Thread: A modest proposal, offline play

A modest proposal, offline play

Greetings,
    been a bit of talk around the place about matchmaking issues, ranking issues, win streak issues etc.
    I am convinced most of these could be solved with this one proposal.

Offline play.
    I understand we lose the time pressure to make decisions, however I'd suggest that this system could operate alongside the current system. If the requirement for both players to be online and in queue at that particular moment the matchmaker could find much better matches. Those at the top would play each other, those in the middle would play other middle players. Win streaks would be the result of skill and/or abusing overpowered builds,* not abusing poor match making.

Lets take the pressure off the matchmaker and allow offline play. Imagine you saw player X climbing up the win streak board threatening your position? Challenge them, end their streak (Or be one more step on their road to victory). You rate yourself highly and you want Elo faster? Challenge those top players, beat them and take the sweet sweet rewards.
    You just want a game you can enjoy, even teams even ranking, get the MM to find you an opponent at your level.

I don't know whether or not specific player challenges should be allowed, perhaps just a rating difference specified or...

*I have no problem with OP build abuse, the community will spot them and either develop counters or everyone switch to them and most likely Stoic will re-balance them.

By offline play, I think you mean play-by-mail? (Stoic HAS said that they want to have local hotseat gameplay, which would be truly offline, but that the programming likely won't be done for a LONG time.)

I personally would never play this, as for me part of the fun of Banner Saga is that games last 20 minutes. In fact, Frozen Synapse (a game I've mentioned elsewhere on the forums) does this sort of wait-for-opponent matchups, and I found that games which lasted more than a week were highly annoying. But at least there, you give your entire team orders at once, rather than responding play-by-play. Given that TBS:F consists of games with at least 60 or so turns, then a single game against a person who is never online when you are would take 30-60 days, easily. And I don't see it as being fair to force a player to play more than once per 12-hour period, at least, since a lot of us have jobs.

So if you are suggesting a mode where I can be forced into one of these offline play-by-email style games via a challenge, then I'll protest. Otherwise, if Stoic has the manpower and the game community has the will for 2-month games, I guess that's fine. Personally, I would much rather see improvements to the core gameplay that will attract more players (and thereby create more balanced games.)

Well yeah play by email....sort of.
    Not needing you to save the turn file, open up your email client and send it to your opponent.

Play by email in the sense that frozen synapse is yes.

It isn't the systems fault, it is the players. So the current players just need to change them selves so that the system works...not sure I agree there.
    So how would you ensure that the top players actually play each other? As in the top NA/SA/Oceanic player plays the top Russian/Euro/Indian player? Since they are not logged in at the same time they never compete directly.

tnankie - I'm not sure it's clear what you are asking for here. By offline play you don't appear to literally mean offline, as you can't challenge another player from far away while you are both offline.

Are you suggesting ranked matches with no timer, but you can sort of call upon a person for a match and have it be ranked?

One side effect of being able to directly challenge an opponnent when you have a visable Elo ranking is manupulation of the system. By being able to effectively choose your opponnents, you can manupulate your ranking by simply by having more than one account or getting someone to help you climb by having them intentionally lose to you over and over again.

Yes effectively delayed turns, think hero academy, think frozen synapse, think laser squad nemesis. Yes you have to connect to the internet to play, but both players do not have to be online at the same time. I submit my move, you submit your move I submit my move, the only difference is there may be some Substantial amount of time between those two events.

Perhaps as Robert said there are too many turns in Factions for this to work, I am not convinced however, additionally this would not be a replacement system, merely an augment.

wouldn't help too much slimey, you'd only be able to climb above certain plateaus as once elo difference gets big elo ceases to be gained.
    Last edited by tnankie; 03-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Hero Academy has five actions per turn (not 1-2, depending on how you count Banner Saga's). Frozen Synapse and Laser Squad Nemesis both let you move everyone simultaneously. This drastically cuts down on the time it takes to play one intercontinental game (where I'm assuming 1-2 turns per 24-hour period.)

So I still think this was precluded by the initial design decisions.

That said, I didn't know what Hero Academy was until you mentioned it. Is now on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by tnankie View Post
    wouldn't help too much slimey, you'd only be able to climb above certain plateaus as once elo difference gets big elo ceases to be gained.
    You just need to have more accounts, that you set at different Elo levels below your main one... I agree that after a while it becomes more and more difficult to gain renown but you can in theory continue indefinitely

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheScott View Post
    Hero Academy has five actions per turn (not 1-2, depending on how you count Banner Saga's). Frozen Synapse and Laser Squad Nemesis both let you move everyone simultaneously. This drastically cuts down on the time it takes to play one intercontinental game (where I'm assuming 1-2 turns per 24-hour period.)

So I still think this was precluded by the initial design decisions.

That said, I didn't know what Hero Academy was until you mentioned it. Is now on my wishlist.
    Yeah it is much better suited to a simultaneous resolved turn, 'wego' rather than pure turn based...however I do play chess (turn based) regularly in this format and I am quite happy with it.