Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Skinchangers

Skinchangers

I don't know if there are plans for this, or if it fits with the lore of The Banner Saga world, but it occurred to me that Skinchangers (i.e., Shapeshifters) of some kind might be interesting characters/units to have in the game.
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

Shapeshifting actually occurs quite a lot in Nordic lore. However, it was rarely used in combat situations, more as a form of escape or fast travel: shapeshifters (often gods or giants with magical powers) would typically turn into falcons, eagles, seals, or fish. Loki (the trickster) is the god most associated with shapeshifting, he does it at some point in nearly every story where he appears; for example, he turns into a mare (very sexy one I guess) to lure away the workhorse of a giant whose work was progressing too fast for the gods' taste, a falcon to travel to faraway places as a messenger or spy, and a fish while trying to escape from the gods once they'd finally had enough of him.

So... lorewise I'd find it slightly incorrect for guys to turn into big bears and go smashing faces in combat, but only slightly so. It would be acceptable. Turning into a bird to "teleport" to any square on the map, or some other mobility-based ability, would be quite appropriate however.

Very interesting idea. Perhaps, as a special/active ability, the unit turns into a beast/animal, then performs his attacking (or defensive) move and remains in this form until the start of his next turn (like the other "buffs": SnB, SW, RoA etc). Obviously, this transformation should have some negative side-effects, e.g. if he turns into a animal, his STR increases, but his ARM drops. I like it
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

very interesting idea. ability wise, this would be really awesome. not sure how it'd fit in with the rest of saga lore though, having an entire class that transforms into animals wouldnt just be a small detail haha but you could have associations with animals, like a viking who had the strength of a bear, another with the speed of a tiger, or another with the armor of a rhino etc. i think having an ability-related trait like that would be more easier to fit into saga world

Quote Originally Posted by roder View Post
    not sure how it'd fit in with the rest of saga lore though
    I am envisaging a druid-like unit-genre (perhaps those Menders?) that splits up in classes with the following abilities:
    • Elements manipulation -- e.g. wind, earth, water, fire-related abilities
    • Flora/Plants manipulation -- e.g. mess with vines, roots, acorns, poisons
    • Fauna/Animals manipulation -- e.g. skinchangers, power-of-{X animal} abilities, summon beast
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    Interesting for sure!
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead