them on that map, rather than just win the match.

If the map design rewards an understanding of the game, then its working as intended, I believe.
    Last edited by Anodai; 03-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    In game name: Brutlius

I hate this map. It takes too long to effectively attack a defensive (cowardly) player from cross positions.

Mouton has it. I field an SRM partially cause it's so fun to have one if the fire map comes up. Also, if my opponent lines up on one side I like to keep my SS on the opposite side of the fray directly next to the fire and shoot RoA into the middle of the field. Annnd I agree with the assessment that all melee teams suffer on this map, as well as double SB teams.
    that which does not kill you often leaves you handicapped

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLegacy View Post
    It's also too much of a crapshoot. As Platypus said, it punishes certain builds greatly. Got two slow moving varl? Have fun not being able to use the center of the map at all because you take two damage from crossing the flames and you won't be able to move all the way across without getting surrounded by your opponent waiting on the other side.
    I have two varls and I love both this and the "four wooden stumps" map exactly because I have to carefully maneuver those fat horned bastards. But when it works, it works beautifully.

I wouldn't mind if the fire was reduced by one tile on each side

I just line up my team symmetrically in the middle of the map with my melee fighters as close to the fire pit as possible. no matter which side my opponent is on i can easily adjust and move in for combat. if I do need to cross the fire pit, i try to do it early before my team has already taken serious hits.